The Spirit Reviews

½ June 14, 2015
The one film that could not be saved by Samuel L. Jackson's mere presence.
½ May 14, 2015
This is not so much a movie. it is a felony and Frank Miller should be charged and stop making these awful movies.
½ May 6, 2015
For all its attempts to be sincere, slick, and sexy at the same time, there is not a thing in The Spirit to enjoy.
½ February 11, 2015
Such a poor film trying to use the style of sin city and failing I cant believe Samuel l Jackson went for this.
May 23, 2010
For as great as this film looked, I was highly disappointed with the final product.
August 10, 2014
Gorgeous women and visual style don't help what is essentially a pathetic movie.
½ February 18, 2015
An unimaginative movie with flat acting, uninteresting story, weirdly unfunny physics and gags, dashed with octopus puns.
½ September 11, 2011
After working on "Robocop 3", Frank Miller was pretty jaded about the film industry. As a result he had no interest in allowing his baby (Sin City) to get adapted to the big screen. But Robert Rodriguez showed him not only could it be done, but it could be done really well. So Miller gets bit by the directing bug, and his first solo project is "The Spirit". "Sin City" was this great movie because it was a perfect adaptation of the original comics...its tone, style, characters, story...they were all direct adaptations. But this looks nothing like the original comic, it looks like "Sin City". The Octopus from the comics was a man only seen by his gloves, here he is seen so much and he is as over the top as you can imagine. The Spirit himself was just a regular guy fighting the good fight, here he has the superpower of healing and came back from the dead. This is very different from the comic it was adapting, and as a result it is pretty terrible. The funny thing is Frank Miller was once quoted as saying something about how much a movie suffers the further it gets from the source material. He proved his theory right here. The acting is bad, the movie's plot is completely unintelligible, and the movie wasn't nearly as much fun, or even as smart, as it would have liked to pretend it was.
½ January 21, 2015
It works as a ridiculously over the top parody of superhero movies, something that's welcome nowadays, where there seems to be a new Superhero movie every other month.

Still, it'd be lying to say it wasn't trying to be a superhero movie in its own right, and at that, it failed, spectacularly. Also, although it works as a parody, that's not really what the source material intended.

Still, I think it's better than average for movies similar to its type (Dick Tracy, Scott Pilgrim, Sin City, etc), and worth it for Samuel Jackson and Scarlet Johansson alone, who steal every scene they're in.
January 24, 2011
Frank Miller attempts to give us another Sin City but instead gives us a horribly written, silly, and just plain boring movie that adds nothing new to the genre.
January 5, 2015
This movie is totally AWESOME, hilarious, sexy, and fun! A solid cult classic that people will be talking about long after everyone has long forgotten (blockbuster) trash like Avatar and those boooring batman movies. It seriously has Big Lebowski staying power. High time for a sequel. There is plenty of great source material...Spirit in space?
Robbanflix
April 4, 2009
A movie based from the comic book "The Spirit" a hero fighting the crime. A pretty dark movie and reminds me of Sin City / Batman in a way. It has action / fantasy and a bit of comedy style aswell. There are a few famous faces like Samuel L Jackson , Scarlett Johansson and Eva Mendes. The movie are very well made and its visually stunning with nice dark enviroments. Story on average level , could have been better and more action. In the end its a decent movie for this genre. It can't compete with the big movies but well worth a closer look.
December 24, 2014
Stylish and flashy. Need I say more. Not much to talk about here but boy was it fun. The story is all over the place and so are the characters but that is just part of this film's charm.
½ January 8, 2009
Back in 2005 Frank Miller hit the big time (in the movie world) with 'Sin City', a lavish living graphic novel with lush visuals. So clearly not one for sitting on his new found success he went ahead and made another living graphic novel which utilised the exact same visual style. Now one the one hand it worked because like 'Sin City' the film looked terrific, on the other hand it basically felt like a poor sequel of sorts to that better movie.

The Spirit is another typically suave suit wearing crime fighter very much in the same vein as The Shadow, that now cliched 30's/40's pulp comic/novel type avenger. Apparently his nemesis The Octopus created a serum that could grant people immortality, and he tried it on murdered police officer Denny Colt (The Spirit). Colt then somehow escapes The Octopus and for some reason decides to fight crime in his city, Central City, now that he is invincible. The Octopus now needs the blood of Hercules (called Heracles for some reason) to perfect his serum so he can use it...I think.

The main problem with this movie being the plot and characters. The plot is...is...I honesty have no real idea what the hell was going on with this plot. Something about The Octopus trying to get a hold of these two trunks, as is sexy femme fatale Sand Saref, one containing the blood of Hercules and the other the Golden Fleece...eh? The entire movie is really quite a mess and didn't make much sense to me. The Spirit is suppose to be immortal I think, he can regenerate after being injured, yet he keeps having near death experiences and nearly dies on a few occasions. He does come across as quite vulnerable to be frank and has these dreams where the Angel of Death taunts him presumably because he escaped her grasp...its weird. At one point Colt wears body armour too, I guess this is too limit damage because it takes time to regenerate? I'm still not entirely sure why The Octopus wants this special blood seeing as his serum worked pretty well on Colt, and I don't know how the Golden Fleece fits into all this either truth be told.

After reading up about this character I can see why many fans didn't like it and why it bombed. The movie is completely different from the original source material in virtually every aspect. The Spirit has a sidekick in the comics, The Octopus doesn't bring Colt back and you never see The Octopus in the comics, they could have done that easily so I dunno why they went with Jackson like they did. On top of that the plot is so convoluted and never really explains itself as far as I can recall.

Other issues that spring to mind would be the simple fact this character is way too similar to other shadowy heroes. For any viewer who isn't a fanboy of the comic and knows nothing (like me) then this will all look very familiar and very dated. The whole facet of the character has been done many times, hell even his look has been done to death (The Shadow, Darkman). Running around from shadow to shadow in a dark crime ridden city full of seedy dark alleyways isn't anything new. This hero even has a police chief on his side who is the only person to know his secret identity...oh geez! Admittedly this character does date back to the 40's and back then this kind of stuff was fresh, but even so The Shadow had been around since the 30's so its easy to see where the inspiration came from. Unfortunately this movie just came along too late and has lost out, beaten to the punch by various other similar characters.

Of course the film looks good no one is gonna dispute that. That classic detective crime genre soaked in heavy film noir visuals that have been amped up with the same use of digital backgrounds/foregrounds we all saw and fell in love with in 'Sin City'. As I've already said these two movies are visually identical with their colour palette and stark images. Thick blacks, thick whites, bold lines, lots of angles, inverted colours and images and the slight hint of colour on certain objects like The Spirits bold red tie. To watch and show off your new bluray player with...its the business, but again you could say its been done already with Miller's last flick.

The cast are a poor choice right across the board with the exception of Dan Lauria as the hard nosed gruff Commissioner and honesty Macht isn't too bad as The Spirit, he looks good in the role. Again I firmly believe Jackson was cast purely because he's a big name and will attract a wide audience despite the fact he just doesn't fit the role. I will say the same for Johansson too...yep that's right, too many movies suffer this fate these days and Jackson is the biggest culprit.

You kinda get the impression Miller was just riding on the coattails of his previous big success to be honest. Thinking that everybody would lap this up purely because it looked like 'Sin City' and that's all it needed to succeed. To a degree he was right, these visuals are delicious and I'd like to see more and this film is really nice to look at...its just everything else. It pains me to say but this is one of those films that I really wanted to enjoy but I just couldn't. If it wasn't for the fact it looks so good it would have been a complete write off.
November 21, 2014
Seriously dumb... but fun.
½ October 23, 2008
Looks interesting but i'll wait for it to come on DVD
October 10, 2014
Regardless of the Plot, Gabriel Macht did an awesome job. He should be a leading man more. Saw him too in Because I said so. Who wouldn't be addicted to him.!!!
September 25, 2014
En serio Frank Miller dirigiķ esta cosa?
Personajes Nada interesantes, La trama se la sabe hasta mi vecinito, y Los dialogos horrendos (lo peor de la peli), pero contiene escenas de accion llamativas y un estilo visual muy adecuado.
El pecado: Adaptar un Comic de los aņos 40's con toques actuales, haciendo que la pelicula no tenga una trama clara y concreta.
September 25, 2014
FAR from Sin City, but I actually liked this movie. It's not that great or anything, but I did enjoy it. The hate is warranted because this film has a fair amount of issues, however I think the hate is a bit excessive. Overall, I had a pretty good time with The Spirit. It's certainly top-notch from a visual standpoint.