90% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

—— Wilfred: Season 4
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Veteran Reviews

May 13, 2014
Had some major flaws, but overall it was decent. Lol at the villain explaining everything thou. Who does that? :S
Dirty Y.
May 13, 2014
A wannabe megalomaniacal political thriller. Fails in all manners. Had potential. Love the British actors. Much better than their American counterparts. Ultimately a disappointing experience.
May 13, 2014
Toby Kebbell was great!, I also really liked Tom Brooke, Tony Curran in it & Adi Bielski, the whole cast was good! The movie was gritty which I liked, the whole idea about the council estate was great, with the shoot out at the end! This movie for me is a little gem!
May 13, 2014
Excellent stuff but has some major flaws.Toby Kebbell is immense in the lead role, the shoot out in it is brillant for a low budget flick.
May 13, 2014
The movie had -some- decent parts to it. Overall, I'd say it was a disappointing film. It took forever to get anywhere at the beginning. It -did- have some seat-leaning moments to it, however, again I'd say most of the movie you're left wondering what the point in some of the scenes were even there for. The end, was respectable in the fact that 'the Veteran' went off on all the gang members, but the pure fact that he gets owned made the entire movie pointless to watch. You still leave the head gang member around, and the little boy who shoots and kills the Vet still remains unchanged in his allegiance. So in the end, no one really wins. Yes, so you kill what would have been -one- of the terrorist cells (if I'm correct on who they were) but you still have several out there, a gang leader alive, more to join him, an unknown idea of where this 'woman contact' ended up and the main guy dies. Overall...I'd give it a 2/10.
May 13, 2014
This has been done a dozen times. Was a very dull movie.
May 13, 2014
Not bad, considering all...
i liked the veteran ,
May 13, 2014
This film is good, i like it. Its a crime flick that brings toby kebbell to his finest and his charisma is good. Scripts are not bad but the plot just kills the whole show. This is one of those film that authenticity is there when the action scenes fall.
Jason G.
May 13, 2014
The emotional ambiguity of the protagonist infects the viewer - so much so that even a bloodbath climax engenders no feeling, one way or the other.
May 13, 2014
Not a bad movie and that's because its British so it gets extra points. The Americans would have applied too much Hollywood gloss to this movie and would have wrecked it. The back story is far fetched, Believe it or not but all ex soldiers do not leave the forces with ninja fighting skills! Its worth a watch on a Sunday afternoon.
WinnerDoggy
May 13, 2014
I rented this from Netflix and found it to be a British take on a common movie thread, but enjoyed spending time with this film.
It is low key with some interesting twists. Not entirely unpredictable, but done well.
May 13, 2014
A well-directed British flick about a soldier's come back to his estate and his attempts to rebuild his life
May 13, 2014
Horrible movie - horrible acting - horrible script.
A serious waste of time!
Deenja
May 13, 2014
Just happy it didn't follow a typical Hollywood theme. Script could've been better handled. Again I liked how it state the obvious to the audience, so to some there might have seemed to be continuity issues but does everything have to spelt out to the punters?
May 13, 2014
THE VETERAN Honorably Discharges His Weapons ... in the City!

One man's RAMBO is another man's TAXI DRIVER. In an era where the amnesiac Jason Bourne has taken the reins from stalwart James Bond, it's no wonder that stories have grown a bit more convoluted; still, when your back's against the wall, there's no better man to have at your side - or in your service - than the soldier. While THE VETERAN admirably toys with the timeless themes of service to country, loyalty, and redemption, it never truly rises to the challenge, instead simmering way too long with its 'potboiler' terrorist sentiments and carbon-copy heavies who feel the need to map out their villainy in grand speeches. Besides, in the end, nothing shuts up a terrorist quicker than a bullet to the head.

