The premise is ridiculous

Why would the government even allow this? If I were to see this movie, it would have to do some pretty good explaining for me to get past it's premise. Does anyone know anything about this movie that would explain this?
Cole Jaeger
04-7-2013 10:56 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

jevi s.

jevi step

Fuckkk you guys gotta check this remix of the purge out...so much bass..play this song for 12hours during the purge and you'll destroy everything with this bass!

https://soundcloud.com/lycusbootlegs/ryos-petiesmallzz-the-purge-lycus-festival-trap-remix

Sep 4 - 12:31 AM

James Buchanan

James Buchanan

Terry key word in your argument, ancient

Nov 14 - 05:03 PM

James Buchanan

James Buchanan

It was a good movie but hell no the purge would be a bad idea hahaha

Nov 14 - 06:54 AM

Benjamin P.

Brian Eno

This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. This movie was offensively bad.

Oct 21 - 01:46 PM

Terry Bursey

Terry Bursey

Spartans* not Romans.

Sep 21 - 04:10 PM

Terry Bursey

Terry Bursey

Well for one it is plausible because it already happened, the ancient romans had their own version of the Purge called Krypteia. That is most likely the inspiration for the movie and since most aspect of US government is based on Rome and Greece it is actually possible, even with the psychology supporting it, also, I don't get why people comnplain about movies being "unrealistic". We don't watch movies or read books for realism, otherwise we would just live our real lives, we want fantasy. Was Avatar plausible? The Matrix? No, and we loved it FOR that reason, people who are annoyed by lack of realism in movies miss the point of movies entirely and I'm surprized that they even watch them to begin with.

Sep 21 - 03:56 PM

Sleepy Sheep

Sleepy Sheep

I really liked the idea for the movie, I think so much could have been done with it which is what drew me to watch it. But yeah, it was a little predictable and somewhat annoying that it turned out to be a slasher. If you have this kind of premise for a movie that is so different, why turn it into a slasher that is just like any other slasher film? Also, if the neighbors are so filthy rich, why do they care if their money goes to a top class security system that helps save their lives? If it bothered them that much, get a security system from someone else. The motive to kill their target is almost non existant. Yup, definitely worth the skip on watching this one.

If I were that rich, I would pack my bags and have a lovely weekend vacation outside of the country.

Jul 12 - 09:34 PM

Michael Butler

Michael Butler

*Class

Jun 23 - 11:38 AM

Michael Butler

Michael Butler

As somebody who loves science fiction and studies media tediously, I can say this: While the concept is buzz-worthy, it has many gaping holes in it, and even if I can extremely suspend my own belief to take them in, I cannot stand the weak execution that makes me as a viewer wonder why I even sat through something that patronizes me as a member of its audience. More to the point, a couple of gems from the "New Founder" web site...

SECTION 3:

The following weapons cannot be used during The Purge: weapons of mass destruction, fragment-producing explosives higher than a hazard class HC/D 1.4 and viral contagion projectiles.

SECTION 4:

Government officials of ranking 5 and higher have been granted immunity from The Purge and shall not be harmed.

SECTION 5:

Non-compliance with any of the aforementioned rules will result in death by hanging.

The government in control is flawed because it uses regressive means of capital punishment that by 2022, should be footnotes in a history textbook, and by even 2013, are unspoken of. In addition, what would separate the use of a biological weapon from being an otherwise acceptable crime during something like a a "Purge?" This movie is the equivalent of a kid getting up in close with a huge blanket statement of an intro, and ultimately making people want to gouge their eyes out after he ends up mindlessly sputtering out streams of consciousness... And THEN making people want to pay for his BS. This movie is terrible. Go spend 10 dollars on something else. :(

Jun 23 - 11:37 AM

Carol Kemper

Carol Kemper

It was far-fetched but I think the idea is that the purge is a government sanctioned way to get rid of poor people. Basically, rich people are safe behind gates and metal shutters.But the twist is that really no one is safe with that type of mind set.

Jun 15 - 05:28 PM

Mo D.

Mo Da

I get murder, mystery & suspense? But how is this Science Fiction?

Jun 13 - 08:08 AM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

Because the film is set in a dystopian society; a linear element in many science fiction films.

Jun 24 - 12:47 PM

Roberto Cortez

Roberto Cortez

The premise is base off a Star Trek episode Called "The Return of the Archons"

Jun 11 - 01:02 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

it was stupid movie anyways

Jun 10 - 08:21 PM

Poody Brain

Poody Brain

Oh hey well whaddya know? Chase Nyland and Alex Maverick having a tomato baby again! Do you guys play ass pirates in real life? Oh and a side note, the insight into multiple films both of you have offered throughout forums is so very worthwhile.

Jun 10 - 08:11 PM

Chase The Lost

Thanks for reading.

Jun 10 - 09:10 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I'm kinda hungover at the moment so forgive me if this comes out wrong: Fuk you, ashole.

Jun 11 - 12:36 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I'm kind of hungover at the moment, but I can still tell you that your opinion means less than what my dog is doing out in the backyard right now.

Jun 11 - 12:37 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I'm kind of hungover at the moment, but I can still tell you that your opinion means less to me than the massive shit my dog is taking in the backyard right now.

Jun 11 - 12:38 PM

Chase The Lost

LOL

Jun 11 - 01:22 PM

The Critic

Critic !

Yea, from reading these treads I can tell that Chase and Alex are sort of boyfriend & boyfriend. Hey, I don't judge...

Jul 15 - 12:24 PM

Chase The Lost

Oh yeah?

Jul 20 - 10:14 AM

Jake Braden

Jake Braden

I actually think that the premise is kind of cool. 1 night a year all crime is legal. What I DON'T find cool is the focus of the movie. I would much rather see a story about what's actually happening outside with everyone doing whatever they want, rather than seeing some rich family jerk each other off for 2 hours while some thugs try to break into their house. Crime doesn't need to be legal for that. Hell, why are they even wearing the masks if crime is legal? The 8 year old girl is going to track them down afterwards?

Jun 10 - 07:05 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

......That's actually a really good point. Why does this movie need to be about crime being legal if all we're going to focus on is a home invasion? The only thing that changes is the reason they don't call the police, which is barely a change at all since all that eliminates is a scene where the criminals cut the phone lines.

Jun 13 - 12:15 AM

Mo D.

Mo Da

They did not cut the phones, they cut the power. I saw the masks as party favors. I liked that it was just in the rich folks house. I can watch CNN, BBC, or Aljezera & imagine what is happening out side. There?s a though for a sequel, a gaggle of teenage Catholic girls goes on rampage. Sounds like a film Zappa would produce.

Jun 13 - 08:05 AM

Jake Braden

Jake Braden

Yeah, because CNN and BBC are going to show you every detail about the world on a night where crime is legal. This entire comment is the stupidest thing i've ever read. No fucking shit they didn't cut the phones. He's saying that if crime WASN'T legal all they would need to do is cut the phones and it would be the same movie.

Jul 6 - 02:16 PM

Poody Brain

Poody Brain

Chase Nyland, will you have my babies? I wish that I was cool enough to comment and delve into the perspectives of everyone who posts on here, and then proceed to call them fucking stupid for their opinions in various ways. Gosh, did you and Alex Maverick have a tomato baby or are you guys ass pirates together in real life too? And Daniel Coate, umadbro? For real, its a fucking movie.

Jun 10 - 03:21 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

I like things with a semblance of reality. They purge us with deadly poisons in the water supply. They purge us "undesirables" through the use of a prison industrial military complex, not through its suspension. As if they would ever give up control even for 12 hours. This is 100% pro corporate propaganda, plain and simple.

The media says, be afraid of everyone around you. The government says, fear your neighbors. I don't. I fear the media and the government despite and due to the way they always try to fool us with the opposite.

Jun 10 - 08:23 AM

Chase The Lost

Wow, this bad movie is all it takes to get you worked up? As much as I agree with your outlook on government and the media, you're being a bit too cynical for something that's nothing more than a poorly executed satirical film. You sound like a paranoid nutjob. Is that how you pick up ladies? With your passionate conspiracy theories?

Jun 10 - 08:56 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Its NOT satire. How can you look up the word and still not know what it means? How dumb are you?!?

Furthermore, if you knew anything about media control, you would not be so blase. Study after study have shown that movies affect people's perceptions of reality more so than their reality does! But if you knew that, you would probably not be the kind of person who has already had their brain programmed by the media. Wake up and save yourself before its too late.

Jun 10 - 09:29 AM

Chase The Lost

Oh, spare me. I'm done with you. You think I don't know that the government has control over EVERYTHING we do and everything we see? I'm intelligent enough not to be burdened by the happenings of this declining country. There isn't anything I can do about it. You can whine and bitch about it until you're blue in the face and you can be miserable. I'll laugh at people like you while I'm cashing my lucrative paychecks, drinking my top shelf scotch, and fucking my women. Enjoy your hatred, you whiny little bitch.

Jun 10 - 09:34 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

In other words, you are the Government and you are the problem. Enjoy your life in hell. No one envies you.

Jun 10 - 09:42 AM

Chase The Lost

I'm not the government, you fucking idiot! I'm a writer from Philadelphia. Jesus, dude. Get laid or smoke a joint. I've never seen so much hatred in my life.

Jun 10 - 09:44 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

you are the government. they represent you, and you are the problem. as for me you dont know crap about me and its humorous just how wrong you are. well it would be humorous if you werent always wrong. incredible how you can say a million things and still b batting .000 -you should make a career out of it. it takes skill to be that wrong that often. you should get paid for it... oh thats right, you already do. pathetic little man

Jun 10 - 09:56 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Daniel, you seem a little...insane.

