The Purge Reviews

August 11, 2013
another one of those dumb movies where people do the dumbest things imaginable in the face of danger. a lot of walking around the house staring scenes. really awful. acting is high school level. seems to have been written by a 13 year old based on other movies he saw.
January 16, 2015
Pretty intense at points, though the premise is definitely quite silly. I also should add that Max Burkholder plays an immensely stupid and annoying boy who will leave you pissed for the rest of the week after the movie ends. Adelaide Kane helps make up for it.
½ March 6, 2015
A very nice and very tense horror flick. Wins by the claustrophobic setting and original permisse.
½ May 10, 2015
The plot was good, but the screenplay and direction KILLED it!
½ May 2, 2015
Good idea, but never really pulled it off.
½ November 20, 2013
A fun movie, albeit predictable in it's stupidity. What's the point of the security system if you are just going to let strangers in ?
April 26, 2015
Just your generic home-invasion movie.
A rotten rating of 48%.
"An interesting premise is turned into a cliched and predictable home-invasion movie. Not as smart or original as it could have been."
½ April 26, 2015
What could've been an intelligent and thought provoking satire and exploration of the murderous creatures inside of every one of us, instead throws away the potential with gratuitous violence and cliches
½ April 25, 2015
The plot and setting was this film's weakness.
½ April 15, 2015
Interesting plot with completely unrealistic circumstances still makes this suspenseful film work. It kept up its intensity throughout its duration.
½ April 13, 2015
There's potential in the premise. But the movie is filled with unlikable, unrelatable and typically stupid horror decisions.

Any commentary on class or race is ham fisted at best. The only redemption comes in the form of some decent action in the final third of the movie.
April 13, 2015
A fascinating concept that is executed in the worst possible fashion
April 7, 2015
What begins as a unique depiction of the human condition turns into a boring, cliche-ridden home invasion horror movie. It's a shame, too, because Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey are very good in it.
March 30, 2015
a boring and forgettable movie.
June 25, 2013
When wealthy parents spoils their children, this is what will happen...their disobedient adolescent rebellious daughter who is having a sexual affair, also unmarried with a boy...who she well knew that her father was disapproving of him. So in a way the Father and Mother are the ones to be blamed. It's too bad that the daughter who really caused all this got away scott free and unharmed in this whole fiasco. This film should of had been better. I wouldn't be surprise if most of the audiences was rooting for the villains. What kind of parents are theses people of who allows their daughter to wonder around dress in the clothing attire fashion that she had on.
½ March 26, 2015
A silly, but not terrible (nor great) action/thriller. My biggest problem is that the villains were way too over the top for me to take them seriously. They were dressed in masks and did random things like swinging on an outdoor swing, riding piggyback on each other when breaking into the house, & skipping down the hallways of the house. I get they are supposed to be crazy, but I feel like most psychopaths aren't going to make it that easy to get themselves killed. If you break into a house with armed people inside, wouldn't you be at least a little cautious (unless you're Jason Voorhees or someone who can't really be killed)? I think the makers of this film just thought it would be disturbing to show them do things like this, but it took all the tension and credibility away from what could have been some scary and memorable villainous characters.

I'm going to get into some spoilers now, so if you don't want it spoiled, I suggest you stop reading now.

*SPOILERS*

The Bad Stuff: Turns out that the daughter's boyfriend sneaked in before the shutters were all in place and he tries to kill the father because he doesn't want his daughter to date that guy. They didn't really give any reason (that I can recall) as to why the dad doesn't like this guy. They mention something about him being older, but I don't think they gave any other reason. So the boyfriend tries to kill the father and fails miserably - gets himself killed. First of all, did he really think the daughter would stay with him if he killed her father? I mean, teenagers tend to be overzealous and sometimes stupid, but this was just dumb.

The villains with the masks were disposed of WAY too easily. Ethan Hawke's character had some minor close calls with them before being killed by the main villain. However, just after the main villain kills the father, a group of neighbors come in and kill all the masked people. Ridiculous, right? Well, it gets worse. The neighbors decide THEY are going to kill the rest of the family. The actors playing the neighbors are actually even bigger over actors than the ones playing the masked killers. They even recite a prayer or chant before attempting to kill the rest of the family, but the family is saved by the Bloody Stranger (which is the name in which his character is credited) that they had let in earlier.

The Good Stuff: The fight scene around the pool table between Ethan Hawke's character and two of the masked people was a very exciting fight scene.

Despite being over the top, the main masked villain is interesting to watch. If the tone of the movie had been a bit more serious and well-written, this could have been a very memorable character.

It was nice to see a thriller that didn't use jump scares at every turn. I think there was only a couple in this film. Many movies use this tactic ad nauseam and after 1 or 2 of them it begins to really annoy some of the audience. It was nice to see a movie where it wasn't constantly trying to scare you cheaply by startling you. Although, this was more of a thriller than a scary movie, so that's probably why.

In Summary: It was an interesting idea that could have been done better. While I didn't hate the movie, I just think it was way too silly for me to recommend it. I haven't seen the sequel(s) yet (there's one out so far, but another in the works as I'm writing this). However, this one showed enough potential that I'd be willing to give this franchise another try. However, if the second one proves to be the same quality or worse, I'll likely avoid any other future installments.
March 15, 2015
enough thrills to keep audiences interested for 90 minutes
½ March 15, 2015
Kind of silly, even though it seemed to have potential. Can be easily skipped.
March 13, 2015
The Purge sounds like an interesting concept and honestly that's what made me want to watch this movie in the first place however it becomes a very standard run of the mill horror movie that falls into that now very unimpressive sub-genre of horror called home invasion movies. The problem with movies like this is that the characters always act with little intelligence for the sake of plot progression and it happens here too. The actors add little to it which is a shame with Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey who can deliver the goods. It's a movie that may stick with you for a while after you watch it but only because you'll keep finding flaws well after it's finished. The main problem as I've mentioned though is that the movie can't utilise it's concept and I don't really know what the movie is trying to say, are you saying that all humans secretly have an urge to kill? If so, explore that by means other than presenting two-dimensional villains who like killing just because. Also the third act is a mess and the 'twist' ending is hardly unexpected and honestly I can be fooled prettily easily when it comes to twist endings. I'm surprised I have so much to say about this film but I think it's because the film is rather pretentious and is no way near as clever as it thinks it is. The Purge is a sloppily made horror movie with not much going for it and not a movie I would recommend.