64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Two Faces of January Reviews

Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

July 2, 2014
Tense, moving and fascinating. With both Issac and Dunst giving very strong performances, Mortensen was the true highlight as the husband on the run with his wife. While the characters of Chester and Rydal showed competition over Colette, I was always routing the former despite his bad deeds. An impressive script and the well chosen actors/actress result in a decent directing debut for Amini. One of the best films I've seen so far this year.
Carlos M

June 18, 2014
Even if not exactly impressive or as tense and gripping as it could have certainly been, this is still a pretty efficient directorial debut for Amini, with a solid story about bad choices and disappointment, an exquisite camera work and great performances from the main trio.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

June 3, 2014
an intriguing thriller with excellent performances, photography, and set design. the film is held back from a lack of plot depth and unlikable characters, but overall a very worthwhile watch.
hawkledge
hawkledge

June 30, 2014
Alluring shades-of-grey intrigue, with abundant charm.
JohnCoby
September 16, 2014
Wait for this to come out on Blu Ray. Then rent something else. Turns from being just ridiculous to boring. Even the ending is not satisfying.
September 15, 2014
I heard this very Classic story Book is Never made and I Open going see
this New movie?!!!
September 13, 2014
A reasonable thriller and Viggo looks good in a white linen suit
September 12, 2014
An engrossing romantic thriller that hearkens back to what we love about Hitchcockian thrillers.
Mike N.
September 10, 2014
mildly entertaining but ultimately disappointing.
June 23, 2014
Location! Location! Location! That's what screenwriter/director Hossein Amini must've thought when developing 'The Two Faces of January'.
And with a talented cast that gets to do nothing more than chew through the scenery we can count ourselves lucky that at the very least, it's pretty scenery.
September 2, 2014
There are a lot of elements presented dialectically instead of in a complementary way in Hossein Amini's THE TWO FACES OF JANUARY. The writer / director no doubt purposely made choices for contrast but, in this writer's opinion, the experiment failed from a directorial standpoint. What elements, exactly, are being addressed here? Editing that does nothing in terms of pacing, quickly cuts past transitions and doesn't work in conjunction with the score for any special dramatic effect. A score that is completely misused, even so far as to make the potentially tense scenes feel boring. Disregard for anything that may vary the energy of the film. Although, while I am quick to blame Amini for failures in assembling the movie directorially, I will also be the first to praise his writing. The sharp dialog is natural feeling as well as situated in contexts that are rich with metaphorical value. Helping these metaphors along was the excellent cinematographic work of Marcel Zyskind. Each image was epic in scope, beautiful and meaningful. The greatest achievement of the movie is in its wonderful imagery. All the while, the ensemble does mostly good work in bringing the situations of the text into taut actualization. While Dunst is often under-used (and performance sometimes overplayed), Mortensen and Isaac work masterfully at playing off each other, working as delightful foils and ultimately holding most of the intrigue of the film in their character relationships. This tale of two men and their rivalry is sometimes self-defeating in building tension, but still an interesting character piece layered with great metaphors: a delight to look upon.
August 29, 2014
A thoroughly decent movie that respects the audience. Some great locations, mostly in Athens. It's a three-hander, and in retrospect the chemistry between the three of them could have got under the skin a bit more, rather like in Knife in the Water. As with Patricia Highsmith's other works, a key theme is male one-upmanship but it doesn't play out here quite the way it ought to, especially with the final pay-off, which is nonetheless quite satisfying.

Nothing wrong with any of the performances, and the twists and turns of the plot work well, but if you can't really sympathise too much with the characters, the director ought to have a more mischievous style perhaps, rather like Hitchcock of course. So this is a film that won't wind you up much, but won't ruffle your feathers either.
September 1, 2014
do yourself a favor. When this movie hits the big screen wait for it to hit DVD, then watch something else. What a waste of talent and time. Slow. Unfulfilling. Not much to talk about. It was horrible.
September 1, 2014
Pretty overrated in my opinion... None of the characters are particularly likeable,meaning I had absolutely no emotional investment in any one party coming out on top... Defeats the object of watching a thriller if you don't really care if anyone gets caught. The plot is thrown together by a highly unlikely series of events... Theres zero chemistry here. I'm dumbfounded as to how this has been rated so highly, struggling to find any positives really.
September 1, 2014
Slow and uninvolving psychological drama adapted from the Patricia Highsmith novel - the author of the far superior The Talented Mr. Ripley - set in Greece, an American expat (Oscar Isaac) becomes fascinated with a married couple full of secrets (Viggo Mortensen, Kristen Dunst). When murder becomes involved, he helps them to escape but has a hidden agenda himself. Compared to Ripley, this is stagnant material. Dunst was a bright spot, but the 2 male leads' interaction held no tension and the outcome...predictable. The Greek isles are beautiful and the best aspect to this thriller without thrills...
August 30, 2014
Isaac e foarte misto, Mortensen imbatraneste
August 30, 2014
Well acted but the movie lacks any kind of real climax. It just carries a steady pace throughout the movie. It was nice seeing the country side of the different places they visited. That's all I will take from this movie.
mike hawke
August 29, 2014
what a great fucking movie, all fave actors kiki, viggo, and my new fave oscar from the revenge of jolly, god dam i wish he had more stuff to watch, loved this movie its like one of those old skool thriller,
mark d.
May 13, 2014
The film premiered in February 2014 in the Berlinale Special Galas section of the 64th Berlin International Film Festival
July 20, 2014