What a cop-out (spoiler blah blah)

I can't believe the fight ended up being just a dream sequence. Seriously? The fight was cool until it turned out Alice was just thinking it. There were tons of other problems too, but this one actually ticked me off. I'm a non-fan, so didn't have high hoped, and the cop-out just shattered through the floor.
Aria Clements
11-16-2012 01:35 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Nathanael C.

Nathanael Culver

The entire movie was a two-hour buildup to ... zero. Absent the final confrontation, the entire plot could be summed up as, "Aro meets Renesmee, then everyone goes home."

I mean, really. The whole "Surprise! It's a dream!" has been done so often it's become a cliche. But this is the first I've seen an entire movie commit suicide with it.

Seriously. Since the final battle never happened, could someone -- ANYONE -- explain to me what the point of the film was? Absolutely nothing happened in two hours. Nothing. Zilch.

Mar 22 - 12:06 AM

Susana M.

S M

there IS no point to this film.
Other than to satiate stupid girls' craving for sparkly vampires and fake, perpetually shirtless werewolves.

Apr 24 - 02:02 PM

Kelly Brooks

Kelly Brooks

Very disappointed! Thought about walking out. the best was the ending. the animation in the beginning was a bit to much.

Dec 1 - 08:34 PM

Misty Firestone-Haines

Misty Firestone-Haines

I actually thought the "Vision" was AMAZING. If you people read the books, you would know there was NO BATTLE and I was SO PISSED about that when I got through with the book. I was like, "All of this build up and NOTHING happens? WTH?!?" Alot of book fans felt this way. So I, just my opinion, I think this was a way of satisfying our "thirst" (pun totally intended), to see SOMETHING happen. And once I saw what "Would Have" been, I would preferred this "Vision" instead of actually sacrificing our most loved characters of the Saga. I am totally satisfied with it all being a Vision, but it was very nice seeing the Volturi go down, one by one.

So from a True Book to Screen fan - Thank You for the Ride Bill, Melissa, & Stephenie. Well played... Well played indeed.

Nov 26 - 12:00 AM

Molly Fontera

Molly Fontera

Really a dream sequence? Gotta be one of the worst movies of the year by that uncreative plot point alone.

Nov 21 - 09:44 PM

Janine Bozeman

Janine Bozeman

Wow - it's a movie, folks. Meant to entertain. If one is a non-fan, not sure why you'd go, except to knock the movie. I loved that it was a dream sequence - nothing about the series is reality; so I wanted it to be happy ever after. Worked for me. No surprise it didn't work for all.

Nov 18 - 05:48 PM

Jeff Talley

Jeff Talley

When Carlisle loses his head that is the point to where the movie actually got pretty good for a minute.. Then it was "Where's Jane at? Let's get that bitch!"

Killing Carlisle was the Agent Coulson moment, where everyone is in and ready to fight... And they screwed it all up.

Booo to dream sequences!

Nov 18 - 03:22 PM

Karen Kennedy

Karen Kennedy

I saw the movie with my teen age daughter. When Carlisle's head gets ripped off, everyone around me went into hysterics. As heads rolled, (no pun intended), and main characters kept dropping, I was surrounded by hysterically crying and screaming girls all around me. I kept thinking - this can't be right, they wouldn't kill off so many main characters. Then, when it was shown to be Alice's vision, everyone around me went into screaming denial...I was rather amused. I thought the twist was a bit cheap, since it manipulated the audience so badly. Cheap, but effective.

Nov 18 - 09:50 AM

Susana M.

S M

I kinda wished it had actually gone down that way. Then at least something surprising would've happened, at least.

Apr 24 - 02:04 PM

Mike Cicirelli

Mike Cicirelli

actually, because I like to figure my pop culture is reflective of my current society, I loved that the two camps, us and them, were able to see the future in one another is death and destruction if they fight, and are able to resort to the better solution, peace and life.

Nov 17 - 10:26 PM

Jonny B.

Jonny Bakes

Why cant I tell critics how shitty their reviews are anymore?

Nov 17 - 10:45 AM

almightygozar

Darrell Kay

You can, assuming they have a comments section on their own site. But if you were looking to just rail on them on RT without reading the full review, RT very reasonably took that away considering how many fanboys and idiots did it.

Nov 19 - 10:28 AM

Susana M.

S M

The reviews are there for the "fanboys and idiots" like you said. I don't see why users should be denied the right to express their opinion on them, since after all, they are there for our consumption.

Apr 24 - 02:06 PM

Amanda McKinnon

Amanda McKinnon

For me the fight scene was so upsetting. I kept saying "this isn't like the book! I can't believe they just killed (insert names here)!" My teen daughter was FURIOUS that they changed the ending at that point. So once we discovered a few minutes later that it was just a vision I was very relieved. Especially because I was SO upset that Seth had died. But then my daughter was even more ticked off. She said the movies took mediocre books and made them even worse! But if you had not read the books and didn't know this wasn't part of the original story it would probably be a decent ending to the movie.

Nov 17 - 07:16 AM

Janine Bozeman

Janine Bozeman

It can be a bummer when movie doesn't match the book. But if you like reading the books first, it makes for easier viewing if you can let that go a bit. Movies being visual often have to change things up a bit. Learned that with the Potter series as well. Hope you enjoyed the movie. I just saw it and loved it.

Nov 18 - 05:51 PM

Misty Firestone-Haines

Misty Firestone-Haines

I actually thought the "Vision" was AMAZING. I was SO PISSED about not having a battle when I got through with the book. I was like, "All of this build up and NOTHING happens? WTH?!?" Alot of book fans felt this way. So I, just my opinion, I think this was a way of satisfying our "thirst" (pun totally intended), to see SOMETHING happen. And once I saw what "Would Have" been, I would have preferred this "Vision" instead of actually sacrificing our most loved characters of the Saga. I am totally satisfied with it all being a Vision, but it was very nice seeing the Volturi go down, one by one.

Nov 26 - 12:03 AM

Blockbuster Diva

Blockbuster Diva

I thought it was a fantastic twist that it was only Alice's vision. It would have been just another straightforward action flick otherwise. Don't you think so?

Nov 17 - 04:22 AM

Janine Bozeman

Janine Bozeman

I totally agree! Loved it!

Nov 18 - 05:51 PM

Susana M.

S M

No, it would've actually been less of a waste of time. Just a little less, but less.

Apr 24 - 02:07 PM

Mikayla Flood

Mikayla Flood

I was pissed that there wasn't a fight, although relieved that Carlisle and Seth didn't die. I was devastated when Seth "died". Anyway, pissed that there was no fight, but somewhat relieved.

Nov 16 - 09:30 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

A dream sequence battle? What is this, Inception? Is there at least the risk they might not wake up? God this franchise is stupid.

Nov 16 - 10:14 AM

Aria Clements

Aria Clements

I was live-updating my Facebook about it (so were dozens of others in front of me, and who knows how many behind), and a minute in posted that it would probably turn out to be a dream. So it was predictable. The series ends on a cotton candy saccharin note, so it's no surprise the movies ended without any of the main characters losing anything. The only death, one of a peripheral character who bright the Volturi to Washington, was forgotten almost immediately.

Nov 16 - 03:13 PM

Nina Hill

Nina Hill

Please tell me who dies? I can't get ticket until next week:( Also what happens after the dream sequence?

Nov 16 - 09:09 AM

Aria Clements

Aria Clements

Alice takes Aro's hand to show him something, then turns and mouths, "Now." Big fight, Carlisle and Jasper get killed, werewolves get killed, Volturi get killed. Bella ripped Aro's head off and was about to set in on fight, but the next moment we see Alice standing in front of Aro saying, "That's what will happen if there's a fight." So the Volturi decide not to fight. The entire point of the dream sequence was to try to make the end of a boring book exciting, but all it did was yank people around. It was like, "Here's some cool stuff, only it won't happen because this is too boring of a book and movie." The Volturi leave. Then the rest is like the book, except Edward and Bella don't have their last scene be more PG-rated sex.

Nov 16 - 03:04 PM

Missy Cat

Missy Cat

How is it a cop out if it is sticking to what was in the book? Learn to idiom, maybe?

Nov 16 - 09:08 AM

Aria Clements

Aria Clements

The book didn't have a dream sequence. So they didn't stick to the book.

Also "idiom" is noun, not a verb. Learn to use nouns and verbs correctly before telling me what to do. Your misuse is like me telling you to "learn to magazine."

Nov 16 - 03:09 PM

Misty Firestone-Haines

Misty Firestone-Haines

I actually thought the "Vision" was AMAZING. I was SO PISSED about not having a battle in the book when I got through with reading. I was like, "All of this build up and NOTHING happens? WTH?!?" Alot of book fans felt this way. So I, just my opinion, I think this was a way of satisfying our "thirst" (pun totally intended), to see SOMETHING happen. And once I saw what "Would Have" been, I would preferred this "Vision" instead of actually sacrificing our most loved characters of the Saga.

I am totally satisfied with it all being a Vision, but it was very nice seeing the Volturi go down, one by one.

Nov 26 - 12:05 AM

Susana M.

S M

Do you just copy and paste the same comment anytime someone mentions the vision?

Apr 24 - 02:08 PM

Emma Oliver

Emma Oliver

the fight sceen made the film, i was shocked when carlisle head was riped off and consequently starting the fight the voltori, only be sign with the greatest relife when it turn out it was only one of alice's visons, like jacob black said in the book nothing happen.

Nov 16 - 08:41 AM

Aria Clements

Aria Clements

Too bad it was something cool that was then taken away. They should have had the fight be what actually happened in the movie. It's obvious they knew of no other way to make a boring series of books end in any way that wouldn't put viewers to sleep.

Nov 16 - 03:10 PM

Jason B.

Jason Black

That's exactly what people who read the book first said. Because in the book, there was allll this build up for a fierce battle and then NOTHING happened. Trust me, the dream sequence makes the film MUCH better than it'd be without it.

Nov 16 - 03:18 AM

Aria Clements

Aria Clements

It would have been better if they had the fight actually happen instead of taking away the only decent part of the entire franchise. Instead of nothing happening, it's a bunch f nothing, Alice shows a vision (executed as a dream sequence), but really nothing. There wasn't actually a fight.

Nov 16 - 03:07 PM

Clarence Jones

Clarence Jones

Jason is correct. The book in a way did suggest Alice let Aro know what would've happened in an eventual conflict. I believe he would have seen the Volturi would have lost. I just was upset that the whole Bella shielding ability wasn't shown fully. I liked in the book that Bella's awesome shielding ability to protect all of her allies made Aro take pause before Alice's arrival. That point was lost with the new ending.

Nov 17 - 10:08 PM

Nathanael C.

Nathanael Culver

Interesting. Not having read the books, I didn't realize the anticlimax was the books' fault. I've now decided not to waste my time reading them. Thanks.

Mar 22 - 12:13 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile