Critics Consensus: The Muppets is Certified Fresh

Plus, Arthur Christmas, Hugo, and three others also Certified Fresh -- a new record!

This week at the movies, we've got a record six Certified Fresh movies, including a Muppet caper (The Muppets, starring Jason Segel and Amy Adams), a special delivery (Arthur Christmas, with voice work from James McAvoy and Hugh Laurie), and a cinematic fantasia (Hugo, starring Asa Butterfield and Chloe Moretz). What do the critics have to say?

The Muppets

96%

It's been more than a decade since the Muppets were in multiplexes, but critics say it was worth the wait: they find The Muppets to be a joyous musical comedy that preserves the sunny spirit of Jim Henson's creations while managing to bring the gang into the 21st Century. Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, and the rest of the Muppets are coaxed out of retirement by Walter (as well as non-Muppets Gary (Jason Segel) and Mary (Amy Adams), a huge fan who's afraid their old theater is about to be destroyed by shady developers. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Muppets was clearly a labor of love for writer and star Segel, and his respect for the Muppets combined with smartly self-reflexive storytelling results in a movie that should please old fans and young viewers alike. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we run down all of Jim Henson's movies, and find out Kermit and Miss Piggy's Five Favorite Films.)

Arthur Christmas

91%

The good folks at Aardman have made plenty of delightfully offbeat animated films, and critics say the trend continues with Arthur Christmas, a sweet and eccentric dose of yuletide cheer. It's the story of Santa Claus' son Arthur (James McAvoy), who must deliver a present to a sad little girl after Papa Noel neglects to visit her house. Along the way, we learn about Santa's state-of-the-art headquarters up at the North Pole. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Arthur Christmas is endlessly inventive, filled with witty sight gags, wonderful vocal performances, and an unconventional but undeniable sense of holiday cheer.

Hugo

94%

Martin Scorsese made a family movie? In 3D? He sure did, and critics say Hugo is a dazzling affair, visually rich and emotionally heartfelt in equal measure. Hugo (Asa Butterfield), and orphan living in a Paris train station, teams up with some new friends on a quest to find a secret left to him by his father. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Hugo is an extravagant, elegant fantasy with an innocence lacking in many modern kids' movies, but it's also an intensely personal film for Scorsese, one that emanates an unabashed love for the magic of cinema.

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Wait a second....ALL certified fresh this week?
I think I hadn't seen that in over a year, you usually have this movie that is either completely rotten or a fresh that is 61% or something.
Exciting weekend for sure!

Nov 22 - 04:46 PM

RT-Ryan

Ryan Fujitani

Hugo's not quite there yet, actually, but we're all thinking it's more than likely going to be CF.

Nov 22 - 04:51 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

hugo is my most anticipated movie of the year... i'm really glad it's over 90%

Nov 22 - 05:40 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Unless it takes a nosedive it looks like it'll be in the 80s at least.

Nov 22 - 06:29 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

yeah, it's pretty exciting-- Three family films, all 94%+!! Good selection for thanksgiving weekend

Nov 22 - 07:38 PM

George K.

George Kovka

And there have been a lot of stinkers in the last few months.

Nov 26 - 10:09 AM

RT-Ryan

Ryan Fujitani

Nov 22 - 04:51 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

hugo is my most anticipated movie of the year... i'm really glad it's over 90%

Nov 22 - 05:40 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Unless it takes a nosedive it looks like it'll be in the 80s at least.

Nov 22 - 06:29 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

What's pretty amazing is that not only are all the movies Certified Fresh, but the T-Meter for each one is above 90 PERCENT! So far anyway... I'm sure one of these will end up being in the upper '80s, but even still that's pretty amazing

Nov 22 - 05:02 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Wow, 3 fresh major movies and three major Oscar contenders In limited realese. It should be a great weekend for classic movies with Hugo and the artist. As for the B.O, I still think Breaking Dawn will stay. Muppets might have a shot at a Gloden Globe nomination for best picture ( since the category is called Musical or comedy, they have a musical in there that a lot of the time isn't deserving. There hasn't been any other musicals this year that I recall) but I don't see nonstalgia carrying it to the top. Hugo seems to high-brow for younger kids but to childish for older audiences. It'll have to depend on legs. Arthur is a wildcard, but it probably won't be big enough to win.

Nov 22 - 05:03 PM

Dave J

Dave J

The new muppet movie getting a certified fresh is ironic to say the least and a long time coming too!

Nov 22 - 05:13 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

The Muppets staying at 100% with over 50 reviews is very impressive. I could tell from interviews with Segal that it really was a passion project for him. I'll catch it and Hugo over the next few weeks, and will probably wait until DVD for Arthur Christmas. I'm also interested in all the limited releases except Romantics Anonymous. Great week for movies, more than makes up for last weekend's mediocrity.

Nov 22 - 05:34 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

hugo is my most anticipated movie of the year... i'm really glad it's over 90%

Nov 22 - 05:40 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

HOLY!
and the average rating for the artist is amazing too. i think the last major film to get a 9/10 was the social network...
well, looking forward to that and hugo.

Nov 22 - 05:44 PM

Brantastic16

Brandon Williamson

Yeah, and The Social Network was the first one since Toy Story and Pulp Fiction, I believe. So an 8.9 is pretty incredible.

Nov 22 - 10:03 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

aw, it dropped. it was 9.1 yesterday.

Nov 22 - 11:20 PM

Will J.

Will Jones

Muppet domination!!!

Nov 22 - 05:56 PM

Irukandji

Chris Skoufis

HOLY SHIT! The Muppets is at 100%?! I hope no one ruins that. Everything else I have no interest in though. So Muppets, here I come! :D

Nov 22 - 06:21 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Probably just as you wrote this somebody ruined it. Nothing Lasts Forever . . . and Things Fall Apart . . . and People and Pets Die . . . I remember when one critic ruined it for Toy Story 3's One Hundred Percent rating. CRITICS!!!! and people's opinions, ugh.

Nov 23 - 12:14 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Hugo is my choice. I can't avoid Muppets, but I'm nervous. I just can't shake the feeling that Jason Segel thinks of them as his co-stars, rather than the other way around. The new voices are also irritating, like post-Blanc Loony Toones (which I don't like either). PLEASE, please, please no butt jokes. I already saw in one of the trailers where they're all sitting on toilets. I'm not a prude, but the magic of the Muppets was partially that they never had to resort to such cheap laughs. And they weren't that funny on SNL this weekend either. 100% can't be wrong? I'm not that stupid, but I'll give it my best face. AFTER Hugo! I'm not in a rush for the others, but A Dangerous Method and The Artist are must-sees in some format, and I'm curious about Rampart because of the James Ellroy script. Good week, in fact I'm sure at least a couple of these will still be going strong through Christmas. (What's the competition? Chipmunks?!?)

Nov 22 - 06:26 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Ellroy's involvement with Rampart is one of the main draws for me, too. That guy is probably the best crime writer alive. He can make anything seem gritty, and he does it effortlessly; the man's a natural at his form. Try and find some videos of him speaking, he sounds like he is straight out of a hard boiled noire story when he is just speaking about every day things.

Nov 22 - 06:50 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

Ellroy is my all time favourite, even if I havn't started Bloods a rover due to it being intimidatingly thick (not that it put me off of American Tabloid & The Coldf Six Thousand)

Nov 23 - 06:41 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Unless it takes a nosedive it looks like it'll be in the 80s at least.

Nov 22 - 06:29 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nov 22 - 06:50 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

Nov 23 - 06:41 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer