• Directed By:
    Paul Thomas Anderson
    In Theaters:
    Sep 14, 2012 Limited
    On DVD:
    Feb 26, 2013
  • The Weinstein Company

Oscar Nominations

i have a feeling that The Master will get knocked out of a few of categories at the oscars. First up, i think Joaquin's comments on the Oscars will not only rob him of a best actor win (imo more deserving than day-lewis), but will be knocked out of the category entirely. there are many performances that are deserving of a nomination, and i think they will make room for them by knocking out joaquin.

i also think that The Master is teetering on the edge of best picture. it should get a nomination. heck, it probably should be a frontrunner, but the film has lost momentum and did poorly at the box office. i do hope it gets a nomination, because it is one of the best of the year (if not the best) and should get one. but with an independent film like beasts of the southern wild pushing for a nom, there can only be a certain number of independent/arthouse films that can get a nomination.

other categories that may be out of the master's grasp is best director, best editing, best cinematography and best costume design. PTA should deffs get nominated for best director, but early wraps for Kathryn Bigelow's Zero Dark Thirty may squeeze him out of a nominaton.

what does everyone else think about The Master's Oscar chances? at the end of the day, The Master is a film that will be discussed and analysed for many years to come, and the Oscars are becoming less and less relevant, so it doesnt really matter. but no matter how many great films get snubbed each year and how many films win Oscars undeservedly, i still get pissed when films that i connect with arent given their due on Oscar night.
Seb M
12-1-2012 03:59 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Zane B

Chum Chum

PT's movies always have mixed reactions associated with audiences because he wants them to come away with their own conclusion. In his filmaking he wants you to observe, he's not strictly trying to entertain you. People don't like thinking for themselves, it's hard for some of them, hence the love him or hate him stigma.

Feb 27 - 07:55 AM

Mishcka O'Connor

Mishcka O'Connor

The Master stunk! No story, no plot, monochromatic, edited poorly - very disjointed. Phoenix was good. Other then that - give me a break! Yuk!

Feb 25 - 10:23 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

"no story, no plot"-Those are the same things.

Feb 25 - 11:18 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

yea, when you prove that your that stupid, that quickly, nothing you say can be taken seriously at that point

Feb 27 - 07:35 AM

Ashraf Taha

Ashraf Taha

Mishcka :
Of course you would say that because you'r looking for entertainment only! The Master is one of the movies that made to say "WOW" because it's a masterpiece , an example of the perfect movie ! but I enjoyed anyway ..You can say you didn't understand the story but saying that there's no story doesn't show anything but your stupidity ! ( Spoilers ) "The Cause" cult is shit plated with gold and his leader -who is called "The Master" - has found hopelessly man (Phoenix) so he tried to help him by doing sessions and some shits which made Phoenix so close to The Master and their relationship becomes like father and son but in the end Phoenix decided to leave The Master...WHY? because he realized that "The Cause" is just a shit full of lies and because he didn't get better . In the final scene you can see him asking the woman who's having sex with him the questions that he has been asked by The Master in the first session..you can notice that he asked this question without any purpose because he doesn't know what it is really mean..he just said it for fun and nothing more . He know that he's been fool because he believed The Master".

Feb 27 - 08:31 AM

Ben Albertyn

Ben Albertyn

Best movie of the year, hands down. People say there isn't a story arc and it isn't "events driven" but you're kinda missing the point then. Its about the complex relationships between these fascinating and masterfully created characters. Freddie is scarred and all he really wants is to get back to before the war, before it all happened. And Lancaster Dodd lures him into his cult with the promise that he could take him back in time, back to a 'previous life' as he says. And the best part of this movie is that some parts of it you dont find out, like what actually happened to Freddie. And thats what makes it such an incredibly interesting film. The Acting and Cinematography is obviously mind blowing but that can be expected from a PTA movie. Now if you dont quite get it the first time, watch it again and think about it.This movie really deserves recognition.

Feb 21 - 11:17 AM

Steve Darlington

Steve Darlington

The Master is a truly terrible film. I am sick of hearing how great a director is and then supposed to say everything he touches is great. One should review the film as if you had no idea who made it. If this film came from an unknown director it would have bombed and deservedly so. It is impossible to fathom what the lead characters see in each other. I don't feel that it got under the skin of cults or PTSD whatsoever and some bits (mostly the singing) were toe-curlingly cringing. The narrative never gets anywhere. The emperor has no clothes.

Feb 3 - 03:48 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

It's not about a narrative, it's about the characters. This is definitely The Tree Of Life of this year. A lot of people love it, whilst others think its crap. People who think this is crap don't appreciate brave cinema. Simple as that

Feb 4 - 01:34 AM

Craig McLaughlan

Craig McLaughlan

I totally agree: People that don't agree with me clearly have no taste.

Feb 5 - 01:23 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

thats right ;)

Feb 26 - 10:55 PM

Dylan Dunsmore

Dylan Dunsmore

sorry steve, I just dont think you get it ;)

Feb 8 - 01:39 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

He doesn't

Feb 9 - 09:26 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, however, that does not mean that that person is very well informed. Bottom line though, this film should have won just about every and all cinematography awards. The only other film that could compete this year in that category was Life of Pi.

Feb 19 - 01:46 PM

Philip Goodman

Philip Goodman

It's all acting -- imaginative, forceful, fascinating. But there's no story here, no narrative progression. Truly nothing really happens at the end. We admire and react to the acting, but are disapponted in what does and doesn't become of all these fascinating people.

Jan 20 - 02:01 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

i disagree. in life things dont just wrap up nicely. these aren't the sought of people who come to an epiphany. they dont change. they just keep going through life on the same track. i think that it isnt the fault of the filmmaker that theres no end to their journeys. the idea that someone can wander through life and never find peace is incredibly haunting to me. i admire this film deeply. sorry you dont feel the same way.

Jan 22 - 06:05 AM

Mishcka O'Connor

Mishcka O'Connor

I hated the movie! No story, no plot, terrible editing. J.Phoenix acted very well. The rest was #@$^! As far as the cinematography goes, it was very monochromatic, not interesting. A poorly done movie. 0 stars for me.

Feb 25 - 10:18 PM

D P.

D P

I really do think it deserves the Cinematography Oscar.

Dec 15 - 07:26 AM

Taylor B.

Taylor Born

I thought so too, but after seeing Life of Pi I cannot in all good faith say the Master albeit stunning is not the best this year.

Dec 22 - 02:31 PM

D P.

D P

It might have a chance at screenplay. If Zero Dark Thirty is considered an original screenplay, I don't think it will have a chance of winning.

I personally was impressed with the movie but I'm not sure i liked it. It was a tough movie to get ino.

Dec 15 - 07:20 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

no matter what was happening in the film, i just found it to be absolutely spellbinding. if the filmmaking wasnt as incredible as it was, the film wouldve been no where near as powerful

Dec 15 - 08:05 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

a lot of people have responded to it indifferently like you. everyone says they were impressed, but not sure whether they liked it. a second viewing was vital. i had no idea what to think initially, but a second watch made it all clear to me

Dec 15 - 08:08 AM

Mitchell Nash

Mitchell Nash

I saw it tonight. How did a second viewing help for you?

Jan 14 - 06:39 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

i slept on it a bit before a second viewing. its brilliance became more apparent when i let it sink in. i dont think u should rush back for a second viewing. think about it for a while then give it another viewing.

Jan 16 - 01:03 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Forget about the Oscars!! I've been in the biz for over 50 yrs and have learned that there is very little truth in the voting.
There are films that have won as best picture only to see that the public thought it stunk.
Now going by a lot of these so-called "professional critics"............who couldn't find a real job, their critiques mean nothing.
The acting was good but other than that........this one is a loser

Dec 8 - 06:19 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

i think its rather dismissive to say that The Master only offers good acting. if you watch it again, you'll realize that PTA is the real star of the show

Dec 9 - 10:01 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

"been in Biz for over 50 years"

Care to elaborate?

Dec 23 - 01:30 PM

Branden Mata

Branden Mata

I completely agree. Film had great acting like most PTA films do, I'll give him that, he can bring out great performances in his cast but other than that, he's an overrated director imo. I would rather watch directors like David Fincher, Quintin Tarantino, Darren Aronofsky, and Christopher Nolan than PTA. They make better overall films imo. And I'm not saying PTA isn't a good director, just overrated imo.

