67% The Equalizer Sep 26

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

The Turning Reviews

Apeneck F

March 8, 2014
The problem with Australia (and all of the West for that matter) is the media portrayal of those places as foreign or exotic or someplace simply different from other Western countries (which they are obviously) when in fact nowadays the similarities outweigh the differences by far, and surprisingly so. Herein a collection of short films about Australian life and perspective, quietly intelligent, that underscore that point exactly.
Yes, Down Under, drive on the other side of the road, whatever, but the humanity, the day to day, the life, the living, very much similar ... and too the longing for someplace foreign, or exotic, or someplace simply different: very much similar.
Jonathan Auf Der's 3 hours slice-o-life gives that perspective, insight, and warmly so, but you'll need to be prepared for that 3 hour sitdown, that's for sure.
August 9, 2014
The Turning is certainly an ambitious and challenging film with all these stories crammed into 3 hours this film in a way reminds me of Cloud Atlas. The Turning was difficult to watch for a fair bit of the time but nonetheless it was enjoyable to watch through to see all these different stories and characters
July 27, 2014
Literally hurt my eyes and ears to watch this pathetic excuse for a movie.. way too long, boring, absolutely nothing happens :)
Lee G.
June 1, 2014
The problem I have with cinematic anthologies, even one as masterful as The Turning, is artistic fatigue. Had the production been two or two and a half hours, I could've walked away content. But it would take a very special form of abstract art...one that can continuously resonate with me and my inner being...for me to happily indulge for 3 hours. Individually, the stories that The Turning brings to the big screen are beautiful and wonderfully crafted. But I burnt out watching them all collectively.
May 3, 2014
Amazing stories, acting. Really enjoyed the whole 3 hours.
CB
October 28, 2013
An ambitious collaboration gives mixed results. Some stories are outstanding; Sand is beautiful, Reunion hilarious, and On Her Knees insightful. Others such as Abbreviation, Immunity and Boner McPharlin's Moll fail to capture the depth of Winton's characters that made his stories so admirable.
October 13, 2013
This nicely photographed series of 17 shorts based on Tim Winton's book is a real mess.
If you haven't read the book, you will not know that certain characters reappear to different points in their lives which makes the whole thing impossible to follow as some sections seem entirely disposable.
The producers presumably share this worry as they have provided a book which lists which characters come back but as it's a bit dark in the cinema it's not much help.
So 17 directors, 17 casts, 17 snippets of just how grinding life in small town Australia (apparently it is all supposed to be set in one town) really is.
Someone described it as melancholic, but I'd suggest grinding and dull would fit better.
In case you wondered, the film with Cate Blanchett in looks like a first rehearsal for a stageplay it is so wooden. At one point I sweat the cast all looks at the direction for a clue about what is going on.
If you like Winton's writing you'll want to see it, but there aren't many other reasons.