• R, 1 hr. 39 min.

The Rambler Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

June 16, 2013
A nameless man is released from prison and hitchhikes across the West heading for a job at his brother's ranch, meeting a mummy-collecting professor who records people's dreams on VHS tape and other insane weirdos along the way. This is going to be marketed as a horror movie but you should go in looking at it as a black comedy; it's got the twisted humor of your sickest nightmares.
May 2, 2014
Calvin Reeder's "The Rambler" has plenty of effective and creepy moments and , more often than not, it is great to look at, but it is too crowded for its own good and unfortunately the pieces don't add up to anything refreshing. The last part might have not been that much of a problem if the film would have not been that abrupt.

There are plenty of David Lynch references, a bit too many for a film that has not been either written/directed or produced by David Lynch.

Overall, I can't say the result was impressive or even good, but it wasn't a complete waste either, not by far. I am just wondering how the movie would have turned out if it was better written.
bill s.
April 4, 2014
Just a shotgun splatter shot of a movie.....a bad acid trip on steroids.
February 15, 2014
One of the most underrated, saddest, scariest films of all time.
October 9, 2013
Grossly underrated (and just plain gross). The weirdest, stickiest most mindfuck of the Milwaukee Film Festival. Loved it!
September 27, 2013
This deserves negative stars. I enjoy horror, gore and strange plots but this was nothing to enjoy. One of the WORST movies I have ever seen. I was unable to turn it off because I kept thinking it would get better, that it would contain something worth it's production. I actually had to get up and walk the funk off after watching it. There is nothing redeeming or entertaining about this flick and I wouldn't suggest subjecting your mind to this torture. SKIP IT!!
July 9, 2013
Easily makes my top 5 worst movies I have ever seen list. Completely nonsensical and rambling. The horror elements make you feel like you are watching something from the 70s or 80s and are almost comical. It is frustratingly disjointed with no explanation as to various oddities encountered along the protagonist's journey. I counted about 5 laughs which is the only reason I would rate it slightly higher than my least favorite movie of all time, Upstream Color. How this can make it to Sundance is beyond me.
July 6, 2013
Horrible! This is not art. The writers are people who belong in prison or on death row. I cannot say enough bad about this psychotic load of cow dung. These people are the same people who you later find had dozens of dead children in their basement.
May 2, 2013
Quite possibly the most absurd and disgusting/disturbing film I've ever seen that had absolutely no point or too many to count. I don't even know how to begin to comment on the performances of the casting crew, as it was just one big "hot ass mess" as my Girlfriend would say. However, this film did give me one take away or one question that left me perplexed, disturbed and I'll guiltily admit intrigued; how in the hell could a writer create this ridiculous string of scenes and then stack upon each other? My initial instinct is to say, don't watch. But if you're brave, give it a peak and you and I can revel in the disgusting, vial, awful and yet intriguing nature of this film together. I assure you, it will be like nothing you have ever seen. Uhhh... dammit. Uhhh... 5/10.
June 27, 2013
If you like deranged movies...you are in for a real treat & if the taxi driver would have slapped the screaming injured gal with her own severed arm, I'd given it a 5 star!
June 27, 2013
Almost the worst movie I have ever seen. Do not waste your money or your time.
June 19, 2013
very nice movie, I watched it when I was really tired from work and it had a nice surrealistic edge. It's exactly how I experienced rhe couple of states I travelled, same weird people.
June 6, 2013
A dark, strange road movie that is absolutely insane yet eerily entertaining. Twin Peaks will seem as formalist as a Shakesperian stage play compared to this insanity of a movie.
April 18, 2013
The Rambler was a real midnight movie that was bewildering and psychedelic for the best and worst. A cult following certainly awaits this mind boggling blend of Horror, Dark Comedy and Road Movie.
April 12, 2013
I was among about 15 people who walked out of this movie at The Sarasota Film Festival. I give movies a lot of rope to hang themselves and this one hung itself; shot itself through the head and set itself on fire. Oh, wait, maybe I'm just flashing back to the stupid, meaningless images from the movie. Next time I want a similar experience I'll eat a raw egg with pieces of glass in it.