63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Other F Word Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

October 1, 2011
Punk rockers traditionally seem like the last type of guys you would think of as being good fathers, but that is exactly what this documentary sets out to prove: that being a "punk rock dad" isn't an oxymoron after all.

The film was initially inspired by Pennywise frontman Jim Lindberg's book Punk Rock Dad, and he is the main focus here< as the film follows his life of trying to juggle being a father and the singer for one of the giants of the punk world. Along the way, he is joined by a Greek chorus of fellow punks and counter culture guys (like Tony Hawk) who also weigh in on the idea of punk fathers and give their sides of the story.

The set up I gave you isn't actually stated in the film, which sucks, and could be disorienting for some people. The commentary track says all this, but the film itself doesn't. And by all of that, I mean how the film is primarily structured around Lindberg. That aside, this is a really good documentary. It's funny, charming, insightful, and at times, really moving and heartfelt. I do wish some of these guys got more screen time than others, but it is nevertheless funny as hell to see a playground clear out as soon as Lars Fredrickson and his kid show up, all because Lars is covered head to toe with tons of tattoos.

I also absolutely loved how the film humanized these guys, and showed that they are trying to learn from the past and be the figures that many (though not all) of them never had in their lives. Not only are these guys able to be both punks and fathers, some of them are actually excellent fat being dads. It seems weird to think of guys who preach anti-authoritarian messages as being good disciplinarians, but they somehow make it work.

The music is of course really good, if you dig punk that is, and the interview segments/concert footage is all shot nicely too.

Overall, this is a wonderful film, and one you should definitely see. Probably the most poignant way to describe this movie is by one of the taglines: punk rock never meant to grow up, but it did.
Eric B

June 24, 2012
"The Other F Word" (hint: it's "fatherhood") is a nice little documentary if (if!) you can focus on the emotional issues and ignore the punk-rock participants' adolescent crudeness and formulaic, retread music. Adding a couple of skateboarders to the interview subjects weakens the film's thrust, but the heart of the story is outgoing Pennywise singer Jim Lindberg, who seems admirably grounded as he matter-of-factly touches up his gray beard and sighs about the repetitive grind of touring.
September 15, 2013
A touching look at when punk rock has to grow up.
Definitely worth a watch even if you don't listen to punk rock. Rather than fighting against something, these guys grow up and fight for their kids and their wives.
A solid rock-umentary, if you will.

On Netflix now.
September 9, 2012
Great film about a lot of the punk bands I grew up listening to and how their lives changed when they became fathers. All new level of respect for Jim Lindbergh (ex singer of Pennywise). Kids are such an incredible blessing. This movie puts a lot in perspective.
June 29, 2012
Not every father in this doc is interesting. I found Everclear's Art Alexakis the most fascinating. He acoustic version of FATHER OF MINE is amazing. That alone is worth seeing the movie.
June 20, 2012
to see NoFX, Rancid, Pennywise ,Flea and Rise against as well as others talk Punk rock and Fatherhood its very enlighting
February 22, 2014
Opened my eyes to such a new perspective on music, fatherhood and life in general. There is plenty of the original F word here, but it's well worth watching.
December 1, 2013
As a fan of most of the punk rockers, this movie provided a really interesting look in the personal lives of these guys and there relationships with their kids. Very well done.
May 19, 2013
I loved the soundtrack to this movie.
gillianren
February 10, 2013
Since When Is Blink-182 Punk?

Frankly, I think one of the biggest lies you can tell yourself is that having kids won't change anything. They shouldn't change everything, but if they don't change anything, there's something wrong with you and how you're raising your kids. When I saw [i]The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe[/i] in the theatre at the midnight showing, some people in the row ahead of us had brought an infant with them, and that was just ridiculous. If you can't get the sitter, you don't go. That's how it works. I suspect but cannot prove that you never know just how much kids are going to change your life until you're raising them. I do know that, even though I'm not raising her, one of the most significant moments of my life was the first time I looked into her eyes. She's still the most important thing in the world to me, and the only thing that's going to match it is when her half-sibling is born.

These fathers are not the kind you would expect to see at PTA meetings. They are such people as Jim Lindberg of Pennywise, Tony Cadena of The Adolescents, and Lars Frederiksen of Rancid. These are men who made their names railing against the system. If I were more into punk rock, I doubt I would need the film to tell me who they are. I'd know their voices, if not their faces. And after screaming at audiences for decades about breaking the rules, they find themselves laying down the rules. You see, dads have to do that sometimes, even if they're all about freedom. Bad enough that their necessary tour supplies include Just For Men to disguise greying beards and hats to hide receding hairlines. Your childless bandmates aren't going to get that you have to take a day or two away from a tour sponsored by a liquor brand to go home and take your middle child to the father-daughter dance. Your kids' friends' parents aren't all that appreciative when you forget to change the shirt with the profanity on it, either.

It's worth noting that almost all of these men themselves came from broken homes of one kind or another--they were runaways or their parents divorced or, often, both. They didn't have great fathers themselves, and they're trying to do better. Yeah, it's hard to grow old in punk rock no matter what. Everyone expects you to burn out or go crazy like Sid Vicious. However, it seems an odd standard of quality parenting to be proud that none of your teenaged children have run away from home, the way Ron Reyes of Black Flag is. The big conflict in the movie is between Lindberg, who wants to spend more time at home with his kids, and his bandmates, who don't think he's willing enough to go on tour. The documentary counts some two hundred days of touring during the time that the movie was filmed (though I don't know how long that was!), and Lindberg says he's pretty sure that they're actually touring more of late. The drummer, who is never interviewed, also has three children; I wanted to know how he felt.

There's something a little perverse to seeing Flea tear up over the importance of parenting. This is a man who is best known for wearing either pants made of stuffed animals or no pants--just a sock. And, yes, he is one of the dads whose attire when he went in for a parent-teacher conference heartily embarrassed his child. Because he is Flea, and he does not own normal pants, apparently. (Hey, at least he wasn't wearing the sock.) Most of these guys talk about how incredibly changed their lives are. Punk rock is a genre of the young, because the young don't have to worry about providing health care for anyone. (Am I the only person who wonders what Flea's daughter's last name is?) Now that they're older, now that they're parents, they can't just watch the world burn, because they have people they care about who would burn with it and aren't capable of getting themselves out of the way. They have to take care of someone, which in a way is taking care of everyone.

These men are perhaps not the best role models--though I admire Reyes, who decided that he would quit rock and get a day job so he could take better care of his kids. There is probably a way of taking care of your kids and still living the kind of life these men have, but it certainly isn't easy. Mostly, these people are making the choices between punk and parenthood, and it seems other parents who aren't punk rockers understand that more than other punk rockers who aren't parents. The soul of punk rock is doing what you want to do, and the soul of parenting is putting someone else first. It's a hard balance to find. That's the real issue of this story, and it's worth watching if you're ever planning to have kids. Kids don't change everything, but they do change a lot of things, and you won't know until you're raising them what they're going to change. It's more than just your TV habits--or having to listen to the clean version of your own albums in the car.
January 18, 2013
The more I think about it the more I believe this is the best documentary I have ever seen.
November 4, 2012
"Maybe the way change the world is by raising better kids"
January 19, 2012
Funny, Touching and wery realistic!!! this movie shows you cases that could go wrong but it went well. And makes you think that sometimes fatherhood can change it all...
June 15, 2012
Thi is really cute and entertaining, particularly with Father's Day coming up!
June 11, 2012
Nice backstage story....
December 25, 2011
Have you checked this out yet
March 27, 2012
Heartbreaking!!! Tears in my eyes!!! If you're a father - a must see film!!!
March 1, 2012
Zajebisty dokumencik o tym jak pancury z kultowych kapel starzej? si?/doj-what?!-rzewaj?.
October 1, 2011
Very good. Punk Rock Parenthood. Very interesting watch.