—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Muppets Reviews

KJ P

September 24, 2011
"The Muppets" may be one of the corniest films of 2011, but it is happily one of the best. Jason Segel and Amy Adams lead the Muppets back to stardom, as a new Muppet (Walter) is fantasized of one day meeting the entire gang. When he travels to see them, he realizes that the Muppets studio is going to be torn down by a ruthless billionaire in order to savage the oil underneath. In order to save the theatre, the Muppets must perform one last show. After breaking the fourth wall countless times, having numerous (fantastical) musical numbers, a charming script, and an overwhelmingly joyful amount of cameos, "The Muppets" definitely concludes with a heartwarming lesson that will have all families (fans or not) applauding in tears. The jokes are endlessly funny and there is never a dull moment (disney pun). I absolutely loved the Muppets, but it does have it's moments of being a little over-cheesy and a few times will overshadow the story when they address the audience, but that will not stop me from calling this movie fantastic! "The Muppets" are back!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 24, 2011
i have to start by saying that i grew up on the muppets, that im a huge fan, that i loved watching this film, and that i thought it was very solid, thus the solid score. i had some big issues, but lets start with the good. well, really the only good we need is the muppets. theyre just amazing. i dont own a kermit watch, but i understand walter's fandom. we should really be getting a new muppets film every few years. however, i had some issues here as well. my kids laughed at the fart jokes, but they are really sub standard for muppets material, and felt out of place. the big show that the film led to was very underwhelming. i hoped for something involved. the celebrity appearances were also underwhelming, and a bit disappointing in terms of purpose. the end was rushed and very anti climactic, and was weakened by an obvious plot hole in the development of the major conflict in the film. and my biggest issue was that the entire plot device of "we dont talk and need to get the band back together" undermines the frequency of their activity over the past few years, such as their network Christmas special just a couple of years ago, and the establishment of their lore and material of previous muppets films and tv shows. i know it sounds like im being overly critical of a movie with a bunch of puppets, but they are more than puppets to me. it didnt have to be perfect, but i did want the film to respect previous continuity of the characters, and this is one of the main things i felt that it was weak in. i was also disappointed that we didnt get any rizzo. apparently he was in a scene, but he didnt speak, and i missed him altogether. overall, i actually did really enjoy it, im glad it got made, and i hope that we dont have to wait too long to see these characters again.
Christian C

The Muppets!!!
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

May 14, 2013
The Muppets must reunite to put on a show and save their theater.
Like The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle a few years ago, The Muppets cashes in on its nostalgia, supposing that the audience misses their bygone days. And while I vaguely remember enjoying the show as a child, there isn't much about the original that this film brings back. Whereas The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle had some remarkably funny puns, there isn't much to laugh at here. I chuckled a couple times, mostly at the remarks by the two curmudgeonly spectators, but there weren't any guffaws. Most disappointing were the musical numbers with the exception of Chris Cooper's rap; during her songs it seemed that Amy Adams was forcing a grin, knowing she should look happy. The plot unfolds just as anyone knows it would.
Overall, I wasn't impressed by this film, but Muppets fans might find something worth liking if only for the nostalgia.
Spencer S

October 24, 2010
Not the gross disaster I was led to believe by some passionate friends, The Muppets is an ode to the begotten ways of the muppets (Marinette-puppets) that have been with with us for nearly fifty years. Originally created by puppeteer Jim Henson, the world of Henson studios has branched out into Sesame Street, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and films such as The Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth. The Muppets references many of these facets and has a tone that respects the ways of the old gang while also making them fresh for an entirely new generation of fans. The muppets really needed a reboot, and after twelve years without a theatrical release they won big time with a script by uber fans Jason Segel and Nicolas Stoller. The film warrants comparisons to the first film entitled The Muppet Movie (1979), as this as well is studded with a plethora of guest cameos, contains many songs, and makes in-jokes, references, and stays true to the original vision of these now remembered childhood icons. The take on this is that the muppets have been forgotten by society, and the group has to reform in order to keep their studio from the evil clutches of Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) who wants to drill there for oil. It's a kitschy premise, but one that is mocked throughout. The tone is surprisingly dark for a children's film, which I generally liked, because it wasn't as waylaid as previous films which didn't have the same care and effort. Segel truly is a fan boy, and it's clear he's having a ball while shooting every scene. He and the cast did a bang up job of letting most of the screen time be dominated by the legends themselves, which I found refreshing. His and Amy Adams' performances were a bit hollow in spite of their forced enthusiasm, and though they remained cheery focal points, they didn't add much to the story. (That hurts me to say with Segel's appreciation and love so obvious and abundant.) The songs weren't all great, as evidenced by an evil villain rap from Chris Cooper, but I think they will mostly hold up in the future. It was sincerely enchanting throughout and a great way to introduce kids to a set of performers that haven't truly held the hearts of America since their groundbreaking show in the seventies. I'm glad to see the muppets looking fresh and unyielding to cop outs, thank God.
michael e.
michael e.

