The Sapphires - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sapphires Reviews

April 28, 2015
A great story to tell. The music is terrific and the girls have absolutely beautiful voices. Chris O'Dowd is, once again, adorable, as the Sapphires' manager. However, I agree with other assessments that the romance between Dave and Gail didn't quite feel right to me. I guess somebody had to hook up with somebody but it did feel forced and tacked-on.
Harlequin68
½ April 22, 2015
In 1968, sisters Cynthia(Miranda Tapsell), Gail(Deborah Mailman) and Julie(Jessica Mauboy) fail at a talent competition in Australia not due to their talent, but because of their being Aboriginal. However, that does not stop Dave Lovelace(Chris O'Dowd), the MC, from seeing their potential, even through the haze of his hangover. He even agrees to manage and coach them for a talent audition to entertain the troops in Vietnam, even after the sisters' parents' warnings about strange men and land wars in Asia. While in Melbourne for the audition, they look up Kay(Shari Sebbens), a cousin, who is wondering if hell is really endless Tupperware parties.

As annoying as Chris O'Dowd is, "The Sapphires" is still an entertaining movie, fueled by some great period music. As inspired as it is by a true story about a group of women finding their voices and places in the world, it tries to handle two difficult subjects, the awful treatment of the Aboriginal peoples of Australia and the Vietnam War, with some success but not with exactly the depth required. And maybe it is a case of too much deja vu with the later, but the movie does much better with its first half in Australia.
½ April 18, 2015
A very easy to swallow, sugar coated feel-good story.
May 17, 2013
This is not exactly a bad film, but I really intensely dislike films like this. The folks behind this film got as far as the idea of having four sassy, trash talking Aboriginal women to star in the film and pretty much stopped there. The plot is an utterly predictable string of cliches designed to generate sassy trash-talking and not much else. Chris O'Dowd, who I am usually quite fond of, is pretty awful here. He's coasting in a groove here, but so is the film, so who can really blame him.

Pet Peeve:

If you are going to make a film about musicians set in the past, make sure the music sounds like it actually came from the past. Nobody in the 1960s sang with the 21st century vocal stylings these women have.
February 26, 2015
I'm not going to lie-- I was charmed by this fun, feel-good film.
December 14, 2014
Fantastic movie! Loved it!
February 21, 2015
Good singing but rubbish acting and screenplay.
January 20, 2015
I like Chris O'Dowd...this story is ok, music decent, but nothing overly lasting.
September 27, 2013
This is a nice little film coming for Australia and it will undoubtedly entertain you while giving you this feel good type of vibe. The story follow the unusual itinerary of 4 aboriginal sisters and cousins who venture into Vietnam during the American war to perform as The Sapphires, a girl's band supposed to entertain the troops and cheer them up. Nicely executed , this film mixes many topics such as racism, the aboriginal condition, the stolen generation and war. It's all very light but it works and will keep you smiling all the way through. Nice story, nice movie, the acting is nice enough and the actresses are all very believable and have nice voices. Nice little entertaining film.
November 22, 2014
I can't believe we waited so long to see this fun, heartwarming, musically great movie! Me and my (very particular) husband highly recommend it!
½ November 13, 2014
Great story, great acting and entertaining as hell!
November 2, 2014
Nah! Not convincing at all.
½ October 4, 2014
Chris O'Dowd is a funny dude. The movie is satisfyingly entertaining.
½ February 27, 2013
Your typical, feel-good film festival fodder.
September 19, 2014
Fun, stereotypical, new music group in a prejudice era trying to be discovered movie.
July 26, 2014
Great feel-good movie!
½ September 4, 2014
The year is 1969. After meeting a charming Irish drunk at a small town talent competition, three aborigine sisters form a soul girl group with a girl from their childhood, enter and win a competition to entertain American troops in Vietnam.
During their tour they learn a great deal about each other and themselves. Relationships are formed and tested all to a cracking soul soundtrack.
The story may be well trodden, but the setting makes the racial subtext quite emotive and the talented cast make it a very likable and believable tale. An easy one to get swept up in and a joy to watch.
½ April 23, 2013
Thought it was very interesting. Based on a true story.
July 23, 2014
Solid movie, with some great music, Deborah mailman is fantastic
July 17, 2014
This is a fun lovable hard to hate movie. Its even better if you like 60's Motown music. I never get sick of those Australian accents. Besides a poorly done over the top war scene it was a good film.