RT on DVD: Frank Miller Talks The Spirit, Michel Gondry Releases New Music Video DVD

Plus, The Reader, horror pic Splinter, and the retro '80s Lost Collection hit shelves.

It's a light week for home video entertainment, but never fear -- RT on DVD is here! We'll kick things off with the biggest title of the week: Frank Miller's The Spirit, which had fans drooling with anticipation...until the stylized comic strip adaptation hit theaters. Better reviewed, but nonetheless controversial in its own right, is Kate Winslet's The Reader, which nabbed the British actress her first Academy Award but also drew the ire of critics thanks to its sensitive subject material. Horror fans will get a pleasant surprise with an indie creature feature (Splinter), while '80s enthusiasts should embrace a new eight-DVD set that combines the star power of Whoopi Goldberg, Drew Barrymore, and Jon Cryer (The Lost Collection). Fans of director Michel Gondry should check out his latest compilation of music videos and short films (Michel Gondry 2: More Videos). Finally, see if an overlooked science fiction flick holds up in High Def (The 13th Floor on Blu-ray).

The Spirit -- 14%

Frank Miller's first solo effort as a director (after co-directing Sin City with Robert Rodriguez) had fans both curious and hopeful, since the adaptation of the 1940s-era comic strip would mesh the celebrated style of Miller's mentor, Will Eisner, with his own. Unfortunately for everyone involved, Miller's treatment of the crime fighter known as The Spirit was widely panned by critics, who blasted its unintelligible plotting and ridiculous dialogue. That's too bad, since The Spirit -- like Sin City and 300 before it -- is a daring effort, setting a cast of real-life players against largely computer-generated environments to create a unique world, half-real and half-imagined; sadly, it's a brave choice that couldn't quite balance a hammy, atonal script. Give it a chance this week on DVD (or in glorious High Def on Blu-ray), if only to witness Miller's stylistic flair caress each and every one of his femme fatales (including Scarlett Johansson, Eva Mendes, Paz Vega, Sarah Paulson, and Jaime King). Below, watch an exclusive excerpt from the DVD feature "Miller on Miller," in which Frank Miller explains his attraction to black and white animation and noir storytelling.

Next: Kate Winslet in The Reader

Comments

red_wine

ankit jhunjhunwala

The Spirit looks good but is absolute and total ****. The movie is a new type of awful, honestly even if you buy the DVD, you can barely watch the entire film in 1 go from start to finish, you can watch certain sections but the entire film will cause you to have an epileptic seizure.

And Samuel Jackson gives 1 of the worst over-the-top performances in the history of cinema. How he failed to be nominated for the Razzie surprises me. The movie should have been considered too.

Apr 13 - 05:00 PM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

wow not much this week. i'll prolly rent the spirit. not much else though.

Apr 13 - 05:01 PM

daddio p.

daddio peevee

the reader is pretty good i would recommend it i am glad that kate winslet finally got an oscar for her acting performance she has proven her acting skills for a long time. The movie and her performance are incrediably good. I would have to say to avoid the spirit because its just bad really bad the story is well theirs no story the acting is awful scarlett johanson is miscast jackson is bad the spirit guy whoever he is is wack the only good thing about the movie would have to be eva mendes cuz she looked hot

Apr 13 - 05:57 PM

Filmguy450

Bobby LePire

"The Reader" was a terrible movie, because, seriously how is being illiterate worse than being an effing Nazi? Seriously, I did not get thew big hoopla as to why either character (hers or his), both of whom are amazingly self centered, did not just open their mouth, it makes no sense as to why she believes it's better for her to to branded than to admit the actual truth. Stupid as hell! Notably though, Kate Winslet's performance was amazing, too bad it was in a movie where every character is completely unlikable and dumb.

Apr 13 - 07:23 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I'm a fan of "The Spirit" comics, so I'm not seeing the film. Despite having SMOKING HOT women. "The Reader" dosen't exactly look like entertainment to me. But, I'll rent "Splinter".

Apr 13 - 06:24 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

If I may reiterate, the new Gondry compilation is pretty cool. Anyone interested?

Apr 13 - 06:28 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I'm game. I will keep my eyes and my mind open if I can find it.

Apr 14 - 12:19 AM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

After watching The Spirit, I can safely say that it will probably end up as one of those movies your pothead friend has lying around, so that when you come over to hang, he'll be all like "Dude, you absolutely HAVE to watch this! It will blow your mind!" None of it makes any sense. They throw in a bunch of objects from Greek mythology to try and make it make sense. Samuel L. Jackson changes costumes about fourteen times, from samurai to Nazi to Mexican hat dancer. And Big ***** from The Sopranos appears as a bunch of dumb clones. Your better off just skipping it altogether.

Apr 13 - 06:33 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Why is The Octopus a pimp?

Apr 13 - 07:03 PM

Bryan C.

Bryan Curtis

God awful movie. (pathos etc. was not played by Big *****, you half right though cause he was on The Sopranos as Skip Liprai)

Apr 13 - 08:42 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Why is The Octopus a pimp?

Apr 13 - 07:03 PM

John N.

John Nouel

Gondry is one of the best artist out there. Total inspiration for the indie "from video-clip" breed.

Apr 13 - 07:06 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

The Spirit is so bad, I cant wait to re-watch it listening to the audio commentary to see what Frank Miller was thinking.

Apr 13 - 07:19 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

I wonder if he thinks he was a cinematic prodigy when he made this. I'll have to find out.

Apr 13 - 07:58 PM

Filmguy450

Bobby LePire

Apr 13 - 07:23 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

I'm getting "Splinter" on Tuesday from Netflix. Hurray.

Also, I liked the 13th floor, but, I am sans Blu-Ray.

Apr 13 - 07:55 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Splinter is good. I saw it On Demand before it came out on theaters and I was entertained. You can tell it was fairly low-budget, though. Whenever someone is attacked, the camera shakes all over the place. Not quite Cloverfield-shaky, but the kind that makes it hard to focus. Anyone who's seen Feast probably probably knows what I'm talking about, because it's like the same thing.

About Michel Gondry, I think he's an interesting director, to say the least. I'm sure you've all heard of a little movie called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I've got Be Kind Rewind DVR'd, so as soon as I get free time I'll check it out.

Apr 13 - 08:37 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Apr 13 - 07:58 PM

nouseforaname

Jeremy Herring

The Spirit is probably the worst movie I've ever had the displeasure of watching in my life (and believe me, I've watched crap that would make your head spin). Hopefully Frank Miller is never near a director's chair again.

Apr 13 - 08:25 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Apr 13 - 08:37 PM

Bryan C.

Bryan Curtis

Apr 13 - 08:42 PM

Kilgannon

Angel Vazquez

Splinter was pretty awesome,definitely recommend it ;)

Apr 13 - 09:40 PM

thereign

lance berry

Was Miller high when he did the interview? Black and white films didn't flood you with color because they COULDN'T! They were IN black and white because color film hadn't been INVENTED yet! And why does he look like Freddy Krueger? Was The Spirit his own personal Nightmare on Elm Street he was bestowing to filmgoers everywhere?

Frank Miller can give up directing any time now, and I'll be just fine with that.

Also, Jen: Great piece, but the Spirit is not a "caped" crime fighter, as he doesn't wear a cape. That would be Batman, gorgeous. ;-)

Apr 13 - 11:57 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

thereign, you are too right. I think his tie distracted me and i had an unfortunate brain fart. Apologies. You're my hero (caped or not).

Apr 14 - 12:08 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Argh. Just left a comment that disappeared, but in short, it said thanks to thereign, for catching my brain fart! You're my hero.

Apr 14 - 12:10 AM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I'm game. I will keep my eyes and my mind open if I can find it.

Apr 14 - 12:19 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast