The Turning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Turning Reviews

March 8, 2014
The problem with Australia (and all of the West for that matter) is the media portrayal of those places as foreign or exotic or someplace simply different from other Western countries (which they are obviously) when in fact nowadays the similarities outweigh the differences by far, and surprisingly so. Herein a collection of short films about Australian life and perspective, quietly intelligent, that underscore that point exactly.
Yes, Down Under, drive on the other side of the road, whatever, but the humanity, the day to day, the life, the living, very much similar ... and too the longing for someplace foreign, or exotic, or someplace simply different: very much similar.
Jonathan Auf Der's 3 hours slice-o-life gives that perspective, insight, and warmly so, but you'll need to be prepared for that 3 hour sitdown, that's for sure.
½ June 28, 2014
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, with each episode produced by its own individual creative team, the lack of continuity can disorientate. But it's this daring mix of styles that gives The Turning its creative energy and distinct off-kilter flavor.
½ June 1, 2014
The problem I have with cinematic anthologies, even one as masterful as The Turning, is artistic fatigue. Had the production been two or two and a half hours, I could've walked away content. But it would take a very special form of abstract art...one that can continuously resonate with me and my inner being...for me to happily indulge for 3 hours. Individually, the stories that The Turning brings to the big screen are beautiful and wonderfully crafted. But I burnt out watching them all collectively.
½ January 23, 2016
An ambitious collaboration gives mixed results. Some stories are outstanding - Sand is beautiful, Reunion hilarious and On Her Knees insightful. Others such as Abbreviation, Immunity and Boner McPharlin's Moll fail to capture the depth of Winton's characters that made his stories so admirable.
August 15, 2014
As Soon As One Story Gets Going, It Abruptly Ceases (Typical Of Winton's Writing Style), Somewhat Unfinished, And On Again We Go To The Next One. I Found Such A Film Montage Very Frustrating To Watch. The Aussie Landscape / Photography Looked Fantastic, I Rate That Highly, With Some Stories Having An Inviting Theme Of Intrigue...But, The 3hrs Is Just Too Many Ideas To Sit Through. An Art Piece Of Short Character Work By A Host Of Aussie Actors Is All This Can Ever Hope To Be.
½ June 28, 2014
July 26, 2015
Too long and too many stories to engage anyone. That said the scenery and acting was tip top. Not sure any really stood out. But it was good to spot the like of Weaving, Blanchett etc
November 23, 2014
"The Returning" isn't fully satisfying, but it has big ambitious in every frame. Best Part : Damaged Good, Big World
½ October 3, 2014
An ample amount of patience would be required to get through this anthology of short films based on Tim Winton's stories. Visually lovely, most stories good, well executed, and thematically linked by loss and melancholy, but the pacing is so consistently languid - and the overall film is so long - it becomes rather boring.
½ September 8, 2014
definitely lost attention in some of them, but overall really enjoyed it
½ August 9, 2014
The Turning is certainly an ambitious and challenging film with all these stories crammed into 3 hours this film in a way reminds me of Cloud Atlas. The Turning was difficult to watch for a fair bit of the time but nonetheless it was enjoyable to watch through to see all these different stories and characters
½ July 27, 2014
Literally hurt my eyes and ears to watch this pathetic excuse for a movie.. way too long, boring, absolutely nothing happens :)
September 23, 2013
Visually beautiful and talented story telling. As a whole it comes across very depressing.
½ June 1, 2014
May 3, 2014
Amazing stories, acting. Really enjoyed the whole 3 hours.
November 3, 2013
Sometimes confusing connections between stories but beautiful cinematography! Left me mulling on it for a day or two, which is rare, but nice.
April 5, 2014
I enjoyed these small vignettes of ordinary Australians facing challenges and turns. Full of quirks and twists, this movie manages to keep the viewer guessing and pondering.
March 8, 2014
February 28, 2014
A pot pourri of cinematic shorts by different directors woven together to recreate stories by the Australian writer Tim Winton. Some are quite compelling and represent significant, occasionally earth shattering, moments in personal experience. The overall result is an 'art house' film which moves from the mundane to the beautiful and to the disturbing. Set in Australia with some excellent photography; The Turning demonstrates how people are dramatically changed by life events.