71% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Perfect Age of Rock 'n' Roll Reviews

March 20, 2014
while this is no 'eddie and the crusiers' its still pretty good
November 8, 2013
Slow film - not worth the time. The music is pretty good, but otherwise it is a very slow and boring film
August 26, 2012
One of the most enjoyable movies - I've had the pleasure to experience - in quite some time now ____
July 1, 2012
it's good, the music's good, the story's good
Cynthia S

January 22, 2012
I love movies about bands, and I thought that this movie was very well done. I really like Kevin Zegers, and Jason Ritter, especially. I think they are two young stars who don't get near enough credit for their work. I thought they were great in their roles, and played off each other very well. Peter Fonda was great, also. There are some fantastic bar scenes with some really rocking music, and I would love to find the soundtrack to this. This movie does resemble Eddie and the Cruisers, which I think hurt this movie with the critics. I am no critic, so therefore, I allowed myself to enjoy the ride...
April 3, 2012
Nothing special. Sort of a bore.
October 6, 2011
Not exactly original, but still a great piece with an awesome soundtrack and a fantastic performance by Jason Ritter. Kevin Zegers also does an okay job, at least when he's playing "Older Spyder".
March 17, 2012
Just not my thing, in addition to its lameness itself.
WSWu95
March 3, 2012
Just not my thing, in addition to its lameness itself.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

May 30, 2011
Cast: Kevin Zegers, Jason Ritter, Taryn Manning, Lukas Haas, Peter Fonda, Lauren Holly, Kelly Lynch, Aimee Teegarden, Billy Dee Williams, Ruby Dee

Director: Scott D. Rosenbaum

Summary: After his second album fails, famous rocker Spyder returns to his hometown to lick his wounds. There, he reunites with his former best friend, a fellow musician, and soon the two set off on a road trip on historic Route 66 with a new band.

My Thoughts: "The story is one of betrayal and regrets. Which is common in any Rock n' Roll story. It's not the best Rock n' Roll story I've seen but it's definitely better then some I've seen in the past. But anyone who is a music fan is going to check this film out. I actually enjoyed the story and how it was told. I love Kevin Zegers and Jason Ritter, I think they are two young stars who don't get enough credit for their work. I thought they were great in their roles and played off of each other well. Peter Fonda as August West was great as well and brought wisdom to these young rockers. There are a few great scenes in here, one being the blue's bar scene. The movie has a great soundtrack to boot. So see this if you get a chance."
January 21, 2012
i'll admit that the plot isn't necessarily original (the typical rockstar drama), but i found myself really liking this one
January 21, 2012
It was interesting how the film showcased the idea that all the best musicians are dead by age 27 (Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Robert Johnson, Jim Morrison..the list goes on... I definitely recommend this movie. I thought this movie was really enjoyable to just take in the music and the road trip. Check it out at least once.
Sonny O.
January 21, 2012
(would've preferred 45%, to be more definitive than on the line here, but anyway...)

The Last Highway of Rock 'n' Roll (High & Narrow)

It's not only that the script sounds written by a college student and the actors look fresh out of 1st year grad school, it's that the film lacks the professional cutlery to put this together right. Which makes me wonder, "How'd they get Peter Fonda in this one?" But then I realized, "No, that's harkening back to Peter's former esteem. It is actually quite reasonable that Peter Fonda is in this film." And for that matter, "Way to go, kids on getting Peter Fonda into this film, and way to go Peter Fonda for doing this film!" A solid 2 stars! Two stars and no kick to the nuts implied!

This movie kind of steps the stones of plot point on the surface of the water, rather than dive into the murky waters and draw up some deeper substance of human material and particulars of story. Many a youngin' in their adolescent years may enjoy this film, therefore, based on the simple narrative itself. That is not to be an insult, ye jaunty pubees. That is just simple fact. So, enjoy!

(And sorry to those pubes who for one reason or another already find this stuff hack. Coincidentally, it is for this same reason that what would later be labeled "grunge" music suddenly swept the scene of glam rock, which will occur just after the setting of this particular film.)

One thing this film does do right is frame and light the producer/roadie-girl's body in such a way during one post-coital sex scene as to illuminate her sheer hotness. But that doesn't gain any stars or nuthin'.

Seriously, here's the sticking point: the thing that really splits this band apart is over the sole possession of a woman. It is also obvious in this movie that both singer and songwriter NEED each other. So, Why don't you tools be a GOOD friggin' rock band and just SHARE the girl?! You got a bus! Jesus christ...

But since there are so many movies out there, 2 stars. ... But then again,,,

"Most men live lives of quiet desperation, and take the songs still in them to the grave."

One wonders if there's a middle ground in there.

Two and a half stars. (Out of five.)

--- Sonny O'Bicz
stategirl567
January 20, 2012
I wouldn't have been happy if I'd paid full price for a ticket because it does bring to mind Eddie & the Cruisers , one of my favorite movies growing up. That being said however, it was far better than it's first impressions.

There are some really good moments and every actor gives his best. There are different layers to the movie beyond just a rock star going back home to lick his wounds. There's the friend he left behind after stealing the demo that gave him fame. That same friend whose help he needs now to keep his career alive. The guitarist that still lives in the shadow of his father's tragic rock legend past, and may never become who he could be. The struggle of one guy having talent but little desire and the other that has the burning desire but no (writing) talent. The former is haunted by things that happened around him that he had no control over and the latter is haunted by all the bad choices he's made that's left him empty inside. All played to a soundtrack of rock that was born out of the blues.

And yes, there are cliche's like self-destructive rock stars, drug abuse, death. and "where the hell are we" tour moments, but overall, for grabbing this movie at random and hanging out at the house on a Thursday, it was a pretty good watch and I'd do it again.

Props to Ritter and Zegers for actually playing and singing the songs. Oh, and when compared to other movies where the actors are made up to look 20 years older, not only did the makeup team do a fantastic job of making it look real, Kevin Zegers did the work selling it by changing his voice and movement. (Yeah, I'm a movie geek like that. And it stands out because another movie I watched this week was weak in that department.)
August 17, 2011
Bry Phillip
Truly Awesome Movie from Scott Rosenbaum,Joseph White Kevin Joseph Zegers,Jason Ritter,Taryn,Lucas Peter,and the rest of the Cast and Crew! "Kevin gives a Stand Out Stellar Performance.". so proud of him. "Great Story, Great Music, Well Worth the Wait! Check Out the Perfect Age of Rock n Roll- "Truly Awesome"!!-Bry Phillip-CAA.LFC On Demand Everywhere Now!!
August 15, 2011
I loved this film so much! I wish all films were made this well!
August 8, 2011
And so recently I took my son to see an indie film. That film was ‚The Perfect Age of Rock & Roll‚?. This movie is my cousin Michael Jeremiah‚(TM)s first speaking role. It was a small role and I was happy for him. But now my review: (jude mentally cracks knuckles).

This was a film about two high school buddies with talent and dreams of rock & roll success. Spyder, lead vocalist, and Eric Jensen (played by Jason Ritter) as lyricist and lead guitarist. Spyder steals his partners demo songs and finds fame as a solo artist. When Spyder‚(TM)s second album is a flop he returns to his hometown of Oyster Bay, NY to reunite with Jensen and coerce him into making lyric magic all over again.

This is a formulistic pseudo road trip movie full of rock and roll clich√ (C)s. Despite decent production quality and better than average performances this film lacks the climatic ending I had hoped for. It seemingly ends without a resolution that made any sense in how the story had been building up to.
June 14, 2011
This film is going to rock! Been waiting a while for this one.