The Pervert's Guide To Ideology - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pervert's Guide To Ideology Reviews

½ December 2, 2013
Zizek's many ideas are really fascinating and always fun to watch, but once again he has trouble organizing all of them in a cohesive argument, even if now the result is less rambling than the first film due to the narrowed down focus of what he wants to say.
Harlequin68
½ November 10, 2013
Even if political philosopher extroardinaire Slavoj Zizek stopped with inserting himself into movies and lighting a blowtorch to "Titanic"(3 1/2 hours of my life I am never getting back while "A Night to Remember" has a great scene of steerage passengers running through the ship for their lives before being stopped in their tracks by the grandeur of first class) and venerating "Seconds"(1966), I would probably still give a recommendation to "The Pervert's Guide to Ideology." Thankfully, he has bigger fish to fry(more on them later), as along with showing more of an interest in musicals this time around, he also examines propaganda in movies and its danger to the real world.

It is not just from the usual suspects like the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany that he draws from but less likier places such as "They Live" starring Roddy Piper. While this is one example of a film that subverts the status quo, there are also others that support it such as "The Dark Knight" which argues that a government should lie to its people for their own good which can turn out very badly for all concerned like during the second Iraq War. Then, there are also examples that have been employed by both right and left, like Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy'(I usually associte this with Alex not being considered a complete waste in "A Clockwork Orange") and the shark in "Jaws." In this later case, I have always thought the shark was just minding its own business while most of the analogies that I am familiar with concern the human authorities' response.
August 16, 2014
This movie is way too dense and difficult to understand to get it all in one viewing, but I will gladly watch it again.
February 10, 2016
Excellent lecture, chopped down to digestible chunks thanks to crafty editing and use of film footage. Fiennes does a great job of adding deadpan humor that seems to fit Zizek's journeys into ideology perfectly.
½ January 14, 2016
Easier to understand the second time around.
November 28, 2015
¡Excelente! Una película profunda pero al mismo tiempo muy llevadera, para pensar sobre el mundo en el que vivimos.
November 11, 2015
While watching this, I was saying too myself "This is fascinating!" But when it was over it was more "Hold on a second, I don't think I learned anything." Zizek reminds me of Foucault, always teetering on the border between profundity and nonsense. His passionate slobbering is totally engrossing. And the comic relief of the sets keeps it from getting too heavy.
April 26, 2015
Started a big argument at our house.
February 23, 2015
A cerebral and trippy essay on the philosophical worth of cinema, and if it falls a bit short of Sophie Fiennes and Slavoj Zizek last documentery it's only because it's not as fresh.
November 22, 2014
It is what it is. Either you like Zizek and his brand of philosophy or you don't. Or...you find his voice grating, which is completely understandable. I find him at least very interesting and I like the connections between popular culture and ideology, being somewhat of a Gramsci-fan myself. He looks at how films reinforce and sometimes undermine the dominant ideology of the Western world, which he identifies as capitalism. In Zizek's mind (I'm ascertaining), capitalism is the "ideology supreme" of our social, political, legal and cultural order. It defines our relationship to everything and everything is subservient: be it mundane social interactions, our conception of God and how we politically organize ourselves. He even looks at how films created in the Stalin-era Soviet Union reinforce worshiping Stalin and draws somewhat of a parallel.

Thought provoking, interesting and a good conversation starter. If you like documentaries, political science and philosophy, I'd recommend it.
½ September 15, 2014
Slavoj Zizek de forma magnífica nos lleva más allá de la comprensión de algunas de las películas más grandiosas de todos los tiempos y nos ayuda a entender la percepción psicológica freudiana en dichas historias que sorprenden hasta la fecha y aún más si nos lleva a recorrer el pensamiento y poder del séptimo arte.
July 25, 2014
Very, very interesting!!.. Will make you at least review concepts, or interpretation of a bunch of information we consume.... Smartly done...
½ June 14, 2014
Regardless of whether you agree with the philosophy, this is pretty entertaining.
½ June 1, 2014
Slavoj zizek latest film takes the audience down the path of a Marxist critique of the ideological underpinnings of popular film through his unique style of aggressive free association. Zizek has some humorous surprises, where he literally tries to become a part of the films he is critiquing, but the film feels like an extended lecture. This appeals to anyone interested in film, and philosophy, but it may overwhelm the casual viewer, which might just be the point. I found his critiques very insightful and often very provocative , but the film doesn't have a structure that will engage everyone.
May 24, 2014
Loved it. One of the best docs of it's kind. The ideas come alive cinematically.
May 21, 2014
Fascinating-much of what Slavoj says and discusses I have indeed, felt too! Now, his speech-heavy dialect left me confussed, I switched on captions, which, oddly were way ahead at times and left me confused. There you go. Anyway, his insights were great, and loved how he placed himself in staged surroundings to complement the film he utilizes for his points. Check it out!
½ May 4, 2014
An almost laugh-along-philosophy guide in which Slavoj Zizek fantastically-orates his aspect of ideology while the rest of the film is finely polished by Sophie Fiennes.
April 30, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this lecture on how movies present the world to us, I didn't understand all of it as I found the Slavojs language to be unnecessarily complicated, he's obviously used to addressing university level audiences, and insists on calling a spade a shovel, loosing many of us mere mortals along the way. His use of many of my favourite movies to illustrate and expand on his theory's made it much more enjoyable than it would have been as a flat lecture, some ideas were illuminating and thought provoking while others got lost in his use of language which was simply too intellectual . I understand these are his ideas, which is I'm sure why he was given the job of presenter, but found his style of presenting difficult to watch, English is clearly not his first language and he has a heavy accent which technically makes him hard to follow, he also has nervous habits that again make viewing this than a pleasure, and it's a long film ( lecture) so perhaps his ideas would have been better presented by someone trained to act ? In simpler language more accessible to the prolateriate he would ,it seems, like to influence. I did however find it fascinating . Only for those with enquiring minds who love movies .
February 19, 2014
Um filósofo explica como a ideologia se esconde por trás das cenas do cinema. Os exemplos são super bem escolhidos, mas a narração deixa com sono. É bacana a reconstrução das cenas dos filmes com o filósofo lá dentro.