The To Do List Reviews

½ August 23, 2015
A nice laugh that benefits from Aubrey Plaza's great performance. Maybe not for everyone, but for the rest is a nice and funny ride.
August 7, 2015
A coming to age comedy about a naive high school girl to be whore. Bill Hader is hilarious as usual even though its just a small role he plays.
July 26, 2015
I actually didn't hate this, and I'm pretty surprised since I usually hate this genre. Aubrey Plaza is pretty much always fun, and for once I really enjoyed Rachel Bilson in her role. The multitude of 90s references were good for a laugh and while there really isn't much point, it's not a complete waste of time.
July 10, 2015
Scott Porter puts in a surprisingly good performance in this summertime coming of age comedy. CDW
June 29, 2015
Great cast and extremely funny.
½ June 25, 2015
The To Do List sidles in just on the right side of "okay". Just. The majority of the jokes don't work for me, and the premise it takes off from was flimsy as Hell, which would be fine if it wasn't something I kept thinking about. No one actor is really impressive (although Clark Gregg did step it up a little), and no technical achievements could notch any merits in To Do List's favour either. Subverting the teen movie/sex comedy tropes is a nice touch, but let's be honest, I would never have watched this if Aubrey Plaza wasn't in it, and I came out of it with virtually the exact same opinion I had going in.
June 22, 2015
This movie... is terrible. BUT, I recommend it anyways! It's funny and clumsily cheerful. Don't expect any on-screen genius, but it's enjoyable if you like awkward situations.
June 22, 2015
It's an 80's sex com set in the early 90's( Think Porkys or Nerds or any of the plethora of videos that aped them, but with the gender roles reversed. More clever than people give it credit for.)A hell of a lot more fun than that HBO series with the chick who has, wrongly, crowned herself the Queen of comedy. Aubrey Plaza takes affirmative action and shows how much fun it can be(All the while looking askant at the world. There is awkwardness and the odd clunk, but that was part of the terrain we navigated before we all got sophisticated.Plus, it uses " laid" by James in an already pretty strong soundtrack. Switch off " Girls" and pop this in the VCR.
½ May 26, 2015
Terrible. Neither the gags nor dialogues felt funny enough to make this movie watchable.
½ May 26, 2015
The 'To Do List' has some very funny moments about a young college girl Brandy who an academic student with good grades. She has a crush on Rusty Waters who totally ignores her. As she fills out college applications she realizes she hasn't done anything in high school that kids do at her age. She creates a 'To Do List' of sexual activities she wants to explore before college that could help her lose her virginity to Rusty Waters. At first she enlists her friends, and a few others to help her with her list, but as she reaches her goal she becomes a very different person hurting the people that have been her allies her entire life. The movie is hilarious, a fun parody, and has some ridiculous moments. If you are looking for a weekend movie with a crude humor and inside chick jokes, this is worth the laughs. It does have ridiculous dumb moments that are too far fetched to believe.
½ May 20, 2015
"The To Do List" (R, 1:44) is a raunchy comedy from first-time writer/director Maggie Carey, who loosely based the movie on her real-life experiences. The film stars the very talented Aubrey Plaza ("Parks and Recreation") as Brandy Klark, a brilliant high school graduate who becomes convinced that she has to prepare for college by having all the sexual experiences that her commitment to studying and her social awkwardness have not allowed for. Her sister (played by Rachel Bilson from the CW series "Hart of Dixie") and Brandy's two sexually experienced besties (Alia Shawkat and Sarah Steele) encourage her, and Brandy gets to work. She approaches her problem as if she's preparing to take the SATs - in another language. She makes a list of sexual experiences and methodically works her way down the list with a variety of guys from her graduating class. It's an interesting set-up with potential for some very naughty humor, but I found the film lacking in execution.

There are a number of things in this movie that just don't make sense. How could such a smart girl be so clueless about sex? (Inexperienced, yes, but totally ignorant?) Why would two experienced, socially well-adjusted girls be best friends with the arrogant, closed-off Brandy? And how could Brandy, who had barely kissed a boy before graduating high school, so quickly and easily embrace her inner slut? I could go on. This film just becomes a series of awkward and disgusting moments that are supposed to make us laugh, but left me just feeling....dirty. Now, "The To Do List" does have its funny moments, but there would have been more if Carey had shown just a little more restraint. Often, sexual situations in a comedy are funniest when more is left to the imagination. It's both surprising and disappointing that the director would let these gags go farther than they needed to, because otherwise she managed her cast extremely well!

The supporting players are a Who's Who of NBC's best actors, but they all play against type. These stars of NBC sitcoms (including Donald Glover from "Community", Nolan Gould from "Modern Family" and Jack McBrayer from "30 Rock"), Saturday Night Live (Bill Hader and Andy Samberg) and even NBC dramas (Connie Britton and Scott Porter from "Friday Night Lights" and Clark Gregg from "The West Wing") all give effective and entertaining performances without relying on the specific qualities that have made them successful in previous roles. In fact, I can't remember the last time I've seen an ensemble of actors (especially comic actors) so universally separate themselves from their most popular characters. It's too bad that their efforts were not in support of a better script or a funnier movie. I would recommend that you leave "The To Do List" off of your "Movies To See List", something that it's too late for me to do. At this point, all I can do is tell you about this movie's few strengths, many weaknesses and give the film a "C".
May 3, 2015
well....I think this is pretty damn funny.
½ April 17, 2015
All-star cast, very funny. Shawkat adds another graduation to her resume. Hader's wife wrote this about herself, and keeps it in the 90's.
½ April 6, 2015
Mildly enjoyable throughout, Plaza and Bilson in particular deliver the laughs.
½ March 17, 2015
A refreshing mix of raunch and coming of age that somehow reminds me of Fast Times. Not to mention Hader's performance was wonderful as per usual.
½ March 7, 2015
HAHAHA!! Aubrey Aubrey Aubrey.. :D
March 7, 2015
Quickie Rant Review

I have heard some people saying that this movie is a "Feminist\Female Empowerment" comedy. First off, it's not a comedy. It would have to be funny to qualify. Secondly, "Female Empowerment"? The main protagonist is a narcissistic sociopath who views other human beings the way everyone else views toilet paper, as usable and disposable. If a man did exactly the same things, said exactly the same things, and had the exact same motivations and emotional detachment concerning what he had done, every woman on earth would say he was a disgusting pig. Making the lead character female doesn't make her actions any less revolting. This movie is a series of awful people using one another and never once treating one another like human beings. If you want funny, go elsewhere, this is just tasteless.
February 23, 2015
Aubrey Plaza may have a unique comedic style, but it's not one that I particularly like. I gave her a chance with The To Do List, but less than 5 minutes into the movie I not only thought she was unfunny, but I also realized that she can't act. Her most sincere lines were delivered with such awkwardness and feigner. And even in a film with this level of flippancy you need that genuineness in order to care about the character.

Plaza plays Brandy, a goodie-two-shoes high school graduate who is constantly made fun of for being a virgin. She throws all her morals out the window when she sees a guy that she wishes to sleep with. She then compiles a list of experiences she wants to have to better prepare herself for her rendezvous with this guy.

The To Do List is insensitive and so is everyone in it. No one is nice to each other and everyone is too self-righteous to learn any type of lesson. Throughout her "journey" Brandy learns next-to-nothing. She hurts those closest to her on several occasions and ignores the reasons why after they each confront her. These friends just all end up forgiving her without actually discussing their individual issues with her actions.

Bill Hader can't even save this film. It's unfunny and the dialogue is painfully bad. The only saving grace of this movie is that it takes place in 1993, which provides for a great soundtrack. But with an unappealing cast with an even more unappealing lead I can't recommend this film to even the biggest American Pie fans.

Twizard Rating: 44