The Starving Games Reviews

Nate Z.
December 9, 2013
I feel like lambasting the duo of Friedberg and Seltzer has gotten to the point of beating a dead horse. I've been railing against their misbegotten sense of comedy (really just pointless and soon-to-be-dated pop-culture references) for years, declaring three of their terrible spoof movies as my worst film of that year. There is no love lost between me and these two men, and yet I feel the sense to restrain my ire when it comes to their latest, The Starving Games. It's another witless comedy caper, this time using the popular Hunger Games series as its skeleton to hang its desperate jokes upon. These guys don't know what parody is, don't know the particulars of comedy and how to build and payoff a joke. It's the same pattern of ineptitude that will never change. Yet while sitting through all 80 laborious minutes of Starving Games, I felt like Friedberg and Seltzer have come to the realization that the end is nigh for their spoof careers. This last movie didn't get a theatrical release and the production values look chintzy even for them. They used to crank these lousy films out one a year; hell, in 2008 they gave us two. Now they've released two in the last five years. Usually they'll pack a celebrity or, barring that, MadTV alums. Even those are absent. That's right, even this movie couldn't snag a MadTV alum or D-list celeb. Perhaps, as I'd long prayed, the public has grown sour on Friedberg and Seltzer's misunderstanding of comedy and matured enough to realize that pointless references are not the same as parody. In all fairness, I did laugh two times in The Starving Games, both related to Diedrich Bader as President Snowballs. The lead actress, Maiara Walsh, displays a lot of potential. She's a good comic actress, has a tremendous smile, a memorable face, and sturdy poise to slough through this mess. She deserves a better movie and more opportunities.

At this point, you know what you're getting with Friedberg and Seltzer, and that's all you're going to get. However, I just looked online and discovered they have two movies scheduled for release next year, one a Fast and Furious parody (goody), and the other an honest to God spoof-free straight comedy. I'll be fascinated to see what these two have to offer when it comes to non-spoof comedy, but their background fills me with equal parts dread and derisive excitement. Hey, it can't be worse than InAPPropriate Comedy, could it?

Nate's Grade: D
Frisby2007
July 11, 2013
The fact that Paul Walker died & these idiots are still alive is further proof that God doesn't exist.

The only starving there is are the STARVING kids in Africa, & these fucktards are still getting money to make these so-called 'movies'! And after the success of "Vampires Sucks" thanks to all the idiots who paid to go see it, Seltzer & Freidberg will still continue their brain damaging assaults of this garbage.

And go ahead, try & throw in the "You're taking a movie that only tries to get cheap laughs too seriously" or "Grow up & get a freakin' sense of humor!!!!1111!!" or "You're only hating this because it's making fun of that abomination Hunger Games movie!!!111" cards at me; it will only tell me that the people who are actually trying to defend these guys & their atrocious films are nothing but absolute retards.

I HAVE a sense of humor, whereas anyone who defends these films with ANY excuse has about as much a sense a humor as Justin Bieber has brains. These aren't comedy, let alone films. Comedy requires satire, wit, HUMOR, sense, & good writing; none of which these fucktards' films has. Their films will only impress attention-deprived retards with no taste (like my sibling). It's all the same recycled shit from their other films, & if one continues to try to defend them then it's obvious they have no say on the subject of comedy, much less a say at all.

"Ohhh, look it's *Insert name of character from one movie*!" Said character later gets a cow dropped on him. "Hi I'm *Name* from *Movie*!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!" Later gets hit or killed by a cheap weapon. If that's someone idea of funny then the world should just start killing themselves.

What's worse is that these two fuck buddies are STILL going to shit out TWO MORE "films". A Fast & Furious one (like that was unexpected), & the still upcoming "spoof" of James Cameron's Avatar "The Greatest Movie of All Time in 3D".
Cinema-Maniac
½ November 25, 2013
At this point among filmdom (or whatever you choose call it film planet, film world, film committee, etc.) it's common knowledge to avoid anything by the duo of Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg. These two greatest contribution to cinema have always the years they didn't release a film. Unfortunately at this point in these the duo along with the people giving them jobs refuse to use their brains make a competent comedy.

