The Sitter Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ April 13, 2014
The Sitter is a pretty bad comedy that just doesn't stand out. The way that the film is executed is using clichés and predictable storytelling. The film could really have been something funny and memorable, but it just fails in terms of effective comedic bits. Usually Jonah Hill is quite good, but here he's wasted on such a poorly made film. The film is nothing new and in terms of comedy, lacks anything that is truly funny. I didn't laugh one bit throughout the film, and I thought it was a poor attempt at comedy, and it failed to really entertain. If you're going to want a good comedy, you'll be disappointed by this film. Jonah Hill is wasted here, and he has made far better comedies than this. The film's biggest problem is that it relies on recycled ideas, and it waters down the jokes to a point where they're simply not funny. I was hoping that this was one of those underrated comedies, but it was not to be. This scraps the bottom of the barrel of screenwriting, and it's a film that's not worth investing your time in. Another thing I hated about the film was the fact that Sam Rockwell, who is one of my favorite actors, is also wasted here, and I wonder why he even accepted a role in such a pointless film. At least both Hill and Rockwell have standout filmographies, as this one is just a film that's forgettable among countless other great films that they have made. The Sitter is a poor comedy that just doesn't make you laugh, and it relies way too much on poorly constructed material that makes this film fail. Considering some of the talent involved, you'd expect this one to be mildly amusing, but it just is a train wreck that is not worth seeing.
January 7, 2014
An update on Adventures in Babysitting for a new generation, and no less watchable.
April 4, 2013
Gets off to a promising start, but ultimately gets less funny as it goes along. I really liked the little girl character - she is hilarious. The El Salvador boy is a little stereotyped as is the gay roller skater. Not bad light entertainment, but Superbad is a similar type of movie which did this better.
½ August 18, 2012
Sooooo bad.

Jonah Hill's a comedic gangster, but he can only do so much with such an awful script. "The Sitter" is, straight up, a piece of crap. So bad.

Probably the first 5 minutes of the film had slight chuckles here and there. Then the rest of the movie ensues and all you get is a dry, poorly written, and an awfully dull narrative. Nothing in this film works. You're not interested in any moment of the story. For such a simple and linear narrative, you need to have great comedic moments and "The Sitter" doesn't have any.

Don't watch this. It was a waste of my time. The only time you should go watch this is if you wanna invite someone just to piss that person off. Otherwise, screw this movie.
Japes
May 24, 2012
It seems like a funny movie, but it's not really ha ha funny. It's more stupid funny. And near the end it's not funny at all. The babysitter is like "it's okay to be gay dude" with the little kid and gives "just be yourself" like lectures to the little kids which was more sentimental and not funny. It didn't belong in the film. It got more serious and when I was watching I was like "this is not funny" and it wasn't. Not a good movie. It's one of those over the top crazy stupid comedies that is more stupid than hilarious.
½ June 14, 2012
I like Jonah Hill and his tubby antics, at first I didn't really dig him but he has definitely grown on me over time. I think he is good as a retro kind of comedian, he brings back memories of golden 80's comedies with lots of visual humour and cheeky dialog, bit like Kevin James.

I was hoping this would be the case for this newish film but it turns out to be a bit of a blank for me. It starts off so well, really good moments which did make me laugh out loud, when he gets introduced to the kids mainly as I recall.

The plot is totally unoriginal (no surprise there) but it has the promise of greatness, hints of possible classic setups which could be remembered for years to come...but alas!
I really don't wanna put this film down but it really could of been so good. After Hill's character leaves the gay crack den (oh yes) run by Rockwell it just goes down hill (no pun intended) with most of the laughs sucked away.

Your yearning for some really good hilarious stuff, you can see it just wanting to burst from the screen and slap you across the face. Maybe some John Candy type gold or Steve Martin type wackiness, Hill has the skills to do it but where is it here!?

The film becomes cumbersome and dull, too much swearing and too much emphasis on action/fighting type scenes instead of good comedy. Yes that can all work but it swamps Hill too much and doesn't allow him to really let fly, which I think he can do much better than here.

It wanted to be good but just feels flat and recycled, nothing to really make you come back for more. It is quite an obvious rip of a certain older flick (maybe its a remake/reboot?) but for once that doesn't matter as they chose the right lead for good belly laughs. I just don't think they knew how to utilize him properly.
YodaMasterJedi
December 13, 2011
three stars!
bbcfloridabound
½ May 22, 2012
Jonah Hill once again rises to the top in this adult comedy. About a college student who baby sits the next door kids, so his mom can go out on a date, the night holds many twist and turns. This is not a movie for those under the age of 17, and defiantly not a family night movie. But for adults 4 1/2 stars.
cosmo313
December 8, 2011
This is essentially a low brow, lowest common denominator rehash of Adventures in Babysitting, without all the dated charm. Not that that film was a masterpiece or anything, but it's at least likeable and doesn't seem nearly as forced or ridiculous as this dreck.

