67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Turin Horse Reviews

Sarfaraz Abbasi
January 25, 2013
The Turin Horse (A torinói ló Hungarian film directed by Béla Tarr and Ágnes Hranitzky,. Starring János Derzsi, Erika Bók. Film was co-written by Tarr and his László Krasznahorkai. The film is shot in black-and-white. The film premiered at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival, and earned Jury Grand Prix. The film was official Hungarian entry for Academy Award for Best Foreign Language, but could not make it to final list. This is supposedly the last film by Tarr, as he claims in his interview with NY Times.

The opening of the film a man narrates an earlier short-story of Nietzsche, while in Turin (Italy) one day in 1889, he witnessed a cart driver beating a horse and threw himself, weeping, on the animal's neck ,according to legend, the event led mental breakdown from which Nietzsche never recovered.

Tarr says that he wanted to show the heaviness of the life; plus the daily basic routines to fetch water from well under harsh weather, in someone's life. After watching interview of Tarr, I came up with view that if we were to ascertain segments of life's philosophical ups-and-downs then, there are countless such issues out there, to dramatize them and debate over their existence in the universe.

If Tarr is so much anxious to show the world about daily fetching of water from well and how hard it can be for someone, then he should research on this and come to Thar (Sindh, Pakistan) one of the largest deserts in the world, where the dwellers go out each day in search of water.

These movies are not aimed at general/average audience, for they contain real upheavals of human-life and tragic resounding of misery suffered at state of poverty and ever changing environment (that Tarr wants to explain).
February 11, 2013
Repetitive routine of the father and daughter on the last six days of their world was overlong, boring and haunting but not all uninteresting. The production setting, including wind, and cinematography were great.
February 3, 2013
2h and 30 m? wow. I'll make it short....it's dry
February 10, 2013
Grueling. Haunting. Terrifying.
January 10, 2013
It's a marvelous achievement, one that's beautifully well-composed but completely despairing. Not an easy sit, but a bold piece of cinema. I'm not sure I loved it or even completely absorbed it but I was often intrigued or mesmerized by it and it won't leave me for awhile.
axadntpron
axadntpron

January 11, 2013
The Turin Horse offers all of the fun of burying your grandmother, without the comfort of having the rest of your family near. Bleak, full of mysterious beauty that is hard to put your finger on, and endlessly-bordering on obnoxiously-long. And once it is done one thing is for sure, you hope you never have to experience it again.
January 10, 2013
This is a MESMERIZING film.
Bela Tarr may be the greatest living filmmaker.
December 28, 2012
Pretentious and tedious. I love the works of Nietzsche but although this movie manage to recreate the despair of the philosopher thought, it reaches boredom at its best.
January 2, 2013
#6 on Tim's 2012 list
December 30, 2012
A film about the good old days!? When I first heard about it, I thought it could be either social realist or metaphysical (rubbish), or at least allegorical. I suppose it's both (and also an aesthetic, film-making exercise). Compare with The Grapes of Wrath?
John W.
December 28, 2012
Overrated and astonishingly dull. If Newt Gingrich is a stupid person's idea of a smart person, this is an idiot's idea of an intelligent film. Two stars is as generous as I can be. Really disappointing.
FieryPelikula
FieryPelikula

December 7, 2012
Bela Tarr's "Swan Song" is Tarr-esque in all forms-- long takes, glorious black and white, and silent-- which may be fantastic news for Tarr fans.
November 26, 2012
It's typical Bela Tarr. Long and gorgeously photographed and while it didn't floor me I can't really say too much bad about it.
September 29, 2011
A masterwork of film craft and implicitness through such, and almost certainly among the most exhausting cinema experiences of all time.
October 5, 2012
This is a masterpiece. Béla Tarr is a genius. Period. The philosophical premise is intellectually deep. The execution is the typical work of a master: so true to its visionary's grandeur that it is unique in every way. One can see the master's fingerprint on his work. Now this is not an easy movie to watch. It is deliberately slow, repetitive, dark, dry. That just adds to the power for those who will put the in work to reap the deep intellectual and artistic rewards. Most movie goers are looking for entertainment, nothing wrong with that. This film is not it! For those looking for a rare gem, like a Picasso in a museum, this certainly is a film for you to work on! As with any masterpiece the deep rewards are worth the heavy lifting.
September 30, 2012
A deep disappointment after the equally challenging, equally glacially paced, but utterly sublime Werckmeister Harmonies. Practically a self-parody, its only virtues are stolen from other films. Had Bresson's masterpieces Au Hasard Balthasar and Mouchette been soulless exercises in style, they would have been this film. Mix in a bit of Lilian Gish's infinitely superior 1928 silent, The Wind, and the parody is pretty much complete.

Some will give the film points for cinematography, but it's cheap beauty: the easy and crowd-pleasing technique of sharp detail and high contrast that sells millions of Ansel Adams prints and makes people believe Dead Man isn't Jarmusch's worst movie.
Hassan V

September 27, 2012
If there ever was fitting film to match Abbas Kiarostamiâ(TM)s quote âI donâ(TM)t mind if someone falls asleep while watching a film, as long as they dream about it afterâ? it is Belá Tarrâ(TM)s most recent and apparently swan song film. It is one of the most boring, dull and sluggishly paced film that you will have watched but it has more resonance than a 8.0 earthquake. It shatters your perceptions of humanity and forces you to rebuild, or convince yourself that life isnâ(TM)t totally meaningless.
The withered faces, the brush of wind, the struggle of light and the potatoes, potatoes, potatoes create monotony that Tarrâ(TM)s marvellous one take shots guides through the viewers eyes, into their brain and forces them to contemplate. There are moments of grandeur in the mundane too every time Mihaly Vigâ(TM)s monstrous, lingering score drifts in like a weight on your concious.
It is a film relentless in itâ(TM)s forever grey filter of the world and is something Nietzsche would be proud of. The movie in fact starts with the story of Nietzsche seeing the a horse being beaten which put a halt on all his though and put him in bed till death. Evoking this Belá Tarr calls the end of his illustrious career by showing us the dire state of humanity that Nietzsche was lucky enough to see and tempting us to follow in his footsteps.
baradore
September 25, 2012
what the fuck is with these ratings? it sucked big time. it was a torture for me watching it.
September 17, 2012
Tarr tells a tale covering some pretty ultimate ground: existence. The image of a sad dying horse is heartbreaking, and it accompanies well the story of reality fading into nothing, because that's what it already is.
September 8, 2012
Sans compromission Bela Tarr compose une oeuvre a la radicalite totalement coherente avec son propos meme si l'epure austere et la repetition hypnotique (un jour sans fin mais avec une fin) peuvent parfois preter a derision tant le parti pris est extreme. Apocalyptique, desespere, ce Cheval de Turin reste pourtant une lecon de cinema inventive dans son economie d'esbroufe et faisant preuve d'une maitrise hors norme. Rarement la fatalite vaine de l'existence humaine alienee par son environnement et des evenements qui la depassent, n'aura ete incarnee avec un tel sens du desespoir nihiliste. Un film qui pousse a relativiser sur sa condition et qui rend modeste a condition d'etre patient...