The Son of No One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Son of No One Reviews

½ February 3, 2013
I've been clearing off my movie jammed dvrs the last couple weeks and finally got around to watching this. I wish I had just deleted it and not wasted the time. Channing Tatum stars as a rookie cop who is assigned to case in the neighborhood where he grew up, while harboring a secret that could destroy his career and family. The secret is given away at the beginning of the movie(well most of it), and by time the movie wraps up it had all been pretty predictable and very boring. With a cast also featuring Al Pacino, Ray Liotta, Tracey Morgan, and Katie Holmes, you would think this would be pretty good. But, it's a huge letdown. The story is very one dimensional and generic, and the acting is all pretty bad. You can tell these actors just showed up and gave little to no effort. It's easy to see why this was pretty much straight to video. There is so much better out there that this should just be skipped altogether. If you watch this for free like I did, you'll end up wanting your time back.
½ October 19, 2012
I liked it despite Ray Liota being in it. This isn't Tatum's best performance, but it wasn't his worst either. Plus, that moustache is kinda sexy.
½ November 13, 2011
I thought it was pretty good. Nice suspense with a superb cast.
April 13, 2011
Cast: Channing Tatum, Ray Liotta, Katie Holmes, Tracy Morgan, Juliette Binoche, Al Pacino, John Ransone, Jake Cherry, Brian Gilbert, Roger Guenveur Smith

Director: Dito Montiel

Summary: Channing Tatum stars as a young cop assigned to patrol his old Queens, N.Y., neighborhood, where he uncovers a dangerous secret about a long-unsolved murder.

My Thoughts: "What??? The question is, what is Al freaking Pachino doing in a crapper like this? Is he not being offered better roles? Was he being blackmailed by the Dito? Has he ran out of money? I don't understand??? The movie is just a mess. An whatever story with unfulfilled characters that no one gives a crap about. Who was the guy stealing Grandma's money? Was he related? Random crack head? Did I miss who the hell he was suppose to be? I don't know. I just think this movie was thrown together without much thought. It really suprises me that studios put money behind crap movies, like this one, thinking that a big name like Pachino will sell it. I was shocked to see Juliette Binoche in this as well. She and Pachino are too good for these types of films. End of rant!"
May 11, 2012
Writer/director Dito Montiel made a great debut in 2006 with the autobiographical "A Guide To Recognising Your Saints". He made good use of working class, New York locations and assembled an impressive cast. He does the same with this but the end result is far less satisfying.
Jonathan White (Channing Tatum) is a rookie cop who seemingly has the world on his shoulders. He is assigned to the same Precinct of his late father in the same district where he grew up as two unsolved murders from his childhood resurface. These murders may or may not involve him and/or retired Detective Charles Stanford (Al Pacino). Anonymous letters begin to appear from a person who claims to know the identity of the killer and Precinct Captain Marion Mathers (Ray Liotta) wants the case cleared up before it threatens the lives and careers of some possible corrupt cops.
Montiel approaches this with a real gritty realism and the film starts very positively. Name, after recognisable name, appear on the opening credits and the talented cast of excellent performers lead you to believe that this might be something quite special. This belief actually lasts for the first half hour or so, as Montiel builds the layers of his story and employs the use of flashbacks to do so. However, it reaches a point where you realise the film has no sense of urgency and that you're none the wiser as to what the hell is going on. This is not because the story is complicated but because the actions and behaviour of most the characters are frankly baffling. If Montiel had a coherent story to begin with, then he certainly doesn't know how to tell it. It, quite simply, doesn't make sense and the plot holes are insulting. I'd be revealing too much to go into detail but the denouement itself is absolutely ludicrous and you can't help but feel sorry for the actors. Even they have look of bewilderment. I often wonder what great actors see in a script and whether any of them even read this one? I can only assume that some of this film was lost on the cutting-room floor and that in script form it actually made sense because if it didn't, I think everyone involved (including Pacino) should take a sabbatical.
90 mins of unintelligible, inarticulate pap. After this and stinkers like "88 Minutes" and "Righteous Kill" it would seem that Al is losing his touch in recognising a good crime thriller. In fairness though, this might just come down to a bad case of editorial yips.
December 8, 2011
Serve. Protect. Lie.

Not a bad film. The story and script might not be the best you ever see but to me it was an interesting movie on which the end was the thing I was most eager to know. It had a very nice cast although Tatum's role could have been easily replace by someone else, this is not his style of acting, basically he's not that good of an actor right now. Don't expect alot from this film and you might like it.

A rookie cop is assigned to the 118 Precinct in the same district where he grew up. The Precinct Captain starts receiving letters about two unsolved murders that happened many years ago in the housing projects when the rookie cop was just a kid. These letters bring back bad memories and old secrets that begin to threaten his career and break up his family.
½ July 19, 2011
An explosive tour de force. A powerful and unforgettable movie. Director, Dito Montiel crafts another entertaining triumph. A work of superb craftsmanship from a very talented, grounded and brilliant filmmaker A gritty, intense, emotionally gripping and hard-edged police thriller. A tension-filled and suspense-packed film that hits you hard and stays with you long after its over. Some impressive and superb stuff. A raw and compelling film loaded with dramatic intensity and realism. It takes you in and knocks you out hard. A heart-pounding and exhilerating edge of your seat film that will leave you spellbound. A top-notch all-star cast who all are at their best giving powerhouse performances. Channing Tatum is riveting, he gives a strong and impressive performance that shines with his movie star calibur. Katie Holmes is powerful. Ray Liotta is electrifying. Tracy Morgan is outstanding. Al Pacino is brilliant.
November 25, 2012
Channing Tatum's performance is the best reason to check out this film. The film was so so. It needed a rewrite. It reminded me of movies like Brooklyn's Finest, Narc, and Sleepers. The opening scene of the film should have been the flashback murder. The structure is a little off, since the film goes back and fourth between the present and the flashbacks.

Acting wise, Pacino is good as usual. I feel like I have seen him play this role before. Same goes with Ray Liotta. Juliette Binoche and Katie Holmes provide solid supporting work here. Tracy Morgan is miscast as Vincent.

Dito Montiel did a much better job, directing wise, with A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints than this film.
½ March 24, 2012
Looking at the cast, one would think The Son of No One would be, at the very least, a competent police drama. Unfortunately, what it ends up being is a mess. The actors are all good, but poorly utilized. The script has its' moments, some good dialogue exchanges, but is unfocused, and often lazy. The directorial and editing style also largely undermine the film, with jarring flashbacks, and no real sense of time. Devoid of any real polish, Son of No One features has some good elements, but ultimately adds up to poor and familiar melodrama.

2.5/5 Stars
February 21, 2012
"The Son of No One" is a waste of time for you and for all of those involved. When a movie is headed up by Channing Tatum one can always expect that it might carry a slight wooden factor but here tatum is backed up by a supporting cast that includes Al Pacino, Ray Liotta, Katie Holmes, Tracy Morgan, and Juliette Binoche. Now each of those actors has clearly not always made the best choices in film and Binoche must have some kind of friendship with director Dito Montiel because if they read the script for the movie I watched this just doesn't make sense. The trailer looked at least intriguing if not a litle generic, but the story doesn't even seem coherent when each scene is strung together as a whole. In little moments we see hints of what could have been and this film actually contains one of Tatum's better performances but neither he nor any of his supporting players can elevate the lackluster material. I haven't seen any of Montiel's previous work but have heard his name and this film doesn't warrant the discussion or even why such a strong cast of talent would be so eager to work with him. Holmes literally does nothing here and Pacino and Liotta are so type cast it's not even funny. Morgan gives a nice turn as a tortured child who grew up to be mentally disfigured so to speak but in the end it comes down to the story and not only how bad the pacing and clarity of the storytelling was but how it moved us very little and that we didn't care about these characters going through what seemed like an extremely dramatic situation. There is a good cop drama hiding in here somewhere.
February 18, 2012
I picked Dito's Montiel, The son of No one, for the actors that were in it. Famous actors such as Al Pacino, Ray Liotta, Katie Holmes, Juliette Binoche and Channing Tatum, but even so all these people couldn't make this film feel good. It was bad, bad bad. Let start with the plot, which was boring as hell. There were some twists, but they were so slow and the mystery voice they included in was just ridiculous, making it so obvious who was calling, I could not believe they tried to make it feel like a mystery film. The ending was so disappointing.There were no real action in it. Some people got killed but it wasn't any real action. No suspense was built throughout the film even at the points of the killings..I am very disappointed. I rarely gave a film 1 star, but here I could not rate higher, not even for these actors. Trash.
½ January 23, 2011
The amount of screen talent that's wasted here is criminal. Son of No One's plot is dull and slow, and the problems the lead faced were unrealistic and never made any sense. Overall, don't waste your time on this.
November 10, 2014
A faulty premise holds this story back from the beginning. It is a shame to see when the storytelling technique, acting and direction are all clicking as they do here. It starts ambiguously, but clearly dark secrets from the past haunt a young New York City police officer, portrayed by Channing Tatum. An unknown source is tipping off a journalist aiming to expose the local police department's corruption. It is all very promising, but not entirely logical. The problem is that the past events do not make sense as form of political threat or blackmail, as the story implies. It affects multiple people, but the main plot device just does not seem to matter as much as it should. While events in the past have high stakes, the actual circumstances are mostly justifiable. It almost negates any dramatic consequence. Even worse, it cannot pull its illogical storyline together for a coherent and meaningful ending. It leaves the viewer wonder what the point is. The characters and their motives are just as fuzzy. Director Dito Montiel does a very good job at building the right mood. He tells the story in a deliberately paced dramatic fashion that only reveals a carefully crafted piece of the story at one time. Channing Tatum, Ray Liotta, and Al Pacino are all on their A-Game. Even Tracy Morgan is surprisingly skilled in a dramatic role as well. Nearly every great movie starts with a strong story or solid concept. This is a prime example of how it is virtually impossible to overcome a weak story, no matter how good the rest of the production and acting team is.
September 11, 2013
A grim sort of thriller that can be hard to follow. Shifts between time frames (present/past) make for confusing storytelling but strong acting performances carried the story forward and kept me interested. When the story finally comes together it makes sense and proves to be a reasonably effective story.
½ February 2, 2013
I'm tired of the white person coming out of a bad situation and brown folk end up blamed and dead. This movie pissed me off.
½ October 7, 2012
As thrillers go, the story wasn't bad but not compelling. Even with Pacino, not the greatest acting I've seen. If there's nothing else on, then go for it. Just to expect too much.
May 19, 2012
It really didn't make much sense. The supposedly cryptic phone calls where the main character didn't know who it was calling, I'm sorry but some people just have too recognizable of voices to get away with that sort of stuff. It doesn't really have a resolution either. The culperate kind of gets caught, but it's really random why they stop. The ending was just horrible.
March 15, 2012
Bland, dull and rather muddled, The Son of No One is a lackluster cop thriller starring Channing Tatum (The Vow, The Eagle, Dear John) as a JUST-post 9/11 cop in Brooklyn who is haunted by demons/memories of his past when a dark secret of his threatens to be revealed in a random NY daily written by a journalist (a miscast Juliette Binoche - The English Patient, Chocolat, Dan in Real Life) out to bring down cop corruption. Growing up in the projects on the outskirts of NYC, two boys encounter drugs, violence, sexual predators etc. -- one, Jonathan, escapes and becomes a cop (Tatum) and the other , Vincent, languishes there after a few stints in various psych wards (Tracy Morgan - "30 Rock", SNL, Cop Out). One of the problems with The Son of No One is that none of these characters are fully fleshed-out -- they aren't fully understandable. As for their haunting demons -- we aren't given enough of a background behind their actions to "get" what is actually going on (we SEE something but that isn't enough here). Helping Jonathan out as a child is Detective Stanford (Al Pacino - The Godfather, Scent of a Woman, Heat) who was the partner of Jonathan's deceased father. All of what happens in1986 has consequences that resurface 16 years later (the present time of the film) -- but there is no real impact as this feels like an empty shell. It is blank ammo -- there is a bang but no impact. I watched but didn't really care.
March 5, 2012
Two or three decent performances (Holmes, Pacino, Tatum) and an intriguing hook are about the only notable things here. The main story is soon forgotten in favor of a cover up of same, ironically. In fact, the 1986-plot, which tells what actually happened, is much more gripping and would have made a better movie if that was all it was instead of being thrown together with a "16 years later" thing. As for the cast, they are equally muddled. Tracy Morgan tries for a good dramatic debut, but thanks to the script he's reduced mainly to muttered whispers. Juliette Binoche is wasted as a supposedly crusading reporter, and Ray Liotta and Al Pacino are in normal-for-them cop mode, which is good for Pacinon but bad with Liotta. Channing Tatum tries for credibility as a cop -- and succeeds, to a point -- but for the most part all he is allowed to do is glare at people (with vvarying degrees of meanness) who won't tell him what's going on. Sadly, the biggest cast casualty is Katie Holmes, who appears in about fifteen to twenty minutes of the movie as Tatum's abandoned-in-favor-of-the-job wife. She does a terrific job, to be sure, but the actual impact her character has on events is so small that her presence is barely felt when she's offscreen. Music and location are all new York cop rote, and the ending offers no real surprises other than a burning desire for a better movie.
March 4, 2012
Creepy slow pace makes this film a complete bore. Dito Montiel set this film up very similar to his other film, "A Guide to Recognizing your Saints" which is another Channing Tatum flick. It's really amazing how Dito Montiel continues to get A list talent for his films.