Jonah Hill breaks no new ground as a 20 something stay at home slacker who still relies on his mom named Noah. He gets roped into babysitting for three troublesome kids, and along the way gets talked into scoring some coke for his "girlfirend" who is only really using him. He sets out, with kids in tow to score the drugs, hoping to finally get some sexual reciprocation from the uncaring whore. Of course, things don't go as planned, and a madcap adventure ensues that sees Noah and the kids bonding and learning life lessons, and all that touchy feely crap.

It's a tired premise, with dull, painful execution. SOme of the sentimental stuff is actually not too bad, but it deserved to be in a much better movie. This film sucks, but it actually does have a few genuinely amusing moments. Unfortunately, there's a lot of jokes that just don't work, situations I don't buy, and some decently talented people wasting their abilities....

..namely Sam Rockwell as the chief antagonist drug dealer. It's such a weird performance. He does the menacing part great, but he's also annoyign at times, and it's a wildly uneven job he's doing. It's kinda like the drug scene from Boogie Nights, only played painfully campy and stupid. It's a dan shame too, because I initially thought that he would be the saving grace of the film, and, while he does help out some, he ultimately fails to make the film work as a whole. Hill is sleepwalking through this, and Max Records, who was great in Where the Wild Things Are, does decently enough, but like Rockwell, doesn't quite rescue the film.

Apparently when David Gordon Green directed Pineapple Express, he did it as a way of changing things up, and doing something different from what he'd been doing previously. That's fine, but it seems that he's decided to just stick with that kinda thing instead of returning to his old stomping grounds. That wouldn't be a problem if his post PE films (so far) have really sucked.

I pray that, no matter what type of film he decides to make that he pick himself up out of this slump of crap and go back to making something worthwhile.
½ December 9, 2011
As I was watching "The Sitter" I kept asking myself why I even bothered to waste my time. Jonah Hill plays an asshole teenager who's mother is going out for the night. He get's asked by his mother to babysit for her friends kids. There is one girl and two boys. The girl is highly influenced by pop culture, one of the boys "has issues," and the other has an obsession with blowing stuff up. Now, the fact that Jonah Hill's character has a girlfriend is the absolutely only reason for any of the events that occur. This is an exact representation of "The Adventures in Babysitting," but a raunchier and much dumber version. This is Jonah Hill's absolute worst career choice. I mean, I laughed a few times, but it was because it was either slapstick or the use of the word "fu&k." Those are two things that are very hard to "not" laugh at, even if it is very lame. I must say that "The Sitter" is one of the worst films of 2011 and I will never watch it again. It is poorly shot, poorly edited, and just downright offensive. Jonah Hill and Sam Rockwell should be ashamed of themselves. "The Sitter" has nothing good going for it and that can be seen during the first scene. Stay far away, and I don't think "The Adventure in Babysitting" is by any means great, but it is great compared to this!
October 13, 2010
A funny, vulgar, weird little comedy that made me laugh at times but still seemed a little too long, despite the fact that it lasted less than an hour and a half. Worth renting, but I doubt I'd buy it or watch it repeatedly.
LWOODS04
January 12, 2011
Cast: Jonah Hill, Max Records, Ari Graynor, J.B. Smoove, Sam Rockwell, Landry Bender, Kevin Hernandez, Kylie Bunbury, Method Man, D.W. Moffett, Dreama Walker, Jessica Hecht, Alex Wolff

Director: David Gordon Green

Summary: Jonah Hill stars in this giddy comedy about a student whose suspension from college leaves him available to baby-sit his mom's neighbors' children. The poor guy, however, has no idea what fate and the kids have in store for him.

My Thoughts: "I like raunchy goofy films. But when their done right. This isn't the right way. This movie falls flat of being funny, more annoying with all it's chliche's and annoying character's. A kid cursing or trying to act like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian isn't funny. It's tacky and tasteless. I expect better from Jonah, Sam, Ari, and David. The storyline has been used and abused so many times that if you are going to attempt it, make it original. Bring something fresh to the table. This is like a really bad version of Adeventures in Babysitting. I loved that movie. This was just a hot mess. Come on David Gordon Green! You are better then this!!!"
blkbomb
March 25, 2012
Gangster: You got some big ass balls, man.
Noah: Can't find underwear. Balls don't fit.

