The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Reviews

½ May 15, 2015
It's the greatest final entry of any trilogy in cinema.
March 7, 2016
Moving, tense, stunning. One of the greatest films of all time.
March 3, 2016
To me this movie never gets old it is slow and long but then you get to the battles and it gets super exciting
January 15, 2016
The Return of the King closes the Lord of the Rings trilogy with a bang, Peter Jackson is a great director and he made one of the greatest films of all time right here.
February 21, 2016
(Fellowship of the Ring is the best part of the trilogy)

All 3 are epic tales of high caliber, refreshing and revolutionary in every aspect of the word.
Extraordinary from start to finish, it doesnt leave you bored for a single second throughout the whole ±12 hour run time (Yes, you have to watch all 3 in a row, with all 3 being the extended cut. Yes, that's how i did it, and it was the greatest movie experience i've ever had, it's mindblowing), which is a difficult task, but it succeeds. Big time.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a revolutionary masterwork.
February 19, 2016
Hail to the King! the Oscar speaks for itself ð???
½ March 13, 2008
El señor de los anillos: el retorno del rey
February 1, 2016
Epic ending to an epic trilogy. Want chills down your spine? This is the movie for you.
July 30, 2007
Beautiful cinematogrpahy, epic classic cinema. Just a shame i'm not a fan of the books.
½ January 31, 2016
The Return Of The King had a lot to live up to, to cap off what had become a blockbuster and monumental Hollywood trilogy. One of the greatest works of fiction of all time, The Lord Of The Rings novels by J..R.R. Tolkein, is considered a popular classic with a tremendously loyal and well read fan base. Tolkein's attention to detail and genius in creating an entire new world, Middle Earth, complete with its own languages, has such a high standard that it has plagued earlier attempts to retell the story.

This film delivers and not only respects most of the source material, but is successful at unfolding a complex story arc in a believable and digestible manner for mass consumption audiences. Kudos to Peter Jackson for pulling this off given the herculean task of tackling this high fantasy epic of literature.

As a devoted reader of the Tolkein books, I was completely satisfied with this portrayal on film. The Return Of The King's complete sweep of all 11 Oscars including Best Picture, is not just an acknowledgement from the industry of this particular film, but an appreciation of the entire trilogy that will certainly be regarded as a cinematic epic for eternity.
½ September 10, 2011
While grandiloquent proclamations and self-indulgent superlatives about "the capabilities of cinema" make for bad criticism, the final entry in the Lord of the Rings series really does present the extent of the kind of spectacle the medium has to offer. Removed from the promotional whirlwind of 2003 and the awestruck astonishment with which audiences viewed this final chapter, it becomes clear that so much of this could've gone horribly wrong if entrusted to the wrong person. The earnestness with which the material is presented makes the experience all the more rewarding, but only because the final product is so well put together. Giant CGI spiders and massive, fiery eyes register as terrifying instead of laughable, the final grand march towards Mount Doom feels legitimately climactic instead of silly or mawkish, and the five or six endings coming across as absolutely necessary instead of mind-blowingly self-indulgent. This is a 3.5 hour film that zips by (a feat not many directors could've pulled off), a massive achievement both visually and in terms of scale, and a near-masterpiece that stands the test of time, even considering that it's beloved by every facet of humanity susceptible to the influence of repugnant masculinity (reddit monsters and pseudo-intellectual meatheads alike).
July 22, 2008
The best movie of all time.
January 27, 2016
People say that this is the best of the trilogy I disagree I think this is the best movie. period.
The huge battle of minas tirith couldn't have been better and once again Andy Serkis was amazing as gollum
January 27, 2016
The epic conclusion! Kind of. Its the weakest film but it is still no less amazing! The ghosts army is awesome, the conclusion was tear jerking. The eagles kinda took me out of it though.
September 18, 2012
Ok listen up people. The Dark Knight is my favorite movie of all time, but I can't even say that it beats this movie. The Return of the King might very well be one of the best movies ever made. This movie is 4 hours long, yet every second of it is riveting and emotionally brutal. There are few movies that can make me cheer, cry, and scream so many times. This movie is filled with emotionally devastating scenes as well as universally empowering scenes that make this the most emotionally demanding movie I have ever seen. It deserved every one of it's nominated and won Oscars. The acting is truly incredible as is the cinematography and effects. The scale of this movie, in my opinion, has yet to be beaten by any movie. This movie builds so incredibly up to one of the greatest second halves of any movie ever made. Basically, Disc 2 of the Extended Edition is the most chaotic film experience any human being can have. It is empowering, devastating, and you are literally biting your nails with intensity in the movies climactic scenes. There are so many scenes in this movie alone that would make my "favorite scenes in movie history" list. It is amazing in every right, and is one of my favorite movies of all time, as well as being a filmmaking masterpiece alongside it's predecessors. 10/10
½ August 30, 2006
awesome film. very entertaining and well made
February 2, 2012
Without a doubt, this is one of the biggest and most ambitious films ever made. Although there aren't that many sweeping landscape shots compared to the previous films, you can certainly feel the vastness of Middle Earth. And when things do crash with one another, you can feel the weight of the armors, stones, creatures and just anything and everything. What Peter Jackson accomplished with this trilogy is quite remarkable, and he will always be remembered as one of the greatest directors of all time. It is a masterpiece of filmmaking; from the visual effects to the cinematography, production design, costumes, editing and Howard Shore's fantastic score, they are quite brilliant. However, on an emotional level, I still find it somewhat unengaging. It is too long, and at the end I found myself feeling exhausted, which is not something I want from watching a film. There are some moments in the film that made me go, "wait, what was that about? And why is this character/scene/conflict important again?" I'm not saying this is a bad movie. It's just that everything is a little too much for me. The Return of the King is entertaining for what it is and I admire what Peter Jackson, the cast, and every single one of the film crew members have done with this film. But it's still too long and overstuffed. My least favorite of the three.
½ January 12, 2016
Si Gandalf hubiera contratado águilas para que transporten a Sam y a Frodo nos hubieramos ahorrada tres películas.
½ October 3, 2007
all these movies are amazing..
October 27, 2007
"At last the full arc is visible, and the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy comes into final focus. I admire it more as a whole than in its parts. This is the best of the three, redeems the earlier meandering, and certifies the 'Ring' trilogy as a work of bold ambition at a time of cinematic timidity" (Roger Ebert).