Epic Win or Epic Fail?

Given the talent involved and the possibly interesting storyline, will Lone Ranger be a Pirates of the Caribbean level success or a John Carter level fail?
Sharkour
06-21-2013 10:30 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Justin Martin

Justin Martin

Terrible movie!

I usually like Johnny Depp's movies but this was just so boring!

Incredibly long, and for being that long, way too slow!

I read that this was funny, and action packed. Besides a few scenes of guys getting punching holes in each other, there wasn't a lot of action nor was it funny.

Just a bunch of walking around, and terrible stereotypes. About what you would expect from Disney though. At least they aren't as racist as they used to be, but still.

Oct 4 - 11:34 AM

Carla Mertins

Carla Mertins

Win. One of the best films. Why did the critics trounce it? It was amazing? Great cinematography, great acting, great Disney moral lessons. Perhaps a little too long; but it was Disney and I, for one, thought a lot better than Pirates of the Caribbean where Johny Depp wstes his talent as continuously playing a drunk. This film will go down in history as the decade critique mistake. it was great.

Sep 20 - 04:17 PM

Mark Verdugo

Mark Verdugo

The critics are nothing more than paid liars. This movie is great and the screenplay is excellent. Loved the story.

Sep 26 - 08:40 AM

Mark Verdugo

Mark Verdugo

Agreed. Saw it. The movie is great and the screenplay is excellent. Love the story and the plot. The critics are paid liars.

Sep 26 - 08:46 AM

Mark Verdugo

Mark Verdugo

Agreed. The movie is great and the screenplay is excellent. Love the story.

Sep 26 - 08:46 AM

Justin Martin

Justin Martin

At least when he was a drunk he was funny, and entertaining. In this he did a lot of standing around, and talking crazy without being drunk.

Moral story? That bad guys have deformities?

Oct 4 - 11:36 AM

Mark C.

Mark Chaloner

Win! The film is lively and action packed and absolutely genuinely good fun. Armie Hammer is a genuine surprise because all the advertising and trailers are built around Johny Depp. Armmie Hammer carries his own and it is definitely not a Johnny Depp film. I would encourage anyone doubtful of going to see this to ignore the professional critics and get out there and go and see it. Doesn't matter whether you're old enough to remember The Lone Ranger television series or whether you're too young to know who The Lone Ranger was. The word awesome is a very overused word but this film is truly awesome - don't wait until it comes out on DVD, experience it at the cinema. Now!

Aug 17 - 04:10 AM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

I heavily agree with you there

Aug 19 - 01:41 AM

James Mitchell

anders peter

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Aug 28 - 02:56 PM

Mark Verdugo

Mark Verdugo

Fantastic movie. Great screenplay. I found the story excellent. The critics are nothing more than paid liars.

Sep 26 - 08:39 AM

Justin Martin

Justin Martin

Better than being an unpaid asshole with a high opinion of himself.

They were right, you are wrong.

It was incredibly long and slow. Very obvious that they threw a ton of money into it, for no real reason other than to make it look good.

Which is probably why everything else lacked substance.

Oct 4 - 11:38 AM

Peony Lee

Peony Lee

Epic Win. Under all those humor and actions, I felt this is a movie with message. In a sense, many of us are like John Reid. Starry-eyed, idealistic college graduate enters the real world, and soon realized ideals such as "Justice" don't exist in the dog-eat-dog world. Laws are made up by the rich and powerful ones. Progressions are driven by human greed. There are armies of hypocrites who kill in the name of God. The movie is so ridiculous, and yet so familiar at the same time.

LOVE IT!

Aug 15 - 03:31 AM

Mark Verdugo

Mark Verdugo

True! I agree 100%.

Sep 27 - 07:38 PM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

Win, One of the best films I've ever, ever seen. 71% of the critics act "critical" by abusing fantastic films. sure, it's long, but what do you expect? this?

(I sit down, about to watch a movie)
Me: *sneezes* oh, it's over.

Yes, there's action, like an action movie should have, but what do you expect? "The Care Bears Do Indiana Jones"? Yes, it bombed, all because of the critics. Make that into a burrito and eat it, this movie is a definite win.

Aug 12 - 12:51 AM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

Win, One of the best films I've ever, ever seen. 71% of the critics act "critical" by abusing fantastic films. sure, it's long, but what do you expect? this?

(I sit down, about to watch a movie)
Me: *sneezes* oh, it's over.

Yes, there's action, like an action movie should have, but what do you expect? "The Care Bears Do Indiana Jones"? Yes, it bombed, all because of the critics. Make that into a burrito and eat it, this movie is a definite win.

Aug 12 - 12:47 AM

James Mitchell

anders peter

oh yeah sure it bombed because of critics. oh sure totally. that is a load of shit and you know it

Aug 12 - 11:31 AM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

Have you got something nice to say?

Aug 12 - 10:36 PM

James Mitchell

anders peter

its the truth

Aug 13 - 07:34 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Aaron, you a little "funny" or is that your real hair in the avatar. You messed up anyway.