"Need a Sitter?"

Well a good movie The Sitter is not. It's a ridiculously wacky, over the top, raunchy comedy that doesn't create as many laughs as it needs to. But I still enjoyed it enough. It's ultrashort and doesn't overstay the little welcome it has. While the extent to which I liked it isn't incredibly high, I still seem to be in the minority of people who actually found any enjoyment from it.

The Sitter follows a crazy night when Noah agrees to babysit for three kids so his mother can go out and meet a new guy. The kids he is watching are pretty crazy. One has anxiety issues, one believes she's going to be a celebrity and is already acting like one, and the other loves blowing shit up. When Noah's "girlfriend" calls and tells him she wants to have sex with him, but he needs to pick up some blow on the way over, he drops everything and rushes around trying to get laid. He gets himself and the three children into a weird and dangerous situation with one of the silliest drug dealers I've ever seen played by Sam Rockwell in his weirdest role.

I'm a fan of David Gordon Green. I loved his Indie debut George Washington which has no similarities at all to the films he has been making lately . I loved Pineapple Express and I liked Your Highness much more than everyone else. The Sitter is definitely a step down for him, but I still don't think it's terrible. He has an eye for funny, if unoriginal, situations, and he always gets the most from his cast. I'm also a huge Jonah Hill fan and his performance in The Sitter, while not close to his funniest, is still pretty damn funny.

This isn't the next great comedy or anything like that. In ten years, no one will remember it. But it still has some appeal to it. Just don't expect a great film, but give it a try. Even if you don't like it, you're only going to have to invest an hour and fifteen minutes.
MANUGINO
½ November 9, 2011
Need a Sitter?

Not that bad. It was entertaining, that's all it was. I'll probably never watch it again but it was funny at times with some crazy stuff.

A college dropout becomes a babysitter to make some quick cash, and takes his three young charges on an epic urban adventure in this comedy from director David Gordon Green (George Washington, Pineapple Express). Noah (Jonah Hill) isn't a babysitter, but he'll do just about anything for a little extra cash in his wallet. Shortly after he's hired to look after three young children, though, Noah gets a call from his girlfriend promising sex in exchange for drugs. Desperate and horny, the irresponsible sitter packs his unsuspecting wards into the car and heads for the seedy part of town. Before Noah can think twice the whole night has gone to hell, and he's on the run from a pair of murderous drug dealers (Sam Rockwell and J.B. Smoove) with no qualms about shooting at small targets. Ari Graynor, Max Records, and Method Man co-star.
CloudStrife84
½ August 9, 2011
What would you do, if you were charged with babysitting three really weird and obnoxious kids? Well, you should probably refrain from going the Jonah Hill route - as in taking them on a nightly car trip to get some blow for your girlfriend. I'm not gonna spoil too much here, but let's just say that all hell breaks loose, as the pandemonious circumstances take one bad turn after another. Very random and over-the-top, there's not much of a plot to speak of, but it didn't really bother me that much as I had a good time throughout. Kind of like a spin-off with Hill's character in "Superbad", and almost as funny. It may be short of a McLovin to propel it into comedy greatness, but it does have quite the assembly of fun and eccentric characters. Funniest of all though are definitely the kids, with a really cute and talented performance from the endearing Landry Bender, whom I suspect we'll being seeing a lot more from in the near future. It was also a great plus with Sam Rockwell in the cast, who here plays a gangster boss, that Jonah and the kids comes in accidental conflict with. An underrated comedy romp, that despite some hit-and-miss jokes, had me significantly more entertained than I thought I would be.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
March 10, 2012
"Need a Sitter?"

A comedy about a college student on suspension who is coaxed into babysitting the kids next door, though he is fully unprepared for the wild night ahead of him.

REVIEW
Modern update of the 80's teen classic Adventures in Babysitting. This one is actually R rated and a little cruder and more vulgar with David Gordon Green (director of Pineapple Express and Your Highness) directing. We don't get a hot young female star in this one (like the original's youth fantasy girl Elizabeth Shue) but we do get Jonah Hill in a leading man role and he's just as capable and funny as ever. It was written by first time writers Brian Gatewood and Alessandro Tanaka and the overall result is pretty impressive, all things considering, but will never be as fondly remembered as the Elizabeth Shue classic.

Hill plays Noah Griffith, a suspended college student who lives with his mom (Jessica Hecht). As a favor to his single mother he agrees to take a babysitting job from his mother's friend Mrs. Pedulla (Erin Daniels). He of course finds himself in over his head with Pedulla's three troublesome kids and things get further complicated when Noah gets a call from his would-be girlfriend (Ari Graynor) wanting him to bring her drugs at a party. Hoping to get laid as a result Noah agrees to do her bidding, once again, and takes the kids with him to get drugs, which of course turns into more trouble from there on out.

The movie is very funny at times and surprisingly crude for a teen comedy. Green's directing is once again impressive and Hill and the other cast members are all more than adequate but the movie is also filled with cheesy uplifting drama (like every teen classic should be). The movie works for the most part and is a great throwback to the 80's classics it emulates. As far as babysitting adventures go we could have done a lot worse.
½ November 1, 2011
worst. babysitter. ever

Occasionally funny

I won't deny that I had a couple of laughs over this film, and I was constantly smiling. Although the plot is non-existent its a good film with a couple of good laughs and overall a really good time.

Noah (Hill) is a nothing-in-life college student who decides to repay his mom a favor a babysits for her to go out for one night. He babysits a group of strange kids are their night goes beyond wild.

First of all believe it or not the cast for this film is awesome. There is Jonah Hill who is always funny at what he does but here he really hits the note. Then there is Max Records who already nailed it in 'Where The Wild Things Are' and now does it again. There is also Sam Rockwell and the other kid actors that just contribute to this awesome funny little cast.

The story is fun and I constantly had a smile on my face, and although the plot doesn't have much to offer that really isn't a big deal because the true meaning of this movie is to watch Noah getting into some crazy stuff with these kids. I laughed a lot and had an awesome time watching this film. The soundtrack is also really good, so overall a fun and worth watching film for those who just wanna have fun.

Karl: "Can't buy underwear, balls don't fit."
DreamExtractor
½ December 22, 2011
The Sitter is a movie that I thought might be decent at first, but as I watched the movie I realized I have just spent my money on a waste of time and a movie that has brought Jonah Hill's career backwards, hopefully he will be remembered for films like Superbad and Moneyball and not this crap. The story follows Noah (Jonah Hill) who is hired to babysit three very weird children who have their own annoying or creepy traits, but soon he is invited to have sex with his girlfriend if he can get some drugs, but he takes the kids and soon begins a night of living hell that involves drugs, sex, criminals, and explosions that Noah will never forget. The plot was pretty boring and twisted if you ask me, the story really goes nowhere for 80 minutes and I was not really expecting much but even worse than the story was the characters, every single one just seems to be a complete and unlikeable asshole that I could not like no matter what, but overall it was just a bad story. The cast consists of many unknown actors and Jonah Hill and as you could tell from my reviews so far I did not enjoy their acting, mainly because I do not think they were really trying hard or they just knew from the script that the film would be a fop and most of them just said "what the hell, at least we're getting paid." Jonah Hill is not funny or original in his role, he plays every role he has done in almost every single comedy he has been in his career, nothing new and nothing he did was great, I will try to forget this mess up and remember him for his role in Moneyball for 2011. The comedy is of the film is just simply not good, even the young Mexican child just pissed me off and was not funny like at all and they just simply hoped ANOTHER film like this would be funny, and it truly was just not a funny movie and disappointed me on almost every level of comedy, it was not the worst comedy of the year however, that goes to Jack and Jill I think. The Sitter is an unoriginal, badly acted, and bad plotted story that almost completely failed, the only reason thing the film got right was that I want to give it credit that it did not lie what it was trying to be, it did not stray from being a really f#cked up babysitter movie no matter how bad it was, many movies with this kind of story stray from the main plot but this film kept to just being what it was, but other than that it was a failure of a film and I do not recommend it to anyone who wants a good comedy.
December 20, 2011
2011 is really the year of the R-rated comedy. "Horrible Bosses", "Bridesmaids", "Change Up", and "Bad Teacher" were all great, and now "The Sitter" has joined the club. This movie is all Jonah Hill and three crazy little kids. It's pretty much an updated, R rated "Adventures in Babysitting". Hell, they should have called it that. Drugs, prostitutes, exploding toilets, a lot goes wrong when you watch kids. Especially when one wants to be a socialite, one is manic depressive, and one likes to blow stuff up. Hill is very funny and has several great one liners. The kids are all fantastic and were casted perfectly. There's lots of profanity and other things that kids really shouldn't have any part of. But, it's all in good fun, and make for a hilarious movie. It runs at around 80 minutes, which is just about perfect. Any longer and I think the movie would have out ran it's welcome. In need of a laugh, then give it a watch.
½ December 20, 2011
With incredibly unlikeable characters and a predictable story, ''The Sitter'' is messy, gross, formulaic, lazy and mean-spirited.