December 10, 2011
After the Muppets have been invisible in the cinemas for over 10 years now, so having a new muppet movie come out was a big surprise to me. But now that I've seen it, is my verdict that I think its a fantastic movie that is well worth your time, or do I think that it is a movie that you should definitely avoid at all costs? I actually think, it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, and it was kind of a disappointment. The film does very good at pulling at your heart strings and make you feel sorry for what happens to the characters, even if there are moments that are a bit iffy in the feelings. The pace of the film is very slow at some parts and it doesn't entertain as much as the past Muppet movies. I don't think it is a bad movie, but it doesn't give as much payoff as it could've been, especially for another Muppet film that I've been waiting to see in the theaters for over 10 years. Its good for kids, and you might be entertained by it, but overall it isn't the best Muppet movie, but it is good, but it isn't the best film I've seen this year.

2.5*s out of 5
Review originally written 12/4/11
blkbomb
blkbomb

December 24, 2011
Walter: Kermit, you're my hero. You're on my watch.

"Muppet Domination"

I have to admit that I have never been a big fan of the Muppets. It wasn't a big thing when I was growing up, so I never got that into it. With that said, I liked this movie to the extent that I could. Obviously, I'm not the target audience for this one. This is for lovers of the Muppets, young and old. People who grew up on these guys will absolutely love the film, but for me, I felt out of the loop. There's a lot of self-referencing jokes and of course I'm not going to get most of them. So, I wasn't able to get everything out of the movie that big fans were.

The Muppets follow two brothers, one a puppet, Walter, and the other a human, Gary. They take a trip to LA to see the Muppet studio, which is decrepit. They also learn that an oil tycoon plans to tear it down and drill for oil. So, the two and Gary's longtime girlfriend find and tell Kermit. In order to save the place, they must raise $10 million. In order to do that, Kermit, with the help of the three fans, gets all the Muppets back together to put on a telethon to raise the money.

The Muppets was actually a pretty fun time, even for someone like me who isn't familiar with them. There's a huge cast and endless cameos. Jason Segel and Amy Adams are front and stage along with The Muppets themselves. Also making appearances are Emily Blunt, Rashida Jones, Neil Patrick Harris, Jim Parsons, Mickey Rooney, Jack Black and countless more. The movie is pretty big for a children's feature and there's a lot of in-jokes. To the extent that I got the humor, it was actually quite funny.

I wasn't able to love it to the extent that many others did, but I still feel comfortable saying this is a good film. I'm sure it was a nice piece of nostalgia for all the adults that grew up on it and I'm sure they were happy to shoe it to their kids to maybe get them interested in it. It's a joyous film that the whole family can enjoy and who knows, maybe this is a new start for the Muppet franchise.
Cameron S

February 20, 2012
Rarely do I get to say a fim filled me with so much joy it made me feel like a child again, ' The Muppets' does just that, for me it was like an emotional ride through sadness and happiness, I had complete empathy for all the characters and found myself smiling uncontrollably when they were and going through all the pain they were.

There's a wide rnge of cameo apperances that further enhance this film's enjoyability, my favourite of wich was either Neil Patrick Harris or Jim Parsons. If you want to watch something this week in the cinema make it 'The Muppets' because you might just fall in love.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

February 16, 2012
It may not live up to the standards of Jim Henson's work before his death. However, it may be a treat for most, espescially for fans of 'The Muppet Show', as it will give quite a strong dose of nostalgia.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 30, 2011
Well, this movie pretty much played out like I exected...and that's maybe the best possible thing I could ask for. Both the film itself, and it's plot are all about how the Muppets WERE great, and how it's a shame no one really remembers or seems to care about them much anymore. Like the other Muppet films, there's plenty of meta and self referential humor, a lot of it based on the above mentioned statement about their decline in prominence and popularity.

The plot follows a guy named Gary and his muppet brother Walter (who doesn't really seem to get that he is indeed a muppet), who are big fans of Jim Henson's creations. Gary has a lovely lady named Mary, who really questions if Gary really cares about her more than he lets on, as he seems to prefer sppending time with Walter to taking their relationship to the next step.

On a vacation to Hollywood (one that's supposed to celebrate Gary and Mary's 10 year anniversary), Gary and Walter find out that an evil oil tycoon named Tex Richman wants ot buy the old dilapidated Muppet studios so he can demolish it and drill for oil that's supposed to be buried underneath. What follows then is baically a "getting the band back together" quest where they try to reunite the Muppets to put on a telethon to raise the money to keep the studio.

All in all, I did really like this nostalgic romp. In a few ways, it reminded me of Toy Story 3, except this one wasn't so heavy on the theme of mortality, had a more lighter tone overall, and didn't make me bawl my eyes out, though I did of course tear up a few times. I mean, who can make it through "The Rainbow Connection" and not be moved?

It's very clear that Jason Segel truly does love The Muppets, and the film is full of all sosrts of references, in jokes, and his deep appreciation, which is why it sucks that his vision ultimately prevented Frank Oz from being involved in any way, mostly do to disagreements about the script and direction of the story. Even without Frank, this is still a nice piece of work, even if it does have some issues, at least for me.

I know the film is supposed to be fun and campy, but awkward villain songs, especially rap ones, are just really embarassing, painful, and something I'd prefer not to watch. Sorry Chris Cooper. I love you, but never rap again. At least it's a short song, but still. Also, I really loved the direction this film started to take in the last oh, 10 minutes or so, especially when it really started to get mature, bittersweet, and be somewhat of a downer. That was brilliant, and it sucks becuase they didn't go all the way through with it, instead copping out during the END CREDITS! Come on! I hate bringing this up again, but Toy Story 3 had more guts than this, even if I knew that in that film they probably wouldn't totally go through with it either, they at least didn't do a complete 180 degree turnaroiund with the tone. Although, to be fair, the slap in the face that this film does to the audience is kind of funny in retrospect, even if it is a bit disappointing.

The performance are fine, and I loved seeing the old gang back together. As good as the human character are though, I couldn't help but notice that the humans seemed more artificial and wooden in their performances than the Muppets. I can understand being in on the joke, and acting like it, but this is a bit much. However, I didn't hate their work, cuz it's Amy Adams and Jason Segel- two of the msot likeable people ever. Plus, there's some obviously great cameos too, as per tradition.

Yeah, I've been a bit hard on this film, but it's hard not to be. That's just how much of an impact and legacy the Muppets have, I don't know what the future holds for the gang, but if nothing happens after this, I can be satisfied with this little return, as it is better than nothing. Plus, my gripes are really just a ton of nitpicking anyway.
Ping C

November 16, 2011
Mostly met my expectations. My eyes welled up when they sang Rainbow Connection. I'm looking forward to a new generation of muppet films.
Kase V

May 14, 2012
I mean, come on its 'The Muppets'. Its Jason Segel. There are a bunch of celebrity cameos. There is only so much you can complain about with material like this, although there is very little. Kick back and breathe in the nostalgia.
Daniel P

November 27, 2011
Self-aware and plugged in like the Muppets of yore, Jason Segal's update of the franchise for a new generation is charming, funny, and true to its roots, fan fiction though it may be. Hard to describe, other than to say that if you've ever liked the Muppets at any point in your life, you won't say "Oh, man, did they destroy that!", which will feel refreshing when you consider the reboots and re-reboots that abound in contemporary Hollywood. Ribald but still fun for the whole family, one of the movies from 2011 that you absolutely must see.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

June 3, 2011
What's not to love about the Muppets? I had a feeling this would be a fun time at the movies, but I didn't quite anticipate it would be so charmingly brilliant. They took everything I've ever loved about these wonderful characters, placed them in a modern environment, and brought out the best of both worlds. To simply say it's good, would be like saying that Jim Henson was a fairly creative guy. What I can express in words though, is that it's a joyous celebration of life, music and everything inbetween. An upbeat and nostalgic festival of fun, that brings out the inner child in all of us. And the fact that they've been around since the 70's, certainly goes to show that they're anything but an expiring gimmick. Most kid shows from that era are now mere outdated relics, but the Muppets have indubiately proved that they can outlive anything. Seriously, throw a nuclear holocaust at them and you'll still find them doing song numbers in the aftermath. You'd have to be the most cynical person on Earth not to like them. I've seen about every Muppet movie there is to see now, and I can easily say that this is by far the best entry. All due respect to the classics, but this is the one that really won me over. Simple for sure, yet also amazingly clever with its self-aware blend of old, new and something blue (that would be Gonzo). Not to forget all the great wisecracks and play on words (especially by Statler and Waldorf), which has ever been one of my favourite elements within the core of these films. Because with the Muppets, the fun never stops, and whether you're 9 or 99, you'll find that it has something you can enjoy and take to heart. Not just enjoy, but love and cherish for many years to come.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 9, 2011
Maniacal laugh Maniacal laugh

Good movie. As a kid I wasn't much of The Muppets but I have always liked them."The Muppets" lives up to most of its hype. It's a solid, stand-alone movie with a great storyline. While the film may be considered a tribute, which in many ways it is, very rarely does a tribute make a great movie. Any TV show can put the Muppets on proverbial pedestals using archive footage. "The Muppets" succeeds by breathing new life into characters we've known for years, and bringing them back down from their high pedestals so they're easier to see. Dozens of celebrity cameos abound here, but the film's strength is knowing who the real stars of the movie are and why we love them. I just hope younger audience members get the same message. See it with your kids!

Walter is a Muppet whose ambition is to visit the Muppet Theater in Hollywood. One day, he gets the opportunity to go, with his brother Gary and his girlfriend Mary. However, when they arrive they are saddened by the state that the theater has got into. When Walter discovers that oil magnate Tex Richman intends to buy the theater to drill for oil, he, Gary and Mary travel far and wide to reunite the disbanded Muppets. Together again, the Muppets must put on a show and try to keep their theater.
Cynthia S

July 8, 2011
Absolutely DEEEELIGHTFUL!! I was a big fan of the Muppets in the 80's, so all the old references from that time just made me giggle. Yes..I said giggle. AND when Kermit sang Rainbow Connection, I got chills. Yes..I said chills. This was adorable, funny, and FUN for anybody with a Muppet history. Like me. :)
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 16, 2010
Cast: Jason Segel, Amy Adams, Chris Cooper, Rashida Jones, Alan Arkin, Zach Galifianakis, Sarah Silverman, Emily Blunt

Director:James Bobin

Summary: When Kermit the Frog and the Muppets learn that their beloved theater is slated for demolition, a sympathetic human, Gary, and his puppet roommate, Walter, swoop in to help the gang put on a show and raise the $10 million they need to save the day.

My Thoughts: "I love Kermit and Miss Piggy, and I was so happy to see them brought back to life with the rest of the gang. The movie is funny, cute, charming, and silly. I loved seeing all the cameos. I was extremely impressed and surprised by Chris Cooper's rapping. Who knew right? The adults will love this film just as much as the kids do. I can't wait to see what they do with the next film."
Lewis C

April 18, 2011
Delightful. That word describes The Muppets better than any other word that readily comes to mind. This movie is fun, funny and charming in a way that easily appeals to kids and adults. That pretty much sums up my review, but it might be helpful to give a bit more detail.

The story is a simple one, with the Muppets getting back together after drifting their separate ways to put on a huge show to save their old theater. A new Muppet, Walter, his human brother Gary (Jason Segal) and Gary's girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams) take a trip to Los Angeles that sparks the whole storyline. Segal and Adams are great, singing and charming their way through the movie while leaving plenty of space for the Muppets to be the clear stars of the show. Celebrity cameos are numerous and usually hilarious.

The frequent songs are catchy and amusing ("Me Party" was pretty much the highlight of the whole film in my opinion), the dynamics and chemistry between the Muppets seem as good as ever, and best of all, it's almost impossible to not have a smile on your face while watching The Muppets. I didn't enjoy the movie so much that I was oblivious to its flaws, though. The pacing suffered at times, the movie peaked too early for me (the first 70% was better than the last act), Chris Cooper was largely mishandled as the villainous Tex Richman (great name, by the way), and the ending fizzled. Oh, and there wasn't nearly enough Amy Adams, but I'm willing to admit that's probably just an issue on my end (she's one of my favorite actresses).

Still, those issues didn't change the fact that I enjoyed The Muppets a lot. Be you an old fan or a newcomer, give it a shot.