21% Transcendence Apr 18

January 31, 2012
Trite and derivative.
Cynthia S

October 24, 2011
Nice sports movie. Typical "root for the underdog" type, but well done. I have always liked Ellen Burstyn. She seems to really know how to pick decent movies to be in...this one is no exception.
magicstars1
December 7, 2011
This was really just terrible. A failure in pretty much every respect. No likeable characters whatsoever, and therefore a disengaging plotline. Along with all that, there is a preachy feel to the whole movie that makes you feel like you're 8 years old and in the classroom.
June 28, 2012
I watched about half of this movie before realizing I had seen it a million times before. It's your typical "underdog school team takes over the world" plot. Sure, it's nice that it's based on a true story. And the acting isn't bad... it's just that I've seen pretty much the same exact movie so many times before this one, that it couldn't really hold my attention. I couldn't force myself to sit through all of this.
April 10, 2012
I enjoyed this movie. I thought it was a great chance for Carla Gugino to stand out as a leading lady, and this is definitely an aspect to sporting history that has not been used much. Female sports. There are many movies about race and first time experiences for the world of sports with men, but not many for women. I thought the movie was both fun and serious. The only real problem I had with it was that some of the patterns were predictable and have been used before. When Team USA loses in Might Ducks 2, Bombay freaks out and punishes the team by making them do laps. That is a story line that has been used again and again. Eventually they will learn if I just drill them to death. Some of the best dialogue in the movie occurs between Shelton and Gugino. Another rent not buy movie.
February 27, 2014
Awesome movie..very motivating and inspirational.. Specifically knowing its a true story
May 10, 2013
An OK movie. Too much crammed into the time allotted and Carla Gugino's lack of acting range disappointed me although I did enjoy looking at her.
October 23, 2011
Warning: bare knees galore. Not safe for geriatrics unless accompanied by an oblate.
November 18, 2012
Good movie and inspiring true story for the underdogs in the Sports World, makes you want to get out there and cheer with the Nuns!
October 29, 2012
This is a review from Julianna Noone, reporting for KIDS FIRST! Whether you are into basketball, or just an average girl growing up today, ‚The Mighty Macs‚? is a movie that will inspire you. This movie, based in the early 1970‚(TM)s, is about Cathy Rush (Carla Gugino ‚" Night of the Museum) a young married woman who decides she wants a career over just waiting at home each day for her husband Ed (David Boreanaz ‚" Bones) to come home from his job each day. She is a great example for all women and especially young women who must decide on going to college and finding a career for themselves.
Cathy‚(TM)s dream is to coach basketball. This wasn‚(TM)t a usual job for a woman in the 1970‚(TM)s but it didn‚(TM)t stop Cathy from following her dream. This is a great lesson for anyone, regardless if you are a girl or a boy, an athlete or a non-athlete. Follow your dream and don‚(TM)t let anyone tell you that you can‚(TM)t do it. For anyone that plays organized sports, you know that a Coach does more than teach you the actual sport, they teach you life lessons as well. Whether is to be the best you can be at anything you do or to want more for yourself than others expect, this story will inspire you. The coach also teaches you about teamwork and that everyone on the team is more than a team, but a family. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when the team helps one ‚tomboyish‚? girl, look like a beautiful woman for their team photo. It was a great point in the movie, where the team really came together as a ‚family‚?.
Another of my favorite parts of this movie is after their first game, another loss, Cathy is angry with the team‚(TM)s effort, so she takes them outside in the rain to practice. She leads the girls through defensive slides (this is a basketball drill where you shuffle your feet left to right, then back, with your hands out) in a tunnel, yelling ‚quick and dry‚?, over and over again.
I rate this film 5 out of 5 stars, because I love basketball and it‚(TM)s totally inspiring for young girls and basketball players too, showing you what hard work and determination can do for a person. I recommend this film for girls 10 ‚" 18 years old.
July 12, 2012
Can't help it - I'm a sucker for inspirational stories. Acting was a bit wooden, and the plot was predictable, but I still found myself cheering them on.
July 11, 2012
Entretenida a ratos. Pero se vuelve muy predecible y llega a ser aburrida.
DC Edmonds
July 9, 2012
"The Mighty Macs" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: The true story that the film is based on is actually interesting ... far more interesting than the movie version. Making this movie wasn't a bad idea as it had the potential to be a great "feel good" movie that you can't help but like. To it's credit, the film at least did a decent job keeping your interest. You do want to stick it out until the end to see what happens.

The Bad: Since this concept has been done to death, there needs to be something about this film that sets it apart ... but there is nothing. There is zero characterization for the members of the team and at times I had a difficult time even telling them apart. The outcome was also never in doubt and you need at least a HINT of doubt for this sort of film to work. Lastly, the lead character was difficult to get behind as even I felt she was too hard on the team and did a few things that were beyond questionable.
June 26, 2012
Loved it. Corny, tame, inspirational and terrific. No, it's not the best movie ever made, but it's a fantastic true story. The kind of story we all need to see and hear as an antidote to a world of anger, conflict and negativity.
June 19, 2012
The movie has its heart in the right place and means well but its as predictable as ABC and filled with cliches to the point of no return. Average movie all around.
May 28, 2012
One of the better rentals I have seen in recent years
April 8, 2012
I wanted to like it more, but the lead actress was just not likeable.
Movie Matthew Z
November 9, 2011
This movie is about the Immacualata woman's' basketball team and their coach who in 1971 set the record books ablaze' when she came on board a very staunchly and conservative all woman's Catholic college and gave them not only their first "real" basketball team but also helped pave the road to what is now known forty years later as a juggernaut in not only basketball but many woman's sports.

The pioneer coach is the main star of the inspiring story is named Cathy Rush. She is the matriarchal leader of this groundbreaking team. It was a true rush to see her story unfold on the big screen.

Ok, lets get down to brass tactics and give this film the style of criticism it deserves my blogspot and it's more recent reviews are famous for. While not all my reviews are cold and canonical. It is the type of reviews however I must admit I am most proud of.

This film however was inspirational and very little fault can be found within it. That being said it seemed a little clichť at times and down right unoriginal in others. Take the " gutter practice scene" it felt "borrowed" to me. I am not sure from where but I think I have seen it before. The movie was fun however and the over all feeling of it was sound and uplifting.

The real titular characters' in this flick is the girls whom make up thus said team. These young ladies in question and thus said struggling athletes that make or made the 1971 team as immortal and dare I say immaculate as it was.

This film is memorable in other ways. First it is a smash hit with the family and Christian critics and not so with the secular variety. This is a family film about a Catholic college. So those thus family style reviews may be the most important ones. This critic however is a student at a very Liberal Christian school and it is my review you are reading. Therefore I will compromise and give it a "B", for the reasons I listed above and a few others will not go into in this review. See it yourself however and you are decide for yourself.

Grade B