—— Hercules Jul 25

The Presence Reviews

Sean G

September 1, 2011
Rented this for $1.

No dialog for the first 20 minutes. Not scary. Confusing ending. Leaves a lot of unsolved questions and too much is left up to the viewer to decide who was what and what exactly happened.
shitfaced8
shitfaced8

October 8, 2011
This movie gets some points for a unique concept and some pretty nice cinematography, but in the end the actors just don't have the chops and the end result is just really boring. Has it's moments I guess towards the end, but also gets pretty dumb around the same time. Can't say I'd waste my time with this one ever again.
Sarah P

October 22, 2011
I got about an hour into the movie. Nothing had really happened up to that point, so I figured I would cut my losses. You can skip this one!
June 15, 2013
Strangely the spiritual sister to "Beyond" that I just watched. Another gorgeous looking thriller... That's slow, dull, and uninteresting. But unlike "Beyond" an interesting storyline does pop up exactly halfway through when a malicious ghost shows up to challenge the existing Presence. Unfortunately, the storyline is still played awfully tedious.

I read some of these other user reviews and I am at a loss how they didn't understand the ending. It is more than on the nose.

Spoiler Alert: The dark spirit is a guardian spirit who helps The Presence move on and tears the malicious spirit apart. The spirit on the boat is the boatman's spirit that brought him to the island. I see him as a good spirit, you may take a pessimistic view that it is another malicious spirit that will do harm to the two humans. But the whole taking Shane West into Heaven thing was so uninspired...
August 10, 2012
Ironically, the most distinctive thing about this movie is the utter absence of dialogue for its first 25 minutes. After that, it's a tedious, formulaic good ghost/bad ghost movie that meanders about and is ultimately resolved in such a predictable yet arbitrary manner that is bound to annoy, even anger, most viewers with its cliched attempt at poetic poignancy using a character introduced ONLY for this scene, after which we get a bunch of lame flashback attempts to demonstrate that he was really there all along. Bad storytelling, a lack of frights and tension, and moments of stunted acting are offset slightly by some very nice cinematography. Absent yourself from watching this unless you're the most hardcore of Mira Sorvino fans.
GabrielKnight
July 14, 2012
The first half an hour of this movie is great, slowly establishing haunting mood and building high expectations. Unfortunately as the action picks up, it all goes downhill fast: bad acting, wimpy characters, and the story that feels incomplete and boring.
January 14, 2012
No dialogue for the first 20 minutes. No one in this movie has a name - except for the boat guy. Shane West says 3 words the entire movie - and they're all the way at the end. While it was an interesting story and the director proved that you didn't need a ton of dialogue to get a point across, some points were just lost. The movie was very slow paced and hardly any questions were answered.
Brody M

October 11, 2011
I was into this movie waiting & waiting for the 1st spirit to do something or something to happen but when the 2nd spirit or demon showed up, I lost interest & the movie just went downhill from there.I also HATED the ending
Rusty S.
July 21, 2014
It is a great movie but you need to wait for the very end to appreciate it. This is probably the most religious movie I have ever seen that is not labeled as a religious movie. After watch it you will want to watch it again to put all the pieces together.
July 4, 2014
This movie is absolutely awful.
June 25, 2014
Categorizing this movie as "horror" is, at best, a stretch. Sure, there's a few ghosts, but that doesn't make it scary. Part of this movie's problem is that it has been misrepresented. When people see "horror", and read "The Presence", they're expecting your typical scary ghost flick- and are inevitably disappointed.
The Presence is really more of a psychological drama. It focuses less on the fear and more on the mental strain that is put on the woman, and later her boyfriend, by The Man in Black.
If you're looking for a ghost movie that's driven more by the storyline then it is by "what's-gonna-jump-out-of-the-shadows-next", you'll probably enjoy this.
April 19, 2014
OMG...worst 98 minutes of my life....
February 16, 2014
Unexpected, and very moving. Very nice, simple and understated, beautifully shot, It had many layers, how we deal with our own demons, and how in truth, we are not alone. I had never heard of this movie, but it deserves a lot more attention, I recommend the watch, Do not expect a horror show, although it does have some spooky moments, Let the mood sink in, and let the story tell itself. ?
December 16, 2012
This movie was gripping in its originality and beautifully shot. Not a spam in a cabin horror film, it is incredibly rewarding. Highly recommend!
January 7, 2014
worst movie ever !!!!
Dave J
November 29, 2013
Friday, November 29, 2013

(2010) The Presence
SUPERNATURAL DRAMA

Watching this film is like a short story expanded into a long subtle ghost story movie where nothing really happens throughout until the final act. Where the makers are asking us to observe and hold out until near the end is when things really start to happen. Co-produced, written and directed by Tom Provost starring Mira Sorvino as a woman walking into an isolated cabin on a island. And there appears to be a man inside of this cabin that she can't see who happens to be a ghost who is "The Presence" hence the title, he's played by Shane West. As this ghost stands around doing nothing exciting enough to scare her or anyone for that matter, except automatically turning on a record player or dislocating some books, we have come to the conclusion that the ghost is only a neutral ghost. Viewers get to know more information regarding the history of the cabin, as well as another ghost who happens to be up to no good, and doesn't conveniently appear until her boyfriend shows up. All I can say is that to say anymore is pointless, since their isn't really a plot to speak about except to say that the film is not even scary at all. It is however an "unique" one in the sense that in real life when things seem to move out of place, we can sometimes safely assume that it's the result of the ghost that moved those things in the same way people can believe in miracles. That if theirs a good ghost that there also must also be an evil one too, or an undivided one.

2.5 out of 4 stars
November 13, 2013
Nice cinematic but painstakingly boring
November 5, 2013
NOT like the movie trailer. If you like thoughtful and slow-paced movies, this is for you. It's definitely worth seeing--all of the actors, especially Tony Curran, are stellar. The first 20 minutes has no dialogue, nor is any needed. The rest is a surprise and will keep you guessing.
March 22, 2013
Silly, confused, and unexciting. I feel sorry for the nice ghost who had to watch the paint dry. Felt like three hours.