Aug 18 - 12:04 PM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

uhh... poor grammar, did not understand that at all

Aug 18 - 10:53 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

" 71% of the critics act "critical" by abusing fantastic films."

That's an idiotic justification. If you liked the movie, great, no one is gonna tell you you're wrong for liking a movie (or at least they shouldn't). But just because you liked doesn't mean critics MUST have had an agenda just because they disagree with you.

Sep 15 - 06:36 PM

Mark Verdugo

Mark Verdugo

Great, great movie. And the critics had a pre-conceived agenda and are nothing more than paid liars.

Sep 26 - 08:35 AM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

Can't agree with you more.

Sep 27 - 12:13 AM

Justin Martin

Justin Martin

You people are idiots.

It doesn't matter if you agree, I don't know a single person that goes by what some critic says. It flopped on its own, I thought it was terrible.

Worst movie I've seen in a long time.

Oct 4 - 11:41 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

like Ding Dong School here.................

Sep 28 - 07:23 AM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

Definite win. this is by far, one of the best movies I've ever seen

Aug 9 - 02:31 PM

Forest Goddard

Forest Goddard

Win. Trust me, critics just slammed this because its summer and they have nothing to do with themselves besides abuse great movies. Ok, Armie Hammer was a bit stiff towards the beggining. But what people seem to be missing is that the movie shows him loosening up and becoming the lone ranger, until at the end he finally lets out a "high-ho silver!". And oh geez its unrealistic, lets sue them. Its a movie people, if you want realistic go watch a fricken documentry! This movie would have been a huge success if nit for all the negative reviews from critics. I have a friend who was going to see this, but when it got bad reviews he said he wouldnt until I told him to go. Thus I rest my case.

Aug 7 - 10:19 AM

James Mitchell

anders peter

the lone ranger was anything but good. it flat out sucked

Aug 7 - 04:20 PM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

Explain why

Aug 12 - 12:52 AM

James Mitchell

anders peter

the runtime was way too long, it had about a thousand useless side plots, it had odd tonal shifts, a lame main character, mediocre acting from everyone except the two leads, and an astounding lack of action along with unfunny comedy.

Aug 12 - 11:30 AM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

you were obviously high when you went to see it.

Aug 15 - 10:37 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Aaron, you just strange is all

Aug 18 - 12:05 PM

Aaron Hughes

Aaron Hughes

what the hell are you going on about?

Aug 19 - 01:41 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

"critics just slammed this because its summer and they have nothing to do with themselves besides abuse great movies"

That's stupid and you should feel bad for saying it.

Sep 15 - 06:30 PM

Mark Verdugo

Mark Verdugo

Fantastic movie with a great script. The critics had a pre-conceived agenda and are nothing more than paid liars.

Sep 26 - 08:36 AM

PJ Veber

PJ Veber

WIN! The Lone Ranger is a WIN! It's WONDERFUL!

I usually only go to see a movie once when it's in the theaters, but I've already gone to see The Lone Ranger twice and plan to go an see it again on Friday before it leaves our area.

PS Johnny Depp deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of Tonto, especially as an old man.

Aug 1 - 01:30 PM

James Mitchell

anders peter

no.. just no

Aug 2 - 11:23 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

PJ, you just pee'd on your shoes

Aug 18 - 12:06 PM

Gord Hind

Gord Hind

The movie is very, very good. Critics may not like the backstory that shows how poorly Native Americans were treated (murdered) with western expansion. However, subtle humour, at times gave way to slapstick, and moved into action adventure. This movie has more of a conscience than people expected and that needs time to reflect.

Jul 22 - 11:00 AM

James Mitchell

anders peter

nope. the movie was just a mess, thats why the critics didnt like it. going by your logic if thats the case why did they like all those native american movies like dances with wolves?

Jul 22 - 08:32 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

Yeah, I'm kinda tired of people trying to deduce why critics didn't like it, and come up with reasons other than "they didn't think it held up when compared to other movies that aim to accomplish the same things"

It's ok to disagree with critics, but to come up with dumb excuses like how they hate how it shows how poorly we treated native americans is dumb. (you DO realize most critics are liberal right? as in, they acknowledge America wasn't awesome 100% of the time)

Jul 22 - 08:40 PM

James Mitchell

anders peter

shame most people dont realize that. i mean, personally i think the movie deserves more like a 55%. The critics are actually way more right than the audience. which is weird considering the past year it has usually been the other way around

Jul 24 - 04:17 PM

James Mitchell

anders peter

shame most people dont realize that. i mean, personally i think the movie deserves more like a 55%. The critics are actually way more right than the audience. which is weird considering the past year it has usually been the other way around

Jul 24 - 04:18 PM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

Y'know what? I liked it. It wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it kept my attention for two and a half hours. I liked the action scenes and most of the performances, and the comic relief wasn't that bad either. It could've been trimmed twenty or thirty minutes, though

Jul 17 - 12:00 PM

Dana Pankuch

Dana Pankuch

Most definitely a Pirates of the Caribbean level success! But it should have been called "Tonto" instead of "The Lone Ranger."

Jul 15 - 01:43 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I hope you're being sarcastic. This movie BOMBED at the box office.

Jul 17 - 03:40 AM

Margaret Griffin

Margaret Griffin

The reason it bombed was too many negative media reviews. Read what Forbes had to say. Review: 'The Lone Ranger' Is A Fun Summer Ride.http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2013/07/04/review-the-lone-ranger-is-a-fun-summer-ride/

Jul 20 - 10:02 AM

James Mitchell

anders peter

it bombed cause it didnt look good.

Jul 21 - 11:25 PM

Margaret Griffin

Margaret Griffin

I might add the following quote from Forbes, "In particular, the press has really been trumpeting their own horn in all of this, insisting for each film ?look at all our bad reviews, how could it possibly manage to have a successful opening after all this bad press?? Which brings us to the latest entry in the media?s self-hype about bad press ruining a movie?s chances of finding an audience ? The Lone Ranger, a film that?s about a hundred times better than you think it is due to the mindless press coverage and echo-chamber of the increasingly lazy professional critics. In this case, though, I think the press worked extra hard to ensure they?d control the narrative and render the outcome they insisted was unavoidable. Read on for the financial details"...

Jul 20 - 10:06 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

it really annoys me when people call critics lazy just because they disagree with their opinions. Movies aren't objectively good or bad.

Plus, if there's one thing Transformers or Twilight has taught us, it's that a movie can still make tons of money despite negative reviews. On the flipside, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World got great reviews but still flopped.

Jul 21 - 07:50 AM

Margaret Griffin

Margaret Griffin

I agree with you Dana. And Professor, the reason it bombed at the box office was the negative media before its release. Review: 'The Lone Ranger' Is A Fun Summer Ride: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2013/07/04/review-the-lone-ranger-is-a-fun-summer-ride/

Jul 20 - 09:59 AM

Margaret Griffin

Margaret Griffin

I agree with you Dana.

Jul 20 - 10:00 AM

Norman Cummerson

Norman Cummerson

Epic win never laughed so much since young Frankensein Blazing Saddles and Doctor Strangelove

Jul 14 - 06:07 PM

Margaret Griffin

Margaret Griffin

Me too.

Jul 20 - 10:03 AM

Elliott

Elliott's Daughter

Epic win for me and the crowd who saw it tonight. I guess the win v. fail crowd are on completely different train tracks. Personally, I think the negative critics are derailed. Hi ho Silver, away! Recommended.

Jul 13 - 07:43 PM

Elliott

Elliott's Daughter

Epic win for me and the crowd who saw it tonight. I guess the win v. fail crowd are on completely different train tracks. Personally, I think the negative critics are derailed. Hi hi Silver, away! Recommended.

Jul 13 - 07:43 PM

Geof Grooms

Geof Grooms

This movie was pathetic. How can you screw-up a story that bad, you have to work at it. Even the horse is reduced to kook and he doesn't have any lines. Wow, this was bad.

Jul 13 - 03:59 PM

Michael S.

Michael Simms

It's been awhile since I nodded off in a movie - but Lone Ranger pretty much put me right too sleep. There was nothing Epic about it, in success or failure. It was just an overly long movie with a meandering, confused script.

Jul 13 - 11:11 AM

Gord Hind

Gord Hind

You were expecting too much action/adventure. Look deeper

Jul 22 - 11:03 AM

Diane Strategos

Diane Strategos

I thought this movie was great. Lots of humor and action. A lot of fun. At times it is not realistic, but fun just the same.

Jul 13 - 08:52 AM

Paul Shelton

Paul Shelton

Johnny "Fricken" Depp...you MUST be kidding!!!!!!!!!!! And as a Native American no less!!!! Jesus Christ...I am Native American and I am HIGHLY OFFENDED!!!!!!!!!!!! The ONLY thing I would pay to see Johnny Depp do is jump from a ledge into the Grand Canyon (without a chute) or stand in front of an oncoming Amtrac train, running about 115mph!!!!!!

Jul 9 - 03:41 PM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

That was pointless and rude. Congrats.

Jul 12 - 07:49 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I'm sorry, but what exactly is racist about it? Are you offended that Native Americans are being associated with Johnny Depp? Oh the horror.

I'd understand if the character was played as stupid, mean, savage, incompetent, or stereotypical, but it sounds like your just complaining cause Depp is white.

Jul 12 - 08:51 PM

Geof Grooms

Geof Grooms

Actually he was playing a Pirate along with an incompetent stereotypical nut case. Being offended by the Depp/Pirate/Tonto is reasonable. Only the stereotypical bumbling college educated Lone Ranger looked worse.

Jul 13 - 04:03 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I'll have to take your word for it since I didn't see the movie, but I'm highly skeptical.

Jul 14 - 12:19 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

and that doesn't explain why having Depp play him is offensive.

Jul 14 - 12:31 AM

Nykirnsu 1.

Nykirnsu 1

Because Depp is white, Tonto is red, therefore it stands to reason that the actor who plays Tonto should also be red, not white.
It's pretty simple, an actor should match the race of a character.

Jul 17 - 02:35 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I don't see how that makes it offensive. Yes, it'd make more sense to cast a native american to play a native american, but I don't see how it's offensive to do otherwise. Anthony Hopkins played an American president. Is it an insult a British person is playing an American?

Jul 18 - 11:01 PM

Margaret Griffin

Margaret Griffin

You are so right, Justin.

Jul 20 - 10:08 AM

Vince Almaraz

Vince Almaraz

Based on the trailer, this film looks terrible!!! Horse riding on top of train? Horse riding through train while rider shoots at another guy also riding a horse through a train? LOL. Shoot, why don't they just break out some motorcycles with laser cannons on them while they are at it. How about broomsticks and wands? This film looks like a joke.

Jul 9 - 11:00 AM

Cristina Reyes

Cristina Reyes

Sorry, but that shit was awesome. In the movie that takes place with the William Tell Overture score playing... it was just the funnest scene I've seen in a movie. Who cares if it's not plausible?? that's what movies are for.. to do shit we can't ever do in real life.

Jul 12 - 07:58 AM

Kasandra Rose

Kasandra Rose

ITA Cristina. It was hysterical and I cheered and belly laughed from the first note till the last. Sure, it was campy but it was brilliantly so.

Jul 12 - 11:20 PM

Joel Durham

Joel Durham

Remember the big explosions? Wow, neat-o!

That's my takeaway from this joke of a film. If you're "entertained" by a long string of stunts and fireworks, you'll love it. Otherwise, it's shit. I swear I saw Bumblebee or Optimus Prime in the background somewhere, fighting a personified steam engine.

What a piece of crap. Way to shit on my childhood hero.

Jul 8 - 05:46 PM

Cristina Reyes

Cristina Reyes

Did you really see this movie?? Not too many explosions at all....

Jul 8 - 07:44 PM

Margaret Griffin

Margaret Griffin

You are right. I saw the movie too.

Jul 20 - 10:10 AM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomlede

In one scene of this movie there is a band playing a John Phillip Sousa march that was written thirty years after the timeframe that the movie takes place so it isn't a very historically accurate film :D

Jul 7 - 02:06 PM

Chase The Lost

I fail to see the point of this post.

Jul 7 - 02:43 PM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomlede

I was just pointing out one of the film's flaws that might cause people to think that it was an epic fail.

Jul 7 - 08:20 PM

Jonathan Lyonhart

jonathan Lyonhart

I also felt like the talking horse was bad history, because horses didn't talk back then in the 1800's. Also, Johnny Depp wasn't born until 1963, but Tonto first appeared in 1933 in cinema, and the film was set in the 1800's, so the whole thing is just one big chronological mess. These are just a few of the many bad historical points that might cause people to think that it was an epic fail.

Jul 14 - 11:35 AM

Dana Pankuch

Dana Pankuch

Thumbs up, Jonathan. Don't take this movie too seriously, folks. It's a hoot and a half!

Jul 15 - 01:39 PM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomlede

In one scene of this movie there is a band playing a John Phillip Sousa march that was written thirty years after the timeframe that the movie takes place so it isn't a very historically accurate film ??

Jul 7 - 02:05 PM

Isabel Capowski

Isabel Capowski

This is not a documentary. It is a great film. One of the best. Take your kids, yourselves and don't miss it - right down to The William Tel Overture. These critics need to lighten up.

Jul 7 - 01:16 PM

Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty

One of the best? Critic approval rating at 25% and audience approval at 68%. I will wait for it to come to cable. Even my friends that work for Disney said it's a stinker.

Jul 8 - 09:21 AM

Cristina Reyes

Cristina Reyes

Really not a stinker... it was really fun to watch..

Jul 8 - 07:45 PM

Paul Shelton

Paul Shelton

Evidently, YOU, have NEVER seen a decent movie and have NO FRICKEN IDEA HOW TO JUDGE A MOVIE!!!!
YOU, Cristina, are a full fledged IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 9 - 03:45 PM

atthemovies

Paul Arnold

Haven't you ever ignored the critics to find out that you enjoyed a movie that they didn't? I have on a few occasions. I ignored the critics this time around also and enjoyed it.

Jul 9 - 10:47 AM

Cameron Rich

Cameron Rich

I must have been one of the few that really liked this film. I'd definitely take the kids to see it. I don't really see the point of critics - its 100% personal opinion. And to rubbish someone because of an opinion ridiculously self centered and shows low self worth. I fully agree with you Cristina!

Jul 9 - 09:47 PM

Gord Hind

Gord Hind

Critics get paid to criticize. This movie was great.

Jul 22 - 11:06 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

If I had kids I would not see the need to torture them for almost three hours watching a character they don't know nor have any interest in.

Jul 8 - 10:05 AM

mike c.

mike collins

Absolutely awful. Unless you're five year's old, and have no idea who the Lone Ranger is, you will regret sitting through this stinker. Avoid at all costs.

Jul 6 - 06:53 PM

Cory Gross

Cory Gross

I liked The Lone Ranger before I saw this and I loved it. In talking with people afterwards, it became apparent that they missed huge parts of the film's subtext because they weren't familiar with the character.

