The Sapphires - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sapphires Reviews

February 25, 2016
A cracking movie. Funny, painful, with great music and based on a true story to boot. Some nice vignettes of casual racism within the US forces in Vietnam. A tad too glittery in places, and with some mildly implausible battle scenes.
February 12, 2016
This movie contains a lot of things I hold dearly in my life. Music, history and a heartfelt movie of social injustice. I highly recommend it.
December 31, 2015
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ January 27, 2016
pretty good, and lots of great music.
January 10, 2016
Simmering and likeable comedy drama with a positive style and some decent tunes.
November 15, 2012
Okay. They were white in real life though.
½ January 3, 2016
Paint by the numbers pandering in all the laziest ways imaginable. Despite this, Chris O'Dowd makes the stretch endlessly charming.
August 20, 2013
Liked it much more at the 2nd watching tonight!!
January 1, 2016
Vastly under-rated movie. Great soundtrack and groovy performances. A gem
December 8, 2015
chris o'dowd sings sugar pie honey bunch so yknow
December 28, 2013
it's really awesome movie.
November 8, 2015
Pretty cheesy but they chose some good classic '60s musical numbers.
October 19, 2015
The comparison(s) to Bill Condon's Dreamgirls are inevitable. None the less, the story is strong and original. It tells a different story about how women people of color struggle on the opposite of the globe. The music and performances as actors work, too.
September 25, 2012
A great Aussie movie, the sapphires is all about continuing on, even when times are dark. A great cast, the only thing that brought this movie down was the unbelievable romances.
August 18, 2015
Is emotional. Funny. Well acted. I liked the story.
August 3, 2013
- 5th time watching it, and enjoyed just as much as the first. It's based on a true story and has a great script, great performances, and outstanding music. it's just a highly entertaining and enjoyable movie. Highest recommendation!

- watched yet again, love this movie!

-Have now watched it 3 times....enjoyed it a lot every time! Seek it out.

- Just watched this a 2nd time, and found it just as entertaining. Will likely make my top 10 of 2013. Give it a try!

- I really enjoyed this one. It stars Chris O'Dowd from "The IT Crowd" who always makes me laugh and is based on a true story. It follows a girl group of Aboriginals who go to Vietnam during the war to sing for the troops. The music is great and the films nicely balances humour and drama. Highly recommended!
½ July 31, 2015
I watched this film after my friend's recommendation and really didn't know what to expect and it totally blew my mind. It has got a great characters, incredibly beautiful music and much pleasant humor. The movie itself is quite meaningful, dealing with identity and racism. I was surprised that I had not even hear of it before.
½ July 24, 2015
Very entertaining film made ever better because of the magnetic Chris O'Dowd.
June 24, 2015
This is another Australian film I enjoyed. The others I like are; Strictly Ballroom, Shine, Opal Dream, and The World's Fastest Indian.
JDM
June 7, 2015
Very good, I had not been aware of the racism facing the aboriginals in Australia. A good news story.