The Silent House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silent House Reviews

½ March 9, 2012
Very well made as a single long take, it impresses for the elegance and technique employed, but the script is just awful, with stupid characters, over-calculated chills (always forewarned by an intrusive score) and a ridiculous, illogical ending.
½ July 2, 2014
Slow to start and then the plot goes all over the place.
March 22, 2014
The idea of one continuous shot was gold, but it wasn't fashioned in an eminent manner. In fact, most of the time it just looked like poor acting. The atmosphere was fantastic, riddled with tension and suspense, but the ending failed to deliver. Yes, the movie did succeed in delivering a twist ending, but the twist was so fantastical and unrealistic, it was cringe-worthy. I am giving this movie 2 stars, only because of the fantastic idea behind it, and it's great atmosphere.
½ April 22, 2014
Pretty creepy, fantastic ending. I liked the continuous shot. It's not clear how old Laura is and if she is in any of the photos. Did a ghost possess her? Haunted house and ghost fans should be pleased.
½ January 24, 2014
A fun haunted house pop corner--creepy one shot flick!!
July 6, 2012
Saw this on a preview and wanting to watch it...is suppose to be a remake of "true events"
½ September 12, 2013
The whole movie is silent! It was so boring that they may as well just play the photos shown during the credits! That way we actually understand what the movie is about rather than wasting an hr or so! Terribly boring.
½ May 20, 2011
The Silent House was a film that I knew very little about before I watched it. I looked up the trailer and watched the wrong one. The film was remade by the states (Spanish flick) pretty well as soon as it was released. Well, this is one scenario where I think the film could be done better with a good second go around... though I still dug on this one to some levels. Said levels being mainly technical. First off, the camera work in this one is incredible. Was shot guerilla style and as one take. Hitchcock did something similar decades ago with his classic 'Rope'. Very cool idea there. Director Gustavo Hernández coupled that with some very moody atmosphere and creative shots (Dad's POV moment was awesome). The lighting in this was also striking. Most of the time is barely lit the actors and a few elements around them in that creepy house. Felt like Silent Hill (the game) in certain moments. On an acting standpoint, Florencia Colucci gave an intense and very well done performance. She basically had to carry the movie and I stayed on her side all the way. Even when her character wasn't the smartest, I rooted for her so kudos to her showing. With all this a haunting piano soundtrack, some nifty plot devices, and a pace that seemed like no time at all, and you get one worth owning? Moreless... Though the movie seemed put together, the story side of it needed someone to polish it right. The first half of the flick was supposed to be a haunting of sorts and while I can let stuff go on as to why characters stick around (to some levels) in those flicks; in this one is was insulting that the characters didn't even try to leave. Instead, they'd run around the house and try to figure things out that don't seem relevant in the least. If logitivity is your thing with horror flicks (it really shouldn't be) then stay far away from this one. Lastly, the ending, while interesting, didn't work. I don't know what the writers were smoking but they did to either make 'one last shock' or to excuse the silly character moves before it. Either way it didn't work. With all these complaints, there were still factors to The Silent House that I loved. The fact that I had to watch it a second time to get my real feelings toward it should say something. There's a lot of talent attached to this one, with some major 'F-U audience' moments. While I dug the movie, I look forward to seeing this one with another go-round. Maybe they got it right?
June 26, 2013
Questionable and not frightening in the least bit, "The Silent House" and director Gustavo Hernandez drop the ball with this lacking, wannabe thriller. Most of the time, when venturing back to see the original film that inspired the American remake, you find that it is far superior, but in this case, the American version is without a doubt more creepy and more spine-tingling than this unique, but wasted concept of the one long-take horror film. Florencia Colucci and the direction she is given is delivered at a snails pace and eventually lands on the scale of watching paint dry. There is no motivation and her emotions are all over the place, unbalanced, and unwarranted. The after credits sequence adds nothing to the film, and even at 79 minutes this film feels far too long. Never would I have guessed that the remake would be better, but upon a second viewing of the remake, I will certainly confirm this. Score one for America.
September 8, 2011
The Spanish have been leading the way in horror movies in recent years. Rec and the Orphanage are two examples of great horror's which makes it all the more disappointing that The Silent House is such a poor film. This the story of Laura and her dad , Wilson who are asked to do up an old house but it soon becomes clear that this is no ordinary house and that things are not what they seem. The best thing about this film is that it's only 80 minutes long. I don't know if i would have got to the end if it was a normal length film. This starts really well . It is suspenseful and has the feel of a Blare Witch type movie. There are very long scenes without breaking away , following the girl around this spooky house but then the film changes. It starts to become confused ( as i was) and far too clever for it's own good and instead of becoming a good old fashioned haunted house move it changes direction - for the worse. I was annoyed by this film because quite clearly it never had an ending to start with. The director snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory.
April 24, 2013
This is an alright movie. This is one of those times where the remake is really better than the original. Unfortunately, this movie just doesn't impact me as much. There were quite a few scares but other than that, the movie doesn't add as much depth as the remake did. I will say that the transformation of Laura was the best part. The acting was pretty good as well. Definitely worth it to watch.
March 29, 2013
A fantastically original concept and film style brings audiences into a house of pure horror in "The Silent House". Filmed all in one take, this film shows the true talent of the actors, director and camera crews. The film manages to scare audiences effectively and often and has a much deeper meaning than audiences can put together. Definitely one to catch!
March 22, 2013
I saw this movie but I still don'y know what the concept was. Did the dad molest her and the uncle watch
February 20, 2013
This movie sucked so bad that it would even make a blind, deaf, and mute person complain. I want back my hour spent watching this movie. If this movie doesn't put you to sleep, it will surely piss you off.
- Helen Keller
January 18, 2013
Jos tahdot tuhlata aikaasi, katso toki tama elokuva. Tasta olisi voinut jattaa 40 minuutin hiiviskelyt pimeassa talossa ja tiivistaa 20 minuuttiseksi, vaikka eihan elokuvan pituus paskaa juonta pelasta. Silent Housen hienous taitaa piilla siina etta se on kuvattu vain muutamalla otolla. En todellakaan suosittele ottamaan selvaa etta kuinka monella.
January 8, 2013
The movie completely rests on the shoulders of Florencia Colucci as she is the female lead and is in every frame of the movie. She is so good and her every expressions appears to be genuine.
December 1, 2012
good spanish thriller
½ December 26, 2011
In a similar fashion of the Spanish film [REC], this movie is extremely tense and scary, but with an ending that makes little sense. Nonetheless, it is a very solid haunted house story with jump-out-of-your-seat shocks.
½ October 21, 2012
It was semi-intentional that I watched this shortly after Hitchcock's Rope because like Rope, The Silent House appears as though it is shot in one continuous take. Hitchcock's limitation was the time in which he lived, he simply wasn't able to film for much longer than ten minutes in one continuous take. It seems as though The Silent House's claims are false as well, possibly due to the type of camera their modest budget afforded them. The cuts are well hidden, lighting being the most apparent mask so this can at least claim to have the appearance of a single take film. Either way this is a 'real-time' horror film and it thrives within the minimalist setting and production.

The camera work, in terms of movement, is inventive and consistently interesting. At various points we see the action reflected in a mirror or in one excellent sequence through the lens of a polaroid camera, only seeing light when the camera flashes. It makes for a nerve-wracking moment. In fact this is quite a scary film, it certainly ruffled me more than any film has done for a while. That said it isn't perfect, despite this being a very good horror film for the most part it is mainly about the atmosphere and production, there is very little in terms of plot and when the plot does begin to thicken things do start to fall apart a bit. In fact once you start to try to make sense of the plot or the characters actions it begins to look less impressive. It is best viewed simply as a low budget chiller which has some effective scares and a convincingly ominous atmosphere.
½ September 10, 2012
This is a great movie people on Flixster are just moron...Read this you goddamn stupid fucking "Super Reviewers" You are all Fucking Idiots.