Jul 7 - 03:29 PM

Hugh G. R.

Hugh G. Rection

A horrible fricking movie. More crow sh!t than on Depp's head.

Jul 8 - 03:26 PM

Lee Larson

Lee Larson

This movie once again proves that most critics are idiots. 3 and half out of 5.

Jul 6 - 04:22 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

Yeah, how dare critics not agree with Lee Larson. What idiots

Jul 7 - 09:25 AM

Martha Kaukeinen

Martha Kaukeinen

Fail, fail, fail!! Just a horrible movie. Horrible!

Jul 6 - 10:11 AM

Leland Burch

Leland Burch

Epic Win

Jul 5 - 07:44 PM

Hugh Jas

Hugh Jas

Epic Win.

Jul 5 - 03:04 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Not for the studios.

Jul 5 - 04:21 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

For all who predicted this would bomb.

Jul 5 - 06:17 AM

Pat ChalupaBatman

Pat ChalupaBatman

"No you just didn't get what Disney was trying to portray and achieve in this"

-Stupid yuppie entertained by dangling keys

Jul 5 - 02:01 AM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

Sounds like what comic book fans say to every comic book movie that has come out since 2004.

Jul 6 - 08:26 AM

Gigi Punx

Gigi Punx

I think the critics decided before this movie opened that they were going to hate it. We the people have a voice and we say, yes -- very enjoyable, want to see it again, would love a sequel.

Jul 4 - 12:29 PM

Kasun Lakshitha

Kasun Lakshitha

True..And we should let them know that they make films for people, not for critics..

Jul 7 - 04:23 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

guys, just cause YOU liked it doesn't mean everyone liked it. Did you not notice all the people agreeing that they hated it?

Jul 7 - 09:20 AM

Cory Gross

Cory Gross

It's currently sitting at 68% audience approval on RT. The fact that the audience approval rating has such a HUGE gap with the critic approval rating just demonstrates how out of it the critics are.

Jul 7 - 03:31 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I fail to see how that somehow indicates the fault lies with the CRITICS. Maybe the fault lies with the audience? I mean a critic's job isn't to just agree that whatever is popular MUST be good.

Jul 8 - 01:27 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

Just as an example, Twilight: New Moon has an audience approval rating of 78% vs the critical rating at 27%. You wanna go ahead and tell me the critics are dumb and that because audiences liked New Moon MUST mean the movie is good?

Jul 8 - 01:31 PM

atthemovies

Paul Arnold

And just because you didn't like it, it doesn't mean that everyone disliked it. If 68 percent of the people liked it how does that translate into all the people agreeing that they hated it? Your argument doesn't make a bit of sense.

Jul 9 - 10:54 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I don't even think you know what I'm arguing about. I never said I hated the movie nor that it is objectively bad. I'm just annoyed at people who seem to think that just because the audience disagrees with the critics it must mean there's something wrong with the critics.

Jul 9 - 12:19 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

also, when I said "Did you not notice all the people agreeing that they hated it?" I was referring to the people down below who were posting about how the movie was terrible, contrary to the previous post who seems to think everyone is in agreement that the movie is great

Jul 9 - 12:21 PM

Paul Shelton

Paul Shelton

That 68% is a CROCK OF SHIT!!!! That is a TOTALLY FABRICATED NUMBER, just like that BULLSHIT the OBUMMA Admin tries blowing up our ass!!!!!!

Jul 9 - 03:51 PM

Diana Bentley-Ramsden

Diana Bentley-Ramsden

Paul Shelton, why don't you take a chill pill? Not everyone has to agree with you. I don't know who you are, but after seeing your abusive posts here, I have zero respect for you. Take out your anger constructively on something important, not somebody else's opinion of a movie for Pete's sake.

Jul 9 - 05:30 PM

Cristina Reyes

Cristina Reyes

The movies were made for audiences. Twilight has their audience.. personally I find all their movies ridiculous and boring but they have an audience who loves it.. "The Lone Ranger" will find its audience.... it really is an enjoyable movie I don't see why anyone wouldn't really like it.

Jul 8 - 07:49 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

So? Does that mean critics can't hate it? That they can't give it bad reviews?

Yes, movies are made for audiences, but aren't critics just as much audience as anyone else? Are they not people? Are they not allowed to review a movie because they've seen lots of movies, start to recognize cliches, mistakes, and methods executed poorly compared to other movies?

It's funny how so many people accuse critics imposing their standards on a movie yet they themselves are doing the EXACT SAME THING. Just cause you like the movie doesn't mean everyone who disagrees must be wrong.

Jul 8 - 10:26 PM

atthemovies

Paul Arnold

"Just cause you like the movie doesn't mean everyone who disagrees must be wrong."

On the other hand, just because you or anyone else dislikes a movie it doesn't mean that everyone who disagrees must be wrong. Am I right?

Jul 9 - 11:02 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I never denied otherwise

Jul 9 - 12:17 PM

James Mitchell

anders peter

audiences are idiots nowadays. and the film does indeed suck.

