Critics Consensus: The Lorax is Good, But Not Tree-mendous

Plus, Project X is a bummer of a party.

This week at the movies, we've got an animated eco-parable (The Lorax, with voice work from Zac Efron and Taylor Swift) and a wild party (Project X, starring Thomas Mann and Oliver Cooper). What do the critics have to say?

The Lorax

54%

Delightful as Dr. Seuss' books are, they aren't all that long, so it can't be easy to adapt them to the big screen. The critics say The Lorax sometimes feels padded with action and musical numbers, but on the whole, it's bright and colorful, and it delivers a solid message about protecting the planet. Ted (Zac Efron) is a youngster who ventures beyond the seemingly idyllic confines of Thneedville and discovers that greed has led to deforestation, despite the warnings of the diminutive orange tree defender the Lorax (Danny DeVito). The pundits say The Lorax does a nice job of capturing the visual style of Seuss' book, and it contains some solid gags, but it's also so busy and action-packed that it mostly forgoes the whimsy (and the message) of its source. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down DeVito's best-reviewed movies).

Project X

28%

Just when you think every idea for a teen party comedy has been exhausted, along comes the mockumetary Project X, which purports to capture the wild goings-on of a particularly raging kegger. Unfortunately, critics say the film is mostly a mean-spirited wallow into areas better explored in Animal House and Superbad. A trio of nerds decides to throw a birthday party in order to increase their social standing; bedlam (and would-be hilarity) ensues. The pundits say Project X might have merited some laughs if it bothered developing its characters, but as it stands, it's essentially just a string of "outrageous" incidents that test the bounds of good taste.

Also opening this week in limited release:

Finally, props to Zach K for guessing Tyler Perry's Good Deeds' 31 percent Tomatometer, and to Ben C for guessing Gone's 11 percent Tomatometer.

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Nothing for adults this week.

For the limited releases, "Let the Bullets Fly" looks like a lot of fun. I already saw "Tim and Eric" on HDNet this week, and it was barely amusing, and every good bit involved one of the many guest stars while Tim and Eric act like lost puppies. Both of the docs look intriguing. I'm curious about "Boy" after reading Waititi's interesting interview. "Being Flynn" looks like another empty-hearted pity-party from Paul Weitz. Other than a matinee for "Woman in Black", I can't think of a single film I want to see in wide release right now.

Mar 1 - 04:49 PM

Kristy Hawkin

Kristy Hawkin

a best friend's mother makes $66 every hour on the internet. She has been without a job for six months but last month her pay was $18859 just working on the internet for a few hours. Here's the site to read more.

Mar 4 - 12:41 PM

Jessica S.

Jessica Smith

Looking for someone to share your fantasies with?
Welcome to---casualchats.com---the best place to seek casual fun and no strings attached relationship. Hundreds of thousands of sexy women and handsome guys are active there. Come in and meet the perfect person, e.x.a.c.t.l.y. what you want for yourself. :)

Mar 5 - 06:55 AM

Alexander Sciury

Alexander Sciury

I knew Project X was going to get bad reviews. It just looked really bad, I'm glad it's only at 22% so far. Hollywood needs to stop making crap movies.

Mar 1 - 04:50 PM

David Hurlburt

David Hurlburt

Crap movies have been coming out since the beginning of moving pictures. I don't think its going to stop anytime soon. For every decent movie there are 5 crappy ones. For every great film there are 20 mediocre ones. Thats just the way it is.

Mar 1 - 06:37 PM

DBrock

David E-Brock

Agreed...also,Alex if you look up at the limited releases right above you,look how high most of the ratings are on those movies! And that is fairly consistent week to week...if you really are upset about Hollywood making crap movies,tell Hollywood to go fuck themselves and make the effort to find a theater that shows good movies where the people that made it give a shit and give those people your money.It is worth the effort,some of my favorite movies were not put out by "Hollywood" and I wouldn't have known about them if I had just gone and seen Transformers 8 or whatever...not to guarantee every indie flick is going to be good, but get out there and find what you like or go on Netflix and rent them...

