70% The Equalizer Sep 26

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

The Lost Bladesman (Guan yun chang) Reviews

March 28, 2014
I do wish the story itself is better
September 27, 2013
Weighed down by historical background and characters.
March 29, 2013
There are two issues that I have with this movie and most Chinese movies in general. First, the story flow is for the lack of better word, very 'choppy'. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or simply a result of bad editing skills, but sudden shifts in scenes without apparent connection is distracting. Second (and this is very apparent in this movie), it is hard for westerner without prior knowledge of the story to really take in this tale, simply because the movie assumes prior knowledge. There is very little effort to build up the premise and present the characters, viewer is dropped into the middle of ongoing story arc.
From cinematic perspective though, this is a gorgeous movie. Beautiful camera work, lavish battle scenes and astonishing scenery. For those reasons alone, it's worth to watch this one. It's a feast for the eye, but prepare to struggle with understanding the plot.
Tero Heinonen
June 23, 2012
Well done, atmospheric kung fu action film, but too simple and one-dimensional story.
Pluses and minuses for this movie I purchased on DVD:
+ the fight scenes are very well done and there are five or six of them
- but the story unfolds in a manner which is a bit unclear
+ the characters have a history and the acting is all right
- but the story is one-dimensional
+ the Chinese atmosphere and the film's score is great
- but the fight scenes have hardly any unarmed combat and two of them are quite short
+ The images of the chinese countryside and sets in general are well done
- but very few of them are utilized to the full extent, it was possible even to produce more atmosphere
April 26, 2011
I have absolutely no idea how this fits in with Red Cliff......
April 8, 2012
Guan Yun por Donnie Yen, podia ser melhor, mas ficou bacana! Guan Yun PQP!
March 19, 2012
From the makers of the Infernal Affairs trilogy brings you war, martial arts and politics in the ancient times of China. One of the best elements in this film is the martial arts and stunts, but there is something in the story that doesn't add up. However the acting compensates the film with interesting characters with lots of great designs, cinematography and film editing.
February 10, 2012
A kinder, gentler (not to mention shorter and paler) Guang Yu? I dunno 'bout all that. Methinks China is learning all the wrong lessons from Hollywood. But at least the kung fu's good.
December 29, 2011
As always Donnie Yen does another great performance. The only things is that it looks like they used a lot of makeup to probably cover up his age. Nevertheless, the story was good and interesting. I really enjoyed it. Also, it was great seeing a Donnie Yen using the Horse Cutter as his primary weapon, which you don't see a lot now a days in the martial arts movies.
November 27, 2011
This has beautiful cinematography, lighting and color grading. The intriguing and philosophical dialog and amazing costumes are joyous to listen to and see. The wonderful musical score and great sound are atmospheric. Absolutely marvelous choreography, this is beautiful martial art. Bliss to anyone interested in the historical novel or computer strategy game Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
November 12, 2011
Pretty good movie with a lot of artistic merit. A movie about loyalty!
doyoufeellucky
October 5, 2011
Underestimated this before. New review. Good film with exciting action pieces and some clever spear/swords play.
deano
deano

April 26, 2011
Hong Kong duo Felix Chong and Alan Mak take on the martial arts epic for the first time, adapting the story of Guan's (Donnie Yen) killing of six generals from historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Current martial arts heavyweight Yen weilds Guan's famed guan dao blade to slay legions also admirably flexing his best stoic acting muscles.
Despite its aspirations (and predictably impressive fights), The Lost Bladesman never reaches the heights of Red Cliff or Hero, lacking the scale of the former and the emotional resonance of the latter.
skactopus
skactopus

May 22, 2011
The Lost Bladesman, from directors Felix Chong and Alan Mak, showcases everything it needs to, to be a worthwhile picture.Aside from an introductory soldier battle, the early going of this hour 40 minute production puts a lot of focus on laying out character relationships and story. In the grand scheme of things, this is needed; however, because there is a lot to unfold, things get a little smothering and also tiresome.The martial arts' sequences don't kick into high gear until deeper into the film. Backed by some strong choreography and a variety of settings, watching Donnie Yen wield a long-handled blade is a delight.Donnie Yen's portrayal of Guan Yu is a tad monotonous, at least for the dramatic pieces, but watching him in action tends to make up for that. Jiang Wen deserves praise for his performance as he handles a character that can be both perceived as a villain and a hero. Betty Sun is a sight for sore eyes as the only female with major minutes.Despite a few blemishes, The Lost Bladesman ends up as a promising period piece film out of China.
Umelbumel
August 25, 2011
Not Donnies best movie.
2,5/5
KevinRobbins
August 17, 2011
He was essentially a wolf with the soul of a lamb

Guan Yu is a reluctant soldier that only wants the love of his clan brother's concubine and the respect of his countrymen. He finds that he has to serve with his brother in a revolutionary general's militia to stay in contact with his secret love. In serving in the revolutionary's militia, Guan finds that he has to slay his countrymen and has more blood on his hands than he desires. Is his secret love worth throwing his honor away?

"Better I do wrong than be wronged."

Felix Chong (Lady Cop & Papa Crook, Once a Gangster, and Overheard1 & 2) and Alan Mak (Infernal Affairs 1, 2, & 3) delivers The Lost Bladesman. The storyline for this picture is interesting and worth following but not as good as other films within this genre. The action scenes were solid and I enjoyed the battle sequences. The cast delivers worthwhile performances and includes Donnie Yen, Andy On, and Wen Jiang.

"Even a hero can be defeated by a beauty."

I am a huge Donnie Yen fan and try to see all of his pictures. I can say this is an entertaining movie but does not stand out in any particular area. The storyline is not as good as Musa, Curse of the Golden Flowers, or Warlords; the cinematography was not as good as Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or House of the Flying Daggers; and the battle sequences was not as good as Red Cliff I or II. This is an above average picture but is not a classic within the genre.

"Land I can lose. The morale of my men, never."

Grade: B-
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

May 7, 2011
The script has it's ups and downs, Yen's acting is still on a limited range, but there has been some improvements. Good fight sequences, one in a water mill gets a bit sabotaged thanks to the poor use of light and shadow. The film has good pacing, it delivers what it promises.
July 23, 2011
For The Action Scene Of This Movie It Is Came With A Strong Action Scene With Some Bloody Fun But When We Look At This Plot It Is Just Like Not The Novel Anymore
July 9, 2011
so where is the almighty Lu bu
vtwl
May 3, 2011
its cool accept the cao cao always feels like wanted to kill his own people but he just didn't ! fuck him with his bulldog face