• PG-13, 1 hr. 43 min.
    In Theaters:
    Sep 21, 2012 Limited
    On DVD:
    Feb 12, 2013
  • Lionsgate Films

Critic Review - TIME Magazine

It's all frightfully familiar - as if teens sitting around the campfire need to be told the same story every night - until the last 15 mins., when this Cocoa Puffs movie reveals an underlayer of arsenic.

September 13, 2012 Full Review Source: TIME Magazine | Comments (14)
TIME Magazine
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Anonymous I.

Anonymous Incognito

It's a shame really. Having read the source material, this movie really disappointed me. If the author of the actual book can't turn it into a compelling cinematic narrative, then who can?

This is truly the first major disappointment of the 2012 fall movie season, along with "Cloud Atlas"? And yes, I saw both at TIFF.

Well, back to re-watching "The Master" for the hundredth time.

Sep 13 - 12:12 PM

Geoffrey K.

Geoffrey Kemp

So sad.
Wallflower was my most anticipated fall movie.
What can you recommend from TIFF?

Sep 13 - 12:53 PM

Anonymous I.

Anonymous Incognito

It might still turn out to be a critical hit, but I was really let down by it. And I fell in love with the book. What's most depressing is this dilemma, though. If the author can't turn the book into a satisfying cinematic adaptation, then who can?

I would highly recommend "The Master", "Argo", "Looper", "The Place Beyond the Pines", "Dredd 3D", "Seven Psychopaths", "Passion", "The Impossible", "To the Wonder", and "Silver Linings Playbook". Other disappointments at the festival this year included "Anna Karenina", "Cloud Atlas", "Hotel Transylvania", and "Hyde Park on Hudson".

Definitely check those out, too. Now that "Wallflower" is out of the way, my most-anticipated film of the year is "Lincoln", followed by "The Hobbit".

Have you read the "Harry Potter" books, Geoffrey, and if so, are you looking forward to J.K. Rowling's new book? Thought I'd ask, since Emma Watson is in this movie.

Sep 13 - 01:44 PM

Geoffrey K.

Geoffrey Kemp

Yeah I read them all, but I had no idea Rowling made a new book.
I would've killed to go to TIFF this year, by the way, given all these movies they showed.

Sep 16 - 09:37 AM

Geoffrey K.

Geoffrey Kemp

Yeah I read them all, but I had no idea Rowling made a new book.

Sep 16 - 09:37 AM

Jason Lalljee

Jason Lalljee

I was really looking forward to 'Perks'. I loved the source material(one of my favorite novels as a teen), and the cast, Emma Watson, Logan Lerman (he looked better in the trailer than in his more recent roles), and Ezra Miller. I even love that this is from the same producer at 'Juno'. I hope the reviews go up. And you didn't like Cloud Atlas? IT looks a bit pretentious and that it's swallowing more than it can chew, but I'm still pretty excited for it. Although I'm happy about The Master. That I'm definitely seeing.

Sep 13 - 05:19 PM

Anonymous I.

Anonymous Incognito

"The Master" is my favorite movie of the year. I have nothing against pretentious movies, and I thought that "Cloud Atlas" might end up being a great mainstream version of "The Tree of Life" or "Beasts of the Southern Wild". Instead, it just felt overlong and forced.

In other words, go to see "The Master". Perfect movie. I was just shocked by how little I enjoyed "Perks". And I love the book.

Sep 14 - 11:42 AM

Brian Gordon

Brian Gordon

Although the reception is negative but this movie is the best movie of resident evil series.

Sep 16 - 02:03 PM

Ryan Hibbett

Ryan Hibbett

That's the problem: the author turned the book into a movie. An author who has never had film experience before. If he had more experience under his belt than this probably would have had a different outcome. As is, it feels amateurish because this is his first go at it. He didn't know what to cut out, what to keep in, and didn't know how to give it an original feel.

Sep 19 - 06:19 PM

Anonymous I.

Anonymous Incognito

Chbosky has directed a few short films before. The film isn't awful so much as it is a disappointment, especially compared to the brilliant source material.

Sep 20 - 12:53 PM

Tyler Kippert

Tyler Kippert

Just because a few critics don't like the movie doesn't mean you won't like it. Don't let other people decide whether or not you'll like a movie.

Sep 15 - 11:42 AM

Anonymous I.

Anonymous Incognito

I don't. I saw the film at its premiere at TIFF, and I genuinely felt let down by it, especially given that Chbosky penned and directed the film himself.

Sep 15 - 04:16 PM

Philip Mehan

Philip Mehan

What the hell do you think this is website for, Tyler? Circlejerks?

Sep 19 - 09:12 PM

Greg Kelmeckis

Greg Kelmeckis

What....can u make a coherent sentence? LOL at circlejerks.....a lame phrase for a lame person who can not even put an insult into a sentence.

Sep 28 - 10:28 AM

Callum  Y.

Callum York

As some one who read the book shortly before seeing the movie, I was expecting to be let down and to find myself constantly comparing it to the source material. However, to be honest, I loved the movie, it had all of the heart and meaning the book had, the actors were all great and at no point did I feel like there were any wrong casting choices. The tone of the movie as a whole, just really captures the essence of the book; to be young, to discover the importance of friendship and going through all of the lows of being alone and sad. I think the author did a great job of translating it to the big screen, it respected the novel, it omitted parts of the book rather than changed them. Overall, I understand that the film isn't perfect, it has its flaws, but i think the cast, the writing, the soundtrack and the emotions you feel when you watch this movie make up for it all. Don't get put down by the 15 or so negative reviews, it really is good :D

Oct 4 - 12:50 PM