63% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Lion of Judah Reviews

February 5, 2014
I lay here speechless on how to open this review in third person upon realizing this is the first animated movie I've given a zero in two years. The last animated film to have garner that was the ever so infamous "Titanic: The Animated Movie" which had talking rats, a rapping dog, a two minute romance, and ended with "Happily Ever After". My criteria for any animated film to earn a zero I thought was originally unobtainable as a animated movie had to equal or be worse than "Titanic: The Animated Movie". "The Lion of Judah" without question has set a new low standard for all future bad animated movie to scope down to.

The Lion of Judah follows the overly long, uninspired, stereotypical, and drawn out adventures of a bold lamb (Judah) and his friends (The Stable-Mates) as they try to avoid the sacrificial altar the week preceding the crucifixion Jesus Christ. Oh man where to even begin. Just about everything you could think off a film could do wrong this film does. All the characters are annoying stereotypes consisting of the dumb character, an emo, an energetic child, wise old man, unfunny comedic relief, and every shallow character type in existence. Plot points are drawn out to unbearable length consisting of moments that kill brain cells. Pointless conversations involve crows (one with an eye patch) talking about how his dream of sheets, animals debating on kicking a box, a discussion on whether or not to save a friend who's to be killed, and stretching every joke at it disposal. Making all this more painful is moving at the pace of a glacial. Glacially pace you'll slowly begin to discover the film reuses the same formula for three acts. All the acts require one of the main character to be saved only to be captured again two more times. So with no character to latch on to, a glacial pace that where a single joke can be stretched to several minutes, and three acts that reuse the same formula it further deteriorate itself by involving a false understanding of Christianity.

Now the title of the film is "The Lion of Judah" which is very misleading. There is not a single lion or an animal that remotely resemble a lion in the film. The character Judah is a lamb and according to his mother will set animals...no human free. Although I am not a Christian the film false understanding of Christianity and the nerve to deliver a message from its false understanding is a slap to the face having the subtlety of nuclear bomb. It's about as force as you can get in message delivery. The worst part being Jesus Christ teachings takes a back seat to slapstick. There is not a minute that goes without slapstick yet Jesus Christ crucifixion is a throwaway plot point. Telling us nothing about Christ or his teachings serving no significance in the story. Downright insulting it audiences by daring not to go into the grey area of religion. Combining all these flaws into a single script it's incredible how a film that's under ninety minutes could feel like five dull hours of pure nothingness yet be very insulting on the way it handles religion.

Animation has never been so cheap, ugly, stiff, and most importantly lazy. Anything that requires basic movement goes very slowly even during the motion of running and flying there's no distinction in speed movement. Characters models aside from being undetailed scream pure laziness. Certain animals will have fur that remain in place while other animals (some of the same kind) will have no fur at all. Another issue being the basic anatomy is inconsistent. There are several occasion where animals body parts are larger than they normally are. Further criticizing the sheer lack of effort are body parts goes through characters bodies. As for the visuals they are far behind Toy Story which was released in 1995. Textures are ugly becoming fuzzy whenever shown up close. Worse of all there are several scenes where textures on a wall, animal, or fur haven't render correctly and is left as it is. Looking and moving like an early alpha for a video game. Voice acting is not worth discussing. Ironically given the characters stereotypical personalities the voice actor sound exactly how they would. This not a good thing since some of the voices come across racial stereotype (the horse midway in the film gains an cliche Indian accent). Music on the other hand is forgettable. Only being used in montages comes and goes away quickly.

The Lion of Judah is an endurance test in tolerance with the viewer reaping no benefits from what they what see. There is no effort presented in any frame of the film. Animation and visuals are inferior to the first 3D animated film ever made, a plot with nothing redeeming, racial stereotype voice acting, and finally feeling longer than it actually is. Nothing about "The Lion of Judah" is interesting, passionate, or watchable. It's existence is a sin to all things cinema.

The Aftermath of "The Lion of Judah":

So not only was it that I just viewed a film that had completely wasted my time, my breathe, and my eyesight, but on the same day after finishing viewing it my internet service experiences an outage. This being the first time this ever happened I can only conclude that this film was cursed in more ways than one. Ironically my internet was out for two days and it just so happen to have come back on the third day. Talk about irony.
March 16, 2014
This is a great kids move. We loved it!

February 5, 2014

The Aftermath of "The Lion of Judah":

May 6, 2012
Grown up with animals I am used to the fact that animals only show their teeth if they feel deep pain or extreme fear. That turns the message of the movie towards a victory of evil and a destiny of torture and suffering.
April 5, 2012
Greatest. Movie. Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 28, 2012
The 1998 film The Prince of Egypt did better than this, and NOWHERE in the movie did it have talking animals--it didn't offend too many folks either. But this takes Babe and the Passion together and kills any hope of a faith-based movie in theaters anytime soon.
March 26, 2012
i understand this is meant to lightly amuse and teach the young religious values. but u can at least have put a "mustard seed" of effort?
March 26, 2012
Bland animation along with a medeocre script and a wated talent of the great Ernest Borgnine. It also fails in keeping Christian themes and doesn't know what it's target audience is.
June 20, 2011
Worst excuse for an animated film. It may have a Christian overtone, but Christ may even call this film a failure.
GLADYS C.
June 6, 2011
Awesome movie!!!, Very entertaining; Great music, Very funny, sweet, with great teaching.
June 5, 2011
Went to see The Lion of Judah last night. My girlfriend and I were the only two people in the theater! It's a well intended movie but I have to agree with the critics - the storyline was disjointed, animation lacking refinement with unnatural movement on flat, glitchy backgrounds (it was obvious they were on a budget), the dialogue was uneven and most of the jokes were weak. You could feel that the movie was trying too hard to be "cool" for the younger set. This movie will have to rely on field trips by vacation bible schools and Sunday-school teachers to regain their investment. Once again, good message...mediocre execution.
June 2, 2011
I love this movie. Don't believe those grumpy critics. It's especially for kids, and the "big kids" who I know that have seen it, love it too. Very very sweet and it's nice to see a movie with a message, not just entertainment for entertainment's sake.
May 18, 2011
This is an amazing animated cartoon, far surpassing looney tunes from my youth. It made me think spiritually. Anything that makes me thinki