Five Favorite Films with Kermit the Frog (and Miss Piggy Too!)

The Muppet legends talk about their new movie and share crazy stories from their lengthy showbiz careers.

Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy have been big movie stars for many years, and now they're back with The Muppets, which opens in theaters this week. In their latest big screen adventure, Kermit and Piggy are joined by Muppet superfan Walter, as well as non-Muppets Gary (Jason Segel) and Mary (Amy Adams), who help to get the whole gang back together for a wild televised variety show that may help them to save their old Muppet Theater from the wrecking ball. In interviews with Rotten Tomatoes, Kermit (performed by Steve Whitmire) and Miss Piggy (performed by Eric Jacobson) shared a few of their favorite films (spoiler: Miss Piggy prefers her own movies), and also talked about their craziest fans and their longevity in the movie business. Without further ado, let's begin with Kermit the Frog's Five Favorite Films:

The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming, King Vidor, 1939; 100% Tomatometer)

Kermit the Frog: Wow, do I have five favorite films? Well, I love The Wizard of Oz because of the rainbow; it's kind of an inspiration for me. That's a good one.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Jim Sharman, 1975; 76% Tomatometer)

Quite frankly, I really like The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's one of my favorites.

What do you like about that one?

Well, Tim Curry. And I'm sorry he got so typecast in that because he's got such a broad range, but we worked with Tim in Muppet Treasure Island, and we actually sung some of those songs in between takes. Even in this movie we were singing them with Jason [Segel] and Amy [Adams].

Vanilla Sky (Cameron Crowe, 2001; 40% Tomatometer)

Five films, wow. What else? I love Vanilla Sky.

You do?

I love it. It's so weird. It's like what happens to me when I sit on a log and stare at the water too long. I love that one. I'm giving you strange answers, aren't I?

No, no, this is great. You watch a lot of movies, then.

I do. I do, whenever I can.

The Devil's Advocate (Taylor Hackford, 1997; 67% Tomatometer)

Ooh, I thought of one! The Devil's Advocate.

Really...

The morals... I love that. I love that movie. That's one of my other favorites. Al Pacino, he's done a lot of stuff, but I think that's his best role. I love it.

Deliverance (John Boorman, 1972; 97% Tomatometer)

I hesitate to say Deliverance, but I must say I like the banjo, so why don't we go with that? It was shot down in the swamp, where I'm from, and I think there's a pig scene, too, so there you go. We're all set.

Next, Kermit talks about working with Fozzie, his craziest fans, and how his family first got into show business.

Comments

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

So I know this was totally a fluff piece for The Muppets, but I have to say I wasn't expecting Vanilla Sky. Despite a BUNCH of people I know hating it, it's probably one of my favorite movies. There, I said it. Can't wait for the slew of snark about to come my way in 3...2...1...

Nov 21 - 04:44 PM

TheEmoPianist

Christopher Runyon

I wouldn't call it great by any means, but I do love Vanilla Sky a lot. I dunno why. Despite its flaws, there's just this je ne sais quoi that it has over me. I just love any movie that deals with metaphysics, even as subtly as done in Vanilla Sky.

Good list, Kermit.

Nov 21 - 04:50 PM

D.

Delon Lier

Munch munch...

Nov 21 - 04:51 PM

Poochy

Poochy Tiedemann

Never heard of it before...

Nov 21 - 04:52 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

and I forgot Vanilla Sky even existed . . . there must be a way to promote a famous actors lesser-known and revered films. Another Tome Cruise Movie I tend to forget is All the Right Moves.

Nov 22 - 08:09 AM

D.

Delon Lier

I wounldn't have guessed any of these, well mabye TWOO (the wizard of oz). the whole time I read this in my heard with kemits voice. Quite satysfing, they should do more of these.

Nov 21 - 04:53 PM

Colton R.

Colton Rice

Why did you abbreviate wizard of oz if you were gonna spell it out right afterwards

Nov 21 - 05:21 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

haha, at first I thought he was saying he recognized two of them, INCLUDING Wizard of Oz. Then I noticed what he actually did and was confused as well.

Nov 21 - 11:06 PM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

Yeah WTF (what the fuck) is up with that?

Nov 23 - 10:14 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I'd recommend "Open Your Eyes" instead, but I'll assume you know about that. I can't back you up, but I won't call you out either. To find something nice to say...It's very brave to have a sex scene that uses The Monkee's "Porpoise Song".

Nov 21 - 05:52 PM

Irin

Irina Tjahjana

"Open My Eyes" is really good I'm pretty sure it's way better than Vanilla Sky, because the former is the original movie.

Nov 21 - 06:11 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I own Abre Los Ojos and enjoy it, but Vanilla Sky has this story with undertones of sadness with a twinge of hope. I can easily overlook the minor flaws in this movie due to how well this was put together. Probably one of the most perfect soundtracks ever - I can listen to any of the songs and be taken to that specific scene and tone.

Nov 22 - 12:57 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

great list Kermie, but cmon no Cronenberg ?? ... is that because your up against his film this weekend....... at last that ugly green monster rears its head at last..... or is that Oscar Im thinking of ???

Nov 21 - 08:36 PM

Kriss K.

Kriss Kringle

If you haven't seen Abre los ojos, then do yourself a favor and see it.I watched Vanilla sky the next day after Abre los ojos and it's an unnecessary remake without improving on the original with anything.It's just your typical american remake.I also didn't feel the music was on the same note with the scenes.I do like Cameron Crowe as a director but Vanilla sky is just one of his worst in my opinion.

Nov 22 - 11:50 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Actually I fucking love that movie, one of my all time favorites.

Jan 12 - 02:55 PM

TheEmoPianist

Christopher Runyon

Good list, Kermit.

Nov 21 - 04:50 PM

D.

Delon Lier

Munch munch...

Nov 21 - 04:51 PM

Poochy

Poochy Tiedemann

Never heard of it before...

Nov 21 - 04:52 PM

Nov 21 - 05:21 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Nov 21 - 11:06 PM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

Yeah WTF (what the fuck) is up with that?

Nov 23 - 10:14 AM

Colton R.

Colton Rice

Nov 21 - 05:21 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Nov 21 - 11:06 PM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

Yeah WTF (what the fuck) is up with that?

Nov 23 - 10:14 AM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

"It's like what happens to me when I sit on a log and stare at the water too long" ha ha ha

Nov 21 - 05:29 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Kermits thoughts on Deliverance were hilarious.

Nov 21 - 05:37 PM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

Hilarious. "I think there was a pig scene". Nothing more hilarious than inbreds squealing like pigs and tying it in with a children's franchise is there? Oh, that's totally hilarious. Love to hear what mummy and daddy say when high c asks "Mummy what did Kermy mean when he says there's a pig scene?". The high of hilarity. Besides, this whole concept (Muppets favorite films) is weak and insipid. And that's being kind.

Nov 22 - 09:06 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Funny you call this topic weak and insipid....that funny coming from someone with the name Gaylord Zoolander , which is kind of ...well , weak and insipid.....lol

Nov 22 - 12:36 PM

snickerskicker

Richard Crismore

Do you really think little kids care enough about movies to come to this website? Christ get a grip man!

Nov 22 - 05:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I hate to judge, but from what I read, I see a lot of little kid-like mouths on here.

Nov 22 - 06:38 PM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

The hospital just called. They found your sense of humour.

Nov 23 - 10:26 AM

Janson Jinnistan

See, I told you that little kids DO use this site!

Nov 23 - 01:30 PM

Nov 21 - 05:52 PM

Irin

Irina Tjahjana

Nov 21 - 06:11 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Nov 22 - 12:57 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm not amused at the missing "Muppet Movie". God Forbid if anyone knows what a true Muppet classic looks like. Honestly, I HATE this list. It's not that funny. It's not relevent (like Puss's list). It certainly isn't clever. And the addition of "Deliverance" does nothing to sedate my fear that Disney is going to Shrek-ify the Muppets with pop culture and butt jokes. Plus, most of these films suck anyway. If Steve Whitmore wants to do his personal list, he should note how Kevin Clash managed it (a much better list btw) without hiding behind his Muppet. Thankfully Miss Piggy corrected that first oversight (and I might add, those films didn't require human co-stars as anything other than cameos). But this is not the Kermie persona Henson created. Miss Piggy is vain and shallow - spot on Eric! But Kermie is a softy. These would not be his favorite films. "Green Mile", maybe.

Nov 21 - 06:09 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

I 2nd Green Mile.

Nov 21 - 10:03 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I just saw Jason segel on TV saying Kermit was like a Tom Hanks or Jimmy Stewart, so "Green Mile" is far more appropriate than some of these. Also: Princess and the Frog, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Green Slime, Soggy Bottom USA, Under the Rainbow, Hell Comes to Frogtown, Swamp Thing, and Tadpole. (Well, a couple of those aren't very good either, I guess)

Nov 21 - 11:06 PM

Christopher W.

Christopher Willits

I think this is a good list despite how it might not have anything to do with the muppets. Not all the movies are great but its nice seeing a list that didnt talk about just the mainstream films like most people do.

Nov 21 - 11:34 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Tom Cruise, Keanu Reeves...right, not mainstream at all.

Nov 22 - 08:54 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

JANSON!!!!!! . . . you are exactly right. These are NOT the same Muppets I grew-up on watching The Muppet Show and the first batch of Muppet Movies.//These puppets appear to be identical to The Muppets but they have completely different souls. The world is very different than it was in 1977 - 1979.

Nov 22 - 08:02 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Miss Piggy's 5 Favorite List was far, far better!

Nov 22 - 08:56 AM

Irin

Irina Tjahjana

Nov 21 - 06:11 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Nov 22 - 12:57 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

haha i love kermit its still not easy being green

Nov 21 - 07:09 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank