The Pretty One Reviews

½ December 12, 2014
Really liking Zoe Kazan as an actress. She plays her own twin through the first part of this.
Hard movie to describe, but I really did like this one.
June 16, 2014
Zoe Kazan is a very whimsical, sweet looking little creature, and she carries a lot of this movie on her back. Playing identical twins Audrey and Laurel, she navigates death, heartbreak, and feelings of inadequacy and loss with aplomb. The problem with this film is that Laurel is a weird character, and not the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" weirdness of a quirky character, but the delusion of someone who has mental issues. Laurel takes over her sister's life after she dies, and then acts strange around all her sister's friends and acquaintances, and basically everyone she meets. She's mousy, lonely, and often says odd things to her tenant, played by Jake Johnson. Their relationship is probably where most of the charm is supposed to originate in the script, but they both come off as delusional, somewhat out of touch people. If this film wasn't so bogged down in Laurel, and let Audrey's life shine through a little more, there would have been a bigger, broader message than the one we get from this film.
January 28, 2014
I thought the premise of this film was great and was anxious to watch it after I saw the trailer. After watching it, I can concede that Kazan and Johnson have great chemistry but that's not enough to save this weirdly plotted comedy. By the end it feels clichéd and silly.
c0up
April 25, 2013
'The Pretty One'. An interesting emotional premise, a good Zoe Kazan. The dark humour alleviated well enough, but for such an emotionally rich story, no way near enough was mined.
Harlequin68
February 10, 2014
"They told her to get a life. They didn't say whose." - tagline for Supergirl comic book in the 90's.

In "The Pretty One," Laurel(Zoe Kazan) begins her birthday by losing her virginity to Hunter(Sterling Beaumon) who she used to babysit for. Otherwise, it is business as usual as she takes care of her widowed painter father(John Carroll Lynch) before her twin sister Ashley(Zoe Kazan) shows up for the celebration. Disapproving of her sister's lack of a life, Ashley invites Laurel back with her to the big city. And all goes as planned until tragedy strikes and a sister is killed in a car accident. With everybody thinking it is Laurel who has died when instead it is Ashley, Laurel sees her chance and takes over her sister's identity and moves to the city...

While "The Pretty One" has some surprises in store for Laurel as to the truth of Ashley's life, the movie also has some good thoughts along the same line of how you cannot truly know somebody until you have walked a mile in their high heels.(Just ask quantum physicist Sam Beckett if you do not believe me.) Otherwise, the movie can be just as awkward as its heroine in expressing those ideas. So, it is a good thing that Zoe Kazan is excellent in dual roles, even if she is a little outside of her comfort zone. Plus, the movie also has Jake Johnson's easy going charm going for it.
July 31, 2013
Although it feels a little predictable at times, The Pretty One is actually a great romantic comedy and another showcase of Zoe Kazan's fantastic acting. Kazan plays both Audrey and Laurel, identical twin sisters who otherwise have little in common. Audrey is (wait for it) the pretty one. She's confident and a little shallow, while Laurel is kind-hearted and quirky but also awkward and shy. Laurel is the protagonist, and after a tragic accident she assumes the role of her more popular sister Audrey by pretending to be her. It's not exactly a freaky Friday situation (it's a bit darker than that) but it stems from a similar idea. Jake Johnson of The New Girl fame also co-stars as Basel, who is Audrey's neighbor and Laurel's love interest. If the plot sounds a little typical of an indie comedy, that's because it is typical to a degree. The only two characters with much depth are Laurel and Basel, and they fit quite neatly into indie movie stereotypes. What the movie has going for it though is a great sense of humor and good performances from Zoe Kazan and Jake Johnson. The movie's surprisingly dark premise could have been depressing and heavy, but instead it actually has a funny and enjoyable feel to it thanks to a script that manages to be funny without trying too hard to get laughs. For the most part it's not funny in a laugh-so-hard-you-cry way, but rather just consistently amusing and chuckle worthy. I had only seen Kazan in Ruby Sparks prior to watching this movie, but just based on these two movies I can tell she's an amazingly talented actress who is destined to be either a wildly successful writer (she wrote and starred in Ruby Sparks) or a wildly successful actress. Either way she's destined for great things. The Pretty One isn't the kind of movie that screams originality, but it's overflowing with warmth and subtle humor, so much so that its familiarity can be forgiven. Come for the Zoe Kazan, stay for the indie charm (and the Zoe Kazan).
½ July 13, 2014
Kazan and Johnson's collective adorableness is the only reason to watch this movie. The story is rather ridiculous, but the quirky romance is enough to make it worth a watch.
June 8, 2014
Although there are moments where it borders on inconceivability, at its core The Pretty One is a sweet tale about discovering who you are. The chemistry between Kazan and Johnson (and Kazan and herself, for that matter) really brings the film together. While I do wonder at just how realistic the idea of a twin literally taking over her dead other-half's life is, the reactions of people in the (mostly unsurprising) end do all feel genuine given their characters and relationships with both sisters. Still, the best scenes are the ones where it's just Kazan-as-Laurel, having to deal with the fact that her perfect other half is gone forever, showing just how much hurt and anger there is in that lost twin's body. it's those moments that really anchor the film and make it worth watching all the way to end.
January 5, 2015
Okay, so I don't know how they do the one actress playing two people in the same scene. It was seamless. Compared to other reviewers, I didn't find anything cliché. (I guess I missed all those other movies.) The cast seemed just perfect for the story. Kazan is fun to watch. Jake Johnson helped anchor the plot by being the off-beat love/hate interest (okay that is cliché, but he did it well). And the way the movie handled Laurel's horrendous choice seems the opposite of whimsy, so I don't agree with those who portray the movie as shallow and trite. The actors, script and direction make it well worth seeing. I'll watch it again.
December 30, 2014
Strong performances highlight this strange little movie that deals with how people perceive themselves and the others around them. The script is pretty good but the direction is soft. It's not bad...but it's not great.
February 6, 2014
For romantic-comedy standards, this one is pretty good. Usually it gets weak when they have to split up, but this one is very reasonable about it.
September 26, 2014
movie was good, although i will say, what a creepy way of finding yourself...lol
½ September 8, 2014
A strange tale of one sister stealing the other's identity to see the world she never knew existed. Kazan and Johnson are solid and while the movie is beautifully shot, it is the tone that suffers a bi
½ August 16, 2014
Zoe Kazan (Ruby Sparks) plays identical twin sisters Laurel and Audrey who are as unlike as two people can be. Laurel is a meek homebody who has decided to remain in her small hometown to look after their widower father (John Carroll Lynch - Shutter Island) and Audrey is the sister who left the small town world behind her and found a comfortable job selling real estate in the city living it up with a few different boyfriends and a group of catty, materialistic friends. When the opportunity arises for Laurel to take the place of Audrey, she jumps at it and discovers what others have believed and felt toward the sisters all along while also finding herself in the process. It is a quirky and at-times dark coming of age tale that is promising but not wholly successful as it too easily falls into predictable rom-com traps once Laurel meets Audrey's nice neighbor played by Jake Johnson ('New Girl'). Kazan is cute and charming in her role(s) and she pulls her trick off with a nice balance; but the film wants to be poignant and it falls short.
½ August 8, 2014
bati..bati nawng ang lalaki..bati ang plot..if only i can give it 0 stars..
½ July 26, 2014
Did not think I would like this movie, downloaded it for me teen daughter. Enjoyed it very much. Quirky.
July 10, 2014
Story of a selfish self absorbed girl who's twin dies and she's only concerned about herself and how no one liked her, mourning her sister's death not a whit.
½ June 27, 2014
Super clever and great work by Zoe Kazan and Jake Johnson who are quickly becoming some of my favourite actors.
January 28, 2014