Recycled character imagery

Whatever the hell I'm looking at when I fix my eyes on the film's poster, I am reminded of character styles from Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. Even the Halloween reboot was comprised of simialr character imagery. His best film was House of 1000 and that was barely a two star movie. I appreciate that Rob appears to be branching to mind bending psychology instead of visceral blood and relentless gore, however, I don't know if I have high hopes for this.
Face Nyland
02-11-2013 07:26 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Chase Reynolds

Chase Reynolds

I can't say I like Rob Zombie. He destroyed what dignity my favorite horror series had left, Halloween (1978)+, with his terrible, terrible remake. Devil's Rejects was a pathetic excuse to the horror genre and frankly I'm afraid this is going to be the same. I'll be seeing it, solely because it's my favorite genre. From a single lens camera to open wide, if it's horror, I'm watching it. I think the best way to approach this is to go in with zero expectations. Good luck to all!

Apr 20 - 11:58 AM

Paul Counelis

Paul Counelis

The Halloween franchise had less than zero dignity way before Rob came along. As bad as H2 is, it's still not worse than Busta Rhymes doing kung fu.

Apr 25 - 11:10 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Yeah, when I heard about this one, I had some hope for it. After seeing the preview, i think it will just be more Rob Zombie fare. The dude should seriously consider just going back into music.

Apr 10 - 08:53 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I like Rob Zombie. Corpses was fun, if a complete rip-off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Devil's Rejects is a destined cult classic. But his Halloween movies were awful. But I'm hoping Lords of Salem is closer to Rejects than Halloween.

What's interesting me the most is it seems he's doing something different here. Going for more "mood" than excessive graphic violence and hillbillys.

But who knows. Might suck. But I have a feeling Zombie is going to wow us one day with a truly amazing horror film. But judging by the current reviews, this isn't it.

Apr 10 - 01:21 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I feel like you're right about Zombie creating a spectacular horror show. I'm intrigued as to how his remake of The Blob will turn out.

Apr 10 - 09:33 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I thought he abandoned that project?

Apr 10 - 12:48 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Oh he did? I really don't know.

Apr 10 - 05:21 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

Thank God. Zombie's not really a good choice to remake The Blob. My personal favorite version of The Blob is the 80's version.

Apr 15 - 03:02 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I honestly was interested in seeing him take on the project.

Apr 15 - 06:23 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

He would turn the Blob into a gloopy white-trash murderer. He probably would've casted his wife in the role. I want to see Rob Zombie do Tyrannosaurus Rex. He was interested in doing that project for a while.

Apr 16 - 01:38 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

He would cast his wife as the blob?

Apr 16 - 05:09 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

It was a joke. Also, Rob Zombie was interested in making that movie Tyrannosaurus Rex. I would like to see him do that film.

Apr 19 - 02:25 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I was aware of the joke. And I would have liked to see him do that project as well. He's one of the more intriguing horror filmmakers working. Really, any project he takes on I'll have interest in it.

Apr 19 - 04:01 PM

Shannon Skanes

Shannon Skanes

I actually enjoyed what he tried to do with Halloween, though the execution was wrong. There was too much redneck crap which seems to be his thing. The idea of making Michael a tragic character you almost feel sorry for was refreshing and then the last half was terrible which led into the baffling part two. Oddly, I liked how part 2 ended, but the horse stuff with the mother could have been dropped and I would have been happy.

I haven't enjoyed his other stuff much, not my thing, but I do appreciate that he sticks to his style and doesn't soften it for mainstream appeal.

Apr 15 - 04:43 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I absolutely despised Halloween. It nearly ruined the character of Myers. Understanding him tarnishes his "boogeyman" vibe. The more we know about him, the less scary he is. Zombie should have realized that, and just did a remake of the events of Carpenter's film. It still would have sucked, but at least it wouldn't be near blasphemy.

But that's my opinion.

Apr 15 - 05:24 PM

Shannon Skanes

Shannon Skanes

I will concede he was the wrong director for a Halloween remake. The original had very little gore and tons of atmosphere. Rob Zombie is not very good at creating that kind of film.

Apr 15 - 08:53 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Exactly. The Blob is better suited to him. Plus, I'd like to see him do a creature-feature. I appreciate that he uses practical effects as well. No CG blood.