Jun 10 - 05:47 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

you come here to make a point...frankly my dear, i dont give a damn

Jun 10 - 08:14 PM

Chase The Lost

Funny, how he never came back. Maybe he's running around town dressed like Anon.

Jun 11 - 01:24 PM

Roland Icban

Roland Icban

From the way this thread is going, the idea of a purge is not really far from impossible. You Americans.

Jul 22 - 09:15 AM

Chase The Lost

Yeah, us Americans. Every country has greedy politicians with terrible ideas on how to run a country. Most of the world's masses are blinded by foolishness, not just Americans. You're just an ignorant prick.

Jul 22 - 09:10 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

guys i saw this friday night, and it was really entertaining.

Jun 9 - 08:46 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

you're a tool.

Jun 10 - 08:41 AM

Chase The Lost

And you're a pretentious dimwit.

Jun 10 - 08:49 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

41%- enough said.

{besides that pretentious is your way of saying that i'm way over your head and that you could never hope to hang with me intellectually, or in any other manner)

Jun 10 - 09:32 AM

Chase The Lost

You misunderstood the role of a movie producer. Your cockiness is pathetic.

Jun 10 - 09:36 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

jesus, i said entertaining, it wasnt good. this movie was fun to watch, not a fuckin scorcese film. so daniel, go fuck yourself and stop spewing horse shit all over the damn thread, its kinda embarrassing

Jun 10 - 08:07 PM

Tuviah Snyder

Tuviah Snyder

The purge would eliminate those suffering from cyclical or structural unemployment, because they would not be able to protect themselves. Therefore naturally the unemployment rate would be %1, simply because of frictional unemployment where the weathly and well educated who have relevant skills are simply moving from job to job. As for unrealistic, is no less realistic than nazi germany which purged all the undesirables, for their utopian society. Only difference is it wasn't one day a year. As for low crime rate the rest of the year, probably has something to do with most people being killed on that one day!

Jun 9 - 05:50 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Wrong. The Nazi purges were a purposefully evil and concerted systematic attempt by the sociopathic power structure to efficiently and organizedly commit genocide. This movie is about everyday people killing just because they can. its not even comparable, and its madly offensive to anyone with a brain that you would even make such a disgusting and erroneous observation.

Furthermore, the crime that would take place on such a day would undoubtedly be theft against all the rich people who you think would be so safe on that day, since they have something of value to take. Only a sociopathic mind would expect normal people to run around killing just because they could. Thats only what sociopaths do, and one major sign of a sociopath is that they insanely think that everybody else feels like they do {which is basically to not feel at all). AS for myself I would not fear in the least. No one has reason to hurt me, and if they did, I may be poor but I am an athlete, and it would be a mistake they would never make again. Again, I would fear mainly for the fat rich worthless white dudes who have something to lose and no ability to protect themselves. The same dudes you, and this misguided movie think would be so super safe. Its non-sensical. Anyone who goes to see this film is merely poisoning their mind, and filling themselves with garbage. Pathetic.

Jun 10 - 08:39 AM

Chase The Lost

Dude, the Nazi party targeted Europe to impose their New Order (which, by the way, was introduced prior to WWII) and eventually the rest of the world. Their plan was world domination as a master race for their own utopian society. You're not as smart as you think you are.

Jun 10 - 08:49 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Go to hell. As a Hebrew with relatives who survived the Holocaust, I can speak with far more authority on this than a know nothing/never shuts up fool such as yourself. Let me tell you it would be easy to blame every German alive at the time, but its not so simple. It was a concerted effort by the GOVERNMENT run by the military and carried out by evil, propagandized, brainwashed, and under orders personnel. It was not carried out by random average people running about the streets killing wantonly. It is in no way comparable, and the fact that you are trying so hard to make it so is merely making you look like a racist fukhead. quit while you are behind already.

Jun 10 - 09:40 AM

Chase The Lost

Now I understand why you're so fucking angry. Look, I'm truly sorry for the hell your relatives endured, but world domination was a serious element to the Nazi agenda whether you believe it or not. You're speaking from emotions.

Jun 10 - 09:43 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

nobody said world domination wasnt their plan. of course it was... what planet do u live on?!?

the point that your brain seems to small to understand is the holocaust was carried out by the government and those under its orders- not by random average citizens just randomly killing to "get their jollies off" or whatever the hell yr thinking. Its not even comparable. and its beyond offensive any idiot would even make the comment in the first place. please quit while yr behind- way way behind by now

Jun 10 - 10:00 AM

Chase The Lost

When did I ever fucking say that the Holocaust wasn't carried by the government? Holy shit, dude! You need to see a goddamn therapist, dog. Pronto.

Jun 11 - 01:25 PM

Chase The Lost

When did I ever fucking say that the Holocaust wasn't carried out by the government? Holy shit, dude! You need to see a goddamn therapist and pronto. Mother of God...I've never met anyone as wacked out as you and I hope I never do again. Kill yourself, dog. Do yourself a favor.

Jun 11 - 01:27 PM

Davide Chiarelli

Davide Chiarelli

anyway going back to the movie... I just saw it in streaming and was wondering the same thing...why would the poor be afraid of the rich and not the other way around? and also, all crime is legal that day but do you gain right over things, i mean to say for example if the black dude had killed everybody and took over their mansion would he then own it and be allowed to live in it? thoughts anybody?

Jul 2 - 11:37 AM

Chase The Lost

Interesting point. That's why the movie is stupid lol.

Jul 2 - 06:23 PM

Chassssse  N.

Chassssse Nyland

this whole venture just went so much better than i could have ever hoped!

Jun 9 - 04:53 PM

Chassssse  N.

Chassssse Nyland

AND HE RESPONDS OUR GOD SPEAKS!!!!

Jun 9 - 03:47 PM

Chassssse  N.

Chassssse Nyland

The purge is a movie c'mon guys!!!! does anyone on this site know that a movie is just a movie and nothing more than a movie, its a movie it can have a movie like storyline and nobody should care cus its a movie!!!!! right mothafuckas????!!!!! i mean for gods sake its a movie just a movie! this chase nyland kid gets it, its just a movie guys forget about anything else its a movie to be watched, ya know just a movvvvvvie holy balls! i mean its just a movie only a MOVIE.
YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND THE GROUNDBREAKING STATEMENT I AM OFFERING YOU, MOVIES DON'T HAVE TO BE LIKE REAL LIFE, I'M GLAD CHASE NYLAND SAID IT, ITS JUST SUCH A NEW IDEA THAT MOVIES DON'T HAVE TO RESEMBLE REAL LIFE, THANKS CHASE, FOR YOUR CARE, LOTS OF PEOPLE DONT GET THAT ITS JUST A MOVIE, I HEAR YA BROTHER
teamantichase4life
Best regards from,
Everyone here at teamantichase, sorry we fell off the grid

Jun 9 - 03:39 PM

Chase The Lost

You really need to get a life, bro. It's not funny anymore. Your obsession with me is really freaking me out.

Jun 9 - 03:43 PM

Chase Nylands

Chase Nylands

Yeah bro, not funny anymore.

Jun 10 - 04:25 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

LOL, how many are on that team? You and......................?

Jun 9 - 04:25 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

LOL how many people are on that team? You and....................?

Jun 9 - 04:26 PM

Chase The Lost

Oh shit! I didn't even see that lol

Jun 9 - 10:17 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I think him and his other profiles are the only members of that team.

Jun 10 - 05:49 PM

The Critic

Critic !

Welcome back, team!

Jul 15 - 12:05 PM

Chris Bender

Chris Bender

Not a terribly realistic premise, but an interesting one. I got the impression that the United States had come under the rule of a cult of personality, which is how they were able to implement this type of system and convince people it's a good idea. The Purge was really intended to "purge" the weak and improve the economy through population reduction.

Jun 9 - 12:08 PM

Chase The Lost

Correct.

Jun 9 - 12:29 PM

A S.

A Smith

Seems like one big ad for the NRA. Funny thing, I don't think the director intended that.

Jun 9 - 09:51 AM

Matthew Norton

Matthew Norton

The most insulting thing about this movie is the suggestion that law enforcement and emergency services would just take the night off, when there's no law stopping them from operating. What, once their legal obligation to help people is lifted, there's no moral obligation? Hell, if even one police force decided to operate during purge night, really putting their lives on the line for what they believed in, I'd watch THAT movie.

Jun 9 - 05:26 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I imagine trying to operate anyway would be kinda pointless. I mean think about it, what can cops do? They can't arrest people, because crime is legal. They can't investigate murders because odds are they won't solve it until the day is over, and the culprit didn't do anything illegal. The only thing they could do is shoot people or threaten to shoot people, and in a country where crime has become legal and tons and tons of people are committing crimes, they'd have way too many people to take care of.

I imagine there'd probably be a sizable chunk of cops out there who would try to do their best to operate anyway, but not enough so that calling them would guarantee you'd be nearly as safe as any other day.

Jun 12 - 11:52 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I also imagine that there'd be a sizable amount of cops who would approve of the purge, know what it's trying to accomplish, and appropriately take the day off to make sure it isn't rendered pointless.

Jun 12 - 11:54 PM

Davide Chiarelli

Davide Chiarelli

that movie would basically be a mix of judge dredd, robocop and the die hard series...seems pretty badass to me..anyhow they could make different movies based in this dystopian future

Jul 2 - 11:40 AM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

Funny how government officials were deemed exempt and were not to be harmed.

Jun 8 - 01:18 PM

David G.

David Gee

When you make a movie that has such a blatantly ridiculous and unrealistic premise, it has to be really good to overcome that, and it's rare that a movie does. One exception that comes to my mind is The Truman Show, which had a mind-numbingly stupid premise but actually turned out to be a decent film.

On the other hand, I watched Escape From New York for the first time the other night. I know there are those of you who like this movie, but personally I thought the premise not only was stupid (and I thought this when the movie first came out), but the movie itself is awful.

Jun 6 - 12:55 PM

Alex Murphy

Alex Murphy

personally I find the entire premise to be a huge slap in the face to all of humanity.. lemme get this straight, the only thing keeping all of humankind from tearing each other limb from limb is governmental officials enforcing the law???? because you knoew thats what all us little poopy commoners really want to do.. where's zed from zardoz when you need him to break up that elitist bunch of pricks mind games and bring them down to size?

Jun 6 - 12:30 PM

Ricky Mason

Ricky Mason

i sort of agree. but devils advocate here: If you were planning a crime, would you spontaneously do it, get caught, go to jail? Or wait for that one time a year where it was legal?

That being said...it'd be so dangerously stupid to actually be out on that night...

Jun 6 - 01:33 PM

Breanna Hayward

Breanna Hayward

Yeah but im not so sure the majority of crimes are planned...some people live for crime...im pretty sure gangbangers dont care if one day the things they do are legal. some people live for crime and this stupid idea wont change that

Jun 7 - 02:27 AM

Chase The Lost

Here's an idea. What if this Purge movie was...a fucking movie?! What if the idea for this film is no more outlandish than the idea of an alien flying around with a blue tights and a red cape? What if people on this website realized that this is a fictional horror film and nothing more?

Oh, the possibilities.

Jun 6 - 02:53 PM

Chase The Lost

Here's an idea. What if this Purge movie was...a fucking movie?! What if the idea for this film is no more outlandish than the idea of an alien flying around with blue tights and a red cape? What if people on this website realized that this is a fictional horror film and nothing more?

Oh, the possibilities.

Jun 7 - 08:26 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

yr an idiot. if you are an artist, who spends years of his life, and millions of dollars, producing a movie, and never once thinks about what that movie MEANS, that would make that artist NOT an artist, and the second stupidest person in the world, just ahead of YOU.

Jun 10 - 08:07 AM

Chase The Lost

Right. Because every filmmaker is an artist. There are never filmmakers who simply make movies for cash grabs.

Jun 10 - 09:13 AM

Chase The Lost

By the way, the producer doesn't write or direct the movie. He advertises it, you utter fucking moron.

Jun 10 - 09:14 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

a Producer is generally in charge of EVERYTHING. of course there are many different kinds of producers. some like George Lucas produce many of the movies the write and direct. others may produce any pile of garbage if the price is right, just like you.

Jun 10 - 09:54 AM

Chase The Lost

Producers generally do NOT write and direct.

*rubs temples* Do you have any friends at all?

Jun 11 - 01:28 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

There's a reason we have laws in the first place. And it's not the prevent people from doing things they weren't going to do anyway. There are plenty of people who'd happily commit crimes if there was no consequences for it. That's not to say everybody would do it (hell, I'd also be one of the people who would lock himself inside steel covered house), but you'd be stupid to think that if tomorrow we suspended all laws that nothing would change.

That being said, I can't imagine the government signing off on this. But I agree with Chase, it's just a fucking movie.

Jun 7 - 11:17 AM

Lori Gilhooley

Lori Gilhooley

I am a law abiding citizen, but if there were no laws for one day, I would def think about doing away with my exhusband, and the 19 year old girl he lives with, that he cheated on me with, during a 20 year marriage. Prob would steal a new car maybe. Dont think I would harm strangers for gain though. Thus proving, even good people would do bad things!

Jun 10 - 06:04 AM

Chase The Lost

I'm taking screenshots of this and sending it to the police and the cyber police. I backtraced it. You done goofed.

A standing ovation to anyone who gets the reference. *hint* It's not from a movie.

Jun 10 - 06:13 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

In that case, you would no longer be a good person.

Jun 10 - 08:09 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Wrong. The law never stopped anyone from anything. People who are crazy enough to want to rape and kill are too crazy to care about laws. Thats why they do it, althoguh there obviously are laws against it. The law never stopped anybody from doing anything; it just punishes them for it. You need to learn the meaning of cause and effect.

Furthermore, as an individual who, unlike you, has actually lived places with no laws, I can inform you with utter certainty that good people don't change because there is no 'law' {and the bad people get dealt with much quicker and more effectively). To assume that everyone would be a killer if not for some 'law' against it, is the mark of a sociopathic mind.

the one point i can agree with you on is that the government would never, ever allow something like this. there is no way a government like ours would give up control, even for 15 seconds, let alone 12 hours. just ridiculous. why anyone would be dumb enough to see this movie is beyond me. too many dumb people in the world i guess. with shlock like this rotting people's brains, its no wonder.

Jun 10 - 08:20 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I swear to god you didn't even read my post.

To just dismiss every criminal as "crazy" is ludicrous. You're telling me there are NO people out there who WOULD kill if they thought there would be no consequences for it? There are no people who would have shot up a theater had it not been for the police enforcing the laws? There was never a time in which when something became illegal and all the sudden it stopped happening? Because if that was true, then we wouldn't have laws or law enforcement.

Secondly, please point to where I said that good people would instantly change would there be no law against killing. And please point to where I said EVERYONE would be a killer if not for the law, because I'm pretty sure I never said either of those things. I said there are people out there who would happily go on a killing rampage if there was no law out there against it and no police force to stop them.

Jun 12 - 11:43 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

I swear to god you didn't even read my post.

To just dismiss every criminal as "crazy" is ludicrous. You're telling me there are NO people out there who WOULD kill if they thought there would be no consequences for it? There are no people who would have shot up a theater had it not been for the police enforcing the laws? There was never a time in which when something became illegal and as a result it stopped happening as often? Because if that was true, then we wouldn't have laws or law enforcement.

Secondly, please point to where I said that good people would instantly change would there be no law against killing. And please point to where I said EVERYONE would be a killer if not for the law, because I'm pretty sure I never said either of those things. I said there are people out there who would happily go on a killing rampage if there was no law out there against it and no police force to stop them.

Jun 12 - 11:47 PM

Chase The Lost

Don't even bother, man. He seems to despise the world and everyone in it. Hopefully he didn't come back because he killed himself.

Jun 13 - 07:24 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

Meh, replying to his idiocy gave me peace of mind

Jun 13 - 09:59 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Franz Brod is the only person on this thread with any sense at all. The rest of you all make me fear for the future of humanity, and Jesus cry every day. You all suck.

Jun 10 - 08:44 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Do you kick ass for the lord?

Jun 10 - 12:09 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

What would Jesus do? Well he'd go on an internet forum, and tell everyone they suck because they don't agree with his point of view. Yep, you're a good Christian.

Jun 12 - 11:56 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

well im watching friday, so ill see how ridiculous the movie really is

Jun 6 - 11:26 AM

Chase The Lost

So wait...someone really took the time to create a fake profile in attempt to insult me? I truly don't think I've ever been more flattered! Someone decided to use their precious free time to insult me when they could be out making money or finding women or living a life?! Thank you, sir! I didn't know I meant that much to you. You'll still be deleted in a couple of days.

:)

Jun 5 - 02:31 PM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

He has a gay crush. This is the only way for him to express it.

Jun 5 - 04:02 PM

Nyland C.

Nyland Chase

NYLAND

Jun 5 - 01:07 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

You seem a bit obsessed with Chase, to be perfectly honest. It's okay if you want his dick. He probably won't return the compliment, but you can admit it. No judging.

Jun 5 - 03:58 PM

Nyland C.

Nyland Chase

CHASE

Nyland C.

Nyland Chase

CHASE EVEN IF NO ONE ELSE GIVES ONE SINGLE SHIT ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS, I DO!!!!! BUT EVEN YOUR NUMBER ONE FAN THINKS YOUR GETTING A LITTLE OUT OF HAND!!!

Nyland C.

Nyland Chase

brave CHASE NYLAND THE TROLL SLAYER!!!!!!!

Jun 5 - 01:05 PM

Nyland C.

Nyland Chase

ahh no surprise to see old chase nyland commenting on every thing possible in this thread!!! god i love his views on everything hes gonna be famous someday and youll all be sorry you said he was just some fat shit who sits on his ass and wathces movies and plays on computer all day!! hes gonna be a big movie reviewer and ill be there to say i told you all so!!! chase you are a genius and your intellect is like nothing ive ever seen, for gods sake keep commenting on everything everywhere, anywhere theres a comment without you attached i want you to be there! your an inspiration brother
TEAMANTICHASE4LIFE
YEP WE BACK BABY

Jun 5 - 01:02 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

Wow... now we just have to get Maverick Alex, Tyler John, and Tutweiller Diego, and it'll be a party.

Jun 5 - 05:31 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Don't forget Gilmore Frankie and Tanny David.

Jun 5 - 07:04 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Don't forget Gilmore Frankie and Tanny David.

Jun 5 - 07:04 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

No The Honey Badger Cutler?

Jun 6 - 09:08 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I thought it would be Cutler Jay.

Jun 6 - 03:56 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Chase is a cool guy, but you're downright obsessed.

