The Spirit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Spirit Reviews

½ April 29, 2016
This movie suffered from bad marketing. It was billed as the next Sin City. It isn't. Frank Miller does what he always does, find the heart of a Super Hero. For Batman that was the The Dark Knight Returns, for The Spirit that is slap stick comedy. Fans of the comics will realize this instantly. No that humor was intentional. Yes, the kitchen sink makes sense.
½ February 22, 2016
Cheeseballs, Who Wrote This....
December 13, 2015
The spirit himself was great, everything else sucked.
August 29, 2009
I'm putting myself out on a limb here. You may want to call in the boys at the funny farm to come and lock me up, but I really thought this movie was fun. The obvious comparison is (as with Sin City) to Dick Tracy but as well to Tim Burton's Batman. However it also has me nostalgic for all those movies that came out in the early and the mid 90's from the Shadow to the Crow. Now granted these movies were not all universally liked, partially due to the fact that, like their comic book source material, the films focused more on character, mood and theme, than on actual plot development. The formula was simple: charismatic villain squares off with the straight man vigilante who lurks in the shadows. The fun was all in the stylization of the story telling from elaborate film sets, fashionable costumes, quirky characters, a tinge of morbidness, sweeping music scores, and lots of gun play and fisticuffs. And voila that is exactly what you get in the Spirit. I always argued that with all the emphasis on style these films are the real art house movies and critics who focused solely on plot often miss the point.

Well one day my hope is that people's attitude changes towards films that just seek to have fun playing in the mean twisted (art designed) streets. But all the same I won't hold my breath.
½ September 23, 2015
Turned on the TV this morning and this, unfortunately, was on. What a piece of unwatchable garbage
½ September 10, 2015
Sam Jackson is one of my fave actors, but I just couldn't finish this movie. Terrible acting, terrible script, screw this movie.
½ June 14, 2015
The one film that could not be saved by Samuel L. Jackson's mere presence.
½ May 14, 2015
This is not so much a movie. it is a felony and Frank Miller should be charged and stop making these awful movies.
½ May 6, 2015
For all its attempts to be sincere, slick, and sexy at the same time, there is not a thing in The Spirit to enjoy.
April 1, 2015
Wow, this was terrible! Talk about putting the wrong tone into the wrong movie, is just mind boggling! What was Frank thinking when he was given the power to direct!?
½ February 11, 2015
Such a poor film trying to use the style of sin city and failing I cant believe Samuel l Jackson went for this.
May 23, 2010
For as great as this film looked, I was highly disappointed with the final product.
August 10, 2014
Gorgeous women and visual style don't help what is essentially a pathetic movie.
½ February 18, 2015
An unimaginative movie with flat acting, uninteresting story, weirdly unfunny physics and gags, dashed with octopus puns.
½ September 11, 2011
After working on "Robocop 3", Frank Miller was pretty jaded about the film industry. As a result he had no interest in allowing his baby (Sin City) to get adapted to the big screen. But Robert Rodriguez showed him not only could it be done, but it could be done really well. So Miller gets bit by the directing bug, and his first solo project is "The Spirit". "Sin City" was this great movie because it was a perfect adaptation of the original comics...its tone, style, characters, story...they were all direct adaptations. But this looks nothing like the original comic, it looks like "Sin City". The Octopus from the comics was a man only seen by his gloves, here he is seen so much and he is as over the top as you can imagine. The Spirit himself was just a regular guy fighting the good fight, here he has the superpower of healing and came back from the dead. This is very different from the comic it was adapting, and as a result it is pretty terrible. The funny thing is Frank Miller was once quoted as saying something about how much a movie suffers the further it gets from the source material. He proved his theory right here. The acting is bad, the movie's plot is completely unintelligible, and the movie wasn't nearly as much fun, or even as smart, as it would have liked to pretend it was.
½ January 21, 2015
It works as a ridiculously over the top parody of superhero movies, something that's welcome nowadays, where there seems to be a new Superhero movie every other month.

Still, it'd be lying to say it wasn't trying to be a superhero movie in its own right, and at that, it failed, spectacularly. Also, although it works as a parody, that's not really what the source material intended.

Still, I think it's better than average for movies similar to its type (Dick Tracy, Scott Pilgrim, Sin City, etc), and worth it for Samuel Jackson and Scarlet Johansson alone, who steal every scene they're in.
January 24, 2011
Frank Miller attempts to give us another Sin City but instead gives us a horribly written, silly, and just plain boring movie that adds nothing new to the genre.
January 5, 2015
This movie is totally AWESOME, hilarious, sexy, and fun! A solid cult classic that people will be talking about long after everyone has long forgotten (blockbuster) trash like Avatar and those boooring batman movies. It seriously has Big Lebowski staying power. High time for a sequel. There is plenty of great source material...Spirit in space?
½ December 20, 2008
What a piece of shit. It's amazing that the supporting ladies and Samuel L. Jackson's career stayed in tact, but Gabriel Macht had to get the short end of the stick because of Frank Miller's poor direction.