The Petrified Forest (1936)
Average Rating: 7.6/10
Reviews Counted: 9
Fresh: 9 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Feb 8, 1936 Wide
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 4,743
Burned-out British intellectual Alan Squier (Leslie Howard) wanders into the desert service station/restaurant owned by Jason Maple (Porter Hall). Alan finds himself an object of fascination for Jason's starry-eyed daughter, Gabrielle Bette Davis, who dreams of moving to France and establishing herself. Boze Hertzlinger (Dick Foran), Gabrielle's gas-jockey boyfriend, grows jealous of Alan, but the penniless, dissipated Briton has no intention of settling down; in fact, as soon as he mooches a
Feb 8, 1936 Wide
Jan 25, 2005
WARNER BROTHERS PICTURES
Joseph the Chauffeur
Commander of Black H...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The screen version is still a play, but it's aturning point in the movie career of Humphrey Bogart, who had played the gangster's role on stage and then in a TV version with his wife (in Bette davis role)
Bogie's breakout film still impresses.
Stagebound and very literary, but still good,
Audience Reviews for The Petrified Forest
- Alan Squier: Oh Lord, now it's going to be all over.
- Gabrielle Maple: Paris! That must be the most marvelous place in the world for love, isn't it Alan?
- Alan Squier: All places are marvelous, Gabrielle.
- Gabrielle Maple: Even here?
- Alan Squier: Especially here, my darling. As long as I live I'll be grateful to the Duke.
- Gabrielle Maple: Alan? Alan, will you please kiss me?
- Alan Squier: Well let me tell you something: you're a forgetful old fool. Any woman's worth everything that any man has to give. Anguish, ecstasy, faith, jealousy, love, hatred, life or death - don't you see that's the whole excuse for our existence. It's what makes the whole thing possible and tolerable. When you get to my age you'll learn better sense.
- Slim: Hi, fellow brother!
- Joseph the Chauffeur: Good Evening!
- Duke Mantee: Here's happy days.
- Gramp Maple: Yes sir. Certainly does feel great to have a real killer around here again!
- Alan Squier: Yes, it's pleasant to be back again - amongst the living.
- Gabrielle Maple: Wouldn't you like someone to be in love with you?
- Alan Squier: Yes Gabrielle, I...I would like someone in love with me.
- Gabrielle Maple: Do you think I'm attractive?
- Alan Squier: There are better words than that for what you are.
Discuss The Petrified Forest on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- The Petrified Forest (1936) (DE)
- The Petrified Forest (1936) (UK)