63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Oranges Reviews

Nicki M

June 28, 2014
I'm surprised at the bad reviews. I enjoyed this.
Storyline is a bit iffy with younger girl falling for her father's best friend, who also happens to be married, but it's really well done and the cast are excellent. It's a drama, but there is a kind of black humour to it, and it's kind of a Xmas movie too, which I didn't expect.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 1, 2013
Sex. Betrayal. Scandal. Make yourself at home.

Very good movie I liked it! Although this film does not have a complicated plot or much depth, I thought it was fun and found myself smiling all the way through. If you are looking for a simple and amusing film this is the one for you. The story observes many real life feelings and situations even if it does cross over into the surreal sometimes. It doesn't have the scripted feeling that so many comedies seem to fall into and keeps a jovial feeling without leaving you cringing. I thought Hugh Laurie was brilliant as House and I have wanted to see him in other things but was put off by the rating on this film. It is never going to be an epic but it is fantastic for what it is. A true feel good movie if you are in the mood for a dose of reality and can put aside some skepticism.

The enduring friendship between the Walling and Ostroff families is tested when Nina, the prodigal Ostroff daughter, returns home for the holidays after a five-year absence and enters into an affair with David, head of the Walling family.
Anthony L

June 12, 2013
In 1998 Julian Farino made a film called The Last Yellow. I loved it and told everyone I knew to go see it. The press hated it and I've been waiting for him to make another film ever since. Finally, in 2012 he makes The Oranges. This time, I dislike it and the press think it's ok. Honestly though, I'll try to put the fact that I was anticipating this film for 14 years to one side and make a fair judgement. It's got a great cast and I really wanted to like it but it soon went into corny, cliched and cringe-worthy territory, pretended to be right on, quirky and different and failed miserably. I didn't like it. Everything I didn't want to happen, happened.
Mark A

June 21, 2013
We just watched this one tonight and I was impressed. Great cast, a tough story, and a well done film all around. I'm giving it four stars. I had never seen Alia Shawkat, as Vanessa, before, and really liked her fresh face. She served as the narrator and was probably the sanest of the major characters. The two women, Paige (Keener) and Carol (Janney), grated on the nerves a bit with their histrionics, but, I could overlook that as the various relationships played out. Seeing Keener and Platt together on the screen again, reminded me of Please Give, and Paige was in many ways similar to Kate from the earlier film, but that proved interesting by comparison. I also enjoyed the two extra featurettes on the disc, a making of and a behind the scenes offering. It was interesting to hear the various participants talk about the film. Hugh Laurie commented that the challenge is to present the central characters as believable as a couple, but also to make them sympathetic, someone that you can root for. In that effort, I felt they were particularly successful.
PantaOz
PantaOz

July 31, 2013
At first thought that this romantic comedy/drama mix could deliver, mainly relying on the cast starring Hugh Laurie, Leighton Meester, Catherine Keener, Oliver Platt, Allison Janney, Alia Shawkat, and Adam Brody. It was directed by Julian Farino (debut as motion picture director), and the story deals with a scandal involving a married man and his friends' daughter. Not a comfortable story but offers lots of opportunities. The weakest part was the screenplay which didn?t use all these opportunities these situations were giving. When you have one couple, David and Paige Walling (Hugh Laurie and Catherine Keener) being friends for decades with Terry and Cathy Ostroff (Oliver Platt and Allison Janney) and as best friends and neighbours share everything , it is missed opportunity if you concentrate only on the affair. Nina Ostroff (Leighton Meester), newly broken up with her fiancÚ (Sam Rosen), returns home for Thanksgiving after a five-year absence. Rather than developing an interest in the successful son of her neighbours, Toby Walling (Adam Brody), which would please both families, it's her parents' best friend David who captures Nina's attention? and instead of hell braking loose? everything was pretty lame for a reaction! On the other hand, the script, written by Jay Reiss and Ian Helfer, appeared on 2008's Black List of best unproduced work; funny part is that list also featured The Beaver and Inglourious Basterds.

I still think that the casting was superb but it's a familiar story and even superb cast could not make it fresh. I cannot say I didnt enjoy it ! I loved how the film examines the interpersonal dynamics in an honest way, but for a higher score this movie needed to deliver little sharper, and cuts a little deeper: something that demands more of its performers, and delivers more to its audience.
Christopher H

August 1, 2012
With a great cast and of-our-time, messy love story, "The Oranges" plays out similar to an off-beat comedy like "Orange County". The narration is used effectively to tell the story and comes from the best character it could (Alia Shawcat), while the story itself is fresh, depicting the older man / younger woman scenario like its never been told before, bringing to light the complex nature of doing what makes you happy, regardless of what people around you will say. Hugh Laurie shows that he definitely has a place following the conclusion of "House M.D." while the rest of the cast fill their roles nicely without much rising above their regular performances.