Robert Miller (played by Toby Kebbell) is back home from his tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He's more than a bit shell-shocked, and finding a new job while being thrust back into a thankless society is an even harder campaign to win. Soon, he's tapped by a dark government firm (headed by "Gerry", played by veteran character actor Brian Cox) intent upon waging the War on Terror with private citizens. When his contact Alayna (Adi Bielski) reveals to him that several sleeper cells are secretly bringing weapons into the U.K., Miller realizes he may be the only man with the skills to stop it ... but doing so is going to mean uncovering an even greater conspiracy before it's too late.

For a "race against time" premise, the events of THE VETERAN play out very languid. Far too much time is invested in uncovering precisely what is going on here - the players are all operating from their own hidden agendas, and several of these aren't genuinely revealed until very late in the picture. I can't help but wonder if the script might've benefitted from another draft or two to tighten up the pace. While the climax brings with it the rewards of the bloody glory - Miller's various worlds collide almost too predictably with guns a'blazing - I would've liked to have cared more about these characters. Had that investment have been made, then the conclusion would've had more impact. (Minorly spoilerish, so head to the next paragraph if you must!) As it stands, it all ends most probably where everyone suspected it might (but perhaps hoped it wouldn't), but kudos to the cast and crew for sticking to their convictions in what may be a real downbeat finish if you didn't see it coming. War ain't Hollywood, folks, and it's good to see that Director Matthew Hope stayed true to that singular vision.

It stands to reason that Kebbell does a solid job here and deserves special mention. As the soldier who's tried to leave the battle for quieter times, he's clearly struggling with his re-acclimation into society. The face of every Muslim captures his attention for an uncomfortably long time. He's prone to periods of studying his hands to see if they're shaking. It's easy to tell that he's become a powder keg - his fuse is lit, and he's waiting for the right moment to let it all loose - and, when he blows, even he doesn't want to be around to see it. Circumstances evolve, putting pressure on the right pressure points, and the soldier is left with no other choice but to channel these energies into taking back the streets. It works because Kebbell makes it real, playing it with little pathos as he presses - like the good solider - ever onward.

THE VETERAN isn't an anti-war picture, or, at least, I don't believe it intended to be, though I'll admit it's hard to draw that distinction with a smart script that mostly focuses the audience's attention on the veteran himself. Miller never rises up (or falls down) giving any impassioned narrative - ala Sylvester Stallone in FIRST BLOOD's final scenes - about being damaged as a result of his combat. Instead, it's all up there on the screen. In fact, THE VETERAN never really comments on the war - there are a few passing discussions about Iraq and Afghanistan, with only one key scene addressing how soldiers were really doing the 'leg work' for drug lords who get their products from these third world nations - and, instead, it focuses most of its energies on telling the story of a soldier just too plain tired to hold back his warrior impulses any longer when duty calls.

The film is produced by DMK Productions in cooperation from Inconiq Group, Media One Pro, and Premiere Picture Limited. The disc comes courtesy of Inception Media Group. Photography is solid - colors are muted necessarily due to the presentation of the grim material. I struggled a bit with the sound; accents are thick, and the mix could've been handled better to bring out the dialogue, but I've noticed this doesn't get as much attention with some of these smaller releases. There are no special features - only the film's trailer - which is a bit of a disappointment.

STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. It's not an awful picture; rather, it's a picture dealing with some awful circumstances. War is harsh, and the scars each soldier bears can and will last a lifetime. Fighting for one's homeland only to return home to discover the homeland has been virtually overrun with a (new) clear and present danger will only serve to further aggravate a soldier's paranoia, but those suspicions are better left to be dealt with on the battlefield, not the home front.

In the interests of fairness, I'm pleased to disclose that the fine folks at Inception Media Group provided me with a DVD screener for the expressed purposes of writing this review.
May 13, 2014
Stunning...revelational...are the words that to mind. Honestly, I'm surprised it even got released!
May 13, 2014
Realistic thriller that sometimes overstretches itself by far fetched conspiracies, had me gripped nonetheless.
May 13, 2014
If it knew what it was trying to be then we would too. Goes from bad, to worse.
May 13, 2014
The Veteran is an awesome film. This confirms why I seem to disagree with so many RT reviews. The film should rate about an 89%, but of course it doesn't. That sucks.