63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Other Side of the Ice Reviews

April 4, 2013
Sprague has bravely gone where no one should and with his family no less. Spectacular scenery, lonely "ice"oslation would drive any mortals into fear and uncertainty, captured brilliantly - the movie critics don't have a clue - watch it again, this is a real movie without special effects or paid actors, a very real movie that pops back into your mind weeks after viewing.
March 30, 2013
This is an outstanding journey to follow, both globally and familial. The dedication and perseverance of Sprague, his family and crew is awe inspiring. Not only is this film a feast for the eyes with its landscapes and wildlife, but for the senses too. Watching and observing how such a massive undertaking takes it's toll on everyone aboard, was real and painful at times. I was riveted when they were trapped in the ice only a mere 10 miles from the completion of the Passage. This journey is so important to see the impact of global warming. As a middle school teacher, I highly recommend this documentary. It teaches us to follow your heart, your passion and how family can become closer even through the most difficult times.
March 30, 2013
Emotional and raw at times...just like life...this TRUE story will hit home with families around the globe as a Dad is brave enough to gather his estranged and now grown children and step children together for not only a voyage of a lifetime but to try and heal old woulds in dangerous surroundings..beautiful and amazing scenery.
March 29, 2013
Loved it. The family's courage, angst and ultimate triumph unfolds against a backdrop of the most dramatic displays of nature. Bravo Sprague Theobald and kudos to your whole family.
March 28, 2013
I am so impressed by this documentary and found myself being drawn into an intimate and understated portrait of a family coming together after years of separation and estrangement. Imagine being isolated on a 57' vessel in one of the most challenging environments anywhere in the world. Surrounded by the dramatic beauty and power of nature, where few have transited successfully. The family and crew must put aside past disappointments and heartache to focus on survival. In the process, relationships are transformed and a new basis for going forward is established. Seldom do we have an opportunity to witness such an honest and sensitive portrayal of a man and his family's innermost feelings in a state of transition.
Mary G.
March 26, 2013
Loved this movie! What an adventure, both fun and dangerous. The viewer is torn between wishing to be on the journey and glad not to be. Sprague Theobald's fragile, emotional state was very real and warranted. He and his family had the guts to take a huge risk in challenging the Northwest Passage. The beauty of this film is that it invites all of us to experience the challenging, dangerous journey with the Theobald family, without risk. We were glued to the screen during this real life triumph, which could have ended tragically. The photography/scenery was beautiful and introduced us to a part of the world that most of us will never visit. A five star documentary!
Dan S.
March 20, 2013
In this modern world of "fake" adventure and contrived dangers, there aren't many exploits which can turn heads and be called "real" and "authentic". Taking a small boat to sea is about as real as it gets and taking that same boat thru the Northwest Passage is off the charts real. Sprague did it and he did it with a background of money issues, personal challenges and unexpected family dynamics and difficulties. When the weather closed in, there were several times that Sprague and his crew of family members had no "plan B". I am not the first post on this site and I see that others have complained about the bickering and squabbling that is shown in the film. Yep.. it is there. How could it not be? Try imagining yourself in a situation where 6 of your family members are cooped up on a 57 foot boat for weeks on end.. and then toss in danger and uncertainty. The family dynamics add to the drama and the spectacular scenery and the rawness of the film make it spellbinding and unforgettable. I absolutely loved it and my only complaint is that it wasn't longer.
March 25, 2013
Fascinating adventure in the Arctic... beautiful, lush cinematography. A realistic look at a family traversing a notoriously dangerous passage, under intense conditions.
March 18, 2013
This film captured a very interesting path. One of a desolate majestic area, the north passage and all it consists of. But on board is a real sea expedition of adventure, crew, and family. Bringing elements of all together in a story that held my interest as well as took me to locations I've thought about and am even now more interested in. Wildlife, ocean, arctic lands and locations are all on board and sea life of that area is just breathtaking to witness! Real people and a true life sea adventure not in that "realityish package" left me staying for the Q&A. A go see in my opinion
Thom E
NYC
March 18, 2013
This is a tale of two stories. The documentary's main purpose is a chronological and visual mapping of a ship making a voyage through the Northwest Passage. Unbeknownst to myself, one of 30 or less that have completed the voyage. Quite a feat in it's own right. The second story showcases the difficulties of the trip and most importantly the reconnection of the filmmaker and his children. You have to admire anyone who can write, direct, film, fund, all while managing the challenges of trekking across unknown territories. In the genre of documentaries, this is well worth seeing.
March 13, 2013
Gripping adventure with spectacular scenery and plenty of family tension. Held my interest throughout.
March 10, 2013
What I loved most about "The Other Side of the Ice" was the breadth and depth of the journey on which it took me. Straightaway the powerfully moving soundtrack drew me alongside "Bagan" for the journey of a lifetime. I enjoyed the exposure to Nature on so many different levels. The geography was unfamiliar and sometimes desolate and very uninviting. In contrast it was fun getting a chance to see all the wildlife (whales, walruses, seals, polar bears, etc.) at home in their natural environment, seemingly unphased by their visitors. Then came the more frightening, life-threatening aspects of Nature, the atmospheric conditions, the ice and water, when and where was it going to be navigable? The physical aspect of this trip is only a part of what this documentary conveys. Coupled with it is a strong, emotional component, as Sprague reunites with his son, and two step-children (the bulk of the crew), after 18 years of absence. Not only does Sprague evoke our sentiments in response to the physical expedition, but maybe more importantly, to issues of the heart as the family members freely offer their opinions with openness and honesty as the family heals. All hands are now on deck for an intriguing adventure of various personalities and familial love. All in all, Sprague Theobald seems to hold a magical ability to elicit visceral emotions and masterfully implements his wizardry.
March 10, 2013
A compelling story of their family drama as it plays out against the visual alone-ness of wilderness and the mounting tension to make it to safety in two ways...through the Passage and of their reunion as a family. The music score was perfect partner to the tension of this film.
March 9, 2013
I read the book and then, last night, I saw the movie. And this was after I had published Sprague's stories, written during the trip, in Motor Boating. Even with all that background, the film was everything I had expected - a terrific adventure story in one of the most remote (and lethal) areas of the planet, with a heavy overlay of family drama played out on a 57-foot boat. I fully understood why Sprague kneeled down and kissed the dock when this life-changing trip ended in Seattle.
March 9, 2013
I ventured into the Quad to see an adventure film, and as soon as it began I realized that it was to be a family adventure as well as an oceanic one. As a painter and psychologist all my nerve endings put themselves out there on high alert and none were disappointed. The people relationships, the people-land-animal relationships, the ongoing sense of God's Creative Beingness in all this high drama was shown in a warm emotionally authentic and naturalistic saga. Kudos to all!
March 9, 2013
Solitude can make a man go insane. Spending numerous days on a relatively small ship traveling across the uncharted territory of the Northwest Passage with a tightly bound crew can do the same. There's a story, then there's reality - this film shows both. Ever wonder what a National Geographic type journey is like behind the scenes? You've come to the right place. Theobald gives a glimpse into the hardship behind an epic journey with stunning visuals and a storyline that strikes a chord with family values, strength and the perseverance to just keep going. If you enjoy seeing reality in life, go ahead and see this film.
March 9, 2013
Do yourself a favor and see this film. The idea of a man on a boat with everything he loves in life is explored here in interesting detail, but without a lot of fluff (see "Life of Pi")-there's no CGI here. And none needed thanks to the forbidding, awe-inspiring landscape. My only wish is that the filmmaker delved even deeper into the complex relationships between him and his children, him and his boat, and him and the goals he set out to accomplish. Well worth your time.