The Triplets of Belleville Reviews

½ April 28, 2014
A must see, for animation lovers.
½ April 24, 2014
I really liked this little independent film. It doesn't have much of a plot and there is no dialogue, but it is original and quite entertaining, although the second half does get a bit stale. Still, worth watching!
½ April 10, 2014
Imaginative and original. The peculiar, and sometimes trippy, animation styles adopted in this French cartoon gives it a feature which distinguishes it from the usual. I never seen such quirky character models which work intriguingly to provide dramatized reflections of each character's distinctive traits. It perhaps finished too abruptly and the ending may not have had as much emotional impact as the creators hoped but 'The Triplets of Belleville' successfully manages to blend bittersweet and dark moments while also reminding us that the art of storytelling can be achieved with next to no dialogue at all.
March 16, 2014
Les triplettes est l'un des films d'animation les plus extraordinaire qui soit. L'humour. La musique et l'animation à l'ancienne. Les ingrédients sont là. Le plaisir du cinéma aussi.... Une coup de pied dans le cul à Disney, Pixar et tous ceux qui nous offrent des trucs qui crient sans rien dire. Une oeuvre complète. Le septième art dans ce qu'il a de plus plaisant.
March 2, 2014
visually charming animation and brilliant characters make this film a must-see for all
January 2, 2014
Incredible cartoon, this film is brilliantly done and directed with a lot of passion by an incredibly talentuous man very attached to details and precisions. A great little film.
December 19, 2013
One of the best animated films I've seen that's not even in the English language! Great score and soundtrack.
½ December 13, 2013
Yesterday evening a friend introduced me to this extraordinary piece of animation. I found "The Triplets of Belleville" to be one of the most charming movies I've had the pleasure of seeing the last couple of years. This delightful movie follows the adventures of Madame Souza, her grandson, Champion, and their dog, Bruno. After watching it I was left with the feeling that I'd just watched a film which communicated something to me.
December 5, 2013
"The Triplets of Belleville" features stunningly imaginative animation paired with socio-political criticisms of the American industry built off of the back of foreign culture/labor, its parts adding up to a squarely brilliant piece of modern-age filmmaking.
November 21, 2013
A milestone of French cinema. The Triplets of Belleville will have everyone laughing all the way through.
November 13, 2013
If you thought Wall-E's no dialogue charm was great, then you've got to see this one. Incredible physical comedy and drama make this quirky film highly memorable!
October 20, 2013
Easily the greatest animated film I've ever seen, Triplets of Belleville is not only thoroughly entertaining, but it is also a successful satire of modern society and people. The characters' quirks are what make the characters great and although some may find it kind of creepy and too weird for their taste, they will not be able to deny its brilliance.
October 18, 2013
pretty good movie, i enjoyed it, some parts were a little strange but overall it was a good movie.
½ October 5, 2013
A truly fearless animation film that dares to surprise viewers at every turn-funny, poignant, with the fully imagined characters we need to stay engaged.
October 4, 2013
A neat tale, told using charming animation and little dialogue. I was not expecting this adventure to be so oddly shaped and still so enjoyable. Loads of fun here with an on point structure and detailed, unusual and lovely design. A pleasing film that have no down moments, it goes on with grim looking characters and is some sort of an abstract cartoon in general. The characters are likeable and you can sympathize and adore them. The sweet and hard boned granny, the skinny bicylist and the fat dog are an amazing team.

A bizarre ride that is like no other film.

8 out of 10 frog legs.
September 22, 2013
This French film, written and directed by the filmmaker Sylvain Chomet, is in the strictest sense an animated foreign comedy film but it is unlike anything I have ever seen. It has a unique surrealist animation style that manages to stay oddly grounded. In other words, it wasn't some psychoactive drug trip but more like taking a look at the world through Salavador Dali's eyes. However what struck me the most while watching this film was how everything was animated to extenuate ugliness and imperfection. None of the surroundings and characters looked like you see in most animated films, either hyper-realistic or like unblemished porcelain dolls; everything is drawn with blatant, over-exaggerated, and warped features. These features define each character as well as they instantly evoke what thoughts and feelings the director wants you to associate with them. The character's exaggerated features also allow the film to progress without almost any actual dialogue. Contextual clues and facial expressions were more than enough to conduct entire conversations as well as progress the story line without ever saying a word. This makes the movie accessible to people of all tongues without the subtitle stigma that many people have with watching foreign films. In conclusion, while this film is not for the causal movie watcher, it is still a beautifully imperfect work of hand-drawn art that is an experience that goes far beyond mere entertainment.
½ March 20, 2013
This was the original Tour De France Art House film from before the Floyd Landis scandal! AND Sony Pictures Classics published it!
½ June 1, 2013
Very, very odd for a movie. It has good enough animation, good enough charm, and an OK story. The movie was good enough. 7.3.
½ August 24, 2013
August 11, 2013
This film is just brilliant, really shows how far people will go to chase there dream and there family