The River Why - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The River Why Reviews

September 3, 2013
I can handle slow moving movies, but this one went nowhere. If you are the outdoors type, this may appeal to you for the river scenes. For those who would actually like at least some kind of a plot or storyline, this will bore you to sleep. It almost did me in...not terrible, just super slow, and uneventful.
½ July 15, 2012
"I like the actors Zach Gilford, William Hurt, and Amber Heard. BUT this film did neither justice and I am having such a hard time understanding why they would take on such a boring plain film. It has absolutely nothing happening. The story is snooze worthy. I only picked because of the three actors I mentioned above, but I'm starting to rethink that whole idea of watching a movie just because you like the actor/acress. I can't for the life of me think of anything positive to say about the film other then if you like fishing, this might be a movie you can relate to or enjoy possibly."
½ August 2, 2011
A young man leaves his family to fish and pursue a woman.
This film immediately reminded me of A River Runs through It because both concern a transcendence one might feel from fishing, but whereas Robert Redford's film focuses on an entire family dynamic, the family issues are thinly developed and tangential to the protagonist trying to "discover himself." Obviously, fishing is central to this discovery, but equally important are the "uncatchable girl" and the dime store philosophy dispensed by his friend.
The film's weaknesses are fairly obvious, the undeveloped family dynamic (the great William Hurt is sorely under-used) and the pedestrian nature of the philosophical discussions, which the director probably thought wouldn't play well in film (an insult to the audience's intelligence). What comes instead of developing these elements are shots of nature being beautiful and Gus being wistful -- weak choices both. It's possible that these elements were fully explored in the book, which would imply that the source material might just not be filmable.
But I can't deny that the film had an effect on me. There is something oddly romantic about fishing as it is portrayed in this film and Redford's, but of course in reality the bugs and the dirtiness of the water and the hours of inaction would take all the romance away.
Overall, this film is for fishing aficionados, those who can, with the film, celebrate in the beauty of their sport and don't need to have a solid, well-constructed story to move the film along.
½ August 14, 2013
This is a movie with some truly amazing natural scenery. The story was a little slow, but overall this was worth a watch for the self-discovery of a young angler.
November 15, 2011
On Netflix, more than 270,000 viewers have rated this movie an average of 3.5 stars. That is about the same as iTunes and Amazon. I'm not sure why rotten tomatoes has it so wrong.
August 25, 2015
Really loved it!!! Good story, well acted, great characters....totally enjoyed every minute.
August 23, 2015
Great love story set in a beautiful location. Anyone who enjoys the outdoors and romance will enjoy this movie!
July 3, 2015
Lovely story, beautifully told. This is a gorgeous setting in which talented actors bring us a tale of the outdoors as well as the human internal landscape. Well done.
April 1, 2015
Amber Heard is a dime, but unfortunately this film isn't even worth that.
December 31, 2013
Nice coming of age story with fishing as it's central element, but used as a metaphor for a philosophic point of view. Beautiful scenery.
July 7, 2013
Well done if greatly streamlined adaptation of the book. Zach Gilford is fantastic as Gus.
April 23, 2011
So looking forward to this.
February 5, 2013
Should never have been made. What a disgrace to the book.
½ October 30, 2012
too long for this script and a bit boring
½ August 18, 2012
It's hard to ruin a story about fishing for me, but the acting is so bad in this film that I found every part of the film utterly unbelievable.
August 7, 2012
This got a 4-star rating on behalf of my husband...we rent a lot of films and randomly take chances at indies that may or may not be worth the time taken to watch them. But this was a really nice film. It was nice all the way through, and left you feeling reconciled with the world,of indie films and even life itself, in a way. Well, not wasn't THAT deep. However, The River Why is a nice story about a young man finding his way, his manhood, his soul's connection to God (too vague for my taste, but a good try), friendship, true love, and the value of family. It had some adventure, romance, and gorgeous cinematography. I am moving to Oregon. Bye.
July 25, 2012
Good movie from a great book. Not just fishing: good coming of age and love story as well. A must read
½ November 8, 2011
Sure you'll understand what they're getting at, but it won't have any impact on you because of how corny it is.
February 9, 2012
it's not a good movie, but my god, A.Heard makes every scene with herself a wonderful experience for the viewer.
½ December 27, 2011
This was a disgraceful film. It only vaguely followed the book. Why the makers of this film had to use Duncan's book against his wishes to make this awful piece of film is beyond me. This is total garbage! If you love the book, do yourself a favor and skip this film. Worst movie I have seen in a very long time.