The Number 23 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Number 23 Reviews

½ February 3, 2016
The number 23 is such a ridiculous and stupid horror thriller that's built entirely upon it's constant dark tone, silly emphasis on the titular number and the will to break star Jim Carrey's comedic image in such a forced and torpid way that one should feel less thrilled and more frustrated or snickering at it's absurdity.
½ May 19, 2007
In the top ten of worst movies I have ever seen. The acting is laughable. The plot is nonsense.Cringe worthy performances. Avoid at all costs.
½ March 30, 2015
This movie was a mess with the plot all over the place and most of the time not making any sens. However I felt that Jim Carrey was good in his role and that's the only good thing about this movie.
½ October 8, 2015
This wasn't the best thriller, but it doesn't deserve as low of a score as 8%. It was well written, and though 'the numbers don't add up' it was well executed to keep you guessing throughout and a generally satisfying ending.
October 5, 2015
Fue interesante para mi ver a Jim Carrey en un rol serio.
October 5, 2015
It was difficult to tell if the Number 23 was an intentional joke or no. After the first hour I thought it was intentional spoof of the genre and came off as odd, but mildly interesting on account of the oddness. Then the film appears to become more serious as a mystery / thriller before making a strange turn at the end. If it was some intended cleverness, it was too clever for me, and if not then it was not clever enough.
October 5, 2015
This is one I'm sure Carrey wishes we'd forget.
August 27, 2015
It's supposed to creep you out, but it's awkward if anything.
August 8, 2015
This film is terrible, I will not mince my words about, while there were some interesting visuals, the directing was generally awful, the script became preposterous which led to it's quite frankly preposterous twist ending, and the acting all round was not particularly noteworthy.

One to watch on late night television if there's nothing on, and one for Jim Carrey fans only.
½ September 10, 2008
I was warned about this movie and didn't listen. For the record, Gail you were right and I'm a dumbass. The film was god awful. It is interesting in places but if I have to hear one more person add numbers together to equal 23 I'm gonna strangle them. Maybe that's why the number drives people crazy cause people who are obsessed with it are annoying. Oh, and Jim Carrey. I liked you in The Mask and Dumb and Dumber so I'm gonna give you a tip: Stick to comedy. You're not sexy and I never want to see you naked again. Oh! and you're not a badass either so wash your freakin hair already and go back to talking out of your butt.
½ July 4, 2012
Jim Carrey does his best here but the story looses it's intrigue by a cliche twist
May 14, 2011
I thought that this was rather good tbh! I enjoy any serious role with Jim Carrey in so this was no exception. The plot is somewhat reminiscent of Secret Window (another good movie but not sure which came first) so that alone intrigued me when I read the synopsis. Definitely worth a watch.
½ January 17, 2015
Uno de los peores thrillers que ví.
½ January 7, 2015
A mind-bending concept that could have been better executed.
Robbanflix
May 27, 2007
I know many dont like this movie but i thought it was pretty good. Jim Carrey did a great role altho he probably fits better in comedies but as i said he can makes this type of movies aswell. Story is about the number 23 which the main character (J. Carrey) get totally obsessed about and he see that number everywhere. Overall a interesting movie and well made and i enjoyed it.
½ October 29, 2014
While Carey is definitely a good actor, as seen by other non-comedic roles, this movies is just dull. The plot is predictable, the twist you can see coming a mile away, and most of the other characters are uninteresting. If they'd gone a similar route as Pi, I think the movie would've worked much better, but as is... it's clumsy with little scariness still in it.
½ October 25, 2014
I love Jim Carrey more than the air I breath but this was horrid.

Just a jumble of nonsense, that I have to admit, initially had potential.
½ October 18, 2014
(22%) A quite sizeable misstep in Carrey's career that is messier than Jim's character. The biggest problem is quite a big one all told, and it's the plot. It just doesn't work. Carry's on-screen wife finds an old book in a book shop, she reads it all cover to cover in less than 10 minutes flat (sizeable flaw number 1), then Carrey spends almost the rest of the movie reading and obsessing over it like a man who has just discovered fiction for the first time in his life (sizeable flaw number 2). And his obsession is based around a number because it appears to be interconnected to many different things in his life as well as in history, but that's what numbers do, they interconnect with each other so 23 is just as interconnecting as 104 or 73 or any god damn number (sizeable flaw number 3). The ending is a terrible slap in the face, heap of piffle that even manages to let down even a poor movie (sizeable flaw number 4), and even before you get there the movie is overly confusing, badly edited at times (notice the god-awful cut just before Carrey is about to say a line?), and it's one of those movies that gets worse the longer it runs. And I'm quite sure I could get to sizeable flaw number 23 if I could be bothered, but it's no worth it. I like Carrey, he's the best thing here by a mile, and there is no reason why the cannot be in movies of a dark nature, but he should have kept well away from such an awful broken script.
½ September 7, 2014
Die Geschichte um die Verschwörungszahl, wäre ganz spannend gewesen! Nur wird die Story so um den heissen Brei geredet und in dem Mixer verschroben, dass man am Ende gar nicht mehr nach kommt. Man könnte meinen, Joel Schumacher versucht sich als David Lynch. Nur mit ungeahnten, schlechten Folgen. Due Hauptdarsteller sind gut gewählt, aber man sieht, dass sie sich abquälen, in dieser unausgegorenen Drehbuch. Auch Jim Carrey spielt sehr solide. Dazu noch in einem ernsteren Thema. Leider ist der Film nur Durchschnittsware!