Jul 8 - 03:44 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

I would say that it will fall somewhere in the middle. I doubt that it will be a pirate's hit, but it will not be a carter bomb. It is disney for one thing, that will get all the kiddies to ask their mommies and daddies to take them to see it. That alone is what? 20-30 dollars min. right there, not including snacks and drinks. It also has depp in it, so all the deppy millennial fanboys, gays, and girlies will see it because of that and they will bring their friends. So that's and easy 30-50 dollars there, again not including drinks and snacks.

Jul 4 - 10:38 AM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

Think of millions of people world wide doing that. That equals MONEY in the mouse's pocket. Financially will it be a flop? NO! Disney will make their money and then some. Reviews wise? Most likely. Fans of the tv show or the radio (40s, 50s, 60s, +) will most likely not like it. That is my complete take on it until I see it for myself.

Jul 4 - 10:41 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Don't trick yourself, this bomb will not make Disney money until after a couple of years on cable.

Jul 5 - 06:18 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Despicable Me 2 is stomping it, epic fail of epic proportions.

Jul 4 - 08:38 AM

Adam Henry

Adam Henry

Not considering how the quality in animated sequels have turned from Cinderella 3 to Toy Story 3 in a decade and remakes have a surprising flop rate. Madagascar's tomatometer raises slightly with each sequel, for example.

Jul 5 - 07:32 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

?
Where you trying to say something other than Madagascar's rating increasing?

Jul 6 - 04:02 PM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomlede

Just saw the film an hour ago, and it definitely had its fare share of problems. I don't want to list all of them because most are mentioned in the movie's reviews and also, I wouldn't quite consider it an epic fail either because it is bound to do well in the box office.

Jul 4 - 12:52 AM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomlede

Just saw the film an hour ago, and it definitely had its fir share of problems. I don't want to list all of them because most are mentioned in the movie's reviews and also, I wouldn't quite consider it an epic fail either because it is bound to do well in the box office.

Jul 4 - 12:51 AM

Van C.

Van Culpepper

I'm 41 and I grew up watching the original Lone Ranger series on Sunday mornings. I decided to take my 12 year old son to see the movie today and He liked it. I was ready to walk out of the theater 30 minutes in when the rabid cannibalistic bunnies attacked the scraps of rabbit meat Tonto threw to the ground during a campfire scene.

The original Lone Ranger was a "super hero." This rendition of the Lone Ranger was wimpy city boy who could barely fight his way out of a paper bag. The movie is a 2.5 hour long slap-stick joke and it will destroy the legend of The Lone Ranger for future generations.

Way to go Disney.

Jul 3 - 01:20 PM

Sandy Dew

Sandy Dew

Van, I also grew up with the series, but I have a different point of view on your impression. I think the point WAS to portray John Reid as the reluctant, somewhat "whimpy city boy" until he realizes his idea of justice doesnt always triumph, then (cue the wm. tell overture)...BECOMES the Lone Ranger and the hero we loved as kids...thats why I liked the movie

Jul 3 - 04:39 PM

Tanya M.

Tanya Maney

I agree with you Sandy....and I really liked the movie also:)

Jul 4 - 09:21 AM

Avenginator

mike spike

I, Vladimir Putin, should have been Lone Ranger! You cannot find more badass than me. Whimpy capitalist studio like Disney does not understand strong leaders, such as I, Vladimir Putin, You see my many photos of being badass. You wish to be me, but can only be wish. I am Vladimir the Strong and you are not. Lone Ranger is like me... socialist who destroys decadent capitalist railroad owners. Old west needs, I, Vladimir Putin! Strong! With or without mask.

Jul 7 - 01:49 PM

Cory Gross

Cory Gross

What Sandy said... This is an origin story, telling how John Reid grew to become the Lone Ranger. He wasn't starting out as the heroic figure of your childhood.

In fact, the framing sequence highlights the very thing you're complaining about. It starts in 1933, when the Lone Ranger radio show debuted, and the aged Tonto is talking to a fan of that show. He is claiming to be telling the true story of the Lone Ranger, not the heroic, two-fisted, square-jawed legend. However, it also becomes apparent that Tonto is an unreliable narrator, which raises the whole thematic subtext about how cultures - the USA in particular - constantly reinterpret their history.

To the point: your 12 year old loved it. The Lone Ranger has been reinterpreted to satisfying a modern audience. Far from ruining him for future generations, it has reintroduced him to them. Mission accomplished.

Jul 7 - 03:38 PM

Mikey M

Michael Mora

Epic Fail.

Jul 3 - 12:45 PM

Gigi Punx

Gigi Punx

You didn't see it, did you?

Jul 4 - 12:30 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

yep. he hated it, therefore he didn't see it.

Jul 9 - 08:18 PM

Frank Cvo

Frank Cvo

It began with Depp's premise that the original Lone Ranger TV series was racist for the way it portrayed Tonto. Depp ignored that Tonto was portrayed as a loyal and trusted companion who often had the answers needed to save the day. Nothing good could come from Depp's ridiculous premise.

