The Sex of the Angels (El Sexo De Los Angeles) Reviews

December 27, 2014
Sexy interesting film
June 26, 2014
After being rescued from a mugging in Barcelona, Bruno begins to fall for his charismatic savior Rai. Thus begins a tale of confliction as Bruno must reconcile his feeling to Rai, to that of his long term girlfriend Carla.
It's a love story with a pan sexual twist. The script is a little flabby and the minor characters just seem to be there to buff out the tale and aren't given much to do this with.
Still though, the gorgeous cast are quite the distraction from this and it is beautifully shot.
½ November 19, 2013
SotA is a completely adolescent fantasy - any happy endings projected can only be expected to be temporary.
September 2, 2013
The second half is better than the first, but I really dug this movie. Especially the second part, when we see the realistic portrayal of this kind of love triangle. Maybe b/c I've been in some that I appreciate how realistically they're presented (read: not convenient, stale plot devices).
June 8, 2013
An interesting, intriguing film that explores the complicated and complex chemistry of three friends, 2 male and one female. It dares us and challenges us to open our minds to what the definition of love is. I personally found the sexual relationship between the three to be a beautiful story.
March 7, 2013
This was a fun movie.....that explores how 3 people all end up falling in love with each other. The 3 leads really did a great job acting wise, although I felt certain parts of the show were a bit underdeveloped, like Bruno falling for Rai in the earlier part of the movie. Oh don't be fooled by the name of the movie either, the movie wasn't all about sex, it had just a bit, and nothing really explicit either. Surprisingly one thing the movie lacked was a three way sex scene, it had one, it just wasn't shown, a bit odd, but say what, the director probably just left that one to our imaginations:)
½ March 1, 2013
A great foreign film that explores and deconstructs the levels of a relationship and what makes one work, as well as the aspects of sexuality and how superfluous it can be. Great acting and cinematography are somewhat marred by an ending that closes a little too neatly considering how the plot was leading to what would more than likely be a messy ending, but still a must see.
½ November 22, 2012
A 2-guys-and-1-girl comedy (with a modicum of kitschy dramatic tone), zeroing in on the pan-sexuality relationship conundrum happened in Barcelona, a modern tale smells like teen spirit from director Xavier Villaverde (a 10-year-absence since his last feature, THIRTEEN CHIMES, 2002).

The film kick-starts with a Hip-Hop routine performance and ends up in a casual and cozy dancing moment in the room with the three protagonist, the harmonious denouement maybe ephemeral since the trilogy linkage very likely falls apart when life goes on (a feeble solidification which counters the basic triangle axiom owing to human being‚(TM)s innate doubt and lust), but the film graphically proffers some sincere perception into the young generation‚(TM)s vintage point about love-romance (in alliance with the progression against homophobia discrimination), which is a further step over the rather stale coming-out melodrama during last one or two decades.

The three main actors are cleverly selected, Astrid Berg√®s-Frisbey (afresh from PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES 2011, 5/10) is much confident and versatile in her mother language; √?lvaro Cervantes has a killing charisma which could be perceived and indulged by both genders (complies with the character‚(TM)s ‚seducer‚?tag and his unorthodox but quite common pan-sexuality attitude - it is the particular individual who we fall for, it is nothing about gender). Lloren√ß Gonz√°lez, as the befuddled and jealousy boyfriend who has his immature trait but at least honest with his feelings. Pitifully besides that, other sidekicks are plainly foils without any distinctive antics to be remembered.

The film contains quite a few explicit sex scenes (between boy-girl, boy-boy and a three-way smooching near the end), may be a bit superfluous (beautifully shot though), and the plot has a sinuous redundancy of buzz-killing twist-and-turns, which could hinder the revelational message the film engages with. Personally I will give one thumb up to this film, simply because it is an innovative torrent of the genre and turns out be to a refreshingly uplifting adventure for the viewers (again sexuality is irrelevant here).

p.s: my Oscar race, Astrid and √?lvaro both enter my top 10 of leading actress and leading actor race respectively.
October 28, 2012
A nicely put together film that rolls along smoothly. The sexual play and exploration was fresh and felt alive. I left with a smile :-)
½ September 30, 2012
Roteiro sufocante, cortadas sem sentido, clich√™s desinteressantes. Atua√ß√Ķes ao n√≠vel da produ√ß√£o: imaturas. Nada mais entediante que assistir este filme por mais de 20 minutos.
½ September 14, 2012
A powerful script, smooth direction, brilliant acting and an honest inquiry into feelings, love, sex, intimacy and sharing