• PG, 1 hr. 49 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Magic of Belle Isle Reviews

Cynthia S

April 17, 2012
Sweet, charming movie Rob Reiner style. Many chuckle moments that I got a kick out of, especially with the character Carl. Morgan Freeman is wonderful, as usual...
jjnxn
jjnxn

February 5, 2013
Comic drama that can best be described as nice, Morgan Freeman and Virginia Madsen make it seem better than it is.
Everett J

July 11, 2012
Rob Reiner is a good at taking adult themes, and turning them into good family orientated films. "Stand By Me" is my favorite Reiner movie, as I grew up watching that with my mom. Here, Morgan Freeman plays Monte, a alcoholic, paralyzed writer, who has lost the will to to write. Monte movies to Belle Isle and befriends a single mom(Virginia Madsen) and her three young daughters, whom help him find his inspiration again. It's a good, sweet natured, borderline sappy PG movie. The performances are all good, especially Freeman. It's good to see him in an actual leading role again instead of a supporting player or voice over. The rest of the cast is very good, as all three daughters do a terrific job, as does the usually great Madsen. It may be too boring for kids, and honestly it does drag a little during the middle, but it's still very entertaining and a good watch. Good watch.
SC007
SC007

July 10, 2012
Morgan Freeman and Virginia Madsen's performances are the best reason to watch this film. They shine in the film and have a great on screen chemistry. Keenan Thompson also does a good job with his supporting role. All 3 daughters in the film are great too.

My problem with the film was the tone of the film. It felt too much like an after school TV movie than a regular theatrical release. Also the pacing was off. Some scenes are too slow.

Still, despite the flaws, I do recommend the film, especially for Freeman and Madsen's performances.
November 13, 2012
I'm not sure if this was great or just good. Nothing terribly exciting or amazing happens, yet it's never dull or disappointing. Morgan is as good as ever, maybe too good for everyone else around him, especially since the second most interesting character is a retarded dude who hops like a bunny and wears swim goggles on the bus as a sweet disguise. I guess I'll go with very good.
October 1, 2012
Liked this movie no matter how Flickster reviewed it. Was worthwhile and I did not think Wildhorn was a crank.
Hamee
October 8, 2012
This movie was very predictable, but it was a sweet story. The cast makes it worth at least one watch.
April 10, 2014
I loved seeing a good, clean family movie for a change. It was so sweet!
March 17, 2014
Freeman is his usual superb self and does a great job of developing his character. It is a wonderfully heartwarming story about friendship, renewal, and love.
February 19, 2014
People do not search for real life in a movie. They look to find a haven from there problems. They do not need reality.
Many critics say this movie is predictable and unrealistic but who cares. This movie is funny and by the end of it you will feel generally happy.
February 10, 2014
I really really enjoyed the movie. Watched it Netflix via Roku. I'd give it a 5 stars.Wish there were more movies that provided a happy feel. Characters were well developed.
February 4, 2014
never stop looking for what is not there!
larry s.
February 1, 2014
Rotten Tomatoes is absolutely the WORST Site for ratings of anything offered,If you want to see a good rating on a movie decide on the opposite of what all these so called "Critics" evaluate on movies. If there are no gun scences, sex, or violence it is a bad movie to these so called experts. This is a great family movie that I loved and Morgan Freeman is the best actor Hollywood has to offer, If you want to see the Seedy part of life and walk away depressed than go watch Your Wolf of Wall Street type movies that get the 4 and 5 Star ratings.
June 9, 2013
Sweet movie about the rebirth of a writer.
November 14, 2013
A lovely movie.. charming laid back story line.. "All you need is people who believe in you"... :)
November 4, 2013
Morgan Freeman is once again extraordinary in this inspirational film.
July 26, 2013
A beautiful movie that touches on a magic that is lacking in the modern, cynical heart. For those of us who still believe in the power of dreams, imagination, and love, it is a sweet balm in world full of the desensitized, disconnected, and disbelieving.
July 13, 2013
Mildly entertaining chick flick.
June 21, 2013
Maybe this story is predictable, but it is also heartwarming and touching, a real feel good movie, with wonderful performances by the entire cast and Rob Reiner's deft direction. I can't believe the critics gave it such a poor reception, but audiences liked it, and so did I.
July 1, 2013
This is one of the most poignent, heart-rending movies ever - LOVED it! Morgan Freeman does a truly superb acting job.