• PG-13, 1 hr. 43 min.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Reviews

Brett C.
September 17, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

When this film hit theatres in 2012, many of its younger audience rejoiced it as one of the greatest films to have come out from that year. I did not see this initially until a year later, and by that time the hype that surrounds it have been buried, therefore allowing me to see this with a more objective perspective. I remembered after my initial viewing being impressed by the film's direction and acting performances. Another year has passed and has my experienced changed for the better? Definitely not but it still remains as an above average entry in its respective genres.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is not an easy film to watch, it may have its moments of warmness but for the most part, it had me in a state of melancholy. The film strips away the glorifying attributes of a high school film, and replaces it with authentic angst and trauma. Stephen Chbosky, who directed and wrote the screenplay and novel, does not deliver a film that can be generalised to the masses, the emotions may feel similar but the situations and events that the film's characters go through are highly specific and detailed. This is what makes this film stand out, is that it delivers the audience something unique but without having to try so hard in achieving it. I tend to forget that this is a high school film, as only certain sections of this film deal with the basic and cliché ideas of high school; I usually see this film as a dark character study as Chbosky's script is more concerned with the protagonist's, Charlie, life and emotions. The film rarely moves away from the character, which I felt was a great choice, as it isn't necessary anymore for high school films to tread over the same water and explaining the mechanics of its setting and the personalities of its characters. The film's climax delivers in such a way that is dire but memorable, pushing away the expectations of its genre and potentially shocks its audience, then leading to a conclusion that was appropriate and hopeful.

The film runs for about an hour and 42 minutes, which felt stretched out at times. A part of me felt that, Chbosky has strong attachments with his creations, which led the film to becoming a little indulgent. The film's point would have still been effective if it ran 10-20 minutes shorter, but in doing this it might displease the die-hard fans of the source material. I also was a bit bored with the "romantic" or dating aspects of this film, lacking the emotional impact of Charlie's deep personal struggles. The scenes seem to be present in order to keep the narrow minded and shallow audiences engaged.

As this was Stephen Chbosky's sophomore directing feature, the film has this simplistic approach in its photography. There were only two or three scenes present in this film that truly felt cinematic, and one of them includes the tunnel scene. Though in applying this approach, it does prevent the film from coming off as too Hollywood-y, which gives this film that indie charm that would catch the attention of a Sundance enthusiast. The film's musical score was surprisingly effective here. Not during a point in the film, did it feel cliché or overpowering. The film spaces the score out by filling in some of its scenes with tracks from artists like David Bowie, Sonic Youth and The Smiths. These musical cues shaped the 90s setting and at times, amplifying the personalities of its characters.

The performances in this film were certainly note-worthy particularly the film's central star, Logan Lerman. He captured that socially awkward with a dark past effortlessly. Sadly it has been two years since the release of this film, and he has yet to be in a film that showcases his talent other than this. 3:10 to Yuma firstly made me take notice of the actor; Perks of Being a Wallflower solidified him as top quality young actor; why is he currently not being offered great roles? Emma Watson, who plays Charlie's romantic interest, was also great, but she has already proven herself worthy with the Harry Potter series. It is common for actors and actresses to be locked into the type of roles they were successful in, but Watson was determined to escape from the trap and take risks. Her role here certainly takes her career to a whole new direction, displaying a side of her that is much darker than her previous roles. Ezra Miller in this film was, again, great. He was able to showcase polarising moods and personalities of his character throughout the film. His character goes through quite a lot in this and I was able to feel the sense of development in his character as the story progresses. Miller pops whenever his character has something to say, but it never crosses the line of being egotistic or one-sided, we are still reminded that this is still Charlie's story.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower failed to sweep me off my feet like it did for the bulk of its younger audiences at the time of its release. It contains more positive elements than it does with negative, but its problems are clearly on display and sometimes it isn't easy to just tune it out. It is hard to say whether or not this film would remain appealing in the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
September 26, 2012
Okay, so this one paid off in a big, bad way, far beyond the light teen angst that the ad campaigns hinted at, and I feel bad for not supporting it in theaters, quite frankly, because I completely fell in love with this one upon the first viewing, and that;s only grown with repeat watches.

A really sweet and charming tale of a loner boy coming of age while taken under the wing of a pair of older teens who let him into their little circle of outcasts.

It's really great stuff, and comes highly recommended.
October 4, 2012
So seemingly real-to-life, this movie really does show all the highs and lows of the emotional incubator called high school. Beautiful movie to watch
October 23, 2012
With affecting performances from Lerman, Watson, and Miller, and an insightful script that refuses to talk down to its audience, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is a classic of teen cinema.
May 31, 2014
Sometimes you find yourself thinking of things like friends, school and love, other times, just about your life, and the things that you go/got through... This movie makes you think of all of those...
A beautiful movie... One of the best of the genre i've seen...
September 8, 2014
Why does everything have to be heartbreaking for me to appreciate the beauty in it? And why do I add this whole other non-existent level of heartbreaking to things that are beautiful that puts me in a dark little box? I'm pretty sure I loved this and that it's what I've been needing for a while. But part of me hates the frame of mind it put me in, even though I seem to be addicted to that state.
September 7, 2014
Touching movie, even after having read the book, the performances bring it to life to make up for the missing details.
September 2, 2014
A film that's interesting, and must be applauded for prying away from turning into another high school drama flick. The Perks of Being a Wallflower follows high school student Charlie (Logan Lerman), struggling with a new school and ostracism from his classmates. Finding a new group of friends, the Wallflowers, Charlie flourishes into a social life filled with drama and romance. I really disliked at one point, and would have definitely given no more than a two and a half star rating, but I pulled through, and the final 30 minutes of this film are absolutely spectacular. A series of dramatic and climactic events turn the film from dull and predictable to intense and extremely engaging. It really starts to pull on the heartstrings by the end, and ends up being really enjoyable and dramatic, so hats off to it for that. Rounding off, TPOBAW may not be the best all round movie, but finishes it off in such an intense and dramatic fashion, that you can't help but be engaged.
Jacob M.
September 1, 2014
There's a very specific, vital ingredient for films like this, and that's "honesty" and Perks is dowsed in it.
June 20, 2014
Nicely-spirited by the really good performances of the "Wallflowers" with a nice heart underneath the film's surface even though there were typical, teenage difficulties, it's one of the best coming-of-age films I've seen behind "The Way Way Back." (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
August 23, 2014
Better than expected.
December 28, 2012
Good movie, Good book. I think overall it did well in representing the book and the actors did a amazing job!
February 12, 2014
sweet sih.. tp ya, bukan favorit gw ;)
February 17, 2013
Few perks if any for the viewer. Just an overdone and uninteresting movie for teenagers. (First and only full viewing - 8/28/2013)
August 21, 2014
Great movie! It was different and the actors played there characters perfectly! Life lessons you can learn from this movie. "We accept the love we think we deserve"
August 20, 2014
While I never had the chance to read the novel that the movie is based on, the movie is a very dramatic look at the adult world as seen through the eyes of a group of teenage friends. Though it is rated PG-13 due to its content, the subject matter may be a little too intense for sensitive viewers. However, the cast has done a great job shining a light on some very mature subject matter! I recommend this movie only after reading the book first!!!!!
October 11, 2013
A well made high school film with some amazing performances from its cast.
August 17, 2014
The movie is wonderful. However, having already read the book, I have to say it flows like a trailer for the down-to-earth roller coaster ride presented in the book. But I guess that's a truism for all motion-picture adaptations of books.
June 1, 2012
I really love this movie... the acting, the screenplay, the plot are great! Stephen did a great directing job in adapting his own novel.