The Starving Game is about Kantmiss Evershot fighting for her life in the 75th annual Starving Games. Like the duo previous films its plagues with the same issues; outdated film references, no comedic consequences, no pacing, non existence plot, absent of characters, to stupid to make fun of, beating a dead horse with every joke, and wasting the audience time. That's the whole film in a nutshell, but where it fails the most is being a basic parody of "The Hunger Games". It does not understand the definition of the word parody. That would have been asking to much from the writers who predict Lady Gaga will become president in the future. Instead of poking fun the film "shaky cam" by simply having a film crew capturing the action why not make a semi-political allegory on the Hollywood system downgrading intellectual properties. Then again, asking for actual minimal effort from the writers that only use "The Expendables" and "The Avengers" as throwaway gags instead of actual participants is a bit too much to expect. Now that I think about it that would have been a whole lot better, but who am I to judge the brilliance of movie where Kantmiss missing Peter as a giant cake next to her in the middle of the woods. Well to the writers credit they did copy the stupidity of that scene from the actual movie...though that's not a good thing either since it had no punch line in its delivery. Much like the film structure it seems my brains cells were not present in this paragraph.

Narratively how does it all play out? If you seen "The Hunger Games" try to imagine the same plot points only brain dead slowly killing your brain cells being filled with unfunny overused jokes. Kantmiss offers herself to participate in the Starving Games (although everyone looks well fed, another miss point to satirize), Kantmiss faking her romance with Peter, underdeveloped little girl who helps Kantmiss gets kicked to death (let that sink in), underdeveloped romance, Kantmiss and Peter in a standoff finale. Talk about being uncreative stealing directly from the source material this duo is "satirizing". I will admit this film did make me laugh one time with a fake commercial for a hamburger (a mixture of pizza, ice cream, buns, vegetables, and other things). However, that joke is soon forgotten when M.I.A. appearce play the earrape known as "Sexy and I Know It" and the I don't understand humanity anymore popularity of Gangnam Style being killed off. Not that these musical references (including Taylor Swift) have no comedic purpose other than being completely superficial to the film just like its creation. Filled with incoherent sight gags, fart jokes, pointless pop culture references, and anything you could imagine from a duo set on destroying any fiber of humor. At least the acting talent despite being given awful material are okay. Diedrich Bader, bless him, who despite the godawful material he's given, still commits to his every line. Likewise, star Maiara Walsh has brief glimpses of talent, but they're usually spoiled a few seconds later by whatever cheap trick the movie has her doing next (like bird poop being thrown at her).

The Starving Game like it title will suggest leaves it does not fill its audience stomach for comedy. Saying this is for the lowest common denominator is an insult to the lowest common denominator. Even at under 83 minutes it fails to have enough material to support itself let alone entertain an audience. In vein of a bad rehashed sequel the duo rinse and repeats every mistakes they committed unable to comprehend the basics of how comedy works.
March 11, 2014
In the 1970's, Mel Brooks and Monty Python made spoof films a fixture in American movie theaters. In the years that have followed, we've even seen franchises like, Scary Movie, Date Movie, Epic Movie, and Superhero Movie, but when was the last time you saw a spoof that was actually any good? Because of my love of the Hunger Games, I actually gave it's spoof a chance and I'm sorry I did. There were a lot of things here that could have been made fun of, but they weren't. The film gets so desperate that they actually turn to Avatar, The Avengers, and the action star of the Expendables, to make the thing long enough to be a full length film. I understand that the purpose behind spoof films is to be so ridiculous, that people laugh at how stupid it is, but there is a point where it is so beyond stupid and childish, that no one finds it funny anymore. The Starving Games quickly crosses this line and doesn't go back. It's a comedy making fun of one of my favorite series of all-time, a series I know like the back of my hand, and I hardly laughed. The only thing this film does well is cast actors who closely resemble the cast of the Hunger Games franchise. Beyond that, the acting is terrible, the jokes wouldn't even make children laugh, and the story is so out there, that eventually you're not even sure what they are doing. While spoofing big movies has become big business, this one does nothing but annoy everyone who was dumb enough to watch it.
PantaOz
December 4, 2013
This spoof or parody written and directed by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, creators of other similar "works of art" can easily fulfil the criteria for the "Worst films of the year". Not many things in this movie were funny, and some of them will make you cry - how low can they go! In this film I could recognize The Hunger Games, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2, Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows, The Avengers, Avatar, The Great and Powerful Oz, The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey and The Expendables... but I wish I didn't. This was a movie made on a lowest possible budget: it was around $4.5 million dollars, and the shooting lasted only one month!

It kind of goes without saying that the writing and direction here is abysmal, with the only bit of coherency coming from the viewer's prior knowledge of The Hunger Games... If you like to lower your IQ, and to be annoyed by bits in the movie that aren't satirizing the source material, instead merely pointing at it and saying, "Hey, remember this?" - watch it! I already wasted too many words on this... enough.
½ April 3, 2014
My question is: How did they get these second rated actors to participate in this Z-movie? Absolute garbage, I actually regretted watching this film. It's like they don't even bother trying to make a good movie at all, just throw in random (lame) movie references. I cracked up for 2 seconds in the entire film about Oprah eating people but that's it. Don't even bother.
½ July 20, 2014
I'm serious people. Dead f**king serious people. It's bad. It's really, really, really bad. Jason friedberg and Aaron Seltzer have made yet another fart feast filled with dated pop culture references, disguising and unfunny humor, and over the top nonsense, just they fill the theater with 13 year old's and hopping they get a quick buck out of it. Plus a lot of the actors they had are completely wasted in this and I felled so sorry for them half the time. Now I did laugh at least one or two times in this, but that's not saying much. This is still a very bad film that's I should suggest that you should stay out of it as soon as possible.
June 21, 2014
I'm not going to lie, this is quite possibly my favorite low-budget parody film I've ever seen. Most of the jokes are on the money and catch you off guard just the way they're supposed to. And I'll be honest, even the acting was good. I've seen good actors try and act poorly before but this cast delivered. Speaking of the cast, Maiara Walsh is gorgeous. I hope she can break out of the low-budget niche film market and onto the big scene a bit because she's legit. If you're looking for a serious film, this obviously isn't for you but this is definitely a movie worth watching if you're looking for a cheap laugh or two or twelve.
½ June 1, 2014
Pretty much what you would expect. You have to be familiar with the story or you won't get half the jokes though.
½ May 24, 2014
The Starving Games(2012)
Review
I can see why it has a zero percent it makes Robert Benginis Pinocchio look good.
February 14, 2014
A parody movie. This really was not good, the parody movies stopped being good some time ago. This wasn't as bad as most, though, so... there's that...
½ August 9, 2015
Cheap Cash Grab that does not deserve to be called a Film
½ July 1, 2015
Terrible picture, terrible screenplay, terrible visual effects, terrible comedy, terrible..., terrible....

Everything is fcking nonsense, full of goofs, and illogical actions. Some scenes repeated (more than) two times.

The worst move I've ever watch. Really wasting my 91 minutes
June 22, 2015
Very funny at some parts, for who already saw the Hunger Games's first movie, but poorly acted, predictable and with a lot of cliches that can make us bleed of despair. Weak argument, ridiculous narrative.
STOP Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer
½ June 11, 2015
This film is absolutely awful. It seems to have been written by 12 year olds. I think they made their money from this in product placement knowing that it wasn't really going to make any money. They must have known.
½ May 10, 2014
An unnecessary film which still fails to even be a good parody. It actually looks like a school project. (D+)
May 22, 2015
Best movie ever f you have a weird sense of humor and it is now my fave movie ever mostly because of my jacked up senses of humor lots of sexual scenes though