Five Favorite Films with Kathleen Turner

The enduring Hollywood actress and star of this week's The Perfect Family ponders an eclectic selection of her favorites.

Kathleen Turner began her career in the theater, before a sizzling film debut in Lawrence Kasdan's 1981 thriller Body Heat established her as one of the screen sirens of that decade. Hits ensued: Romancing the Stone, The Man with Two Brains, Prizzi's Honor, Peggy Sue Got Married and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? numbered among her critical and commercial successes, while Turner would gravitate toward the black comedy of The War of the Roses and, later, a delectably unhinged turn as John Waters' Serial Mom. Mixing film, TV and acclaimed stage roles since, Turner remains busy, and this week she headlines the independent comedy The Perfect Family, about a woman about to be named "Catholic of the Year" just as her household is coming apart.

We spent some time recently with Turner to talk about her favorite movies -- a subject that proved to be both challenging and an entertaining glance back at her career. "I just don't think that way, in terms of comparison and listing," Turner said, considering the topic of her Five Favorite Films. Nonetheless, we soldiered on...

The Music Lovers (Ken Russell, 1970; 67% Tomatometer)

One of the reasons I did Crimes of Passion was because I saw The Music Lovers, Ken Russell's film, with Richard Chamberlain. It was, and I still think it is, one of the most extraordinary films I have ever seen. Amazing. So when Ken came to talk to me about [Crimes], you know, I was thrilled. I got a wonderful note once from Isabella Rossellini and she told me that she did Blue Velvet because she saw Crimes of Passion. I thought that was a really nice compliment, because I think she's quite wonderful. So that's a movie.

I love Ken Russell's sense of excess; he's just fantastic.

Yeah. We talked a couple of months before he died. He wanted to shoot his version of Alice in Wonderland, and he wanted me for the Red Queen. But then, you know -- he passed away.

It's a shame, 'cause that would have been something.

It is a shame. I imagine it would have been something. Ken Russell's [Alice] would be unique. But not anymore.

Shrek (Andrew Adamson, 2001; 89% Tomatometer)

Anyway, what else? I love animated films. I really do. I enjoy them tremendously. I loved the film Shrek. I thought it was great. I loved the animation, I loved the humor.

You're of course synonymous with one of movies' more famous animated characters, Jessica Rabbit.

Well Jessica, that was an extraordinary experiment, that film -- putting together live film with animation. It was a wonderful job. Bob Zemeckis kept me informed all the way. He kept sending me the tapes of how the work was going and how they were doing it and all this stuff, when it got to the point where they were finally drawing in Jessica's body -- not her face, but her body -- so that I could start to put in all the breath and everything so that you could see the movement in the body. And then when we worked up to the face, you know; that whole process, it was fantastic.

You also did the voice in Monster House...

Yeah, but they cut the hell outta that. There was tons of stuff before she turned into the house, when she was the fat woman.

Still, I really liked that film. Did you and Bob ever talk about doing the sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I know the rumor has been floating around for years.

Oh it's been floating around for ages. First of all, I don't think anybody's gonna do that. Technology -- again, it was incredibly demanding and expensive, and they don't need to do it the same way now.

It'd be too easy now. The magic was in the challenge...

Yeah. It was drawing 300 frames a minute, you know. I mean, my God.

The Accidental Tourist (Lawrence Kasdan, 1988; 79% Tomatometer)

Alright, I've got an animated, I've got The Music Lovers... there must be something in between.

[Laughs] Between Ken Russell and children's animation? The first thing that sprang to mind -- and maybe 'cause you did Serial Mom with him -- would have to be John Waters.

[Laughs] Yes. John Waters would be that middle ground.

But I don't want to pick them for you. Was there something you loved as a kid?

I never saw many movies growing up. I grew up overseas, in South America, until we moved to London when I was in high school; and then, it was mostly theater that I went to, but not film. Films honestly didn't play a major part of my life until university, I guess; until I came back to the States -- and then of course there was very little else. [Laughs] I'm sorry! It's just not my strength here.

You've worked with some acclaimed filmmakers: Francis Coppola, John Huston, Robert Zemeckis, Lawrence Kasdan...

Well I would have to pick... even though I'm in it... I think one of my favorite films is The Accidental Tourist -- because I thought Larry [Kasdan] did such an extraordinarily wonderful transcription of the book. I mean, he was incredibly faithful to Anne Tyler, and people had been trying for years to do some of her books, and she'd never allowed it. She'd never been satisfied with film scripts, and when Larry did Accidental Tourist she felt that he really did capture the essence of her book. And I think we did, too. So that's one I truly loved.

You can include your own films, it's okay.

[Laughs] It's a really good film! I'm not sure it was ever as appreciated [as it should have been.] There we go, we've got three! I only need two more, huh?

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher, 2011; 87% Tomatometer)

Uh! Come on, there must have been something!

What's something you liked recently?

Oh actually, I liked The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I didn't really expect to, and I really did. I thought it was really well done. I liked it much more than I thought I would. That sounds like faint praise, but my expectations were that -- like most big American studio films -- it would be watered down and essentially de-toothed, de-clawed, whatever.

I think Fincher likes to put the teeth back in.

Yeah. [Laughs] So we can put that in, as a recent one.

Auntie Mame (Morton DaCosta, 1958; 92% Tomatometer)

Let's see, what else... [Long pause]

You're in a film that I'd put in my favorites.

Which one?

The Virgin Suicides.

Ah! Well, again, Sofia [Coppola] did an amazing transcription of the book, and again, Jeffrey Eugenides had never allowed anyone to do it because he was never satisfied with the film script. Sofia did that one on spec, really -- she had no guarantee.

It's a very sad performance from you.

Thank you. You know, it's a really terrifying film for me. I mean, Why? Why did these children decide that there was nothing to live for? My daughter was a teenager then, so it was very frightening for me to contemplate. [Pauses] Come on, start listing some films.

Classic films?

Oh -- if we're talking classic films, we'll go with Rosalind Russell. I adore Rosalind Russell. I think I'd have to go with Auntie Mame. That's actually a character I think I'd like to do one day. [Pauses] Phew!

Sorry to put you through all that.

[Laughs] I wish my brain worked that way! I wish I had lists in my head, but I don't.

You did pretty well, under pressure.

Thank you!

The Perfect Family is in selected theaters this week.

Comments

William H.

William Howell

First...She was awesome on Californication 2 seasons ago

May 1 - 11:50 AM

Mark Hamstra

LOL. I can still hear her voice, "Runckle! Get in here now!"

May 1 - 02:40 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I just couldn't get into the U.S. version of TGWTDT. I had seen the Swede version before the US version, which I'll admit ruined it a bit for me. But it was definitely the least inspired I have seen Fincher, IMO.

Turner was soooooo hot in '80s.

May 1 - 12:54 PM

Fanny Thébault-Dagher

Fanny Thébault-Dagher

Not the best of Fincher I'll agree, but still way better and WAY CLOSER to the book that the Swedish version. Come on!

May 1 - 02:26 PM

Mark Hamstra

I completely agree. The Swedish version nailed it, plus Fincher (or the screenwriter) messed up the ending making Lisbeth look like a love sick teen with the leather jacket she buys for Mikael. Ridiculous. Completely backwards from the book and orig film.

Kat doesn't seem to even like movies. Weird.

May 1 - 02:33 PM

Mark Hamstra

Fanny, Lisbeth likens Mikael to an amusing dog at the end of the Dragon Tattoo book.

May 1 - 02:37 PM

Dave J

Actually, I saw a Swedish actress on tv once or somehwat somewhere who read the book as well said that Daniel Craig fits the role as Mikael Blomkvist than the Swedish born actor Michael Nyqvist because he's not as attractive as the book implies! I started reading the book but as soon as I heard about the graphic rape scene, I decided to watch the movies instead!

May 1 - 03:10 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I'm not picking on you I promise, but that last sentence can't be right. You stopped reading the book because of the graphic rape scene and decided to watch the movie instead? You'd rather see it depicted on screen??

May 1 - 03:53 PM

Dave J

No pun intended! Because I'm always uncomfortable with that 'notion' and besides knowing people who have been victims of rape mental/physical including the fact that it's on the news often, for very 'slow' readers such as me, 'brutal rape' are usually graphically felt if they were read than if it were to be watched on tv since it can be fast-forwarded while playing in a manner of seconds or minutes if it's too long by using a remote control! Some of my book worm brothers are able to 'sift' some of those pages out and read only the ones they like whereas for me, once I start reading I have to consume the whole thing and sometimes that brutal depiction can overshadow whatever I read later!

May 1 - 05:34 PM

Dave J

You also have to remember that sometimes if books have rape depictions, the author can also describe in the smallest detail what the rapist is thinking, so if it's artificially viewed on-screen and if it only lasts a few minutes I wouldn't have to know about what the rapist is thinking because we all know how wrong it is regardless what his disgusting thoughts are!

May 1 - 05:34 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I understand, thanks for the clarification. You're right, words can be as powerful, or more powerful, than any visual put to film where scenes can be glossed over quickly. The Accused and Irreversible are two that didn't shy away from the depiction, and while they are worth seeing, especially the former, I'd never watch them again.
I actually haven't seen Tattoo so I don't know how they handled it.

May 1 - 05:52 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I fixed that quote a little. As funny as that was (no pun intended! - because there was no pun involved...nevermind) it strengthens my theory. I'm at the cusp of suspecting that Dave J. is a Gordon Franklin Terry Sr alias that he uses to mess with us. Saying jawdropping things, like how "Army of Darkness" was the last Sam Raimi CGI film he saw, before saying that he's never seen it in the very next comment. All that cracked syntax is like quicksand to suck us in, fishing for grammer nazis. Plus, I think it suits his sense of humor to decide to derail the subject of Kathleen Turner's favorite films into a comparative analysis of the comprehensive differences between reading graphic rape vs viewing graphic rape. The 'analysis' (and that pun is certainly intended) is funnier if one remembers a particularly memorable scene from "Body Heat". Of course I have no proof, as the web is full of weirdos. Don't think I didn't notice that Zachary C's fave horror films feature prominent Gordo blurbs. (After all, how many fans could "Behind the Door" actually have?) And again, I think the 'public restroom' avatar pic would also appeal to Mr. Terry's sense of humor somehow.

May 1 - 09:47 PM

Dave J

Jansen- Although I may have mistyped "that No pun intended" when I really meant "no offense taken", my problem with you is that you 'whiz' through my comments without actually reading the whole thing. I remembered that comment and that article and what I said about "Army Of Darkness" my point about that film was that it was the "last" film I enjoyed of Raimi's use of "CGI" or "special effects" in films since I refused to see any of the Spiderman films and saw "Darkman" and "Drag Me To Hell" instead- And if you still didn't understand that, then have someone explain it you but in a different text because you have the habit of 'concoting' my comments and then turning them into something else which I've never done to you! I mean if my 'comments' was that hard to understand someone wouldn't have properly replied them with a civilized response about my "Army Of Darkness" comment who pointed out to me that CGI was never used or applied in that film at all, and I properly replied back to him saying that their could be- it's not so hard to understand this!

Username "Brad" asked me a direct question to me and I answered- he was able to clearly understand my point unlike some people, now my question to you is since when did you come into this discussion?

May 2 - 02:50 PM

Dave J

Ahhhh, and I can see that you 'concoted' my comment again because this is my original comment via 'copy and then paste':

"I started reading the book but as soon as I heard about the graphic rape scene, I decided to watch the movies instead!"

This is how you 'interpreted' or in my opinion 'concoted' my original comment
"As soon as I heard about the graphic rape I ran right to TV as fast as I possibly could!"- I dunno about you but there's a big difference

And I rest my case, or let the users decide!

May 2 - 02:51 PM

Janson Jinnistan

How foolish I must have been to think I could get away with such a ruse. I can cut and paste too. "Brad H. on 04-30-2012 03:58 PM - I really have no idea what you're saying, Dave"

I'm going to start calling you 'Double Barrel Dave' for them one-two posts.

May 2 - 03:52 PM

Dave J

Wait a second, first you said I was the next "Gordon Franklin Terry SR" since you couldn't make out what I was jotting down, now you want to call me "Double barrel Dave" for submitting two posts one after another even though other users not just me have been doing it for years way before you became a user on RT- at least as long as we're allowed to do it, and at the same time 'you' yourself may have done the exact same thing which could be called a double standard- after all no one is forcing you to read every single comment here! So my solution is this, if my 'double posts' are so distracting, just read my "first" post and then dictate yourself not to read the other since you'll get all confused again because so far, you seem to be the one to have a problem with it, even though other users have done the exact same thing. The reason I double post along with other users 'double post' is just because we could!

Also, user Brad asked me a question and he understood my point even though you don't, which you still didn't answer my initial question what does my 'conversation' with Brad have anything to do with you? And what are you gaining from antagoning/ belittling me?

May 2 - 04:33 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Dave, relax and try to have a sense of humor about it. I've been wearing my jest on my sleeve.

May 2 - 04:51 PM

Dave J

Duely noted!! And I notice I mispelled "concoted" when I really meant "concocted" or "distorted" may be a better word!

May 2 - 05:26 PM

Janson Jinnistan

When people say they "fixed a quote", it sometimes means they've changed it to make it a joke.

May 2 - 07:00 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

I feel the same way, Infernaldude. It's not that I hated Fincher's version, but it was somewhat underwhelming IMO.

May 2 - 03:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I should probably point out that I really didn't care for the ending. I would have mentioned it earlier, but I hate spoilers, and my opinion of Rapace>Mara was partly related to that ending (which isn't really Mara's fault). Overall, I still prefer Rapace's performance as well.

May 2 - 03:56 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Rapace kicks butt. I can't help it, I just don't care for Mara as an actress. I think she's competent, but she doesn't have that extra special something that makes her truly memorable. Not for me, anyway.

May 2 - 08:09 PM

Janson Jinnistan

What's funny is how her fans claim that missing that "special something" is precisely what Lizbeth called for. I'd more easily believe that if I saw "something" in "Nightmare on Elm Street" or her 'cameo' in "Social Network". (How hard is it to act creeped out by Jesse Eisenberg?)

May 2 - 08:25 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

People will see what they want to see I suppose. And to answer your question, not very.

May 3 - 12:59 AM

Janson Jinnistan

If it wasn't too underwhelming, I'd be interested in seeing your review.

May 3 - 12:17 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

I was thinking about writing a review, actually. I'll let you know if I do :)

May 3 - 10:32 PM

Joseph E.

Joseph Elliott

This is one of my favourite lists in a while. Not because it aligns with my personal taste (it really doesn't), but it was just so casual and conversational. They just talked about some movies they liked ('they' as in, the interviewer and interviewee). Not necessarily a true "Top 5", but much more interesting than that.

Good stuff!

May 1 - 02:01 PM

Fanny Thébault-Dagher

Fanny Thébault-Dagher

May 1 - 02:26 PM

Mark Hamstra

Kat doesn't seem to even like movies. Weird.

May 1 - 02:33 PM

May 1 - 02:37 PM

May 1 - 03:10 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

May 1 - 03:53 PM

May 1 - 05:34 PM

May 1 - 05:34 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I actually haven't seen Tattoo so I don't know how they handled it.

May 1 - 05:52 PM

May 1 - 09:47 PM

May 2 - 02:50 PM

This is how you 'interpreted' or in my opinion 'concoted' my original comment

And I rest my case, or let the users decide!

May 2 - 02:51 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm going to start calling you 'Double Barrel Dave' for them one-two posts.

May 2 - 03:52 PM

May 2 - 04:33 PM

May 2 - 04:51 PM

May 2 - 05:26 PM

May 2 - 07:00 PM

May 1 - 02:37 PM

Mark Hamstra

LOL. I can still hear her voice, "Runckle! Get in here now!"

May 1 - 02:40 PM

May 1 - 03:10 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

May 1 - 03:53 PM

May 1 - 05:34 PM

May 1 - 05:34 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I actually haven't seen Tattoo so I don't know how they handled it.

May 1 - 05:52 PM

May 1 - 09:47 PM

May 2 - 02:50 PM

This is how you 'interpreted' or in my opinion 'concoted' my original comment

And I rest my case, or let the users decide!

May 2 - 02:51 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm going to start calling you 'Double Barrel Dave' for them one-two posts.

May 2 - 03:52 PM

May 2 - 04:33 PM

May 2 - 04:51 PM

May 2 - 05:26 PM

May 2 - 07:00 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

May 1 - 03:53 PM

Andrew Rossi

Andrew Rossi

little bit of a different list, which is good. love to see The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo on there. i wouldnt put it as one of my favorites but it was a very very good recent film.

May 1 - 03:55 PM

David L.

David Long

I love how natural this interview was.

May 1 - 04:51 PM