97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Swimming Pool (La Piscine) Reviews

July 21, 2013
Peter Bradshaw, Guardian [UK]
A tour de force of sexual longing and controlled suspense.
January 1, 2012
L'esthtique est un verre moiti rempli de nos doutes, l'autre moiti n'est qu'une raison qui cherche son chemin. L'amour est il un tableau? l'amour est il une simple ide?...L'amour est il la vrit? (par Soufiane El Khalidy)
August 4, 2012
?"? (R),,??"? (R)... (R)??太(TM) 1/2????,?,?"??,',?,???
March 30, 2012
Completely engrossing, even when it's a bit slow going.
kater228
January 5, 2011
Romy Schneider and Delon for ever ...
zorarose
September 4, 2010
"What was the name of that hot french spice I am so fond of?" - "Alain Delon."

Well, in this movie Romy Schneider is the hot ingredient. Heavy and shimmering lies the summer over France. Marianne and Jean-Paul spend most of their time in the swimming pool. It is way too hot, they are way too lazy. An old friend comes by to introduce his 18-years old daughter. Slowly the wheel of lust and jealousy starts to spin and it goes faster and faster, until it explodes into a catastrophe.
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

May 5, 2008
yes, i knew alain delon was so impeccably beautiful in his youth, but there's just something in him that keeps me from being totally mesmerized by this enormously handsome man. actually, i think he's a fantastic combination of marlon brando and james dean, and he's far prettier than both of them together and he's elegant, subdued with those lovely eyes which no woman could emulate! BUT still, there's something in him, that prevents me from being the prey of his dubious charm.

okay, let me put it in two words concisely: diabolical egoism...or even more plainly: selfishness.

just judging from his performances in "the sinners", he's surely the only conpetent tom ripley in cinematic history, delon's character in it feels exactly like tom ripley in "the purple noon" which he would be making in years to come. the story is about a man who murders his visiting friend due to jealousy and contempt, and he sleeps with the friend's daughter to revenge him for attempting to seduce his girlfriend. then he methodically schemes to elope with the friend's daughter (after the funeral) after ruthlessly dumping his caring girlfriend. but after the girlfriend discovers the truth of the crime, he skillfully seduces the woman back to cover up the crime for him, acting pitifully sympathetic with his boyish melancholy. sounds so ripley..huh?

the character makes me feel so eeriely selfish, so downright self-centered, and what makes him even more horrible is that he even has a self-justified sympathy-inviting way to lead you into patronizing his vices...he's the one who does all the bad things, but you end up on his side even you know it is wrong!....i'm usually the villain-sympathizer in most of the cases, but for this one, i say...stay away from the devil! perhaps my sympathy is more with people who make great efforts to disguise their frailties in an aggressive, un-apologetic manner so others would be more compelled to condemn them because they want no sympathy! (i admire such consistency, it's called "dignified evil" by me) but alain delon type of villain is like, he pulls off the crime with great composure and he doesn't hesitate to bare his weakness because he would apply all the available resources around to excuse himself from the condemnation and the possible penalty. (cowardly evil)

anyway, "the sinners" is a great psychological drama for those take an interest in new wave french cinema. alain delon and romy schneider are surely very feasible to the eyes. even i must say, schneider is too good for delon, whose character here in this picture is surely a scumbag with the prettiest face which hypnotizes you into immorality. shall we just call him THE HOMME FATALE!
jspg71
September 23, 2009
Just watched this again as part of my Summer Riviera Program from my library . . . the murder at the end always seems like such a downer for the location and I always forget about it . . . Alain Delon & Romy Schneider certainly have a great pool & some parties, though . . .
October 25, 2009
old , good film with the eroticism of Romy Schneider and young those days Jane Birkin , made a romantic beautiful film
October 25, 2009
Recommended by Arianeta
Arianeta
Arianeta

September 2, 2009
Two lovers Alain Delon (an unemployed writer Jean-Paul) and Romy Schneider (Marianne) two of the most preternaturally attractive people on the planet withe exlellant chemistry spend an idyllic poolside vacation in St. Tropez.Their languid summer break is disturbed by the arrival of Marianne?s former boyfriend, Harry, who turns up unexpectedly with his daughter Penelope. Despite appearances that their past differences have been settled, old enmities between Jean-Paul and Harry soon begin to resurface ? with deadly consequences? Alain Delon is on fine form, giving one of his darker performances, a perfect contrast with Romy Schneider?s gentler yet equally tough portrayal of Marianne. Director in La Piscine, shows an almost existentialist minimalism and he creates a chilling portrait of male rivalry and jealousy. The atmosphere was realy good for my pleasure but at the and I was feel sorry about Delon as the women have the first and the last word there. An incredibly groovy late 60s soundtrack from Michel Legrand.
CookieBaci
July 14, 2008
interesting but somewhat slow.
April 25, 2008
A group of detached people find tensions rising when they all relax at a vacation home, spending a lot of time around the swimming pool.

A slow boil to be sure, but it's an interesting character study.

Worth a rental.