Jan 3 - 12:17 PM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Honestly, if we are talking about writing, and striclty ignoring artistic direction, QT wins in a landslide. His dialogue is unmatched really, it's hard to even compare. Maybe the cohen's, maybe Nolan....maybe Woody. But to speak of film making, the best filmmaker right now, and in terms of an overall filmography is hands down Paul Thomas Anderson. In fact, there is a top teir of directors right now...

1. PTA
2. QT
3. Nolan
4. Nicolas Winding Refn
5. Wes Anderson

But PTA is just on another level. Seriously, Punch Drunk Love is so underrated, everything that man films is intentional. It's hostile, the music, the car explosion, the ill tuned piano, the color schemes in the grocery store, sounds of wind and emptiness....then he meets his love, and the entire movie flips...it's two movies in one. Some of it goes unnoticed....genius filmmaking. No one on his level right now.

Jan 4 - 10:30 AM

Jakub Gronowski

Jakub Gronowski

Tarantino is overrated sorry..unlike Anderson, he hasn't progressed as a filmmaker since Jackie Brown..he's pretty much kept doing the same thing with each film...Nolan is the best blockbuster filmmaker in Hollywood but i wouldn't put him anywhere near guys like PTA, Scorsese, Cohen Bros etc

Jan 20 - 01:47 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

i cant reply to your comment Jakub because its flagged as spam, but yes, i completely agree with you. Tarantino hasnt really evolved as a filmmaker like PTA.

Jan 22 - 06:10 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

I realize that the last 4-5 QT movies were all structured around "revenge". But to say he hasn't progressed, I don't know, Bastereds to me was something special. There is a ton of artistic value in that film. And I hate that Nolan gets written off as a blockbuster filmaker. The following, Memento and Inception were all great films, even The Prestige. I know he racks in the cash, but, I still think he is more than just a blockbuster. I respect the cohen's as well, but I still think they should have lost to There will be Blood.

Jan 25 - 01:02 PM

TK009

Kimura Osamu

You don't know about filmmaking. Enough said.

Mar 26 - 08:49 PM

TK009

Kimura Osamu

Are you insane. There is no way that english language film director better than PTA right now.

Mar 26 - 09:05 PM

TK009

Kimura Osamu

Are you insane. There is no way that english language film director better than PTA right now.

PTA film is not only about acting. It's about camera movement , visual style , artistic and unique direction , cinematography , best choice for using music or score,etc.

Sorry for my english.

Mar 26 - 09:22 PM

TK009

Kimura Osamu

All PTA films is not only about acting. It's about camera movement , visual style , artistic and unique direction , cinematography , best choice for using music or score,etc.

Sorry for my english.

Mar 26 - 09:27 PM

TK009

Kimura Osamu

All PTA films is not only about acting. It's about camera movement , visual style , artistic and unique direction , cinematography , best choice for using music or score,visual storytelling,etc.

Sorry for my english.

Mar 26 - 09:40 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Oscars may be losing relevance, and regardless of whether your movie was indeed the best of the year, its still testament to your movie to win Best Picture and other prizes (we wouldn't be talking about, say, Crash if it hadn't won the award).

About The Master's chances: I agree with you that the movie seemed to have lost momentum after opening; I think a lot of people were let down (rick roll'd, as RT editors put it in an article once) to an extent. It'll be interesting to see how things play out -- I think most critics would agree the performances here are Oscar nomination worthy.

Dec 1 - 01:56 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

Yeah, it definitely doesn't have the mainstream accessibility that other contenders have. I just hope it will occupy 'the tree of life' position and get nominations that represent the more arthouse/indie crowd

Dec 5 - 03:20 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Tree of Life was a disaster!!!
But if you enjoy watching paint dry, then go for it!

Dec 8 - 06:20 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

you hated 21 jump street, brave, blue velvet, the master, the dark knight rises and the avengers. ill assume that you're not the most optimistic filmgoer

Dec 9 - 09:59 PM

Craig McLaughlan

Craig McLaughlan

False. I managed quite a decent nap during TOL, even with other people chatting, texting and snoring.

Feb 5 - 01:27 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile