70% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Names of Love Reviews

July 29, 2014
Voil une comdie romantique frache et intelligente et c'est vrai que la petite Sara Forestier y est pour beaucoup. Je sais, c'est une Sara mais y'a pas de H.
June 5, 2014
The Names of Love is a unique a romantic comedy unlike any other. It starts off rather slow, with the two main leads narrating their childhood in documentary fashion. Its going for a Amelie vibe, but this back story is kind of boring but absolutely necessary when it comes to the story later.

Opposites attract when two distinct personalities collide. Baya Benmahmoud is a liberal free-love spirit, while Arthur Martin is a straight laced scientists from a strict puritanical family. They hit it off, despite them being the exact opposite in terms of politics. Also hiding in plain sight is their tumultuous back stories, which also provides conflict.

There are plenty of sure fire laughs spread throughout, with plenty of charm. Its the two leads who really shine, as they feel like real characters with their extreme differences, and a pure sense of on-screen chemistry.

The Name of Love is a very well done romantic comedy, in the tradition of Amelie or screwball comedies of the 40's.
April 21, 2014
finally something fresh.
effetcatharsis
February 20, 2014
Really a fresh, very funny and touching comedy. The mixture of politics, memory, identity, and love is very well handled. Loved the two leads.
January 2, 2012
LE NOM DES GENS est un film dlicieux.... Une comdie romantique (rien voir avec WHEN HARRY MEET SALLY, croyez-moi) au rythme rapide aux dialogues savoureux. Drle et la fois extrmement touchant.... De superbes ides aussi dans la mise en scne.
Carlo C.
February 11, 2013
Un ultra conservador, altamente politizado se topa y se enamora de una evangelizadora izquierdista que est empeada en volver de izquierda a cualquier compaero de alcoba a dicho espectro de la balanza poltica.
Divertido argumento.
Mark A

January 22, 2013
A romantic comedy as only the French can do it! Two unlikely characters meet and fall in love, although the road to get there is never smooth. Sarah Forestier, as Baya, the free-spirited daughter of an Algerian immigrant father and a left-wing activist French mother, meets Arthur Martin (like the cooker), played by Jacques Gamblin, an uptight son of a Jewish woman and a father descended from Greek immigrants. Ms Forestier is a blue-eyed dark haired beauty who captivated this viewer from the outset. This one had the viewer laughing and crying at the antics of these star-crossed lovers who somehow make it work in the end. The filmmaker's style seems to have been influenced by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, in it's use of flashback with voice-over narration, and the saturated colors in some of the scenes. And that was a good thing, as it enhanced the emotional impact of the film. A terrific story, that had me rooting for these two the whole way through!
January 21, 2013
Absolutely delightful movie... Mostly at a human level, but also at a political. I hate to compare the two movies, but if the difference between Adam Sandler's 'You Don't Mess With the Zohan' (budget, $90M, grossed $100M) and this little gem (Budget 4.5M, grossed 500k in the US, don't know about Europe) tells you a lot about the difference between US and European movies.
October 12, 2012
This movie was awesome I loved it! It was equal parts serious and funny. Definitely a great love story.
Kevin D.
November 5, 2012
Ladies, gentlemen, and people who identify as transgender, I have wonderful news to tell you: you're going to have so much fun watching The Names of Love. What a great little movie. At any given moment, the movie is filled with humor, personal writing searching for identity, pointed and tongue in cheek political jabs, ambitious and innovative narrative techniques, and perfect imperfections that make it one of a kind to behold.

The woman in the lead role is named Sara Forestier. She's hot, completely naked(!) for a lot of the movie, and she brings so much spirit to the lead role. It's a show-stealing performance to put it mildly. She plays a half Algerian woman named Baya, who always seems to be thinking on her toes. She's as politically active as she is sexually active.

This movie certainly has all of the elements as your run of the mill romantic comedy, but it brings a lot more to the table. We think we know where the story is going in the first 5 minutes, since it has a familiar romantic comedy opening scene, but all of a sudden the film slams on the breaks. We stop just as the battle of the sexes scenes get ready to turn up. What happens next is magical: the two main characters tell us their life stories. We come to know how exactly we got to that very moment in their lives.

Forestier's Baya goes one step further and gives us the life story of her family. Her counterpart Arthur, played by Jacques Gamblin, gives us his life story, but he knows almost nothing about his Jewish family roots, largely because they are shamed and pained with the Holocaust.

Everything that takes place after is pretty story book: the two characters teach each other new things and they help each other grow and mature. However, just enough quirks and unpredictability are thrown in for good measure. The movie is about coming to terms with the past and how family history and the past shape who we are. However, we can't let those things and those stereotypes define us: we can grow and expand out of our comfort zones.

The movie is especially impressive in how it presents internal conflicts. We see the present day Arthur interact with his childhood self. His childhood self even interacts with Baya's childhood self. Its these scenes that ended up resonating with me the most. It felt as though the material in the film was especially sensitive to the director and co-writer Michele Leclerc. It felt like the director had done some personal soul searching with the making of this film. In my opinion the final product was a full on success. I think I felt all of the intended emotions the director was trying to express.

The Names of Love is simply wonderful. It's a joy to behold and watch. A few loving scenes showing Baya out and about are filmed with a special grainy lens that gives the film a vintage and classic look. The cinematography is always nice to admire here. There were some nicely off kilter angles taken in the shots as well as well-choreographed shots that always found seamless ways of transitioning into one another. The best parts of this movie are probably the flaws. The moments when the movie gets too goofy for its own good. The laughs don't always resonate, but at least the filmmakers tried and shot for the stars. Even if a few of the comedy scenes felt stale and like they had been done before, they still contributed to the overall tone. But don't worry, there are some nice laughs in the film. You have to respect a movie that can combine meaty political and identity issues with a genuine and original take on the romantic comedy genre.

This is a must see film because of the passion in the writing and direction and because of the out of this world performance by the gorgeous Sara Forestier. But above all else, it's an imperfect winner that's easy to cozy up to. Not only do I accept the movie for what it is, it made an especially strong impact on me because it was not afraid of simply being itself.
HomeReviewer
October 25, 2012
There are countless ways love manifests itself and this movie brings one such variation to the audience in a most charming manner. The two main characters, Arthur Martin and Baya Benmahmoud, played oh so well by Jacques Gamblin and Sara Forestier, could not be more opposites, yet they will be attracted to each other because it simply was meant to be, as nature follows a path for the best. Indeed, Arthur is a conservative, clinical, repressed individual whose life was shaped by his upbringing; Sara is a volatile emotional, leftist whose life was equally shaped by her upbringing. Their parents lives are culturally polar (Jewish and Muslim) but share similar struggle and so Arthur and Sara find that to be their common bond, in addition to their most satisfying sexual relationship. I just wanted to take a bite out of Sara, but in a very good way; I found Arthur very sympathetic.

There was a passage in the film that sort of explained the scientific expression 'hybrid vigor'; I found this to be particularly fascinating and of course, I subscribe to it wholeheartedly. Sara liberates Arthur from his repression and he provides her with the real affection she was always deserving of; a romantic comedy movie could hardly do better.

Too often, comedy is mistaken for hilarious premise or funny storytelling; comedy is roughly defined though, as a drama with light and amusing characters, typically with a happy ending and we tend to forget this. It's one reason so many movies are categorized as romantic comedies. I rather like the genre and believe it lends itself to a more fulfilling experience than action movies or thrillers which tend to be judge more rigorously. Don't get me wrong I need my fix of those as well. If you like foreign (non Hollywood) films, you should love this one; if on the other hand you haven't yet realized such a variety enriches you movie-going experience, try. I recommend this movie in either case.
September 3, 2012
fantastic. full nudity.
September 2, 2012
its funny, witty with a great story and amazing performances from Sara Forestier and Jacques Gamblin.. a must watch for all the romantics out there
August 23, 2012
enjoyable french farse
August 17, 2012
Tiene partes divertidas, algunos diálogos bien logrados pero le falta algo.
July 23, 2012
د أ (R)ر حاج (C) ش?تا ... ?تر (C) ...عتبر (C) ... حات
July 18, 2012
Palmas pra personagem principal com sua maneira peculiar de fazer política.
July 15, 2012
A clever and complex pseudo rom-com, where the subsidiary characters are as much fun as the leads. I especially loved Arthur's parents and their knack of always latching onto technically superior technology throughout the years which rapidly becomes extinct. Interesting narrative devices and character details, although having the female lead so ditzy that she literally walks out of her apartment naked and doesn't realise it, is a bit much. Jacques Gamblin is about the only actor of his generation who can get away with credibly passing as a romantic match for someone of Sara Forrestier's age.
Avi C.
July 1, 2012
It had all the ingredients of a very French movie: elements of contradiction, twisted plot, and undeniably eccentric characters with strong intellectual base... yet the movie is so atypical French in a way because the characters are likeable and it has a happy ending!

With that being said, it is a sarcastic comedy with strong socio-political undertone that keeps you engaged. Comparison with Woody Allen stuff and Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is pointless. All that means is that director/writer has liberal views and belief that mutual attraction between two people is something deeper and more kosher than their biases.

If you are ultra-conservative and/or very right wing, You may find it hard to go through the movie without movie offending your sensibilities. Infact I doubt you will get any deeper than scratching the surface and may brand the movie as shallow. With that being said, film constantly pokes fun at strong headedness of extreme left and also at their obsessive compulsiveness that causes more self-inflicted pain than anything else.
June 23, 2012