Jun 5 - 07:09 PM

Steve Forsyth

Steve Forsyth

Cole - it's easy to assume that the way things are and have been is always going to be that way. Fact is, the concept of murder as entertainment has a long history in human culture - just look at the Gladiatorial games - is this really that different?

Jun 5 - 10:05 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

running time is pretty short, im actually surprised its fresh right now, maybe it stays that way like evil dead did

Jun 4 - 03:30 PM

Anthony Felix

Anthony Felix

Well, the movie is at a rotten right now. It currently has a 56%. Any final score prediction guys? I hope the movie makes at least 50% or above :)

Jun 5 - 10:36 AM

Jake F.

Jake Foster

I actually thought it ended at the perfect time. If it had been one of those newer films that goes on for 2 hours, I wouldn't have made it. This film goes by very fast.

Jun 9 - 06:57 AM

Mike Blakely

Mike Blakely

I thought the country was run by the people not the government. Of corse this would never happen, hopefully the people would never vote for this type of law. I watched this movie and liked it, watching horror movies require suspension of realism. I mean really would most of the stuff happen that you see in movies. This movie will make you think about society, government, poverty, racism, greed, and poverty. Bottom line it does not matter who you are; you are never safe.

Jun 4 - 11:20 AM

Chase The Lost

If you really think this country is run by the people and not the government, then you are naļve.

Jun 4 - 11:46 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Beat me to it.

Jun 4 - 01:39 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

It's not run by the government either, it's run by Corporations.

Jun 5 - 05:38 PM

Chase The Lost

You're right. I was just disproving his point.

Jun 6 - 07:12 AM

ManOnFire

The ManOnFire

I know the premise makes next to no sense, but I'm keeping an open mind and see how it turns out.

Jun 4 - 09:57 AM

Ian Woods

Ian Woods

I agree that the premise of this film is... weak at best. It's either a) a serious plot device, in which case criticism of the nonsensical disconnect between raging bloodlust of the Purge and the idyllic society of the entire rest of the year is perfectly valid, b) it's meant as a satire, in which case the reviews of this film's 'Assault on Precinct 13' homage during the second act would be out of place. Satire has a dedicated goal that is arrived at in a mocking or irreverent fashion: see Jonathan Swift or the more clever South Park episodes (how's that for range).

I have no problem suspending disbelief for movies. But films that violate their own universe's laws always irk me (Prometheus... I'm staring angrily at you).

All this said, I'm looking forward to watching this movie while drinking with friends. Seems like solid, mindless entertainment. Mindless being the keyword.

Jun 4 - 07:32 AM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

I'm gonna just put this out here instead of replying to all of you trying to use "bomb theory"
ACTS OF TERROR ARE NOT CRIMES.
TERRORISM WOULD STILL NOT BE ALLOWED

Jun 3 - 08:03 PM

Dylan Altoft

Dylan Altoft

There is zero possibility of anything like this happening. the film itself is tapping into an slight adaptation of a ' lord of the flies ' sort of theme, if given the chance, how monsterous can people be, we already were that horrible in the dark ages and gladiator times and this is a comtemporary advanced version of that message. however it has too little possibility, perhaps a area, someone how taking over in anarchy and starting that law in their own governed state, possibly, but an an entire country, and americe at that, impossible. conspiricy theroist often claim that america would like to repeel the ' right to bear arms ' law becuase it would ive the american government a chance to take over and enslave the citizens, but what they fail to take into consideration is the rest of the civilised world, NATO, the UN ect. the premis is impossible becuase they don't even mention how ' the purge ' law came into existance, a couple mentioning of a 'new' founding fathers but nothing else, no war over it, not even protests? nope, we all instantly become monster just becuase we can. again, misunderstanding that ' just once ' is not enough for greedy wanting humans. drug addicts don't get together once ay ear and take all the drugs they want, they do it all year round and if you could kill whoever you wanted for just once a year, that bloodlust wouldn't just disappear the next day. the young people who are the villians, The leader of them i think is an exact replica of Alex from a clockwork orange and manby a mix of heath ledgers joker, a good performance i just saw too much of it, were clearly a representation of the birth of a new breed or generation of people born from such a law. The film itself plays more to innocent people that anythingl, making the ying awear of the little black dot of yang within itself, there have been many films like that, which show how easily a human monster can exist in a human and civilized sociaty, ' american phycho ' is a good example film. but there is not enough exp,anation of how this idea came into existance, it focused too strongly on simply shocking us that it 'can' exist, that it didn't stop to think weather or not it could convince it that it 'could' in a modern day world. the premisi is rediculas becuase despite american being a world wide pinical of power and strength, i think if they decided that for 12 hours every year people could commit mass genocide agianst eachother, europe, canada, china, japan and pretty much ANY other civilised sociaty would move in a stop them. its a good idea buti t either wasn't fully realised to the point itm ade sense or it simply didn't explain enough to us to instill the shock of its premis for long

Jun 2 - 04:32 PM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

So I read none of this....but good job on exhausting me just be looking at it (I need to stop drinking)

Jun 2 - 05:44 PM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

So I read none of this....but I was exhausted just by looking at it (I need to stop drinking)

Jun 2 - 05:45 PM

Chase The Lost

If you're going to present a verbose argument, at least have the decency to proofread. Your grammar is pitiful. Not to mention your ostentatious opinions are irrelevant. This is not a documentary. This is a horror film that attempts to bring a new plot to the genre with "home invasion" ingenuity. Get over yourself. You do not sound intelligent.

Jun 3 - 09:12 AM

Cindy Chau

Cindy Chau

This.

Jun 3 - 06:50 PM

Chase The Lost

It's amazing how many people don't understand that.

Jun 3 - 07:50 PM

Clarence Boddicker

Clarence Boddicker

Exactly.

Jun 4 - 06:30 PM

Diego Tutweiller

^^ Migs knows what's up.

Jun 6 - 05:16 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

ummm... its too bad you morons have the time to write nonsense, yet none to read and learn anything at all. pathetic.

Jun 10 - 09:14 AM

Chase The Lost

I read every word of it and I agree with it. I'm just not getting caught up in it because the film is terrible and it's not worth my time. And neither are you, really.

Jun 10 - 09:26 AM

Christopher Kelly

Christopher Kelly

No it aint nigga. You stupid. It means I gets to bash in me some dumb ass cracker bitch with a big mouth and get away with it. Thats the shit right there. Na mean? Hells yeah. Full on thug life for reals for a whole day and shit. Damn nigga. That be the bomb son. I be curbin niggas all day long. I be looking at the lock till shit got on poppin dawg. Yup. Shit just got real son. You better find your ass a damn good hiding place and hope my black ass don't find you. You feel me? I wish USA would do this shit. Need to purge some bitches from this shit. No doubt.

Jun 1 - 05:38 PM

Chase The Lost

Another failed troll attempt.

Jun 1 - 11:02 PM

Max M.

The Dude

When he's not insulting people, he's a fine guy.

Jun 3 - 09:52 AM

John Dooms

John Dooms

hilarious stuff chrissy

Jun 5 - 04:11 AM

The Critic

Critic !

Why wait until the purge when you can do that any day of the week and get away with it in Jersey or JewYork?

Jul 15 - 12:21 PM

Chase The Lost

You think New York and New Jersey are the only states with bad crime?

Jul 20 - 10:15 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Most of the commentators on this thread are obviously American. You can tell by their inability to see it as an exaggeration, not a plot that is supposed to be feasible. Yes, events may not happen exactly in america, but as we have proven in the past, we are willing to go to drastic measures in order to remain "safe" (Patriot Act, anyone?)

Jun 1 - 12:47 PM

Chase The Lost

'Murica. Gotta love it.

Jun 1 - 01:28 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

You have won this argument. Thank you

Jun 3 - 08:06 PM

Ricky Saini

Ricky Saini

You're missing the point, who even cares about what it was about(when that is shoddy and shitty in the first place), it was even horribly executed. I cannot even think of more places where it can fail.

Jun 7 - 02:27 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

I couldn't see this in American, but I could see this in China or something. Where they would like to have population control.

May 31 - 08:33 PM

The Critic

Critic !

They damn near have this in Europe.

Jul 15 - 12:22 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

You know what's also a really stupid idea? This is gonna be a long one
-going to stay in a cabin in the woods
-holding someone hostage by setting a bus to blow up if it goes under 50 miles per hour (there are easier ways of doing this)
-getting superpowers by being bitten by a radioactive spider
- dying exactly seven days after you watch a video
- anything in Harry potter
- aliens that are harmed by water invading a planet that is 90% water, with water falling from the sky regularly
- sending somebody back in time 30 years in order for their younger self to kill them. (Why not kill them THEN send them back?)
- going into peoples dreams
- the matrix

-

May 31 - 08:16 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

you have a bad taste in movie then

May 31 - 08:30 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

I'm not saying I don't like these movies, I love them all. the premises are really silly and illogical, but that's what makes them so fun. They're movies, not discovery channel documentaries.

Jun 3 - 07:34 PM

Rocket

Rocket Raccoon

I'd really love to know what movies you do like then. By the way, I you made me think of what all of these movies would be like in one movie. Thanks for that.

Jun 1 - 02:32 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

I love just about everyone of the movies I had referenced. The premises are silly, but the point that I was trying to make was that good movies are usually born out of silly premises

Jun 3 - 07:29 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

Also, you're welcome. Now you know how I feel everytime I watch a "scary movie"

Jun 3 - 07:37 PM

Ian Woods

Ian Woods

Some of those comparisons are valid, but lumping in fictional worlds such as Harry Potter weakens your argument. Harry Potter sets up its own rules and abides by them throughout. The Purge situates itself as a 'dystopic' view of the West's future but it violates the rules of its own universe (e.g. going from murderous sociopaths Sunday afternoon to worker bees on Monday).

Haven't seen the film yet, just read plot summaries. Enough serious people are poking at the premise that if the director does consider this a social satire, he didn't do a good enough job of establishing that within the film.

Jun 4 - 07:24 AM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

You're right, I probably should have compared it more to 1984. A classic piece of literature that depicts a dystopian future. One where, once a year, there is a week dedicated to releasing all the tension that has been stored up.
Obviously MUCH more plausible than a dystopian future where, once a year, we have 12 hours to release all stored up tension.

Jun 4 - 03:35 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

71% of the earth is water.

Jun 4 - 01:44 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

The 19% less water then makes it a good idea?

Jun 4 - 03:25 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

No, just correcting you.

Jun 4 - 10:15 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

Ah, yes, thank you then :)

Jun 6 - 06:31 PM

Reginald Graddy

Reginald Graddy

Hilarious. I actually thought it was 75%, but what's a few percentage points.

Jun 9 - 08:14 AM

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Wouldn't one night of violence just lead to another and another. Why stop. If the gov't could stop you then they wouldn't need the purge. And how does this decrease unemployment? You can't kill that many people in one night.

May 31 - 07:32 PM

Chase The Lost

It doesn't decrease unemployment. It's a satire of a dystopian society. Jesus, are people really this stupid?

Jun 1 - 08:13 AM

Chris Paquette

Chris Paquette

It takes itself far too seriously to be effective satire, though.

Jun 3 - 12:04 AM

Chase The Lost

Satire doesn't always mean comedy or black humor.

Jun 3 - 09:04 AM

Clarence Boddicker

Clarence Boddicker

This. And yes, I try to give the benefit of the doubt and this what incessantly keeps bludgeoning me over the head, they are this stupid. Can't believe people are offering a "critique" of a film's premise that is clearly satirical, and they haven't even seen it! It would be like offering a critique for Battle Royale or The Hunger Games. And, what is infinitely more important: reality (as it's called) is just as damn bizarre, but I don't expect that to be seen clearly, not often anyway. WHY DON"T YOU GUYS TRY READING ONE OF THE REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS REVIEW AGGREGATOR SITE AND EDUCATE YOURSELVES? Geezus.

Jun 4 - 06:36 PM

Tim Masterson

Tim Masterson

Apparently in The Purge, TV stations show live carnage all night long, but why wouldn't they just broadcast bootlegs of movies in theaters?

During The Purge, can my doctor release my medical records without violating HIPAA?

You know what I would do during The Purge? Rebroadcast old Major League Baseball games without expressed, written consent.

May 31 - 01:19 PM

Chinedu Opara

Chinedu Opara

I would totally fill out my 1040EZ forms incorrectly, so that I'd get back tons of money in tax refunds. Boo yeah!!

Jun 6 - 09:32 AM

Reginald Graddy

Reginald Graddy

I hear ya, man. I'd go ripping tags off mattresses and doing a New York stop at red lights. I wouldn't even signal when I did it, either. I'd be ruthless.

Jun 9 - 08:19 AM

Tiffany Crites

Tiffany Crites

I would bomb/kill all the 1% rich people, because that would end poverty.

Jun 15 - 10:13 AM

Susie Torres

Susie Torres

Man Ethan Hawke, is the shit!!! The most underrated actor out there, he should of won a Grammy nomination for White Fang, and one of my fave flicks of all time Training Day, as Officer Hoyte...Daywalkers was cool, as was Sinister....The Purge sounds sick, Critics need to shove it...I'm gonna go see this one! Ethan you are da man!

May 31 - 08:39 AM

Chase The Lost

He should have won a Grammy? I didn't know he was a musician.

May 31 - 09:22 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Maybe he was a former rapper *hint hint*

May 31 - 03:05 PM

Chase The Lost

Ahhh, I see what you did there!

May 31 - 03:07 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I almost pissed myself laughing at "Grammy nomination".

Jun 6 - 02:27 AM

Susie Torres

Susie Torres

Man Ethan Hawke, is the shit!!! The most underrated actor out there, hevshouldbof won a Grammy nomination for White Gang, and one of my fave flicks of all time Training Day, as Officer Hoyte...Daywalkers was cool, as was Sinister....The Purge sounds sick, Critics need to shove it...I'm gonna go see this one! Ethan you are da man!

May 31 - 08:37 AM

Chinedu Opara

Chinedu Opara

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Jun 6 - 09:33 AM

Chase The Lost

You don't wanna be bad...

Jun 6 - 11:15 AM

Chase The Lost

I don't know what some of you want from a film. When a movie is unoriginal, I hear a lot of bitching and moaning. When a movie actually has a fresh premise (minus the recycled horror scares), I still hear a lot of bitching and moaning because "it doesn't make sense," or "it's idiotic." This film appears to be satirical. It's no more unbelievable than an alien guy with a blue suit and a red cape flying around the world. It's just a movie, ladies and gentlemen. If you don't like it, don't see it.

May 31 - 07:38 AM

Mark Mortinson

Mark Mortinson

It is pretty idiotic. But if I was a round. I would get to a very high spot like a church tower that I could keep others from getting to me. An use a sniper rifle with a supressor, to take out idiots acting out in such a manner. I know, that hypecritical. Though sheep need sheepdogs to protect them from the wolves!

May 30 - 11:43 PM

Mark Mortinson

Mark Mortinson

It is pretty idotic. But if I was a round. I would get to a very high spot like a church tower that I could keep others from getting to me. An use a sniper rifle with a supressor, to take out idiots acting out in such a manner. I know, that hypecritical. Though sheep need sheepdogs to protect them from the wolves!

May 30 - 11:42 PM

John R.

John Rose

It looks like someone ran across the Star Trek episode "The Return of the Archons"...FESTIVAL !!!!...FESTIVAL !!!!

May 30 - 02:22 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

My opinion has changed a little. To clarify, I don't usually nitpick movies for plot holes or anything. I also do understand that it's a movie and that many movies have odd premises like Sci-Fi. I think that this is different because science fiction is a genre in which the universe is not associated with ours. The amount of realism that this movie is going for doesn't completely fit it's premise. But I actually have stopped caring. It's kind of dumb but it IS a movie.

May 30 - 07:59 AM

Japes

Japes .

really? I thought the premise was actually really interesting. It makes sense too. Peace and success because once a year everyone is allowed to beat the shit out of their annoying coworkers or somebody that pissed them off so they get to unleash their rage that has been building up the other 364 days of the year. It sounds really cool and I can't wait to see it.

May 29 - 05:45 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

how exactly does allowing violence decrease violence

May 30 - 02:58 AM

James Campbell

James Campbell

It would not.

May 30 - 05:35 AM

Japes

Japes .

It's a movie. I'm not going to analyze the reality of it. It makes sense of why there would be peace. I'm not saying if it actually happened it would work.

May 30 - 01:21 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

You're not going to analyze the reality of it? Seriously? Why handicap yourself like that? What a waste of the intellect afforded you by millions of years of evolution and ancestry. Level some damn standards against the people you pay for entertainment. It doesn't "make sense", anyone who would allow their government to let complete strange brutalize them for the sake of "public release" deserves to die. A more interesting premise would be that everyone ends up hunkering down in their homes and it's the government sneaking around breaking into people's houses once a year. But somehow I don't think the filmmakers are even remotely clever in that regard, and it will turn out to be another piece of unsubtle propaganda that is too pussy to just come right out and say it supports the racist Stand Your Ground Law (which is actually what the film is about, let's be honest.) Don't sell yourself short, man.

May 30 - 02:13 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

You're not going to analyze the reality of it? Seriously? Why handicap yourself like that? What a waste of the intellect afforded you by millions of years of evolution and ancestry. Level some damn standards against the people you pay for entertainment. It doesn't "make sense", anyone who would allow their government to let complete strange brutalize them for the sake of "public release" deserves to die. A more interesting premise would be that everyone ends up hunkering down in their homes and it's the government sneaking around breaking into people's houses once a year. But somehow I don't think the filmmakers are even remotely clever in that regard, and it will turn out to be another piece of unsubtle right-wing propaganda that is too pussy to just come right out in support of the racist Stand Your Ground Law (which is actually what the film is about, let's be honest) because like most modern conservatives, deep down they know their beliefs are based on rubbish. Don't sell yourself short, man.

May 30 - 02:16 PM

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Maybe if they had a deal with the devil/satan saying give me one day a year and you can keep up your facade the other 364.

May 31 - 07:36 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

By a general release of tension. It's the same has going to the gym, punching a punching bag for a while, and coming out feeling like roses.

Jun 1 - 12:57 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

and then the next day, you need to punch something else. Brian, yr stupidity is astounding!

Jun 10 - 09:11 AM

Lori Gilhooley

Lori Gilhooley

I read some of the comments about how this would never work. If I could get rid of the hate and aggrivation I have towards certain people in one day, I would be much happier and calm the other 364 days.

Jun 10 - 06:14 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Lori, everything you say gives me the impression that you have some seriously sociopathic tendencies and should seek some kind of mental assistance.

Jun 10 - 09:12 AM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

i'll explain it.....

it's a movie. good enough right!