Jul 2 - 11:36 PM

Jerry Cassidy

Jerry Cassidy

I just returned from enduring two-and-a-half hours of the most boring and pathetically bad movie I have ever seen. EPIC FAIL in every sense of the word. There were three people at the 10 o'clock show. By 10:45 I was the only one in the theater.

Jul 2 - 11:04 PM

Nihal Bhat

Nihal Bhat

yeah its set to flop big time

Jul 3 - 05:39 PM

Ivan Krizanac

Ivan Krizanac

100% Epic fail. Ridiculously cheesy and childish throughout the whole movie. The Lone Ranger couldn't die because he was the main character, and Tonto couldn't die because he was an old guy in the future and telling what he did to that little boy! So every time you saw one of these characters in danger (there were many of them), you knew they wouldn't die. The tune at the end that was played for an eternity was also quite childish and made me want to scream. Just everything about this movie is childish, it has dumb humor and is overall a horrible movie.

Jul 2 - 10:06 PM

Clover Wilson

Clover Wilson

100% agree! I just wish that people would see it for what it is and stop spending their money on it so Hollywood will finally stop vomiting out this TRASH. The only people who enjoyed it when I saw it yesterday looked to have sub-moron I.Q. levels. Humor for the idiot, action for the fools, violence for the angry teen and a story line for the brain-dead zombie. Sometimes someone does something that you wish they hadn't, this is one of those times.

Jul 5 - 08:24 PM

Kym Miller

Kym Miller

"The tune at the end"? Lol, are you talking about the "William Tell Overture". I agree that it was not a great movie, but it seems obvious from several points in your post that you're not familiar with the legend behind "The Lone Ranger" to begin with. It's supposed to be cheesy, and the main characters couldn't die because of who they are. Regardless of what storytelling devices they used, we knew they weren't going to die before we ever purchased a ticket. But, yeah, I agree there was a lot wrong with the movie -- mostly it's ridiculous length and over-the-top hamminess -- that could have been edited into a decent action film for kids.

Jul 8 - 12:29 PM

Kym Miller

Kym Miller

"The tune at the end"? Lol, are you talking about the "William Tell Overture". I agree that it was not a great movie, but it seems obvious from several points in your post that you're not familiar with the legend behind "The Lone Ranger" to begin with. It's supposed to be cheesy, and the main characters couldn't die because of who they are. Regardless of what storytelling devices they used, we knew they weren't going to die before we ever purchased a ticket. But, yeah, I agree there was a lot wrong with the movie -- mostly it's ridiculous length and over-the-top hamminess -- that could have been edited into a decent action film for kids.

Kym Miller

Kym Miller

Luis Garit

Luis Garit

Disney just needs to stop making all these live action films they all kind of suck. I feel like Lone Ranger is going to be what World War Z was suppose to be the John Carter of 2013.

Jul 1 - 11:18 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Except World War Z was good.

Jul 2 - 03:30 AM

White R.

White Rabbit

Epic Fail, if anyone even notices - The property seems to only appeal to sentimental 70 year olds. (Not that there's anything wrong with sentimental 70 year olds.) If 1981's "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" (with Christopher Lloyd as the villain and the still unknown voice dubbed-in Klinton Spilsbury as the Lone Ranger) couldn't cut it at 98 minutes thirty-two years ago, what made Disney think this faded franchise would work in the 21st century at an hour longer?

Why are these studio heads still employed? Who thought this would make money? Do we really need yet another Johnny Depp in funny make-up and wig movie? Wasn't Depp a good actor at one time? Believe it or not, MOVIES USED TO BE GOOD! 'nuff said.

Jul 1 - 04:09 PM

Frank Cvo

Frank Cvo

It would have worked if it had been true to the original tale. If it had portrayed valor and good instead of "hey, they were racist for the way they portrayed Tonto and now this isn't racist", then it would have worked. White hat heroes don't go out of style.

Jul 2 - 11:38 PM

White R.

White Rabbit

You might be right on the "white hat" relevance, but something like "Lone Ranger", "Green Hornet", "The Shadow", and "Flash Gordon" need to be handled with kid gloves and have a tasteful script of wit, respect to the origins, thoughtfulness and well-thought-out choreographed & edited action sequences. Unfortunately, contemporary production companies know nothing of storytelling or film making, they only know that they need a lot of CGI and 3D and be the top money maker. Maybe, possibly, Disney should have considered making LR and John Carter as animated movies, they would have been well under two hours and have some catchy tunes.

Jul 3 - 10:37 PM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

And here I was thinking it was a new Crow movie set in the wild west : / Nope, that's just Johny Tonto.

Jul 1 - 04:02 PM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Not quite John Carter but nowhere near Pirates either. They'll probably either break even, once dvd's come out or it'll make a bit of profit from people who really want to go see how bad of a trainwreck it is. I really miss Johny Depp starring in normal roles. I guess next he can play the queen of England or maybe even a sentient refrigerator who's seeking acceptance. : /

Jul 1 - 04:00 PM

Peggy McCaskill

Peggy McCaskill

Epic idea - Depp as a sentient refrigerator--- perhaps he can end up as a transformer and blow stuff up. I remember that Depp used to be a fantastic actor, now he's just a character. Sad when his best work lately is "Rango."