Apr 15 - 09:20 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

The Blob is more better suited to people like Alexandre Aja, James Wan, Breck Eisner, or Neil Marshall. But Rob Zombie? Not really IMO.

Apr 16 - 01:39 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler

Also I didn't think Zombie's first Halloween was terrible. It wasn't really good but not THAT bad. Zombie's Halloween II was a mockery of not only the horror genre but filmmaking in general.

Apr 16 - 01:41 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

It would give him the chance to expand. He can't do red-neck serial killers forever. I think it'd be a good opportunity to show that he can cover a wider range of the genre. I agree that Alexandre Aja would do a good job though.

Apr 16 - 04:56 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Fun fact, now witches were actually burned at Salem, Salem Village or Ipswich (The main sites of the Salem witch trials), one guy was pressed to death, the others were hung or died in prison.

Apr 9 - 08:39 PM

David Gilmour

David Gilmour

I wasn't impressed with his Halloween remakes. I thought House of 1000 Corpses was interesting, although parts of the movie and the latter half reminded me of a long music video.
I must admit though, I really enjoyed Devil's Rejects and have seen it multiple times.
Having said that, I will watch The Lords of Salems but not with any high expectations.

Apr 8 - 03:11 PM

David Gilmour

David Gilmour

The Lords of Salem I meant of course.

Apr 8 - 03:23 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

David Gilmour! How's Roger Waters?

Apr 18 - 03:08 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

that comment is a winner

Apr 18 - 06:45 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

:)

Apr 25 - 07:18 PM

Paul Counelis

Paul Counelis

Yeah, I bet he's never heard that one before. ;)

Apr 25 - 11:13 PM

I Hate The Tomato

Donald Prentice

I saw the preview for this movie and I wasn't thrilled in any way, shape, or form. I have House of a 1000 Corpses and I saw it in the theater. Most didn't like it but I did. However, I did not like Devil's Rejects all that much. Halloween remake? Again, I like the first one but didn't like the second one all that much. His wife? Her role in House of a 1000 Corpses was fine. Other than that? I (just like a lot of people) am sick and tired of seeing her in every movie he makes. I am sorry, but I think she is part of the reason half of his movies tank. She is not that good looking. Her voice is annoying as hell. She can't act worth shit. This is one movie that I will pass on. It looks absolutely stupid. A complete waste of time. I would rather watch The Mangler again.

Mar 26 - 10:57 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I'm not surprised, Zombie doesn't give a damn about acting or screenwriting. The guy cant write one convincing line of dialogue, let alone assemble a completely competent team of actors; don't get me wrong once and a while he has a few good actors (Malcom MacDowell etc), but he keeps on putting his wife in every movie he makes and she's a terrible actress. 17% at the moment doesn't give me much hope either. Rob should just stick to music in my opinion, or at least hire better actors and writers to flesh out better movies for him to work with.

Mar 25 - 06:49 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I like Sid Haig and Bill Mosely...

Apr 10 - 01:22 AM

Devin Baranick

Devin Baranick

This does look to retain the same style and tone as his previous movies. I like the atmosphere he creates with visuals, but his movies could really use better scripts and a better cast.

Mar 8 - 07:31 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

It's true. That's what drives me nuts about his work. He has a lot of potential but he chooses to create an atmospheric signature instead of working with quality writers and actors.

Mar 10 - 08:34 AM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

At least give him credit for making the films he wants to make... He seems to be doing that...

Apr 3 - 10:49 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

He sticks to his guns and that's something that I, as a writer, have to respect.

Apr 5 - 06:20 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler

I'll give him that credit for House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects...and 50% of that for the Halloween remake. But absolutely no credit for Halloween II.

Apr 9 - 03:00 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Halloween sucked balls. A HUGE mistake on Zombie's part.

Apr 10 - 01:23 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler

Zombie's Halloween II was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Apr 14 - 06:12 PM

Thorin Fuhrman

Thorin Fuhrman

I did not mind the first of his remake, and while the second one was pretty bad, it was not the worst movie, or the worst Halloween movie.(The worst Halloween movie for me is still Halloween 5.). I found House of 1,000 Corpses to be a fun ride, while I found The Devil's Rejects to be a very good if not disturbing film.

May 15 - 11:36 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile