The Secret of the Sword (1985) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Secret of the Sword (1985)

The Secret of the Sword (1985)

The Secret of the Sword

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Secret of the Sword Trailers & Photos

Movie Info

This sword-and-sorcery animated feature basically stars two "toys" -- She-Ra (voice of Melanie Britt) and He-Man (voice of John Erwin). Princess Adora has a special destiny -- to manifest as She-Ra and save Etheria from the really nasty Horde -- but she is not aware of her power-to-be. When Prince Adam (who is really He-Man) goes to Etheria to find the future She-Ra, his job is cut out for him -- or at least drawn out in standard animation but with added visual tricks that entertain the eye. He and She-Ra wreak havoc on the nasties, so violence is not absent -- just concentrated on the enemies. This feature was quickly followed by She-Ra: Princess of Power in 1986.more
Rating: G

as Queen Angella
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for The Secret of the Sword

Critic Reviews for The Secret of the Sword

All Critics (6) | Top Critics (4)

Though hardly a lost classic, the cartoon's irony-free approach and bizarre characters show why it resonates today.

Full Review… | May 5, 2006

New York Times

Full Review… | May 6, 2006
Chicago Reader
Top Critic

Classic '80s duo teams up in battles, bravery, friendship.

Full Review… | April 19, 2013
Common Sense Media

I was surprised to see that the movie was even better than I remembered. And though it's no longer my favorite, it endures as an affecting cinematic experience.

Full Review… | August 4, 2006
Arizona Daily Star

Audience Reviews for The Secret of the Sword

always loved the TV Shows of both He-Man & She-Ra cartoons when I was a kid, but for some strange reason, I actually never knew that this film existed back a year after I was born.

a classic, as far as I am concerned. love it.

I loved this as a kid, and I thought my kids might enjoy it. Watching it again, I thought it was really boring and apparently so did my kids.

This was up on Youtube as a "featured" video (I have no clue why), and I decided to watch it because it's been years upon years since I last saw anything He-Man related. Well, it was terrible. The animation was stiff and jarring. The dialogue was trite and dumb, and all the characters were imbicilic.

The Secret of the Sword Quotes

– Submitted by Alexandria W (3 years ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Secret of the Sword on our Movie forum!