64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Viral Factor Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 11, 2012
As much action as you can pack into one film, If you like crime drama this is your film. Could watch this one over and over, English and subtitles. 5 stars 12-10=12
Al S

October 15, 2012
It`s one of the best action movies of 2012, It stands with The Expendables 2 and The Raid: Redemption. A adrenaline-pumping and mind-blowing edge of your seat action-pacjed thriller. An explosive tour de force of an action movie. A totally wild and exhilerating roller-coaster ride from start to finish. Director, Dante Lam is a slam of John Woo and Michael Bay and he just blows you away. Lam crafts another triumph. It`s packed with stylish and exciting action sequences, riveting drama, well-crafted set pieces and two strong performances from its two great leads Jay Chou and Nicholas Tse are pure dynamite, they set the screen on fire with their fury and strong charisma. A spectacular thrill-ride that is deeply moving with emotionally charged characters.
skactopus
skactopus

April 27, 2012
The Viral Factor is indeed viral and Dante Lam has another winner on his hands.After an explosive start, the story that defines this picture goes low and slow for it's character buildup and plot setup; however, once things pick up, they stay that way without much in the way of interruption.The action is highly destructive, in abundance, and the choreography of the shootings are nicely done. The whole second half of the film continuously moves from segment to segment to push things along.Jay Chou finds himself with a character that he can work with, all the while sharing the spotlight with Nicholas Tse. Both work well together, although Tse's character isn't as easy to like as Chou. Andy On suffers because of his constant English dialogue. Ling Peng is a nice touch to the film.The Viral Factor lives up with its action. The story has room for refinement, but all in all, it is a solid 2 hour watch.

April 2, 2012
So while at the local video store I saw a trailer for The Viral Factor and thought it was going to be an action packed movie. It was action packed for sure, but it really doesn't anything else other than that.

The Viral Factor is about International Security Affairs agent Jon who gets shot in the head during an escort mission and loses the criminal he was escorting. I would go on with the short synopsis, but if I do it'll ruin what little story it has. If you're looking a compelling story look elsewhere, this offers none of that. One reason being is that it's directed by Dante Lam, which is was a bad sign to begin with. Unlike Fire of Conscience where he spends to much time developing to many characters, The Viral Factor forgets about that and goes into action mode for most of the movie. One noticeable example of poor writing is the death of a character important to Jon who only shares one scene with him before dying. This will leave no impact on the audience as he doesn't get developed, just like everything else in this movie, and extends the movie longer than it needs to be. Which was another complain of mine, the movie is longer than it needed to be and drags out with the only purpose is to show us more violence.

Dante Lam sure loves violence in this movie since that's pretty much the only time he put any effort into this movie. He tosses away dramatic scenes, even some that were really important to the movie and uses them at the end to little effect. Now the action scenes are entertaining no doubt, but they would've been more enjoyable if they had the story go along with it. Enough focus on the story, the cast on the other hand is likable. That's all, they give bland performances and sometime deliver dialogue that just clearly state the obvious in the movie. Now I'm sure Dante Lam is capable of directing a good movie, but this won't impress you and it lacks most of the elements for good entertainment.

The Viral Factor is a poorly written, over long movie that only focuses on the violence. Now while it did pass the time for me, I suggest looking elsewhere because this won't offer anything memorable and lacks the full entertainment values.
Fascade F

March 18, 2013
High octane over the top action packed revenge mode flick. Living in his last days, agent Jon (Jay Chou) fulfills the obligations of his mother's request only to find himself in the middle of a "tug of war" match between himself vs. his estranged brother's Yeung (Nicholas Tse) criminal organization. When the organization takes Yeung's daughter hostage and uses her as a host for the global viral contamination...the brother's join forces to stop the criminal element from succeeding in their master plan for world supremacy. The action never lets up. Exceptionally over the top action flick.
January 22, 2012
Instead of Hollywood releasing a big blockbuster around the world at the same time, Asia is beating them at their own game! Enough explosions and gun play for anyone.
December 6, 2012
NICE, once again- great cinematography, fight choreography, lighting, and solid forward movement. Gives you a good 2 minutes of breathing room in-between 2 hours of action that prove how weak Bay movies are.
April 12, 2013
I was hoping to see the ending of the movie, but it just never stopped. Action fatigued.
February 15, 2013
Decent film.
Action filled but nothing special or memorable in particular.
decent acting by JC.
Predictable storyline.
Wtf cinematography, *earthquake!!. omg pening. @.@.
September 18, 2012
Lots of great action sequences. Nicholas Tse is crazier then ever:) Jay Chou plays a different type of character than usual that I thought worked very well.
September 7, 2012
I highly recommend this film. Intense action sequences, slick direction. The plot although having a ridiculous premise is still engaging enough to watch. I enjoyed it!!
June 30, 2012
One of the very high tension Action Movie for this year, with a very solid collaboration from Jay and Nic, but unfortunately a very predictable story and ending..
May 19, 2012
Dante Lam is Author of New Masterpiece Action Hong Kong

April 2, 2012

March 26, 2012
A nicely done action film from Asian film makers. It has the goods in overall presentation, though I felt that the action scenes are more likely reused "Bourne" scenes sort of. But then, the story is flat as expected, there are a lot of bad and ridiculous moments and made this so over the top. Not good nor not bad at all. This just proves Asian films can be a Hollywood caliber.
February 14, 2012
An Asian film with a good choice of characters but somehow suffers in the story line. Much could be learned from other films having longer running time. Very basic story with a touch of "Viral" disease which didn't worked out well.

Also noticed that the cab drivers could speak Mandarin in the movie. If you are from KL, I guess you would notice this flaw in the movie too.
January 20, 2012
Critics might have already panned this film. Characters are as predictable as always, but it is a vast improvement to most of Dante Lam's film, with a very solid direction and it's an energizing flick of thriller, a great example of how an action movie should be edited.
January 8, 2012
It's a good action movie. Really fast pace and doesn't give audiences a time to rest. I don't really like action movie. Also, they should add more family scene in it. So in the end it will be more touching. Jay did a great job this time. <3
January 31, 2012
The story does have some emotional touch. But the excessive use of shaky camera and quick cutting just spoiled the geography of nice action sequences, and in the end it just an experiment to proof that it can be better than "The Bourne Ultimatum" (In fact the use of shaky camera in "The Bourne Ultimatum" is way more better than this movie.)