May 29 - 03:33 PM

Film Fanatic

Daire Hutton

Okay,a guy on imdb was saying that the makers are not saying it will most likely happen they're saying "what if" and this is called "suspension of disbelief". So basically he is saying not to take it seriously (it's only a movie) and shut the fuck up

May 29 - 02:10 PM

Adam Roman

Adam Roman

Zombies eat brains and walk really slowly. Do I get an explanation of why?

May 29 - 11:22 AM

James Campbell

James Campbell

Well in most zombie movies it is some sort of virus. How many zombie movies do zombies actually go for the brains?

May 30 - 05:36 AM

Philip Hunn

Philip Hunn

The "Return Of The Living Dead" movies were the first to specifically mention brain-eating as a typical zombie trait, I believe ("Warm Bodies" also mentions that "the brain's the best part", but for a very different reason - in the "Return" films, zombies prefer brains because the electrical impulses dull the pain of decay, but "Warm Bodies" states that they like to eat brains because it gives them access to their prey's memories, which is as close as they get to dreaming).

One thing's for sure, however: they certainly aren't as picky about what they eat in Romero's films...

Jun 7 - 06:59 PM

Johnem95

John Mathews

Well, one of the genres listed for this film is "Science Fiction"...

May 29 - 07:20 AM

Liiam Cruz

Liiam Cruz

It's the lamest premise OF ALL TIME. It would only take one person to detonate a dirty bomb in Times Square - which would be perfectly legal on that night, or release a deadly chemical or some other weapon of mass destruction, which would all be perfectly legal, then the entire world could be potentially destroyed. Lame and stupid... Does it mean crimes that only have repercussions or effects on American soil? Because what if a computer hacker brought down a vast global computer network from the US or infected vast areas of the world's computer systems with a crippling virus, and what have you. There are so so many flaws in the premise it's frankly embarrassing. I feel sad for Ethan Hawke.

May 28 - 06:55 PM

Adam Roman

Adam Roman

Well we haven't seen the movie, so we don't have any definitive answers, but first off, yeah I assume this is limited to only American soil (why would some decree made in America have any jurisdiction in Zimbabwe). Secondly, it's easy to pick up a nuclear bomb? I wasn't aware of that. No crime means if any scum bag wants to try and steal some plutonium, then some guy guarding it will machine gun him to death without any penalty (just because crime is legal, doesn't mean certain entities wouldn't hire extra security for a day like the purge). Thirdly, yeah sure, I'm sure things would get bombed, but remember in this fictitious society, a majority of the population is in good graces so the need to create mass destruction probably wouldn't be too prevalent.

Like many people have said, you can poke holes in any science fiction movie ever made. What if people came back to life just to eat other people's brains? What if you watched a video tape that caused you to die in 7 days? I mean, the most important thing for any of these kind of movies is how the movie is made, and for this specific kind of movie, do you get scared?

May 29 - 11:16 AM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

1st- one night to commit a crime would not allow you to bomb a place. That's an act of terror, not a crime, COMPLETELY different.
2nd- I think this movie is more of a nod towards the 2 minute hats of "1984", taken to the next level. It seems to me that this movie is going to be more about why having a purge would be a bad idea, even if it does have a few advantages. Much like with "the number 23", I think you are all missing the true point of the film. The number 23 was panned for having a stupid premise,

May 31 - 07:41 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

1st- one night to commit a crime would not allow you to bomb a place. That's an act of terror, not a crime, COMPLETELY different. 2nd- I think this movie is more of a nod towards the 2 minute hats of "1984", taken to the next level. It seems to me that this movie is going to be more about why having a purge would be a bad idea, even if it does have a few advantages. Much like with "the number 23", I think you are all missing the true point of the film. The number 23 was panned for having a stupid premise, how the main. Character was seeing the number 23 in everything, in a very forced manner. But that was the point of the film. It was about how once you get an idea in your head, your mind dwells on it driving you insane. It wasn't about how the number 23 was "magical", it was about Jim carrey going insane because of a stupid idea. That seems to be the direction the purge is going to take. Its not going to be about how awesome the idea is, but rather how HORRIBLE it is.

May 31 - 07:46 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

Besides, if this movie was really going to advocate this being a good idea, I doubt it would be a HORROR MOVIE.

May 31 - 07:56 PM

Joe Albanese

Joe Albanese

That's why the idea was pitched to Hollywood and not Washington.

May 28 - 05:01 PM

Mike Myres

Mike Myres

It reminds me of seeing a werewolf or vampire movie. A lot of people would pick the movie apart and say that is false or that is fake or that could never happen, but they never complain about the werewolves or the vampires. Funny. I guess some people can't enjoy a movie. The whole point of a movie (unless it is based on a true story) is entertainment. It's a temporary reprieve from reality. You want something to complain about, complain about the complete and utter waste of US billions on foreign countries while ours is slowly falling apart. Or does that take too much brain power and require someone to actually get off their ass and away from a computer and do something about it? Too many people on this planet and most are waste of oxygen trolls.

May 27 - 01:36 PM

Liiam Cruz

Liiam Cruz

Oh shush your mouth lol! Does it just mean US citizens or not? All it would take would be one activist to detonate a nuclear weapon, or many nuclear weapons - which would be perfectly legal! - and the whole country would be wiped out. Nevermind terrorists who are citizens, how could you stop overseas terrorists committing mass destruction terrorist crimes on that night, which would all be completely legal? See you can clearly see that the premise is laughable, awkwardly and embarrassingly lame.

May 28 - 07:00 PM

Nick Lafleur

Nick Lafleur

Crimes =/= acts of terror

Jun 3 - 07:59 PM

Diego Tutweiller

It's an intriguing premise, though. You can just imagine the possibilities. Some people would pull off elaborate bank heists, some would just go out an commit as many homicides as possible. However, you can pretty much tell that this film won't explore any of those interesting story arcs and instead opt for cheap thrills and horror movie cliches.

May 27 - 12:58 PM

Liiam Cruz

Liiam Cruz

Apparently the idea was pitched to Asylum and even they rejected it out of hand - they said "Haha wtf? Sorry boss but we make serious movies here at Asylum, we don't make idiotic trash like that. For example,w e are currently working on Sharktosaurus vs Megacroctopus. Take your Purge movie and find some other brainless studio to make it for you."

May 28 - 07:15 PM

Adam Roman

Adam Roman

yeah that happened?

May 29 - 11:17 AM

Diego Tutweiller

Ah, you are clearly a Hollywood insider, Liiam. I defer to your apparently extensive knowledge of the inner workings of the film industry.

May 31 - 03:33 PM

Alexandru Nechita

Alexandru Nechita

I have never heard a more idiotic plot. More than anything, 12 hours to commit illegal shit won't bring unemployment and crime to 1%. Never, ever.

May 27 - 04:02 AM

James Campbell

James Campbell

Of course it can. Violence and crime always create jobs out of thin air...

May 30 - 05:37 AM

Chris Paquette

Chris Paquette

It will bring down crime. I expect most of the criminals would end up getting themselves brutally killed on that night.

Jun 3 - 12:08 AM

Reginald Graddy

Reginald Graddy

It creates jobs because people are needed to clean up all the bodies out of the streets, repair homes and buildings, and morticians and undertakers need assistants to help them.

Jun 9 - 08:23 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

OK, Sasha Nechita you have some sense, James tell the brian fool on here what satire and sarcasm really is since he is so damn clueless. the rest of yall are idiots.

Jun 10 - 09:04 AM

Tanya Garrigues

Tanya Garrigues

Can't you people stop bitching about how this plot is "ridiculous" and it would "never happen" think again. Anything is possible with our screwed up government. I swear none of you guys are satisfied with an original plot. I give the movie producer/director props on making a refreshing and new vision. Maybe you should stick to what you know and watch romantic comedies that always have the same ending and the movies are all the same...

May 26 - 01:20 PM

Liiam Cruz

Liiam Cruz

But it would be legal to detonate nuclear weapons! How pathetic. Terrorists would be legally allowed to release nerve gas and any number of weapons of mass destruction and the country - the whole world - would rapidly be destroyed within 30 seconds. Hackers could bring down the world's computer networks, infect them with crippling viruses, and it would all be legal! People could poison the water supplies, destroy airports, blow up the Whiet House, blow up hospitals, and destroy the whole country and it would all be legal. So unbelievably lame.

May 28 - 07:02 PM

Tanya Garrigues

Tanya Garrigues

Don't think too hard, it's just a movie...

May 30 - 09:29 PM

Reginald Graddy

Reginald Graddy

They could only use Class 4 weapons and below, which I'm assuming is nothing above automatic weapons (not a weapons expert). Top gov't officials were off limits (figures they'd put that clause in there).

Jun 9 - 08:25 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Wrong. If you think our power hungry government would give up any power at all, even for 12 hours, then you are as crazy as they are... and WRONG.

Jun 10 - 09:06 AM

Tanner Gray

Tanner Gray

It's a movie... That's like saying every sci-fi has to go into detail explaining how they discovered all their high tech technology and how they discovered how to make ships to traverse space at the speed of light. It's ridiculous to have to make them do that.

May 26 - 12:50 AM

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Uillceal Gwynlambth

In the old days of Bradbury, Asimov, and Clarke that is exactly what they did.

May 31 - 07:42 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

any decent sci-fi movie DOES EXACTLY THAT!!! please don't open yr mouth when you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT THE FUK YR TALKING ABOUT!!!

Jun 10 - 09:07 AM

Sharkour

Bret Maverick

If people don't like that society ditches all their rules for a day, then why waste all that money on home security and crap! GO TO CANADA FOR A DAY INSTEAD OF STAYING IN THE TOWN WITH A BUNCH OF CRAZED MANIACS!!

May 25 - 10:04 PM

Thomas McAndrews

Thomas McAndrews

Are people really just itching to commit crimes against others but can't because it's illegal? It's just scary that people are thinking about this and forgetting that there are millions of reasons not to kill or rob other people besides that it's 'illegal'. Dumb premise. Doesn't intrigue me. Won't see it.

May 25 - 04:11 PM

Chase Reynolds

Chase Reynolds

Then perhaps a more unoriginal, cliche' riddled nicholas sparks movie shall peak your interest.

May 26 - 12:20 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

OK, Thomas and Uilceal, you make the cool list as well. and give me a bit more hope for humanity. i'm seeing now that the morons don't make up the majority here, they just write the most nonsense.

Jun 10 - 09:09 AM

Chase Reynolds

Chase Reynolds

"The premise is ridiculous."-More like ORIGINAL. What difference did it make for of the Star Wars and Star Trek fans? Their premise is up and space, flying around the galaxy shooting each other with lasers. This movie looks intense and Ethan Hawke is the man!

May 25 - 01:26 PM

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Uillceal Gwynlambth

It would make more sense if, instead of saying that one night of mayhem lowered crime and unemployment, that it was politically motivated for the have-nots to kill the have-stuffs. Or that it was a deal made with 'SATAN' to stave off the Apocalypse. Does the 'strange' the family saves end up being an angel from G-d?

May 31 - 07:47 PM

Mark Palmer

Mark Palmer

I think a lot of people are forgetting the fact that this is a movie. "Why would the government allow this?" They obviously would not, in real life, no matter what. So what? Enjoy the movie, and don't get caught up in the fact that it is not realistic. Many, many movies are not realistic at all. Yet they are still good.

May 24 - 11:14 PM

Chris Paquette

Chris Paquette

I'm too caught up in just how much damage one person, or a group, that is properly motivated could do in one night with no rules. Entire cities would be wiped out in seconds from nukes, and hours from poison, all across the country. A bunch of people running around with guns and knives is the least you would need to be worried about.

Jun 3 - 12:11 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

people don't have accesses to nukes Chris.

Jun 3 - 10:12 PM

Chase The Lost

Pardon me while I hit up my "nuke dealer."

Chris, what the fuck are you talking about?

Jun 4 - 07:47 AM

Chase The Lost

Guys, pardon me while I hit up my nuke dealer.

Jun 4 - 07:47 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

yr an idiot. if you are an artist, who spends years of his life, and millions of dollars, producing a movie, and never once thinks about what that movie MEANS, that would make that artist NOT an artist, and the second stupidest person in the world, just ahead of YOU.

Jun 10 - 09:15 AM

V G.

V G

I know it is a movie and not reality, but just because a government purge was mandated, what would then stop people from still committing crime the other 364 days of the year?

May 23 - 11:34 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Probably because they know that there will be a day when they can do whatever they want without the fear of getting caught.

May 25 - 12:03 PM

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Uillceal Gwynlambth

So repress it all for a year? Have you been to Chi-town of parts of Boston lately? Very poor impulse control. Those guys ain't waiting a day never mind 12 months. These kind of Purge could only be effective on your white collar type. And its it Purging yourself of violence or Purging the world [of your enemies] through violence?

May 31 - 07:50 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I really don't care. It's a fucking fictional movie.

Jun 4 - 01:45 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

No, I haven't ever been to Boston. And I really don't care about the validity of a fictional horror movie. I probably won't even get around to seeing it, anyways.

Jun 4 - 01:47 PM

Chase The Lost

Uillceal, have you noticed that this is only a movie or are you just a complete dimwit?

Jun 5 - 08:09 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Chase- yr an idiot. if you are an artist, who spends years of his life, and millions of dollars, producing a movie, and never once thinks about what that movie MEANS, that would make that artist NOT an artist, and the second stupidest person in the world, just ahead of YOU.

Jun 10 - 09:16 AM

Chase The Lost

Did anyone else notice that Daniel copied and pasted this post? I really hope se sees this one day. I want him to know that he truly is a piece of human garbage.

Jun 13 - 09:19 AM

Anthony Adams

Anthony Adams

The premise isn't too bad. In order to allow constant release in a crime-filled America, a new political party legalizes crime for a short time three times a year. Thus their 1% unemployment is preserved, and people don't worry about crime. They can do it all at once without much issue. Plus, good population control. Also: The Purge prevents any negative behaviour that would affect business. Thus, all neighborhoods are open for new businesses to arise and hire. Thus: Low unemployment. Is this so hard to get?

May 21 - 08:59 PM

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Why start a business only for it to get looted and razed to the ground 4 months later? Plus you'd be walking on eggshells with your customers all year wondering which is going to slice your throat.

May 31 - 07:53 PM

Pat ChalupaBatman

Pat ChalupaBatman

Oh noes a silly premise, well it's time to cross my arms and pout like a cunt then!

May 18 - 07:14 PM

Devan Seawood

Devan Seawood

Since when did fiction have to be realistic? Yes, applying the plot to modernized America would be far fetched to say the least, but it's a movie for God's sake. In a movie where they can tailor anything to fit the plot, this premise is brilliant. The trailer basically summed up how the premise worked. They let them 'purge' to let out the pent up frustration from not committing crimes throughout the rest of the year.

May 17 - 10:45 PM

Rocket

Rocket Raccoon

Because the rest of it seems realistic.

May 19 - 12:54 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Jun 10 - 09:17 AM

Cody C.

Cody Clark

Gee, maybe you should wait until the film comes out. Who knows, they may explain everything perfectly. A trailer isn't suppose to give everything away you know.

May 16 - 09:29 PM

Bill J.

Bill Johnson

Nearly ALL movies premises are ridiculous.
Especially in the fantasy, horror, scifi, thriller genres. (EX: Frankenstein, Jurassic Park, Terminator, the Matrix). Even the highly-rated, classics, massively popular ones, which are far more ridiculous than the Purge. Hell, even literary fiction adaptations are implausible and would never occur in real life in such melodramatic fashion.
Movies are an escape from realism. If you want realism, go read history books or science textbook.

May 15 - 06:46 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Ummm, there are scientists working right now on finding dino DNA well preserved enough to clone one. they've already done it with other animals. SkyNet already exists, if you haven't been paying attention. And no, Film is NOT na escape from reality. Study after study has proven that Movies have a greater impact on people's ideas of reality than their experience of reality itself! Its too bad that you are so blind to the programming they have done to your mind! If you aren't aware of it, you will never be able to undo it! So sad your existence is!!!

Jun 10 - 09:21 AM

Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

Go on to http://www.newfoundersamerica.org/ This is The Purge website and it gives you all the explanation, I give them a lot of credit for making this website too.
Also, I think that when you watch this movie, your not really supposed to think about those kind of things. Just enjoy it.

May 9 - 01:29 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Jun 10 - 09:22 AM

Anthony Felix

Anthony Felix

We have to give this a chance. There are plenty of movies out there with a ridiculous plot that has gotten a lot of positive reviews. Just like Meghan said, this could be use to freak us out if it actually does happen. I might go see it. They have to do some strong explaining to why crime is legal though. I know it's just a movie, but why?

Apr 22 - 10:09 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Probably because you cannot mask human nature, whatever the flaw is the person has.

Apr 30 - 03:42 PM

Tyler S.

Tyler Smith

Too weird for me. Maybe I'll miss out, but I doubt it.

Apr 21 - 05:30 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

i dont think you are missing anything. the movie is pure garbage, plain and simple.

Jun 10 - 09:23 AM

Jared Armijo

Jared Armijo

Its a movie...the plot may sound stupid, but they may execute it brilliantly. Now if they execute it poorly, then you'll have every right to complain.

Apr 20 - 05:09 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

they don't, and you will

Jun 10 - 09:23 AM

John Tyler

J *

Dude, it's just a movie. There's always some suspension of disbelief in movies.

Apr 19 - 07:01 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

But think of it this way: You have stupid characters in movies who would let "the purge" happen. Stupid characters I won't care about. So the idea is without even a reason other than this movie has horribly written characters.

May 28 - 07:10 AM

Michael Kavusak

Michael Kavusak

Your logic makes absolutely no sense. How are they stupid for letting the purge happen? Theyre a family of three, how the hell are they going to stop the purge from happening?

May 29 - 04:24 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

No, the question should be, WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY LETTING IT HAPPEN? GIVE US A REASON YOU DUMB FUCKS.

May 29 - 10:28 PM

John Tyler

J *

Maybe they might give a reason. Or maybe it should be ambiguous.

May 31 - 12:27 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

That's stupid. So it's "Oh let's let crimes be legal for 24 hours." "ok."
????

May 31 - 07:45 PM

Ian T.

Ian Trimble

I think the plot is ridiculous, but I read a great post that poses the idea. What If The Purge Was Real? Well Worth the read.

http://www.techcircuit.net/what-if-the-purge-was-real/

Apr 12 - 09:10 AM

Michael Butler

Michael Butler

I'll def. check this out.

Jun 23 - 11:28 AM

Meghan Carty

Meghan Carty

It's dystopian fiction. It's supposed to freak you out because of the slight possibility that it could actually happen. Other stories like The Handmaid's Tale also fit in that category.

Apr 11 - 06:16 PM

Noelephant Itis

Noelephant Itis

Margaret Atwood has said in many interviews and articles that every single thing in The Handmaid's Tale has happened or is currently happening somewhere in the world at some point in time. She did extensive, painstaking research. That's the difference between good speculative fiction and . . . well, whatever this is.

May 28 - 11:07 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

FOR FUCK SAKES IT'S SATIRE!Do you think Jonathan Swift did painstaking research for a Modest Proposal or Gulliver's Travels? No. He took what he saw in current society and exaggerated it, same as this movie. I'm not saying this will be a great movie, but for god sakes at least get it';s genre right. Also i like how you took one example of speculative fiction and ignored the process of many other writers who differ from Atwood. I swear the American viewing public has gotten a lot dumber.

Jun 1 - 12:54 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

Ok this Noel has sense too. Him, that Franz guy, maybe Roger are cool. the rest of you suck, and our dumb as doorknobs. Even dumb enough to quote the definition of satire and not realize that it doesn't apply to this movie in the least. Braindead.

Jun 10 - 08:51 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

you still haven't show why it doesn't apply to the basic premise

Jun 10 - 04:26 PM

Bryant Kaufman

Bryant Kaufman

Not going to lie, I agree. Seems like a ridiculous perversion of reality to me, satire or not.

Apr 11 - 04:12 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

That... that's what satire does...

Apr 15 - 11:57 AM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

OK, bryant, yr cool too. And Brian Harris how damn stupid are you? Its not satire in the least. What do you think its satirizing? How can you be so dumb to look up a definitions and STILL not understand what the word means? Get a grip.

Jun 10 - 08:53 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

please enlighten me as to what you think satire is?

Jun 10 - 03:14 PM

Michael Butler

Michael Butler

Satire actually doesn't distort our understanding of something in and of itself as much as it works overtime to show us why our own system of reasoning is so flawed.

Jun 23 - 11:30 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

sat·ire [sat-ahyuhr] Show IPA
noun
the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
a literary genre comprising such compositions.

Apr 10 - 09:00 PM

Chase The Lost

Isn't it amazing how some people don't understand what that is?

Apr 13 - 09:21 AM

Devan Seawood

Devan Seawood

Cole, the whole point is that it's supposed to be ironic. The primary sense of irony is that the nation is virtually crime-free, yet they simply let the nation run completely lawless for a night. It's contradictory. Also, the protagonists opt out of the 'purge' rather than going along, yet they end up trying to kill the man who was let inside the house.

I don't know how hard it could be to understand.

May 17 - 10:48 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

I don't get why the movie is satire based on the trailer

Apr 15 - 08:04 PM

Chase The Lost

Then you're either an idiot or you aren't paying attention.

Apr 16 - 06:50 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

No I actually don't see any. It's not comical and it doesn't seem to be commenting on anything.

Apr 18 - 05:59 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Satire isn't always comical, and it's commenting on the lengths we are willing to go to in order to create a "perfect" society (like the Patriot Act, for example)

Apr 19 - 04:47 PM

MacKenzi McNeely

MacKenzi McNeely

Beautiful comment is beautiful.

Apr 28 - 02:44 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

thank you

Jun 1 - 10:35 PM

Roger Breit

Roger Breit

From reviews I have read I am disinclined to believe this is satire as much as it is a simple home invasion flick with a clever answer to the perpetual home invasion flick problem,"why don't they just call the cops?" It isn't enough today for phone lines to get cut when every kid over 7 yoga has a cell phone and unlimited data plan.

May 14 - 07:04 PM

Mitchell Nash

Mitchell Nash

over 7 yoga

Jun 1 - 12:07 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Maybe. i got the general feel that the makers wanted to have a message, kind of like Night of the Living dead

Jun 1 - 10:36 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

NOT satire. How stupid are you? If its satire what exactly is it satirizing? And don't say "society"- what specifically is it satirizing in society? What specific comparable real world events in this Nation is it exaggerating to make a point? What is it? Really how dumb are you dude?

Jun 10 - 08:57 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

its satirizing are need for quick fix solutions to complicated problems, no matter the cost.

Jun 10 - 03:15 PM

Richard Hartman

Richard Hartman

What I don't understand is how this one night of violence per year allows us to have an unemployment rate of 1%. The idiocy just boggles.

Apr 10 - 07:37 AM

Devan Seawood

Devan Seawood

Are you really that dim? It was never said that 'because the country has a yearly purge, the country's employment is low'. The trailer was simply giving a narrow idea of the setting. It's meant to be in dystopian America, where employment rates are high. They may have said that the purge keeps crime low, but not employment.

May 17 - 10:51 PM

Raychill Hixson

Raychill Hixson

This. And if you think about it, there could be a correlation considering the fact that the best equipped people are going to be those who are better off financially and the most vulnerable and defenseless will be those who are poor, which would include many people who are already unemployed. This would result in a drop in unemployment.

May 22 - 05:54 PM

Daniel Coate

Daniel Coate

No. The wealthier people with something to lose would be the targets. This is so dumb.

Additionally, the people who know how to take care of themselves would be the safest. This is not the rich people who rely on their money to protect them. This is so dumb, And yall are idiots if you believe any of it. Really what the hell is wrong with this country?!?

Jun 10 - 09:01 AM

Chase The Lost

I wish I could be so cool as to whine and bitch about America on a movie review site.

Jun 13 - 09:20 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Again, you are over thinking it

Jun 1 - 12:49 PM

Sean Buel

Sean Buel

The movie has to explain why they are allowing this, either the opening scene or the second scene will show some sort of negotiation table where the high ups in Washington decide this is the best course of action. What I don't like is that the movie focuses on one family and one situation and of course stupid clown masks.

This is an incredible premise for a movie. If it were me I would create multiple story lines. Suburbia would only be one and it would involve multiple families and suspicious new neighbors. Another could be politicians and power struggle. Of course gang violence. The writers totally sold this concept short focusing on one family.

Save the money you pay high profile actors like Ethan Hawke and explore deeper in to great ideas this this concept. I will probably go see it just out of admiration for the creativity of the entire scenario, but if your best sell is a clown face sticking his head through a window then this will DEFINITELY be a bust.

Apr 9 - 06:45 AM

Chase The Lost

I completely agree with you, Sean. I would set this up from multiple vantage points that are similar to the styles shown in films such as The Signal. It appears as though the premise is fresh and satirical but with familiar selling points, and that's just a shame.

Apr 13 - 09:19 AM

Jackson Eckert

Jackson Eckert

It's one movie, not all five seasons of The Wire. Slow your roll, bro.

Apr 13 - 10:16 AM

Chase The Lost

Watch more movies.

Apr 13 - 10:27 AM

Frank DiRoma

Frank DiRoma

great point. The idea is great but they are def selling it short by focusing on one family. This movie will basically just be the strangers meets panic room with a better plot.

May 22 - 11:36 AM

Tanner Gray

Tanner Gray

Have you ever thought that they may have sequels?

May 26 - 12:55 AM

Darrell Pettis

Darrell Pettis

yes I agree it is set to go there. the premise requires some imagination we don't know what prevents people from killing during non purge time something that could be explored

Jun 7 - 08:53 PM

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Uillceal Gwynlambth

Agree. Much better as political suspense. Follow the night through a headquarters/war-room setting. And how do you turn this thing off after you let it loose? And again I wonder about the Sodom and Gommorha [spelling?] angle and the 3 angels visiting Lot and his family.

May 31 - 08:03 PM

Stephen Dhondt

Stephen Dhondt

If horror movies made sense or had any kind of logic they'd all be 10 minutes long. "Don't go into that creepy house or you'll die." - "OK" - the end. See? I agree that it's an absurd premise, but most horror films have absurd settings so I wouldn't lose sleep over it if I were you :)

Apr 9 - 03:45 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Sure, I mean movies like The Shining are full of mysteries and it makes them even better. But those are mainly supernatural elements that are unexplained. The unexplained premise is almost sic-fi like, and sci-fi movies do usually explain, like Looper for example. I'm sure there is one, but it's hard to see how it could be justified. I don't usually worry about realism but I just found this a little odd.

Apr 15 - 08:08 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

The Shining sucks.

May 28 - 07:08 AM

Natasha Overton

Natasha Overton

I actually think we will be out of luck, I don't think they will explain this in a intelligent way but will focus on violence and murder, which has been done before especially with the clown mask. I saw potential but this focus will ruin I think

Apr 8 - 07:49 PM

Justin Kimbler

Justin Kimbler

I would imagine that the movie is also going to explore philosophical elements thus making the premise there to carry a message along with the story.

Apr 8 - 06:26 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

That would be nice but it looks like just another horror movie to me. It doesn't seem like they'll be reaching very deep into philosophy.

Apr 15 - 08:06 PM

Tanya Garrigues

Tanya Garrigues

....it's a movie, don't think too hard about this, it is an interesting storyline, I can't wait for the movie to come out, hopefully they don't screw it up. You can't think common sense and realistic situations for all movies that isn't fun...no shit the government wouldn't allow it IN our time and day, not all movies are based on how we live our lives...

Apr 7 - 06:13 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Who cares ?

Apr 7 - 05:30 PM

John Tyler

J *

It takes place some time in the future.

Apr 7 - 11:08 AM

J'hon Williams

J'hon Williams

Maybe it's the old adage of do onto others. What will really save or destroy the movie is if the guy the daughter reached out to help is just easily influenced to do the right thing or if the guy is really someone who validated being saved. That is truly the morality issue at hand.

May 17 - 10:40 AM

Mitchell Nash

Mitchell Nash

That wasn't his daughter, that was his son... haha. I thought the same thing until later in the trailer.

Jun 1 - 12:02 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile