14% Transcendence Apr 18

The Truth About Emanuel Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

January 13, 2014
A troubled teenage girl becomes obsessed with the single mom who moves in next door, who has secrets of her own. A bit slow and heavy-handed at times, but generally an effective female-centered psychodrama about maternal love.

April 6, 2014
Reading the bad reviews on RT I wonder why people didn't like drama thriller indie written, directed and produced by Francesca Gregorini. The film stars Jessica Biel, Kaya Scodelario, Alfred Molina, Jimmi Simpson, Aneurin Barnard and Frances O'Connor. It premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2013.

The story of Emanuel (Scodelario), is a story of a troubled girl, who becomes preoccupied with her mysterious, new neighbor (Biel), who bears a striking resemblance to her dead mother. In offering to babysit her newborn, Emanuel unwittingly enters a fragile, fictional world, of which she becomes the doorkeeper. Interesting story about salvation and redemption. This tale unfolds and unravels in secrets, creating blind-spots that will at best keep us from moving forward, at worst derail us completely. I enjoyed it as a choreographed piece between sorrow and fantasy; a haunting dance between its two main characters, Linda and Emanuel.

When we have a director raised in Rome, Los Angeles and the English countryside, there is a feel Francesca Gregorini brings in this movie... a worldly, passionate and unique sensibility. Character driven movie will take you to the end creating mysteries, some of them unnecessary for the plot, but visually stunning!

Watchable movie which will cause some reaction with the viewers on the emotional level! It seems that I liked it more than the others, but there is nothing to be ashamed - I found it well made... just enough well made for the 60%.

April 6, 2014

February 26, 2014
Interesante... si no tienes nada mas que hacer...
January 6, 2014
change its name from "The Emanuel and the Truth about Fishes" to "TheTruth about Emanuel".2013 movie.drama,thriller and mystery movie. The story about a 17 years old girl who has introvert and calm behaviour.living with her dad and stepmother. Every mysterious step in this movie always keep us digging and digging,what's wrong with this girl,what happen to her mother,what she gonna do in this thriller. Very interesting movie like this always entertain to watch. Insanity and lonely are the main idea. This movie become more interesting after shock twist in the middle part. What's the truth about this girl?you will find out. Although got a lot of negative review,maybe i'm the only one who say this is a good movie. The direct is not bad and the idea i'm assure is fresh.
February 1, 2014
interesting thriller
January 28, 2014
Great individual performances and an intense story line prevent this movie from completely falling off a cliff of melodrama and hallowed suspense.
January 19, 2014
Magical due to Kaya Scodelario
January 12, 2014
One of the best & funniest movies we've ever seen! Very graphic nudity, but it was part of the story and really done partially for the comedy. Leonardo D. did an awesome job.
January 6, 2014
the truth about Emanuel (2013)
January 20, 2013
Francesca Gregorini filmed this typical italian story in typical neo-italian stylized and psychological fashion with an american team with american actors. This might have been a good choice for her. The film works, esp. for the target audience: women. And it will be released on a wider scale. And Gregorini, Barbara Bach's daughter, Ringo Starrs step-daughter and Portia de Rossi's Ex is american. But I wonder what she could have done with an italian team. Some magic is missing.
December 18, 2013
THE TRUTH ABOUT EMANUEL delivers a lot of quirk and little humor... two things that usually go hand and hand. The result is an awkward feeling mix of styles in an often confusing piece. The exposition stages (and opening narration) are awful - both in delivery and in content. They are boring, inappropriate and sometimes even irrelevant to the story. Although, something about the movie made me yearn for the outcome despite having to wade through all the oddness. Jessica Biel plays a very disturbed character very naturally and does some of the best acting that she has produced in several years. Her interaction with newcomer Kaya Scodelario is what keeps the picture engaging. Kaya is not bad. She handles physical acting well but her line delivery is often played with vague motivation. The biggest saving grace for EMANUEL is Alfred Molina's troubled father character who is struggling to do his best to raise his socially disturbed daughter after his wife's death. His character is the most real... the most human... of the on-screen group. By the end, the on-going water metaphor in EMANUEL is taken to such strange places that any real heart behind the story is drained away by its distraction. The final moments of the movie work to ground everything again in a way that is touching, but far less effective than it could have been without the unnatural breaks in the otherwise naturalistic narrative.
Nizar Ezzeddine
December 10, 2013
"The Truth about Emanuel", Filmmaker Francesca Gregorini's try to combine the drama with mystery, looks so black and hard to be understood, but using charming cinematography in the surrealistic scenes.

With her male name, "Emanuel" (Kaya Scodelario) which almost 18 years old sounds to live unsteady psychological live, and to take the responsibility of her mother's death while she was born. She doesn't go well with her father and stepmother. The story starts to be complicated when "Emanuel" begins her job as a babysitter for "Chloe" unreal baby of a new single neighbor called "Linda" (Jessica Biel). "Linda" sound to have some mental disorder that she takes care of a doll as her girl, but the resemblance between "Linda" and her left mother and watching the motherhood feeling -that "Emanuel" feels a lack about- drifted the teenager girl to live the lie with that neighbor, until a sudden event revealed the truth and broke the white lie which she lived and "Emanuel" went along with it.

Kaya Scodelario, as a sharp dreamy and dark teenager, gives a good performance supported by the steady performance of Jessica Biel, but the script looks scattered kind of, the work towards the mystery sound to be failed, because it comes stilted and strains the story. some events are not convincing like when "Linda" ran away that easily from the hospital with the help of "Emanuel" . I guess this movie could've been charming if it was depending just on the surrealism we saw in the scene of fish. The colors are nice, so is the music.

The material of this movie is present in everyone as we're all fond of our mothers and every mother is fond of her children, but it comes complicated and lost the way needed to tell us the real intention of it or to make us connect with it emotionally.
December 8, 2013
This is definitely a great movie and a must see. A lot of people said that this movie is somewhat disappointing and I believe it's because the movie gives closure where it realistically could not have had that kind of closure. But it is nice to see a movie where this happens. It's a movie for thinkers. I really enjoyed the cast, the story line and the ending.
November 29, 2013
Wow, these critic douches wouldn't know a good movie it it bit them in the ass. This movie is excellent.
Lightningbarer
November 6, 2013
A strange looking trailer and a possible insulting story about a Motherless child.
This strikes me as something akin to The Life Zone in its subject material and message. I'll go see it, but I'm not holding out any hopes that this'll be any good.