Jul 4 - 06:17 AM

Garret Wood

Garret Wood

John Carter level fail inc.

Jul 1 - 08:33 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

So just about a 60 point spread between critics and audience here at Rotten. If there's that big a gap, I lean towards the critics because of the audience immaturity.I called this out to be a stinker while it was being filmed and looks like I nailed it.
The public is so anxious for ANYTHING OF QUALITY this summer but Hollywood just sits on it's thumbs. Pathetic Hollywood!

Jul 1 - 03:55 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Star Trek Into Darkness is beyond quality, it's fucking amazing.

Jul 1 - 04:31 AM

Overfed Jed

Overfed Jed

Except for the, ah, lame ending I, ah, agree.

Jul 1 - 05:34 AM

Penny

Penny BigBang

Star Trek 2 is a GREAT movie but fans will see it as AMAZING because in their minds they want it to live up to the hype. Not that i can blame them.

Jul 1 - 05:39 AM

Penny

Penny BigBang

Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing though.

Jul 1 - 06:21 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

It lived up to the hype in my opinion and I'm not a trekkie or trekker or whatever the fuck they're called now.

Jul 1 - 07:07 AM

Mikey M

Michael Mora

I am a Trekker/Trekkie and didn't think the movie was very good or original. Already falling back on old villains is not a good sigh. A new timeline should start from scratch not redo Star Trek:TWOK.

Jul 3 - 12:51 PM

Nihal Bhat

Nihal Bhat

StiD was the best film of the summer. but it is great by no means with an average rating of 7.5

Jul 2 - 03:50 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

It's great in my opinion. I could care less what the critics think.

Jul 2 - 04:03 AM

Nihal Bhat

Nihal Bhat

well its the top major release of the summer. so it did well. i thought it was a good movie with good action set pieces

Jul 2 - 06:12 AM

Frank Cvo

Frank Cvo

Star Trek into Liberal Darkness was horrible. Trading Kirk's role with Spock's role while bashing national defense isn't clever.

Jul 2 - 11:41 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

"Star Trek into Liberal Darkness"
Your opinion is automatically invalid. Are you one of those people that makes conspiracy theories out of every film detail?

Jul 3 - 12:40 AM

Nihal Bhat

Nihal Bhat

theres only been one great movie this summer "before midnight" ethan hawke.

Jul 2 - 03:51 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

That was a damn good movie.

Jul 2 - 04:03 AM

Nada 1.

Nada 1

Mud

Jul 2 - 04:37 AM

Nihal Bhat

Nihal Bhat

yep. great direction. we have to wait till the oscar season for 'good movies'. and elysium

Jul 2 - 06:13 AM

Mikey M

Michael Mora

I agree. Give me Before Midnight over Lone Ranger.

Jul 3 - 12:48 PM

ccdev

cc deville

just because you're not a trekkie or trekker or whatever the fuck they're called now doesn't mean you're not an idiot with bad taste.

Jul 1 - 01:26 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

You call me an idiot for liking a film that you didn't? Nice mature comment, CC. You could have just as easily said, "I disagree. I didn't like Star Trek Into Darkness for (insert your reasons here)". But no, you have to be an asshole about it.

Jul 2 - 03:44 AM

Chase The Lost

CC, people like you make me not want to live on this planet anymore.

Jul 7 - 08:57 AM

Ivan Krizanac

Ivan Krizanac

i agree, i feel like i've been ripped off so many times now. The directors put up great commercials to make the audience want to see it, but the movie sucks and the now the director has still made millions! I'm going to be very careful from now on as to which movie i want to see. the recent Diehard was horrible (i watched it), and so many movies like this one have been horrible.

Jul 2 - 10:09 PM

Shritan Varma

Shritan Varma

itll be an ok film since this time time its not about shitty fantasy

Jun 29 - 09:34 PM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

The whole story of the movie is told in retrospect..........its Tonto telling the TALE of the Lone Rangers origins, who says it cant be exaggerated....you follow me?

Jul 1 - 02:20 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Sorry, but I personally believe it's gonna be shit.

Jun 29 - 02:53 AM

Overfed Jed

Overfed Jed

Jerry Bruckheimer = fail. So, ah, there it is.

Jun 28 - 03:06 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

Considering that they still have Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio writing, I don't expect it to be very good. Gore Verbinski is a good director when he's working with a talented writer. So, I'm expecting this movie to be a lot of fun, but not much else.

Jun 23 - 02:06 PM

Cristina Reyes

Cristina Reyes

I agree Ted and Terry got lucky with Pirates 1, but they're terrible storywriters who write confusing stories. Shame, because the film could have a lot of potential if you leave them out

Jul 1 - 05:41 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

They were actually hired to make changes to the script that was previously written by two or three other writers. The entire first half of the first Pirates movie was based on the script the original writing team had developed.

Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio were the only writers working on the next three, hence, the drop in quality.

Jul 2 - 03:04 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile