67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

100% New Girl: Season 4
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

The Numbers Station Reviews

August 29, 2014
The Numbers Station is a cheap and predictable thriller that works only because of its two leading cast members: John Cusack and Malin Akerman. I say SKIP IT!!!
August 25, 2014
The numbers station see a CIA agent given one last job to look after a code operator in a secret location in England. Soon the station comes under threat and he must protect the girl from being killed and decide if he should listen to the operator or go on his instinct. If the codes get into the wrong hands a number of people will face being executed.
Angelo Dean
July 10, 2014
1.5 Stars for Cusack and 1 Star for Akerman. Did not like the movie that much
Al S

June 24, 2013
An intelligent, fresh and high-octane edge of your seat thriller that's laced with explosive action and character development. A sharp and well-crafted movie with gripping performances. John Cusack and Malin Akerman are right on the money, have have engaging chemistry and give strong and rather soulful performances. Cusack hits all the right notes and shines. Akerman is charismatic and gives plenty of heart to her role. Liam Cunningham is terrific. Director, Kasper Barfoed keeps the films pace moving good and it keeps your attention firmly on the main characters in isolated locations to give a more claustrophobic feel. An explosively entertaining action-packed thrill-ride
March 28, 2014
Essentially a poor man's version of Grosse Pointe Blank!
ForrestBlump
March 14, 2014
Mostly agree with the other critics , not very interesting or entertaining
February 25, 2014
The enemy never feels threatening, a major problem for a movie that revolves around an enemy.

The basic premise (compromised code station) is promising, but everything about The Numbers Station feels sub. Sub-par. Sub-effort. Sub-budget. Nothing clicks enough to become engaging.

As a stream on Netflix it works fine enough to burn some time and consume some popcorn, but don't expect anything more.
February 3, 2014
A movie to forget with predictable plot and quite under the average performances from Cusack and Akerman.
May 30, 2013
A good concept for a story, but this film isn't that good. You, guys can skip this one.
January 5, 2014
good performances - a little slow perhaps
December 23, 2013
Mediocre at best. John Cusack is right at the top of my personal A list and his fans deserve better. He's not desperate for roles or money, so why take lame stuff like this? I don't get it. Still, it had its merits, although very few and far between. Extra half star just for being a Cusack film.
Dave J
December 2, 2013
Monday, December 2, 2013

(2013) The Numbers Station
ACTION THRILLER

I remembered a quote from one of my all time favorite movies which was from "Casablanca" and it was a response from Major Heinrich Strasser in which he replied to the Ingrid Bergman character "that human life is cheap". And for the longest time, I was anticipating to see another current movie that can show this, and I was finally relieved that I finally saw another current movie where human life can be perceived as cheap and it happened to be this movie. "The Numbers Station" as the movie indicates is about people using numbers or codes which were used since World War II. In this case, it's run by an underground gov't agency which agents are given orders to execute specific people assuming that the people that're targeted deserved to be killed- this practice operates much harshly than the C.I.A. or the K.G.B. which a person can't just leave once you're in. For it can be compared to the mafia except that the agents have a license to kill without any consequences whatsoever. John Cusack happens to be one of those agents to perform this dangerous task which he could be killed in the process since it operates itself like a contract killing similar to what assassins or a hired hit man does. At the beginning, he successfully executes 3 people at a bar with one person escaping. The agency finds out where he's hiding out and they send Emerson Kent (John Cusack) to finish what he's started, but comes across an obstacle where there was a witness. And this witness gets killed too no matter what the circumstances are. Kent then becomes emotionally bothered by this for he hardly sleeps, since he's a human being too for one of the rules upon joining this agency is that you're not permitted to show any emotion. The agency acknowledges this so they send him to some isolated area in England with a new assignment where he's being ordered to look after a woman who's good at decoding numbers and is labelled as a "cryptologist" or 'code breaker' her name is Katherine played by Malin Akerman. And after she makes several attempts to bond with Emerson Kent is when things start to happen where other people had also discovered there secret locked facility, and have killed the previous "cryptologist" worker as well as her security guard agent. Viewers are then wondering how or if they ever are going to get out of this situation, since both characters of Elizabeth and Kent can't leave this agency and at the same time people are coming after them.

This movie has remnants of 2005 "The Matador" with Pierce Brosnan since the main protagonists can never chose to leave from an agency who seem to have taken a hold onto both of their lives, and "28 Days Later" because of the musical score as well as the direction.

A movie that is less than a hour and a half requires viewers to observe and actually "listen" to every single line that's been spoken, particularly between the characters of Cusack and Akerman since things that are missed may result in not liking the film altogether. In the instance of war in general soldiers fighting onto the field are all pawns of whatever decisions the gov't decides since some wars are not necessary and the analogy of this movie is like a different type of pawn.

Footnote: "Cryptologists" are still being used today as mentioned on a recent 60 minutes segment with something to do with the NSA leaks.

3.5 out of 4 stars
December 15, 2013
Pretty damn poor. Managed to buy a copy to watch, as I'm an avid amateur radio user, and it was pretty poorly put together and overall disappointing as they could have done so much more instead of the generic Hollywood style cinema that we see everywhere.
November 22, 2013
I really do not know what John Cusack would do these movies. it has really good potential with Malin Akerman but it lacked the real sense of thrill.
December 7, 2013
After his latest mission goes disastrously wrong, veteran CIA black ops agent Emerson Kent is given one last chance to prove he still has what it takes to do his job. His new assignment: guarding Katherine, a code operator at a top-secret remote CIA "Numbers Station" where encrypted messages are sent and received. When an elite team of heavily armed assailants lays siege to the station, Emerson and Katherine suddenly find themselves in a life-or-death struggle against an unknown enemy. With the station compromised and innocent lives at stake, they must stop the deadly plot before it's too late.

Good performances by John Cusack and Malin Akerman.
December 6, 2013
First off let me say that John Cusack playing a dead serious hitman is about as miscast as Ricky Gervais as an action star, I just couldn't buy it. With that being said, this movie really had nothing going for it, some vague plot about numbers read over a broadcast being responsible for worldwide assassinations, zzz... what a waste of a Friday evening.
Dann M

December 3, 2013
A stereotypical espionage thriller, The Numbers Station is competent enough but isn't very engaging. When a US secret intelligence base is attacked a CIA agent and a cryptographer have to hold off a strike team and regain control of the dispatch system in order to stop a series of assassinations. John Cusack and Malin Akerman lead the cast and give solid performances. However, the writing is rather poor and employs some insane logic in regards to how the CIA works. While it's fairly entertaining and delivers some thrills, The Numbers Stations is formulaic and predictable.
November 15, 2013
I thought it looked interesting - but I fell asleep to this movie. Twice. So I've never actually watched the whole movie, but it can't be that good ;-)
April 26, 2013
When you expect more from Cusack ....
November 6, 2013