The Number 23 Reviews

½ September 10, 2008
I was warned about this movie and didn't listen. For the record, Gail you were right and I'm a dumbass. The film was god awful. It is interesting in places but if I have to hear one more person add numbers together to equal 23 I'm gonna strangle them. Maybe that's why the number drives people crazy cause people who are obsessed with it are annoying. Oh, and Jim Carrey. I liked you in The Mask and Dumb and Dumber so I'm gonna give you a tip: Stick to comedy. You're not sexy and I never want to see you naked again. Oh! and you're not a badass either so wash your freakin hair already and go back to talking out of your butt.
½ July 4, 2012
Jim Carrey does his best here but the story looses it's intrigue by a cliche twist
May 14, 2011
I thought that this was rather good tbh! I enjoy any serious role with Jim Carrey in so this was no exception. The plot is somewhat reminiscent of Secret Window (another good movie but not sure which came first) so that alone intrigued me when I read the synopsis. Definitely worth a watch.
½ January 17, 2015
Uno de los peores thrillers que ví.
½ January 7, 2015
A mind-bending concept that could have been better executed.
Robbanflix
May 27, 2007
I know many dont like this movie but i thought it was pretty good. Jim Carrey did a great role altho he probably fits better in comedies but as i said he can makes this type of movies aswell. Story is about the number 23 which the main character (J. Carrey) get totally obsessed about and he see that number everywhere. Overall a interesting movie and well made and i enjoyed it.
½ October 29, 2014
While Carey is definitely a good actor, as seen by other non-comedic roles, this movies is just dull. The plot is predictable, the twist you can see coming a mile away, and most of the other characters are uninteresting. If they'd gone a similar route as Pi, I think the movie would've worked much better, but as is... it's clumsy with little scariness still in it.
½ October 25, 2014
I love Jim Carrey more than the air I breath but this was horrid.

Just a jumble of nonsense, that I have to admit, initially had potential.
½ October 18, 2014
(22%) A quite sizeable misstep in Carrey's career that is messier than Jim's character. The biggest problem is quite a big one all told, and it's the plot. It just doesn't work. Carry's on-screen wife finds an old book in a book shop, she reads it all cover to cover in less than 10 minutes flat (sizeable flaw number 1), then Carrey spends almost the rest of the movie reading and obsessing over it like a man who has just discovered fiction for the first time in his life (sizeable flaw number 2). And his obsession is based around a number because it appears to be interconnected to many different things in his life as well as in history, but that's what numbers do, they interconnect with each other so 23 is just as interconnecting as 104 or 73 or any god damn number (sizeable flaw number 3). The ending is a terrible slap in the face, heap of piffle that even manages to let down even a poor movie (sizeable flaw number 4), and even before you get there the movie is overly confusing, badly edited at times (notice the god-awful cut just before Carrey is about to say a line?), and it's one of those movies that gets worse the longer it runs. And I'm quite sure I could get to sizeable flaw number 23 if I could be bothered, but it's no worth it. I like Carrey, he's the best thing here by a mile, and there is no reason why the cannot be in movies of a dark nature, but he should have kept well away from such an awful broken script.
½ September 7, 2014
Die Geschichte um die Verschwörungszahl, wäre ganz spannend gewesen! Nur wird die Story so um den heissen Brei geredet und in dem Mixer verschroben, dass man am Ende gar nicht mehr nach kommt. Man könnte meinen, Joel Schumacher versucht sich als David Lynch. Nur mit ungeahnten, schlechten Folgen. Due Hauptdarsteller sind gut gewählt, aber man sieht, dass sie sich abquälen, in dieser unausgegorenen Drehbuch. Auch Jim Carrey spielt sehr solide. Dazu noch in einem ernsteren Thema. Leider ist der Film nur Durchschnittsware!
½ June 17, 2014
I like Jim Carrey a lot. I hate Joel Schumacher a lot. And, unfortunately, I also hate The Number 23 a lot, and Jim Carrey, despite being a fantastic actor in non-comedic roles, doesn't do anything to stop me from saying this movie is horrible. Granted, he does an okay job in the film, but half the time it's just Carrey or someone else making up random excuses for why a specific name, event, even color eventually adds up to 23. Anyone could make up other random reasons for it equals a different number. And in the end, none of it makes sense, most things that happen are just plain, idiotic, conveniences. I had low expectations, but The Number 23 couldn't even reach those - 1.9/10
August 24, 2014
how could transform a comedian like jim carrey into a Serious Movie actor!?
February 14, 2010
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ August 3, 2014
Better than expected.

Jim, while hard to take him seriously after watching a dozen movies previously that were comedies manages to make it work.
½ July 2, 2007
Definitely worth watching at least once..
½ August 1, 2014
I would watch Batman & Robin twice before I watched this again.
July 24, 2014
Surprisingly low score for this actually very claustrophobia-inducing, paranoid schizophrenic rompisode. Carrey is believably unhinged and full of tics. The story is bizarre. The film is like a cross between 1998's "Pi" and 2006's "Bug", but I found it more entertaining than both.
½ July 4, 2014
poor story... it is a total "Jim Carrey disappointment"
½ February 18, 2013
It was alright, not horrendous as the critics saw it.