Mar 2 - 12:24 AM

Hans M.

Hans Morgenstern

Here, here! Ditto that!

Mar 2 - 03:57 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

I agree with you. If I could go and see some of the limited release films that come out, I would. I've tried finding theaters around me that show them, but their aren't any. So the only thing I can do is just not go and support the crap movies that Hollywood puts out in Wide Releases.
I wish Hollywood would release some of the limited release movies in wide releases. Unfortunetly many people just don't want to go see them.

Mar 2 - 06:05 AM

kidnova

Mark Holler

It's often the revenues from the crappy movies that subsidize the budgets of the great ones, so I say keep churning out the crap if that's what the masses want, as long as you keep putting out those gems that some of us look forward to every year.

Mar 2 - 06:26 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

Agreed, and I don't expect it to stop anytime soon. I was just stating that I wish it would stop. But that's not how Hollywood operates...

Mar 2 - 06:07 AM

Curtis O'bryant

Curtis O'bryant

That is very meh for The Lorex and awful for Project X. Looks like a redbox weekend.

Mar 1 - 04:57 PM

Jake Cecena

Jake Cecena

I just knew The Lorax was gonna get mixed reviews from critics. The trailer made it look charming and harmless, but also dull and predictable. I might rent it eventually, but it hardly looks worth seeing in theaters. As for Project X, that movie was garbage right from the get-go. Todd Phillips hasn't pulled off a good comedy since The Hangover in 2009. This film looks like a terrible, annoying re-hash of Animal House and Superbad. I'll pass on that one. Oh well, I might as well see The Secret World of Arrietty while it's still in theaters. At least there's The Hunger Games to look forward to. March 23, baby! :D

Mar 1 - 05:55 PM

Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis

It's going to be a hit.

Mar 2 - 06:55 AM

Will B

Will Boissonnault

Haha. "Tree"-mendous.

Mar 1 - 06:04 PM

Julian N.

Julian Nunez

Nothing to watch this week for me. As a huge horror fan, i really want to watch Silent house, next week. And i'm glad it's getting good reviews so far.

Mar 1 - 06:05 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Meh. Another weekend of staying home and watching DVDs.

Mar 1 - 06:11 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Well if anything The Lorax release will have hard covers of The Lorax story in book stores. That's good news. I never really understood the "Wow, Having a Big Party is awesome!" type of films. Films always insist that the parties people throw make them legends. The only time this made sense to me was in Dazed and confused and the sad truth behind "That legendary Guy" was he was a creepy loser hanging out with kids because real life was to hard.

I guess it's to much for me to ask for a film with teenager protagonists and a point.

Mar 1 - 06:33 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I would like to see The Lorax but I'm saving up to see The Hunger Games in IMAX.

Mar 1 - 06:35 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Sucks!!!

Mar 1 - 06:52 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Impossible! Warner Bros. releasing a bad film! How did this happen!!!

Mar 1 - 06:51 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Sucks!!!

Mar 1 - 06:52 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

I'm a fan of Seuss and Horton is a fantastic movie, so The Lorax for me! Project X is just no.

Mar 1 - 07:15 PM

Justin Nazareno

Justin Nazareno

I'm just gonna rewatch The Secret World of Arrietty again.

Mar 1 - 08:06 PM

Jake Cecena

Jake Cecena

Better than seeing The Lorax. That's for sure.

Mar 1 - 08:08 PM

Jake Cecena

Jake Cecena

Better than seeing The Lorax. That's for sure.

Mar 1 - 08:08 PM

Francesco F.

Jacob Smith

Oh well I'm still seeing The Lorax anyway even though I thought It would get much better reviews since it's from the same people who did Despicable Me. No interest in Project X now, though I thought with Todd Philips as producer it would be good. Hopefully John Carter will be good as from early screenings people and critics said it was good. I can't wait for The Hunger Games!!!

Mar 1 - 08:29 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday