The Veteran - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Veteran Reviews

½ May 24, 2015
A simple, taut revenge/thriller that does what it should in an hour & a half. It is led by the brilliance of one Toby Kebbell, who deserves much more than he should be credited for since he singlehandedly carries the film himself. Give this film more than one viewing, as it demands & deserves some respect.
½ June 5, 2015
Awful. While the combat sequences are great, especially the gun battle near the end of the film, this movie takes forever to get off the ground, and is flat-out boring for most of its duration. Plus the ending is pointless and horrible, which really kills the film.
May 13, 2014
The emotional ambiguity of the protagonist infects the viewer - so much so that even a bloodbath climax engenders no feeling, one way or the other.
May 13, 2014
I rented this from Netflix and found it to be a British take on a common movie thread, but enjoyed spending time with this film.
It is low key with some interesting twists. Not entirely unpredictable, but done well.
½ May 13, 2014
Decent British thriller. It's refreshing when a film deviates from the expected; it has anti-hollywood twists & turns. And Toby Kebbell continues to impress.
½ May 13, 2014
Had some major flaws, but overall it was decent. Lol at the villain explaining everything thou. Who does that? :S
½ February 26, 2013
Decent begining,slows in the middle and peters out in the end......not terrible but can not recomend either.
½ May 24, 2015
January 2, 2016
Another brooding movie, but form the UK, good acting however as I liked it, but agree with the critics, just takes too long to get moving with a number of side plots never explained.
½ September 18, 2015
Toby Kebbell plays a returned veteran from Afghanistan who discovers there is a conspiracy with the local hood drug dealers working with the local intelligence bureau. I like Toby Kebbell, he's a good British actor, ever since I saw him in Dead Man's Shoes, and he is good here also. This is a good action film, it can get a bit convoluted at times, but, in the end it entertains, with the final 20 minutes being quite intense, even if it is a predictable final scene. Good film.
½ August 12, 2015
Matthew Hopeā??s film is sadly a bust, so hung up on a hushed, state-of-the-nation authenticity it just sits there, a fuse that keeps fizzing without fully igniting.
½ June 5, 2015
June 4, 2015
This film is good, i like it. Its a crime flick that brings toby kebbell to his finest and his charisma is good. Scripts are not bad but the plot just kills the whole show. This is one of those film that authenticity is there when the action scenes fall.
May 13, 2014
In some ways stereotypical, not very good for soldiers' morale or for relations, but I found it entertaining enough. The whole story about all soldiers having PTSD and being ticking time-bombs and so forth. But its watchable
October 26, 2014
WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW....THRILLING....ENJOYABLE MAN THIS IS SUCH A THRILLING MOVIE 2 WATCH....man I have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that toby kebbell, brian cox, adi bielski, tom brooke, tony curran, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this action/adventure/art house/international/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....man this is such a tough gritty thriller movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch......its got good car chases throughout this movie......I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie......Its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch......it is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....man this is such a sad movie 2 watch....it is a very very tough gritty drama movie 2 watch, it is such a sad movie 2 watch, but it is so powerful movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ September 21, 2014
My take on this, very predictable from the first 10 minutes of the movie. This is also a sleeper, perfect to take a 45 to 50 minute nap to, that is if it doesn't put you into a coma first. This waste of film is also very disrespectful to those that that serve(d) in the armed service. From what I can tell, it seems that inbred street gangs with an IQ equivalent to a plant that wield guns are more deserving of recognition than the true brave men and women who fought, which some lost their lives, for us. Matthew Hope should be ashamed of him self for creating this film.
July 23, 2014
This movie was both far different and better than I expected it to be. It has two different plots, the one the trailer shows seems to be left behined and a different one takes it place. Instead of him fighting against a gang tryin to gain control of an apartment building as I thought, he began work for an agent (I think). The two plots didn't get in the way of each other too much, but I think the original plot idea I expected should have been the focus. But it works out ok, it's not action packed, there's a few parts, but even then they don't come until later on. He's not the ideal action hero like most movies of the type, which is an interesting change. He gets captured, beaten and almost executed, more than once. The first half of the movie isn't all that great, kinda boring with a dull plot, and brings down my rating. But the second half is quite good. It's were stuff starts happening, and when the action takes place. The final shootout with him against the kids in the gang at the apartment was pretty good, with realistic sounds, and less of the insane accuracy that most other movies have. He accidentally kills a innocent woman, and then gets wounded in the neck. As he's sitting down on a couch with one hand on the severe wound and his pistol in the other, a small kid with a pistol walks into the room. I though nothing about it, other than he was going to shoot the kid and someone would come and save him. But to my suprise and disbelief, the young kid shot our main character/hero in the head! I was so suprised, and for the first time I got a ending different than EVERY OTHER ending out there. That was simply the end of the movie, and that interesting/different ending brings up my low rating a lot. So I guess I didn't care much for the film, but the last 15 minutes were worth it for a change. I don't know if more movies should end like this or not, but it's the first time I've seen it happen, and my emotions are mixed.
½ May 13, 2014
A wannabe megalomaniacal political thriller. Fails in all manners. Had potential. Love the British actors. Much better than their American counterparts. Ultimately a disappointing experience.
May 13, 2014
Matthew Hope's far fetched thriller is enjoyable but all over the place. Toby Kebbell as always is excellent and Brian Cox and Tony Curran offer fine support. However, it is the flims bloody climax that makes turns this average conspiracy thriller into one of th efinest films of 2011.